The official Breaking Bad is an awesome fucking show thread.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 3, 2005
dope episode but what was Gus talking about when he asked the old man "is today the day?" then they showed the flashback scene with the Don (Steven Bauer, Manolo from Scarface btw) and then he pats him on the shoulder and says "maybe next time." Kinda confused about that one.

Jun 23, 2009
dope episode but what was Gus talking about when he asked the old man "is today the day?" then they showed the flashback scene with the Don (Steven Bauer, Manolo from Scarface btw) and then he pats him on the shoulder and says "maybe next time." Kinda confused about that one.
i was wondering the same thing... good fuckin episode tho!! i liked seeing more about gus' past...

Aug 24, 2003
i think its right there in front of your faces and you aren't seeing it, this was a revealing of the true nature of gus and hectors relationship, and one of the best scenes ive ever seen in television in my entire life. he means revenge for hector shooting his brother (friend?) in the flashback when he was trying to get started. you have to remember gus is beyond a mere man, he is the personification of evil.

after the death of most of hectors family, tuco, the twins, its obvious that gus has taken hectors health care into his own hands, providing him an old folks home / hospice to live in (how else would he be able to freely walk in there and visit?) gus has been keeping hector updated on the deaths of his family members, and rubbing it into his face with extreme disrespect; with hector obviously not being able to retaliate. for instance after the twins died "this is what comes of blood for blood hector". gus was rubbing it in hectors face that he was the one who called Hank and gave him the heads up on his assassination, allowing hank to kill hectors nephews. gus is keeping him alive in his poor health so that hector can see his entire family and cartel associates die before his eyes, so that ultimately gus will have the last laugh when he is the ultimate power and authority., and hector has nothing left, including his health, and must continue to live and not be allowed to die. gus is exacting a very slow and extreme revenge against hector for killing his chicken restaurant partner in the past, by keeping him alive and killing everyone around him, while he is powerless to do anything in his poor health.

"is today the day hector?"
hector wants to die, an enforcer like hector would spit in the face of a mortal enemy and tell them to fucking kill him already. gus wont let hector die, instead hes making him suffer as much as possible, leaving him to sit there and rot in emotional agony in his poor health; he wont simply let him escape his prison by ending his life.
"no, maybe next time"
gus is straight up one bad ass sick motherfucker. gus wants him to know that there are things worse than death. that there can be hell on earth. gus will not kill hector until hector knows that all of his family and all of his cartel associates from the past are dead
i know i probably said the same shit like 5 different ways but i hope that clears it up.
i could be way wrong

gus is the true alpha dog. walter white isnt shit. im going to be pissed off if they allow walter white to kill off gus and takeover, it would be completely illogical and bullshit and a cop-out fairy tale story

Go home and be a family man walter white.
this shit is real and this shit is full-time, you dont just jump into this shit.

Aug 24, 2003
just rewatched some of this episode and i missed something. gus also rubbed in hectors face when the dude got killed during that swat raid back a season or two ago. which i didnt notice is this guy

gus is telling him that he was responsible for his death, as well as the death of his nephews. gus talked to him right before his death. gus called hank and let hank know to expect the twin assassins.
"Is today the day?" = is today the day I tell you that Don Eladio is dead as well? Is today the day that you are the only one left from that day my business partner was killed, the only one standing in my way of my 20+ year long vengeance for murdering my business partner? its as if that one moment in time has shaped gus' entire existence for the past twenty years and has driven him to be the ruthless incarnation of evil that he is today. once again, this is the probably the best scene ive ever seen on television, and this revelation of gus' past and the subsequent shaping of his future character is simply stunning. all that stands in gus' way for complete vindication is Don Eladio; once he's out of the way, itd be interesting to see if gus would choose to kill hector or keep him alive to live his tortured vegetable like existence. im also wondering if gus is somehow reponsible for the state that hector is in today (unable to move, unable to talk)

im completely amazed with the character of gus and mike as well. they almost completely overshadow walt and jesse in my eyes. giancarlo esposito (gus) has completely stolen the show in my eyes. and mike remains mysterious and almost untouchable with his near double agent like skills. but another great thing about this show is your opinion of a character can change completely when more of their character / past is revealed.

