Question about SF Nortenos/Surenos

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
A

Asylum-K.N.T.

peep , way back in the late 70's early 80's 24st. use to be the spot for all latinos to bring their low riders and hella hoes ...think of Santa Clara Street on Cinco de Mayo...All Bay area latinz use to roll to 24st on Fridays and Saturdays. 24st has always been the most popping area in the District , Satana use to throw free concerts on 2-4. Scraps that got booted from their sets came up to Northern Cali and established their own sets , so imgine this , all scrap sets have been founded by people that their own sets have booted them and/or want to kill them for being rats , so most of these rats are on the run from scraps down south.
The conflict between Nortenos and Surenos street gangs in California has lasted for over 30 years. Most of the problems date back to the California prison system and arose from conflicts between inmates affiliated with La EME (many from East L.A.) and EME dropouts (the author of the NF Constitution was a former EME member) and inmates who were originally from Northern California. The catalyst big event it all started over was a pair of shoes with the L.A. guys treating the Northern guys like “Farmers” and a bunch of “Busters” and disrespecting. The EME began preying on weaker Chicano inmates in the 1960’s which some felt was against the “Chicano Pinto Power” and protection thing they started out as. To this day, Nortenos call Southerners “SURats”. (Some of the Maravilla gangs also use this term now).

After the Nuestra Familia came to power in the late 60’s, Norteno inmates used the letter "N" to symbolize their allegiance to the North, since "N" is the 14th letter (XIV) of the alphabet. The NF chose red since La EME had adopted the color blue and SUR 13. Years ago, before the Crips and the Bloods, the state prison system gave out either blue or red bandannas. The Nortenos took the red ones, also the color and symbols of the United Farm Workers and Cesar Chavez who was big in Delano at the time. (California just named a state holiday after this great man and union organizer). The Norte-Sur line is now roughly drawn across from Delano to Salinas with the greater Fresno area separate of both. There are few Nortenos below the line, many Surenos above it. Outside of California the lines are even more blurry. You can sometimes find Nortenos and Surenos living in the same vicinity especially in the Northwest U.S. where there are not well established or traditional varrios, but sometimes you can even find Nortenos and Surenos in the same family households!

Many of these Norte street gang members joined the Nuestra Familia when they got to the joint. The lines were not as clearly drawn in the early days as they are today. In general, Nortenos gangs get along with most Black gangs in prison because of the BGF-NF alliance. After the RICO against the NF in the early 1980’s, the brother of an NF General set up the Northern Structure (now Nuestra Raza) to continue operations under the Constitution of the “14 Bonds”. These guys really do believe they are soldiers in a military war! They have different ranks or “Cats” (categories). All of the Norteno cliques or “Regiments” ride in different “Squads” on the yard sometimes called “cars”. The headquarters for the Nortenos and NF was San Jose but later moved to Stockton.

Nortenos account for most of the violence at the San Francisco County Jail. Just as the SUR rules or “reglas” are put out at the L.A. County jail, Nortenos are expected to follow the 14 Bonds at SFCJ. The Mission District in San Francisco is home to many different gangs. One of the oldest gangs in the Bay Area is San Fran Mission (SFM. The Hayward and Visalia cars have very strong Norteno ties too. Stockton and Sacramento (and at one time Fresno) have also been known for large contingents of Nortenos.

While Norteno numbers are much smaller than Surenos, these guys are much more organized! In March of 2000, a Nuestra Raza member was killed execution-style near Castroville. His hands were arranged to show the 1-4 so everybody would know that it was serious business! The orders were believed to come down form the pen because he refused orders to kill his brother who was an NR dropped out. They are pulling bigger and bigger jobs such as when a NF Capt. From Lodi, CA presently indicted on a RICO statute who was schooling the younger Norteno guys how to do “cowboy operation robberies”. Nortenos are big into drug dealing and have their won “banks”. Federal and local law enforcement agencies just recently arrested 26 suspected members of a South Stockton gang during a narcotics bust that netted 30 pounds of methamphetamine!

Most California Chicano gangs, claim either Norteno or Sureno or Centros (F14). As gang members moved around they take this allegiance with them. Nortenos are found in most of the Western part of the United States but are not as wide spread across the U.S. as the Surenos are. Nortenos are now found as far away as in Chicago and New York where they fly under the Chicano Nation or Familia Ridas. Sometimes whole gangs will move to another area because of law enforcement pressure. When a Sureno moves into a Norteno neighborhood there will be conflict! One of the largest sources of conflict we have between Hispanic gangs right now is the migration of Sureno gangs into Central and Northern California neighborhoods. In Santa Rosa, there has been a recent push of Southerners into the area, with several stabbings of Nortenos this summer.

