Something that I think is fucking up rap

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 10, 2002
I was thinking bout something that I hate about rap music and Im getting sick of all of these so called drug dealers trying to rap yapping bout flipping keys and selling to all of the addicts and bullshit like that. I can understand if its something that you have done in the past and just want to explain about being part of that. but its the dudes that just talk about it 24-7 every other damm song. I mean damm dont you think that kids are gonna be listening to this shit thinking that its cool to be the dope man cuz its not. I know there are some of you that are gonna say something stupid about what im talking bout. but im the son of 2 heroin addicts and Ive seen the downside of this shit. My mom died because of a dirty needle and my dad is still out there. but yet these niggas steady screaming and yelling bout getting rich, they dont look at the pain and suffering that they inflict on the others and there familys. call me a hater if ya want. but I call myself a realist.

Jun 10, 2002
yeah I mean damm they rap like thats the only fucking thing they know how to talk bout and kids will listen to this shit and Yeah Rick Ross came to mind when I was thinking bout this. Rick Ross stole his name from Freeway Ricky Ross if ya really think bout it

Dec 25, 2003
It's what it reely is buddy... That shit bothers me alot too cuz that basically all they can talk about over and over and over again, and that's their pride and they reely didnt other options in life cuz of course they make tons and tons of money and get so rich reel quick while we ourselves are still tryin to strive off of minimum wage to even strivin to get into college and even strivin to transfer into one of the top universities just to obtain a degree and finally gettin a high-paying career so we can buy a house, a car, and enjoy living a decent lifestyle while they are tryin to become a much more powerful force and impact to our troubling neigbhorhoods even though it's a sinister force and it's a bad look, nonetheless!!!!!!
But those rappers still give a fuck less and continue to brag about it and glorify it both in their and their videos like it's a cool glamorous and an acceptable thing to do even though it's an ignorant deed to commit!!!

...and it's nothing new; it's long been a major and acceptable aspect in the hip-hop culture, since the very beginning so nevertheless, that lifestyle and it's fad isnt gonna die at all anyway!!! It's here to stay, in the streets and in hip-hop!!!

May 30, 2006
Jeezy & TI came 2 mind right away.

But itz like I said in another post before. Catz like Ice-T use 2 have real flossy lyrics showing the player lifestyle in hiz music videos etc. but if u listen 2 what he waz saying, he waz against selling drugs, he wanted niggaz 2 stop banging, decribed the game az something that just lookz good but the shit waz fake. On top of that he hiz lyrics were so graphic & gangsta & hiz beatz were so hard that u thought that he waz just spittin some gangsta gangsta shit but @ the same time he waz really knockin u up side the head with a positive message but explicitly from a hustler/players perspective. He doesn't get any credit 4 that.

Jun 15, 2005
The Evil Genius said:
Jeezy & TI came 2 mind right away.

But itz like I said in another post before. Catz like Ice-T use 2 have real flossy lyrics showing the player lifestyle in hiz music videos etc. but if u listen 2 what he waz saying, he waz against selling drugs, he wanted niggaz 2 stop banging, decribed the game az something that just lookz good but the shit waz fake. On top of that he hiz lyrics were so graphic & gangsta & hiz beatz were so hard that u thought that he waz just spittin some gangsta gangsta shit but @ the same time he waz really knockin u up side the head with a positive message but explicitly from a hustler/players perspective. He doesn't get any credit 4 that.
I'm not trying to get into it with you, but Ice has never denied being a pimp on all levels, and glorified being able to play the game with utmost intricacy. He'll spit about this and that on rhymes and interviews, yet be onan HBO special speaking about how hard a pimp he is.

Don't get me wrong, Ice is as cool as they come and I respect his place in Hip-Hop, but dude has never spit only on the positive side of things.

nob0die said:
i guess yall hate movies like Scarface, Menace II society, Boyz in the hood, Carlitos Way and any other movie that glorifies drug selling??? yall think too fuckin much into shit... it is what it is... quit bitchin about what another man is doin to get money... if u dont like it.. do something...or shutup.... this board is a bunch of whinin old fucks wishin time would stay still so that u can bboy and bop all day.... rap has evolved... it will never be back how it was... even ya old rappers from back in the day are rappin about new shit.... if they rap about bboyin and breakin nobodies gonna buy that crap... nor are people actually gonna listen to it..i wish i was on siccness back in the day to see if somebody was bitch about rap changin when JAyz came out with REasonable doubt... where he GLORIFIED sellin dope.... now he's your favorite rapper... u fucks are stupid... die slow u golden oldie rap fans....
Agreed. You cant have it both ways. Reject all that shit or just admit you're a hypocrite on some level. I'll go first.

May 15, 2002
When I rap about sellin dope, I rap about it in a way that tells you I did it, but I wouldnt go back to that lifestyle. Pretty much tellin my young audience that they dont wanna get involved in it. But youre right, alot of these rappers are sendin the message sayin that if youre not sellin dope, then youre lame as fuck. Pretty much sayin that u gotta be a drug dealer in order to be considered "real."

May 30, 2006
enserio said:
I'm not trying to get into it with you, but Ice has never denied being a pimp on all levels, and glorified being able to play the game with utmost intricacy. He'll spit about this and that on rhymes and interviews, yet be onan HBO special speaking about how hard a pimp he is.

