Poll: Are CD's really dying? What do you think?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

What format do you listen to music in?

• Mp3 - All digital baby!

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • CD's - I like to have the physical disc!

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • A mix of Mp3's and CD's

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters
May 15, 2002
MP3s are convenient only for listening to music in cars or on computers. At home, it's hard copies all the way.

1. Sound quality is vastly superior. MP3s sound flat and you can even notice the difference in the car. You get used to it, but certain music requires the full sound CDs, vinyl, etc. give.

2. The artwork. The entire release is, ideally, a work of art. If you don't have the physical booklet, inserts, etc. you're missing a huge portion of the art.

3. This argument of mp3 vs. CD occurs almost exclusively in rap/pop genres. In other words, if you see the demise of physical music releases, it will likely be in these two genres. Many other genres are so intricate and heavily layered that mp3 cannot do them justice, and like the booklets and inserts, a huge portion of the work of art will be gone.

That's my take. MP3s for convenience, hard copies for the experience. I would NEVER actually pay money for an mp3.

EDIT: One last thing, digi-packs suck. They're cheap and I've had some fall apart within weeks. I've gotten a few quality digi-packs in my day, but by and large I take jewel cases over digi-packs. Plus if your digipack is fucked up it's fucked up. If your jewel case cracks, you can just replace it.

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
^^true I forgot that. What is the average bitrate of an mp3 you download? Im going to vote for 128-192kbps. Here is some good info regarding the two formats. The quality is lost big time.

"Uncompressed audio as stored on an audio-CD has a bit rate of 1,411.2 kbit/s,[note 2] so the bitrates 128, 160 and 192 kbit/s represent compression ratios of approximately 11:1, 9:1 and 7:1 respectively."

Nov 14, 2008
CD'S ALL THE WAY,I'M A COLLECTOR,MOST ALBUMS IF NOT ALL ARE UNDERGROUND ALBUMS AND I RATHER HAVE THEM AS ACTUAL CDS,I THINK ITS BETTER THAT WAY,LIKE OLD SCHOLL SHIT THAT CAN'T BE BOUGHT NO MORE....MP3'S IS WEAK ONE HIT SINGLES THAT'S FOR MAIN STREAMERS ONLY,UNDERGROUND SHIT SHOULD ALWAYS STAY AS ACTUAL CD'S CAUSE MOST UNDERGROUND MUSIC WE CAN ALWAYS PLAY THE WHOLE CD.

Nov 14, 2008
CD'S ALL THE WAY,I'M A COLLECTOR,MOST ALBUMS IF NOT ALL ARE UNDERGROUND ALBUMS AND I RATHER HAVE THEM AS ACTUAL CDS,I THINK ITS BETTER THAT WAY,LIKE OLD SCHOLL SHIT THAT CAN'T BE BOUGHT NO MORE....MP3'S IS WEAK ONE HIT SINGLES THAT'S FOR MAIN STREAMERS ONLY,UNDERGROUND SHIT SHOULD ALWAYS STAY AS ACTUAL CD'S CAUSE MOST UNDERGROUND MUSIC WE CAN ALWAYS PLAY THE WHOLE CD.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Well I only buy CDs but normally just copy the CD to my computer and then use MP3s. I have too many CDs from back in the day that started skipping after too much play, so that I had to re-buy them.

NO MONEY FOR MP3s THOUGH! That's like paying for sending an e-mail...

names

Sicc OG
Aug 11, 2006
I always lose, scratch, or break my cds.

Im digital because I fail at taking care of shit.

If I lose my iPod I buy a new one and put all my music back on. I lose my cds.. well then im just fucked because you can't find alot of the old good shit anymore. Except on iTunes. LoL

May 25, 2005
Im digital because I fail at taking care of shit.
LOL...props cause he admits it...and thats what i was refering to in my last post...

which reminds me,i have a few friends who have burnt the same cd over and over, or dozens of mixes with mostly the same songs, cause they fuck them up and lose them hahaha...

May 4, 2005
all my shit is digital.. stereo in the house.. set up in the whip.

but very rarely do i buy a mp3 album.

i prefer the actualy case/packaging. cuz when u buy a mp3 album your just buyin space and not gettin anythin in the physical.. even tho when i buy physical copys.. 1st thing i do after slappin in the whip.. is rip em and put em on the hard drive.

kinda a contradiction.. but cds is better imo.

Feb 10, 2009
South Sacramento
what they need to do is develop a new CD that doesnt skip, u would think that with all the advanced technology that they would of already invented a skippless CD.

u could lose all of your digital MP3's if your computer crashes and external hard drives crash sometimes also.

Dec 26, 2004
I love music. To me its good to walk in the store N actually buy the CD, as to open it N look through the art work/photos N credits. I give a fuck to read peoples listed who made the CD happen.
Aslo I dont know nothing about Mp3 N ipods but thinkin of gettin one since I dont like to bring a whole case of CDs for a lil trip then get scratched. Looks easy to rip the CD on them ipods carrying them in your hand though. So I can see digital is a new way of the future.

