Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
To be honest Staley is hella overrated. He's good, but not great. I don't think i've seen Iupati have a bad game yet. Dude straight manhandles everyone. As a unit the line is the best in the league tho and that's the most important thing.

Good point about the Aldon Smith injury.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
I don't think Staley is overrated at all. He's never had huge hype behind him to be considered overrated. I used to think he should be RT and Davis LT, but his play the last 2 years especially last season has been awesome. In the playoffs, he beasted even after getting a stinger on his right arm. I think it was against Green Bay. His arm was hanging and didn't come off the field. Next play he man handled Clay Matthews

Props: SFC I-Side

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
I really like how Baalke and Harbaugh are doing getting these key players for the low, the unflashy solid guys who strengthen the team

Feb 12, 2004
Not saying he's not good. What I am saying is he is slightly(not hella my fault) overrated. A lot of people consider him an elite left tackle and the dude has been voted 2x all pro, yet he's had games where hes been dominated by Jared Allen, Clay Mathews, Kyle Vanden Bosch, etc very recently.

Just make it clear I am not saying he sucks. It's just when I hear words like elite, all pro, etc I think of THE BEST. Staley is a tough SOB and played great when it counted.

Last edited:
Props: SFC I-Side

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
For the first time since 1979, no NFL team is selling more merchandise than the San Francisco 49ers, according to numbers provided by NFL PR's Joanna Hunter.

The 49ers, who finished second in sales in 1994 and 1995, were the lone west coast team in the top six. The Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants, Washington Redskins, Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots followed San Francisco.

The 49ers rocketed to the top on the power of offensive and defensive leaders Colin Kaepernick and Patrick Willis, who finished fourth and 10th, respectively, on the list of top-selling NFL player jerseys.

[CSN SHOP: Get your 49ers gear!]

Kaepernick took over as the 49ers starting quarterback and went 7-3, leading the 49ers to Super Bowl XLVIII. His success was recognized by NFL fans all over, as he trails only Robert Griffin III (who set a single-season jersey sales record), Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis in individual jersey sales.

Willis, a Pro Bowler in each of his first six NFL seasons with the 49ers, was the second ranked defensive player on the list behind Lewis.

Feb 12, 2004
damn thats fucking dope. niner empire is strong!!

kaep has become a huge fucking star. his popularity has expanded beyond the 49er faithful. ive seen a lot of fans of other teams also being huge fans of kaep.

"the men wanna be him and the hoes wanna fuck him!"

Last edited:

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
To be honest Staley is hella overrated.
You clearly know nothing that you speak of.

Not just overrated but hella? You watch the media talk more then you watch the actual games.

He's a 2 time Pro Bowl tackle. Is he the best left tackle in the game? No, but he is 1 of the 6 best left tackles in the game the last two years running.

Funny when people speak out they ass instead of their brain.

Feb 12, 2004
First of all I admitted I reached on the hella. And it's funny because I brought this up to my big homie John Taylor awhile back and he partially agreed but some random guy on a forum knows more lol fuck no.

I know more about football than you will ever know. My knowledge goes way deeper than just what you see on tv homie. I'm talking fundamentals and X's and O's. Fuck out of here.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2006
49ers' best drafts of past 10 years

1. 2007 -- The good:
This draft ranks as one of the best in franchise history with the selections of three Pro Bowl players and two other starters on their Super Bowl team of last season. McCloughan went with linebacker Patrick Willis with the No. 11 overall selection. Believe it or not, it was not an obvious pick. McCloughan was met some resistance inside the organization. He was adamant Willis was the right call, and he hit a home run. Willis is on a Hall-of-Fame pace with six Pro Bowls in six NFL seasons. The 49ers acquired an additional first-round draft pick in a trade with the New England Patriots, which led to the selection of left tackle Joe Staley at No. 28. Staley was selected to his second straight Pro Bowl. Dashon Goldson, who made two Pro Bowls before leaving to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a free agent this offseason, was chosen in the fourth round. Defensive lineman Ray McDonald was a strong pickup in the third round. The 49ers took a gamble on cornerback Tarell Brown, who was considered a character risk, in the fifth round. Brown has been a model citizen and teammate, and he has performed well in two seasons as a starter.

The bad: Receiver Jason Hill did not pan out as a third-round pick, and fourth-round selections Jay Moore and Joe Cohen sustained injuries and neither defensive lineman made it into a regular-season game with the 49ers.

2. 2011 -- The good:
Baalke used the 49ers' first two selections to get sensational talents on both sides of the ball. Outside linebacker Aldon Smith, chosen as a bit of a surprise at No. 7 overall, has recorded more sacks (33.5) in his first two seasons than any player in NFL history. He already owns the 49ers' single-season record with 19.5 sacks. The 49ers engineered a trade in the second round to move up to select Colin Kaepernick, who was outstanding in 10 starts last season and figures to be the team's franchise quarterback. Third-round pick Chris Culliver was the team's third cornerback in both of his first two seasons. Running back Kendall Hunter performed well as Frank Gore's backup until a partially torn Achilles ended his second season. The 49ers drafted Central Florida defensive end Bruce Miller and converted him to fullback, where he developed quickly into a solid contributor as a blocker and on special teams. Guard Daniel Kilgore was the team's top backup lineman last season.

