** Official Prometheus Thread ** Spoilers inside.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 16, 2004
There's a reason it was a flamethrower bruh. Look at the title of the movie, all the hidden undertones and connect the dots.
Fuck you ol chap, I find that quite insulting really. I get why flame would be weapon of choice, but at least make it livelier with better effects for crying out loud. Use of 3D was very weak for a sci fi flick. I'm a gun guy and expected to see some cool futuristic weapons. The pistol and shotties were practically water guns, really pitiful.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Just got back from watching it and while it was different than I expect ( some of it ) I still thought it was a good movie. I do agree the movie leaves you with more questions than answers.

Alot of us are going into this movie expecting it to be a true prequel to Alien and its not, but we have lead ourselves to believe that is what it is and it makes it harder for most people to appreciate this movie for it is.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Good stuff. I began to like the movie waaaay more after I started thinking about everything.
Thats how I felt too, I had alot of questions but no answers, that article you posted and the interview I posted ( and some other shit I read around the web ) did put some of the pieces together. Alot was left out on purpose so all we can do is speculate at this point until they make Prometheus 2 and fill in all those blanks.

A common thing I see around the web is people not liking the movie because there was no Alien in it ( the end doesn't really count ). I think alot of people went in expecting to see it have a bigger role in the movie and were let down when they found out that was not the case.

Apr 25, 2002
My opinion after seeing it once:

I don’t think the glyphs were an invitation. I think they were a “don’t fuck up or you’ll get this”. I don’t think there is any evidence to show us that the aliens were benevolent creators.

I think humans did something that pissed the aliens off and they were going to kills us, but the “germ” they created backfired on them. I don’t think humanity sent it back somehow. I think it got out on them in some kind of accident.

Humans find out about the weapon/germ and that’s why in all the other alien movies the corporation/military are trying to get the weapon. To use it as a tool. It was never an alien it was a weapon. Humans are just trying to grapple with it and make it a manageable weapon. If nothing else as a deterrent. Like “oh shit, they were going to use it on us. We better get one too so we can use it back if they ever try it again.” Alien arms race.

I think the alien jesus thing is bullshit. The author doesn’t even know the difference between a cross and a crucifix. So I don’t attribute much to his theory there.

I also disagree with the idea that Shaw tried to save the “baby”. She did a decontaminate which should have destroyed the little fucker. It didn’t. She didn’t want it out to save it. She wanted it out to kill it. That’s why she was so disappointed when she got in the survivor capsule and it was alive in there.

I don’t think whatever the alien drank in the beginning is the same as the stuff in the urns. Urns = weapon. Stuff dude drank = something else.

[/spoilers]

I was disappointed by the editing of this film. There were a few points where I thought, I wonder what they just cut there. The movie, though long, seemed like it should have been longer.

I was disappointed that the movie seemed to be more fantastical sci-fi than science fiction. I felt the Alien and Aliens movies were more scientific feeling. I was also disappointed that they movie trended toward gore/squeamish scares than the classic Hitchcock/slasher style scares in Alien.

I was disappointed by the droid being “bad” from the jump, but I guess we all knew something would be “wrong” with the droid if we’d seen the previous Alien films so might as well just cut to the chase.

I’m glad they didn’t force a bunch of shitty 3D gimmicks on us. Much better without it. Wish I could have seen it in straight up Imax instead of Imax 3D.

The set design and costumes were the high point of the film for me. I liked the more 2001 rather than Alien vibe. Seems like an appropriate progression.

I had high expectations for the movie and was let down more by not getting what I had hoped for than any fault in the movie.

3 out of 5

Would actually like to see it again to pick up some things I may have missed the first time. But I don’t feel like I was left with any unanswerable questions after seeing the movie. If you think about them they all seem to be there.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
B @Baller B

Agree with what u wrote too, but I'm not convinced the black goo is a germ or weapon, simply because the engineer at the beginning of the film drinks it to sacrafice himself to create life. The black goo reacts to each individual differently so its true purpose is unknown.