Don't get me wrong, Ice is as cool as they come and I respect his place in Hip-Hop, but dude has never spit only on the positive side of things.

Agreed. You cant have it both ways. Reject all that shit or just admit you're a hypocrite on some level. I'll go first.
I hear what u saying about Ice but I noticed that the pimp game iz the only game that Ice doesn't talk down on. A lot of rappers from Jay-Z, Yukmouth 2 E-40 spit about the dope game. Personally I don't have a problem with anyone spitting lyrics about the dope game or the game in general az long az that artist TRY to take some kind of responisiblity 4 there lyrics. Rick Ross kills me though. I can't remember where I read it where he said something like he can't funtion without making 10 million $ a year. LOL!

Jan 20, 2007
IamGilgamesh.guru
nob0die said:
i guess yall hate movies like Scarface, Menace II society, Boyz in the hood, Carlitos Way and any other movie that glorifies drug selling??? yall think too fuckin much into shit... it is what it is... quit bitchin about what another man is doin to get money... if u dont like it.. do something...or shutup.... this board is a bunch of whinin old fucks wishin time would stay still so that u can bboy and bop all day.... rap has evolved... it will never be back how it was... even ya old rappers from back in the day are rappin about new shit.... if they rap about bboyin and breakin nobodies gonna buy that crap... nor are people actually gonna listen to it..i wish i was on siccness back in the day to see if somebody was bitch about rap changin when JAyz came out with REasonable doubt... where he GLORIFIED sellin dope.... now he's your favorite rapper... u fucks are stupid... die slow u golden oldie rap fans....
If you pay any attention whatsoever to those movies, it shows the drug use and selling as bad. Atleast in the first, ain't seen the others. Montana becomes lonely, paranoid, and miserable. And dies that way, for his way. In Menace, they're all trying to LEAVE that life, and show O Dog as being psycho and that what he does ISN'T good. You gotta be retarded not to see that.

I'm only eighteen, so you can't say I miss old days, and I personally don't like very much old hip hop at ALL, but one of the points I saw made that people haven't elaborated on, was that a lot of these rappers ONLY talk about that. They repeat themselves. I know King Gordy isn't mainstream, and I'm sure there are those of you that dislike him, but his newest album is a perfect example of that. He talks about dealing drug through every single song throughout the WHOLE album. If anything, it's lame as fuck how they have to rely on talking about a lifestyle to get anywhere. They can't be individuals and talk about shit from THEIR life, instead of the same shit every kid who deals goes through? They do it on another level, woopdy do. Shit's boring. They're the reason hip hop is a mockery to most fans of other genres.

Apr 25, 2003
www.myspace.com
nob0die said:
I agree with you to a certain point. If you know the truth then you know how the outcome of each of those movies turned out. Then you would understand the point in this discussion.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

great post, I feel wat you are saying. But more then the artist its the record labels that are fuckin up the game, they only give you a chance if you talk about those things, these are the guys really fucking up the game. If you are talking about some positive shit, they dont wanna fuck with you.

Rap on t.v. and radio to me is entertainment and thats all. I listen to some of that shit, when I'm in the club, when I feel like knockin some tight beats or just party and thats it. But HipHop/Rap thats not made to sell 5 gazillion copys is where its at, coz these people arent doing it just for the money. Saying they are not doing it for the money is stupid, almost everything is done for money, everybody gotta eat. But its not JUST for money.

I just got done reading a book by Jimmy Santiago Baca, dude that wrote 'Blood in Blood out'. He's a poet and in the book he talks about his struggles being an uneducated broke chicano trying to come up in the white mans world. And even after he educates himself in prison and becomes a well known poet and still struggling to live pay check to pay check. He wants money, obviously but he said that its the worst thing to do to an artist to shower em with money and other things. You need to feel the struggle and go thru shit inorder to be an poet and if you dont have the struggle, the writings arent coming from the heart. Money can destroy true artists and (most) rappers on t.v. are self glorifying egomaniacs so shit only makes them more arrogant then they already are...

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

^^i really dont kno, it could be..

I always used to wonder why teachers get paid so little, being that they are probably gonna have a big influence on the kids life and they alot of times inspire alot of kids but the same thing aplies to that. Not paying the teachers big ammout of money weeds out people that might just do it for the money instead of having a passion for teaching kids. I mean I still felt bad for seeing one of the best professors at my university driving around in a beat up bucket but I guess he was happy with where he was at coz I'm sure he had enough knowledge of business and economics to start and profit from a business if he wanted to.

Nov 1, 2004
nob0die said:
i guess yall hate movies like Scarface, Menace II society, Boyz in the hood, Carlitos Way and any other movie that glorifies drug selling??? yall think too fuckin much into shit... quit bitchin about what another man is doin to get money... this board is a bunch of whinin old fucks .... rap has evolved... if they rap about bboyin and breakin nobodies gonna buy that crap... JAyz came out with REasonable doubt... where he GLORIFIED sellin dope.... u fucks are stupid... die slow u golden oldie rap fans....
Yeah... yO... AyyO... Dem gangsta shit man... dem boyz is soft man.... dont pya no attenshan man... dem boyz stupid man... dem dont undastand biznizz man... BOYAKA! Me gon sell a milian N make a milian..... Even yo mama gon buy shit from me.... But when ya find dat out and step up to me.... YOU DEAD MAN..... MUHAHAHAA.... I BET U DONT EVEN KNOW IT.....