Should I be worried about Spokeo.com?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 29, 2005
If you value your privacy, IMO......

In case you haven’t heard about the website already, Spokeo is a new information gathering web service that allows users to search for the personal information of strangers, friends, co-workers, etc. From this description, it doesn’t sound like anything new, as Facebook, Twitter, and even Google allows users to do essentially the same thing. However, if this was the case, than this blog would be pretty pointless. “Nothing to report here, just move along.”

What Spokeo does to really crank up its creep factor and set itself apart from other information gathering web services is the amount of searchable personal data it provides to users. Everything from where a person lives, to how many people are in their family, household income, relationship status, age, even when they had their first kiss, and more, is available on Spokeo. The website accomplishes this feat by searching through other websites, such as those previously mentioned ones, as well as other public databases and uses the data it finds to compile a person’s profile. It really is quite creepy. I searched my own name and was able to find my personal information on the site, all of which was reported within incredibly accurate detail. Thankfully, though if one wants to see the more intimate details of another person’s life, they’ll have to fork up a subscription fee to Spokeo.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
Thanks to LawyerCT for bringing this topic up on /r/technology. She also provided a list of the top sites online that hold data on you.
I decided to go ahead and use this list to collect removal procedures from ALL of these websites and provide direct links or instructions to do so.
The following list was provided as being the "big boys", so if you remove your name from these ones then all the smaller "sites" should fall afterwards.

• Intelius.com
  • Acxiom.com
  • MyLife.com
  • ZabaSearch.com
  • Spoke.com
  • BeenVerified.com
  • PeekYou.com
  • USSearch.com
  • PeopleFinders.com
  • PeopleLookup.com
  • PeopleSmart.com
  • PrivateEye.com
  • WhitePages.com
  • USA-People-Search.com
  • Spokeo.com
  • PublicRecordsNow.com
  • DOBSearch.com
  • Radaris.com
How to remove yourself from each of these have been listed below. I would recommend that you scan some form of ID such as a state issued ID like a drivers license. Black out your picture and drivers number. Leaving your name, address and DOB visible. Any sites that requires such a thing will have an * after the address.
Intelius.com* - Opt-out
Acxiom.com - Opt-out
MyLife.com - To request that a Member Profile or Public Profile be deleted, please contact Customer Care at 1-888-704-1900 or contact us by email at [email protected]. Upon receipt of these requests, and confirmation that you are requesting that your own profile be removed, please allow MyLife 10 business days to complete this removal. It may be necessary to contact you to validate that you are the profile owner requesting the removal. This is to ensure the correct identity and profile ownership before completing these requests, and is for the protection of our users and their privacy.
Zabasearch.com* - Opt-out
Spokeo.com - Opt-out
BeenVerified.com - LawyerCT's guide
Peekyou.com - Opt-Out
USSearch.com* - Opt-Out
PeopleFinders.com - Opt-Out: Annoying form you have to mail in
PeopleLookup.com* - In order for PeopleLookup to suppress or opt out your personal information from appearing on our Website, we need to verify your identity. To do this, we require faxed proof of identity. Proof of identity can be a state issued ID card or driver's license. If you are faxing a copy of your driver's license, we require that you cross out the photo and the driver's license number. We only need to see the name, address and date of birth. We will only use this information to process your opt out request. Please fax to 425-974-6194 and allow 4 to 6 weeks to process your request.
PeopleSmart.com - Opt-Out
PrivateEye.com - Opt-Out
Whitepages.com - Opt-Out
USA-People-Search.com - Opt-Out: Yet another form to mail in
Spoke.com - Scroll Down to Access and Correction Section for more info
PublicRecordsNow.com - Still determining how to remove...
DOBSearch.com* - In order for us to “opt out” your public information from being viewable on the public DOBsearch People Finder search results, we need to verify your identity and require faxed proof of identity. Proof of identity can be a state issued ID card or driver's license, or notarized letter. If you are faxing a copy of your driver's license, you may cross out the photo and the driver's license number. We only need to see the name, address and date of birth. Please fax to 516-717-3017 and allow 4 to 6 weeks to completely process your request. It is your responsibility to ensure legibility of your document
Radaris.com - Opt-Out; Thanks to those who figured it out.
Those are all the major sites. Of course, you could go to the topic mentioned in the beginning of this post and find LawyerCT's business in the comments on having a team of professionals remove these for you at a fee.

Jan 9, 2007
Seattle
I also noticed it had me listed at another house I lived at and showed a picture of that place too...my car was even parked in the driveway so anyone who knows me would know thats exactly where i live...Same with my mom. Im thinking about getting a subscription tho just so I can see what else it knows about me

this shit is ridiculous....aint no such thing as privacy now that the internet is around...

$ileNt_eNe_ATL

Jefe De Los Pollos
Aug 12, 2005
wtf man i searched my self and I found my house and all of my previous addresses.... Thats crazy shit... Then i googled my self and found all my mug shots.. I tried to email them to remove but they charge like $150 per file