Poll: Are CD's really dying? What do you think?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

What format do you listen to music in?

• Mp3 - All digital baby!

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • CD's - I like to have the physical disc!

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • A mix of Mp3's and CD's

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
I'm from Europe so you know when reading this. I used to get Cd's back in they day all the time, we had a store that had all the artist even had rare releases (this is before the internet like 95-98). Now when you walk in the store you got 50, eminem, snoop dogg & well you know. But hey times change and so does the distributed media.

Now I get all my music Digital like iTunes ect. It's nice to be able to bring all your collection on the laptop, put 8gb music on the usb stick to have in the car, the iPhone or other digital device. I travel a lot so mp3 is a big deal for me.

If I could walk in the store and find artist like Mitchy Slick or G-Macc ect I WOULD buy more Cd's. There are places to get Cd's online but then you have to place the order, pay shipping this and that. That's the nice thing with Digital purchase you get it instant and you don't have to hassle gettin it ready for your device later on. BUT as a graphic artist I miss having the printed art work tho.

As a artist you need to have a Cd out but at the same time you can not ignore the Digital market, that's just being dumb. Like in your case Mr.Dizz, I know what you have done before musiclly so if I spot your Cd on cdbaby I would not get it because the hassle + shipping fee + shipping time. But if spoted on iTunes I would get it no doubt.

More artist need to make their music available on the digital market, because you are missing out otherwise.

That's just my view of it.

Dec 20, 2002
CD sells have been slowing down for years....never will it completely stop...the people who choose to really support the artist are still gonna do so...i also think it has to do with music falling off,not as many good albums being released,alot of watered down content...etc...

Apr 22, 2002
www.siccness.net
I would take a lot of the answers here with a grain of salt..

A lot of people here are super into music and collect it and want a hard copy with artwork and all. I think if you look at the closing of almost every major music retailer across the country you'll find your answer..

CDs as a whole don't offer the advantages an MP3 does and it's only a matter of time before they disappear entirely. My guess is right now we're at the tail end of the transition period to 100% digital..

Jan 6, 2003
I would take a lot of the answers here with a grain of salt..

A lot of people here are super into music and collect it and want a hard copy with artwork and all. I think if you look at the closing of almost every major music retailer across the country you'll find your answer..

CDs as a whole don't offer the advantages an MP3 does and it's only a matter of time before they disappear entirely. My guess is right now we're at the tail end of the transition period to 100% digital..
I feel you but I don't agree 100%. The major difference between files vs CDs and CDs vs every other listening material is the fact that previous transitions have been between one physical format to another physical format. Now we're talking about going from one physical format to a non-physical format and I think that is why the CD will survive in one way or another. Yes, record stores are closing down, but it might resurface in other ways, maybe as part of inventories on shopping malls, gas stations etc. As what others have pointed out in this thread, there are people that pays for CDs that would go on downloading illegally instead of paying for it legally if downloading is the only alternative, so in that way the artist will lose any way by going all digital with his music. Only time will tell how it goes, but I think it might not be a 100% smart move to save some money by not pressing up CDs. It might backflash due to illegal downloading. And I might as well be wrong about this....