Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
I didnt say he was ronnie lott or deion sanders. I said he was a mature, 3 yr player in the SEC with a ton of up side and athleticism. I hella remember yeldon running over him on that 1 play.....Actually I dont and neither does ANYONE else here... over the last 3 years if the ONLY bad thing is he got trucked tackling a guy... I'll take it.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Did you follow the 49ers season?

“I definitely watched them because they have an incredible defense, similar to LSU. That’s something I liked to see. I’m very fortunate to be playing with them.”

Dec 4, 2011
i'm not saying he sucks. the only thing i remember of this guy is yeldon running him over to beat LSU. i hope hes good for us but i don't know. i hope we draft Tyrann Mathieu. he was the best one on that team

Dec 12, 2006
He wasnt the only one to get run over by Yeldon lol, I wish we werent so deep at RB I would love to get Lacy, dudes a sav

I like this pic, maybe Dahl and Donte start the season, this kid is a hell of an athlete, he studys the vets for half the season and then takes over or maybe it takes a year, I think its a good investment because Dahl and Donte both may not be long term answers

Donte gave up the most TDs out of any safety in the NFL last year, maybe that had something to do with how he and Goldson play but still....

Wish I could watch todays rounds on TV, really interested to see where we go, hopefully D line

The raiders pic was hella funny, typical raider shit lol

Dec 12, 2006
The 49ers took no chances tonight when it came to ensuring they got the safety they coveted.

San Francisco used its considerable draft capital and traded with the Cowboys to move up 13 spots to select LSU’s Eric Reid with the No. 18 pick in the NFL draft. Reid will be expected to fill the void in the secondary created when All-Pro safety Dashon Goldson signed with Tampa Bay last month.

The 49ers surrendered a third-round pick (No. 74) to move up. They now have 11 remaining draft picks, including the second pick in the second round (No. 34).

A first-team All-American last year, Reid (6-1, 213) was the second safety drafted behind Texas’ Kenny Vaccaro, who went No. 15 overall to the Saints. Reid, however, might be the most physically gifted prospect in a deep safety class.

At the NFL combine, Reid tied for the best vertical jump (40 ½ inches) and broad jump (11-2) among safeties. His 40-yard dash (4.53) ranked fifth and was faster than the time posted Vaccaro (4.63).

In a recent phone interview, NFL Network analyst and former NFL general manager Charley Casserly noted Reid needed to clean up his sometimes-shoddy tackling technique. But Casserly, who ranked Reid behind Vaccaro, said that can be polished in the NFL.

“I really like Reid’s intelligence, his instincts,” Casserly said. “His athletic ability – the way he can move and change directions, all those things that you either have or you don’t. That’s just his natural ability. So if he has all those things you’ve got to ask yourself, why can’t he get better? And I think he will.”

The 49ers obviously agree.

On 49ers.com, Jim Harbaugh said he recruited out of Dutchtown (La.) High when he was the head coach at Stanford. He termed Reid the team’s “unanimous” pick.

“It really stands out,” Harbaugh said. “He believes that he’s a winner all the way and champion kind of guy and football player. I can’t wait to have him here in our home in Santa Clara. I’m sure he’s excited to have the process start and know the team that wanted him the most.”

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com » 49ers dip into draft stash to grab LSU’s Eric Reid

Oct 23, 2009
This was actually what I was thinking after the Reid draft, I would like to see a DE being drafted but the way Reid hits he can always be moved down to SS after Whitner leaves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps Eric Reid wasn't the safety that everyone thought the San Francisco 49ers would draft, but given that they traded up for him, he was definitely their man and, of course, there's a chance that they caught wind of another team after him as well.

The name we all saw a good deal: Florida International safety Jonathan Cyprien. He's a guy who flew up draft boards this offseason due to his high ceiling and generally-sound play, and most of us here fell in love with him.

So there was, of course, a little bit of outcry when Reid was the pick. "Why didn't they get Cyprien?" someone might have asked. I have a ... somewhat different answer to that question than one might expect: they still can.

Cyprien is still on the board and the 49ers, through virtue of clearance prices on the trades yesterday (except when Minnesota dealt, for some reason, and thanks Tre Faaborg for the "clearance" term), still have ammunition in the second round. They actually pick at No. 34, which is the second pick in that round.

Many people are pointing toward getting a defensive lineman and I totally understand that. Justin Smith won't be around much longer -- but there will be many more chances to get another defensive lineman. Safeties, on the other hand, are notoriously hard to pick out in drafts. In other words, the drafts are usually pretty weak on that front, and this is the best class we've seen in a long, long time at the position.

If there ever was a draft to load up on safety talent, it's this one. I'm dead serious. Dashon Goldson departed in free agency and yeah, the 49ers have replaced him to an extent with Reid. But what about Donte Whitner? He had a fantastic season in 2011, but slowed down a bit last year and was a real liability down the stretch. He might be good for another season, but he needs replacing.

I believe there are strong defensive linemen that the 49ers can draft near the end of the second round. There are some good ones at the beginning too, for sure. But personally, I believe that the top safeties available right now are still better than the top defensive linemen.

Let me put it this way: the 49ers absolutely should get another safety in rounds two or three. That is really ... hard to debate against, in my opinion. I just take it a step further and I think snaring Cyprien would be a huge get and would make for an excellent draft, regardless of what happens after that point. Reid and Cyprien would be quite the duo, especially if one of them (Cyprien) sits for a little while behind Whitner.

I'm interested to hear some counter-arguments on this. Aside from what was literally the top safety in each class, I've found the last several drafts completely and utterly underwhelming at the position. It's always the top guy or bust. This is the perfect opportunity to fill the need and -- wouldn't you know it -- it's not a reach, either.

2013 NFL Draft: Should 49ers consider another safety on day two? - Niners Nation

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
All-Pro Linebacker Patrick Willis agreed to a contract restructure that creates more than $1.2 million of salary-cap room, a source told CSNBayArea.com on Friday.

Willis agreed to have $1.687 million of his scheduled 2013 base salary of $2.4 million converted to a signing bonus that can be prorated over the final four years of Willis' contract. His new 2013 base salary of $715,000 also becomes fully guaranteed.

Now, the 49ers have $2.15 million in salary cap space, according to a source. That figure is close to the amount the 49ers will need to sign their draft class.