Also we don't know what the engineers were running from that killed them, everyone assumes its the black goo the truth is we really don't know we just know they died 2000 years ago.

Apr 25, 2002
B @Baller B

Agree with what u wrote too, but I'm not convinced the black goo is a germ or weapon, simply because the engineer at the beginning of the film drinks it to sacrafice himself to create life. The black goo reacts to each individual differently so its true purpose is unknown.

Also we don't know what the engineers were running from that killed them, everyone assumes its the black goo the truth is we really don't know we just know they died 2000 years ago.

If we are to accept that then why did the engineer react so negatively to humans being there? And why did he set his target as earth? If it is not a germ/weapon then wouldn’t that mean the engineers were some kind of benevolent creators? And if they were then the glyphs would have been an invitation. But then if they were an invitation and they were nice friendly aliens - why try to kill the creation once it does what it has been told to do?

If the black goo is the same black stuff that the engineer drank at the start then maybe it isn’t a germ or a weapon, but maybe it is. Maybe he wasn’t trying to create man, but rather just performing some kind of alien seppuku. And man was an accident.

Jan 25, 2009
what i could see from movie and even charcaters in movie suspect that is a weapon but working kinda on molecular level so it will change/mutate your DNA and like CB said humans might be just an accident and there is a reason to kill them

Feb 12, 2004
Uh humans we're not an accident. The glyphs showed them interacting with us thousands of years ago and if we were an accident why wait so long to kill us? Obviously the human race became something the engineers did not want us to become.

As for the goo that shit is unexplainable just because of the different effects it had.

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
If we are to accept that then why did the engineer react so negatively to humans being there? And why did he set his target as earth? If it is not a germ/weapon then wouldn’t that mean the engineers were some kind of benevolent creators? And if they were then the glyphs would have been an invitation. But then if they were an invitation and they were nice friendly aliens - why try to kill the creation once it does what it has been told to do?
Its hard to say why they hate humans but for whatever unknown reason they do ( this is a huge question that was left unanswered on purpose ) Once we find out what the black goo really is used for will be the only way to tell if there intentions were to destroy mankind or something else ( I do see your point of view and its very logical to assume based on what happened they wanted us all dead ). But also keep in mind the main scientist is saying that the alien ship cannot reach earth because they want to kill mankind but that is her assumption based on what has happened she did not know the true intention of the last engineer.

As for the glyphs I agree with what Brown Guerrero wrote in his last post.

If the black goo is the same black stuff that the engineer drank at the start then maybe it isn’t a germ or a weapon, but maybe it is. Maybe he wasn’t trying to create man, but rather just performing some kind of alien seppuku. And man was an accident.
I am assuming that the black goo is the same the entire movie but maybe its not, also he drank it out of something maybe that changed the nature of it ( again all assumptions ). It still falls back ( for me anyway ) to the fact that we dont know what the true purpose of the black goo is.

I do believe that they made us on purpose we were not an accident, we share the same DNA as the engineers but we are no where near as advanced as they are. You could also see the religious undertone here as well if you want to go that route ( god created man in his image, the engineers created us in there image etc.. ).

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
Some people I work with who saw it did not notice that the Alien at the end of the movie came out of the engineer with a egg sac attached as well. Its going around the web that it was the birth if a Alien queen which would also explain for different shaped head. Also we have never seen a queen born just the regular Aliens that come from the chest bursters.

I have read alot of people saying that is the birth of the first Alien but we know that is not true as there is a mural with a Alien on it in the black goo room. I know it was widely speculated ( not sure if this was in the comics or not ) that the engineers made the Aliens as a weapon and they turned on them.

Biggest gif ever lol..

Nov 7, 2006
I went into this movie with no expectations and knowing there was no way it could even be in the same league as alien and aliens. i think with that mind set established i was able to enjoy the movie for what it was. i never was overthinking shit and just let shit unfold in front me and found my self enjoying the movie very much. I got what i wanted out of this movie, cool action/sci-fi scenes and a cool looking world that looked even cooler in 3-D.