its a damn shame gus is likely going to be killed. as long as walt or jesse aren't the ones to do it; that shit would kinda ruin the show for me

Dec 3, 2005
thats great thanks Butcher! I was thinking along those lines somewhat just not to the extent that you broke it down. Very nice. And thanks for the link, I'm bout to watch it again, I think I deleted it off my dvr. I was excited to see Steven Bauer's performance as the Don, he had been saying on facebook all week to watch for him, I'm glad he's getting some roles again, he had a drug problem for a long time, he actually did part of the intro to the 2-0-Sickness album we put out years ago. anyway, thanks for the insite, this is a great fucking show

Jan 9, 2004
I agree with Butcher, he broke it down really good. The only thing I can add is Mike seems to be an ex law enforcement with his contacts from high up. Did he say Gus was not on anyone's radar? Also did you all notice when Walt ran to the lab to grovel at the camera and make more promises he can't keep, that the camera wasn't even recording his dumb ass? It's like Gus already moved on and Walt is dead to him.

Anyways, the only criticism I can even make of the show and t's such a little thing is that I hate how Gus just totally screws up the pronounciation of the Spanish language. I'm surprised because I've seen Esposito speak Spanish before and it's like he twists it all up as Gus. Anyways best episode of the season and best show on TV.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
I agree with Butcher but not on everything.

I think it was clear that Gus was telling hector to look into his eyes as a sign of "I am the Big man here"......but Hector wouldn't look into his eyes so Gus, knowing he still has guys to take care of (kill) says "Maybe next time"......

That flashback scene was incredible though. Gus must be very connected politically or family must be big shots because Don wouldn't kill him. Great fucking episode!

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
So Gus is planning for war with the cartel? I don't know if he can with that one, maybe just the battle to keep his territory without the cartel sicking their beak in, but I'm doubtful. He'll probably die at the end of this(or next) season. :(

Last 2 episodes have been some of the best in the entire series, I hope it leads up to a great season finale.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I don't think he's planning to go to war to take them over. I think he just wants them out of his territory up north. He was trying to offer a severeness package.

after the flashback you can totally see why he doesn't want to give them a continuous cut, they basically said fuck him and his product - and don't respect him. The show really turned Gus into a complex character. To bad he's going to die soon.

I agree with Butcher, it would really dumb if Walt killed him... its not believable. It is believable for Walt to take over after his death.

* I been watching Soprano's concurrently with breaking bad... I have to say as good as Soprano's is... breaking bad kick's it ass - it leaves me guessing and speculating.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
* I been watching Soprano's concurrently with breaking bad... I have to say as good as Soprano's is... breaking bad kick's it ass - it leaves me guessing and speculating.
I have too, and I'd have to disagree. Kind of apples & oranges tho.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I have too, and I'd have to disagree. Kind of apples & oranges tho.
True its not fair to compare both shows. Soprano's has a different family dynamic - the show has a completely different feel and flow.

I been watching Soprano's in between showings of breaking bad. After Soprano's im moving on to the wire. I've heard nothen but awesome stuff about that show aswell.

Aug 24, 2003
I agree with Butcher but not on everything.

I think it was clear that Gus was telling hector to look into his eyes as a sign of "I am the Big man here"......but Hector wouldn't look into his eyes so Gus, knowing he still has guys to take care of (kill) says "Maybe next time"......

That flashback scene was incredible though. Gus must be very connected politically or family must be big shots because Don wouldn't kill him. Great fucking episode!

good point
that still brings the question up as to when don eladio is dead, will gus kill off hector, or let him live knowing that gus is now king shit

i think the only people that could kill gus without leaving a bad taste in everybodys mouth is his own people from chile. i can totally picture some guy from chile, gus's father perhaps, or whoever is secret in his past, killing him for starting the war with the cartel or killing him for bringing heat on the whole operation. that would be the only thing that would make sense. mike killing gus is laughable and stupid, the same with walt or jesse. gus getting caught by the DEA wouldnt make sense either. gus getting killed by the cartel would be lame too.

i think whatever is in his past from chile will be the death of gus