Many Norteno gang members will wear 49’er gear, Nebraska hats, or UNLV (Us Nortenos Love Violence). Make sure that this isn’t the only identifier if you pull one over! Another non-verbal identifier for the Nortenos has been the Mongolian hairstyle. A top knot or pony-tail growing from the top / back portion of the head. This came out of CDC and was adopted on the street. In some Northern Cal jurisdictions, law enforcement was able to educate the judges that this was another non-verbal self-admission by gang members of their Norteno affiliation/membership.

When of the growing trends amongst Hispanic gangsters is the promotion of their gangs through rap music. The “14th” track on the “17 Reasons” Black/Brown CD is called “North Side Soldier” by a rapper from SFM. The “Generation of United Nortenos” or G.U.N. and Darkroom Familia label also promote gang violence. Rap was at first considered “Black music” by Surenos. Surenos would only listen to Oldies. (See reprint of the Latino Rap Article). Now Surenos rap music groups are just as big as Norteno ones. A rapper from Darkroom Familia was recently indicted on a RICO statute.

Last year, three ex-convicts pled guilty to the April 1999 killing of former Nuestra Familia leader Robert “Brown Bob” Viramontes and another gang member from San Jose who participated in the hit, but botched his part. Two defendants were sentenced to 50 years to life in prison, and the other received a sentence of 25 years to life. A new RICO indictment was just handed down in April 2001 against thirteen members of the NF after “Operation Black Widow”. The catalyst for the case were several previously unconnected homicides in Sonoma County in Northern California and the NF ordered execution of longtime NF member Michael “Mikeo” Castillo who was not “taking care of business”.

The escalating violence between Nortenos and Surenos in California and elsewhere is expected to continue for a long time. Police Officers, Corrections, and the public need to be aware of this historical feud if we are to ever hope to end the violence…

M

MrFreeze

YOUNGMOE said:
i've never been to 24th and Capp and not seen all them cats flamed up with the RIP SCOOBY shirts
ya their still deep on 22rd/bryant too but not on mission like they used to. i think po-po's hated on em chillin on mission so they hit the sidestreets.

M-1

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
MrFreeze said:

ya their still deep on 22rd/bryant too but not on mission like they used to. i think po-po's hated on em chillin on mission so they hit the sidestreets.
hell yeah...they had some raids a few months ago..for almost 3 weeks in a row, I saw paddy-wagons almost every night from 25th to 17th...I'm glad it's about the papes too..

Feb 23, 2008
yup 24th is dead now. nobody can post up without getting a ticket for loitering or going to jail.
the only time i saw homeboys on 24th was when i met up with my homies at the mcdonald's and there were og's eating at a table

Dec 6, 2005
yup 24th is dead now. nobody can post up without getting a ticket for loitering or going to jail.
the only time i saw homeboys on 24th was when i met up with my homies at the mcdonald's and there were og's eating at a table
r u fuckin kidding me u hella trippin itz been crackin like fuck lately just like da old dayz we even tagged up 19st last week all da street signz down there got a 22B on em

May 30, 2006
I've seen some Mexican cats out here on LA sporting red but I'm not sure of they were civilains or not......It would be very hard for me to beleive there are any Nortenos out here.....The Surenos outnumber the Bloods and Crips combined so what the fuck a small clique of Nortenos gonna do......lol....No disrespect cuz I got love for my Norte playas......And thats some bullshit about So Cal looking ran down and Nor Cal looking nice......I've been to every city in Cali and the "worst looking" ghettos I've seen by far is Watts, West Oakland, South Stockton, East Palo Alto and North Richmond.......But at the same time Nor Cal has the best looking areas too IMO......S.Cal esp LA is way over populated and thats why it cost so much but Frisco is equally as expensive as LA as far as housing and cost of living.

SLICC RICC

Encapuchado
Jan 4, 2005
There's Norteno sets in Southern Cal but not a lot only a few. Pacific Varrio Catorce from West Los Angeles. RWP from North Hollywood and some other sets from West Los Angeles I think and San Diego.
DAMN THIS POST IS OLD...

THIS FOO MUSTVE BEEN DROPPED ON HIS HEAD WHEN HE WAS AN INFANT...