The bad: Wide receiver Ronald Johnson, a sixth-round draft pick, was cut in training camp and team did not bring him back to the practice squad. Colin Jones, a sixth-rounder who was solid on special teams, was traded after one season. Seventh-rounders Mike Person and Curtis Holcomb were released without ever playing in a game.

3. 2010 -- The good:
The early portion of this draft had Singletary's thumbprint all over it. He wanted physical offensive linemen, so the 49ers invested both picks within the first 17 selections on powerful blockers. The 49ers moved up two spots to select right tackle Anthony Davis at No. 11. Davis had two up-and-down seasons before playing very well in his third year. The 49ers rewarded him last week with a lucrative contract extension through 2019. Pro Bowl guard Mike Iupati, selected at No. 17, has been a key in the 49ers' power-running game. The 49ers selected inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman, a Patrick Willis clone, in the third round. He was honored as an All-Pro the past two seasons and was one of the steals of the draft. Running back Anthony Dixon and receiver Kyle Williams were chosen in the sixth round.

The bad:
Singletary insisted on safety Taylor Mays in the second round. A year later, the 49ers traded Mays away to the Cincinnati Bengals for a seventh-round draft pick. The 49ers gave up on tight end Nate Byham and cornerback Phillip Adams after they sustained injuries.

4. 2006 -- The good: The Green Bay Packers selected linebacker A.J. Hawk at No. 5, and the 49ers grabbed tight end Vernon Davis with the next pick. It has worked out considerably better for the 49ers. Davis made a Pro Bowl after catching 13 touchdown passes in 2009. His pass-catching statistics have decreased, but he remains a threat in the passing game and is a valued member of the offense due to his blocking. Davis' backup the past seven seasons, Delanie Walker, was a very good selection in the sixth round. The ultra-versatile Walker will get a chance to start this season after signing a big-money deal with the Tennessee Titans. Outside linebacker Parys Haralson was also a solid choice in the fifth round. Michael Robinson, currently with the Seattle Seahawks, was a key special-teams player that Singletary cut after four seasons.

The bad: Outside linebacker Manny Lawson was chosen with the No. 22 overall selection. He was a good all-around player but he never provided the kind of much-needed pass rush the team envisioned he would supply. Third-round pick Brandon Williams, a wide receiver, brought nothing to the table.

5. 2005 -- The good:
The 49ers had the No. 1 overall pick. Nolan and McCloughan hoped to get the player who would be their bridge to greatness. And, in fact, they did get that player with the third-round selection of running back Frank Gore. As it turned out, top overall pick Alex Smith -- while never playing like a No. 1 overall pick -- ended up being a very good player in his final two seasons with the club. Center David Baas, though over-drafted at the top of the second round, and third-round pick Adam Snyder were OK. Tight end Billy Bajema has done well for himself as a seventh-round pick. Bajema played four seasons with the 49ers, and has played the past four with the St. Louis Rams.

The bad: Defensive tackle Ronald Fields, started nine games in his four seasons with the 49ers, before signing with the Denver Broncos in 2009. That pick was not so bad, but the 49ers did not get much of anything from fifth-round pick Rasheed Marshall, sixth-rounder Derrick Johnson or seventh-rounders Daven Holly, Marcus Maxwell or Patrick Estes. Considering the 49ers' roster was so weak, there was ample opportunity for late draft picks to make an impact.

49ers' best drafts of past 10 years | CSN Bay Area

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Joe's son scheduled to work out for 49ers

Once again, there will be a Montana at quarterback on the 49ers' practice field.

Nate Montana, son of Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana, is scheduled to be among the draft-eligible players working out for 49ers coaches and scouts on Wednesday as part of the team's local pro day, a source told CSNBayArea.com.

[RELATED: 2013 NFL Draft central]

Montana is eligible to attend the local workout because he attended Concord's De La Salle High, where he was the third-string quarterback as a senior.

He was a backup at three different schools in his first three years of college eligibility: Pasadena City College, Notre Dame and the University of Montana before enrolling at West Virginia Wesleyan, an NCAA Division II school.

Montana finished his college career at West Virginia Wesleyan, where he played in nine games. He attempted 50 or more passes in seven of his appearances. Montana completed 51.6 percent of his passes, averaged 275.6 yards passing per game, but just 5.6 yards per attempt, with 19 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Montana (6 foot 4, 215 pounds) was not among the 16 quarterbacks invited to the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis two months ago. He is not expected to be drafted.

Montana has been working out in Southern California under the direction of quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
CB Brock signs one-year tender with 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers announced Monday that cornerback Tramaine Brock has signed the one-year contract he had previously been tendered.

rock (5-foot-10, 197 pounds) was signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2010, and went on to earn a spot on the team’s opening day roster. In 2011, Brock set a career high with two interceptions in 11 games played. He continued to contribute in 2012, logging time in all 16 regular season games, and tying the team lead with 15 tackles on special teams.