Jan 6, 2003
I only bump CDs. I download a bit now and then if that is the only thing available just to have it, but to be honest I don't listen to them. mp3s in general are of poor quality which means that the download file has to be of some lossless format like FLAC or similar.
I ain't got a mp3 player. It's just an old fashioned thing by me that I haven't bought it yet. In some time I got it too because I see the pros with it.
I've checked what I've bought the last few years and 99% are CDs from the 90s/early 2000, which means that the physical copy is available, sometimes very cheap sometimes hella expensive.
Until now, if an artist only makes the album available as a download file, unless it's a very special thing I don't bother downloading. Go ahead make it available as a download file -anything else would be stupid. but also make a limited edition CD pressing to us collectors that still like to have that physical format.
And yes, I collect vinyl too. Been collecting rap since 85 so I grew up on music in physical formats.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
MP3s are convenient only for listening to music in cars or on computers. At home, it's hard copies all the way.

1. Sound quality is vastly superior. MP3s sound flat and you can even notice the difference in the car. You get used to it, but certain music requires the full sound CDs, vinyl, etc. give.

2. The artwork. The entire release is, ideally, a work of art. If you don't have the physical booklet, inserts, etc. you're missing a huge portion of the art.

3. This argument of mp3 vs. CD occurs almost exclusively in rap/pop genres. In other words, if you see the demise of physical music releases, it will likely be in these two genres. Many other genres are so intricate and heavily layered that mp3 cannot do them justice, and like the booklets and inserts, a huge portion of the work of art will be gone.

That's my take. MP3s for convenience, hard copies for the experience. I would NEVER actually pay money for an mp3.
Thanks for typing all that shit, as I agree with everything quoted above.
Even though I'm a CD collector, I DO USE mp3s for convenience purposes. When I walk or drive I do not need a clear, perfect quality of the cd. Plus its weight, fragility and all of that.

However at home it's shelves filled with cds all the way through haha.
Going 100% digital is a step backwards in my opinion. Just like you had all your books on kindle / iPad or some other retarded type of shit. Come on, in 5 years we'll talk (maybe not we, but you know) about iPads vs. normal books. I mean, it looks like a generation conflict, I just CANNOT IMAGINE paying for a non-physical product; with an exception of computer applications (but they are meant for computers exclusively).

As long as we live in physical world (without copying our minds into digital on some science fiction shit) I'd rather own regular DVDs (if I were a movie fan), books, magazines and CDs.

And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing improvement in CD quality - with an enhanced surface or something.

Mar 21, 2005
www.myspace.com
EDIT: One last thing, digi-packs suck. They're cheap and I've had some fall apart within weeks. I've gotten a few quality digi-packs in my day, but by and large I take jewel cases over digi-packs. Plus if your digipack is fucked up it's fucked up. If your jewel case cracks, you can just replace it.
Thanks for the feedback. Good point!

"Uncompressed audio as stored on an audio-CD has a bit rate of 1,411.2 kbit/s,[note 2] so the bitrates 128, 160 and 192 kbit/s represent compression ratios of approximately 11:1, 9:1 and 7:1 respectively."
Thanks for the comp. ratios. I like mp3s for convienence, but CD's for the quality.

CD'S ALL THE WAY,I'M A COLLECTOR,MOST ALBUMS IF NOT ALL ARE UNDERGROUND ALBUMS AND I RATHER HAVE THEM AS ACTUAL CDS,I THINK ITS BETTER THAT WAY,LIKE OLD SCHOLL SHIT THAT CAN'T BE BOUGHT NO MORE....
Ha Ha. Good point.

NO MONEY FOR MP3s THOUGH! That's like paying for sending an e-mail...
Ha Ha. I feel you.

I lose my cds.. well then im just fucked because you can't find alot of the old good shit anymore. Except on iTunes. LoL
I know, RIGHT! A lot of the good CD's are out of print :(

No matter what your opinion is this is a Damn Good Thread.

Excellent indeed.
Thanks for all the input everybody. It is very interesting to see everybody's opinions.

As long as we live in physical world (without copying our minds into digital on some science fiction shit)
Now that would be a cool idea. Just make sure that you have 2 BACKUP copies of the hardrive with your mind on it!

CNI

Sicc OG
Aug 8, 2007
First off, I want to concur with Venom about this being a solid thread. Very rarely seen here.....hahaa

The one aspect very few hear about is the fact that physical cd`s have actually entered into the digital world. We`ve all heard the majors crying like little bitches that they`re losing money from downloads and stores closing because cd`s "just aren`t selling". BULLSHIT.

Physical cd`s continue to sell just as before. The only difference now, physical cd`s are purchased more online. I was reading a report about this late last year that spoke about "retail" cd`s declining by 31%, but at the same time physical sales online had risen by 36%.

Don`t let the mainstream media corrupt your thinking. The physical hustle continues. It`s just moving online by more percentage points every qtr.

For any artist who complains that their shit isn`t selling,........ it`s time to look in the mirror and make better shit. PERIOD.