Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 8, 2006
excited bout this.. my folks from high school gettin his shot.. Balboa High class of '06 in this thanggg

SANTA CLARA – The 49ers signed former Sacramento State quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson on Thursday, and they promise to put the rookie to work today.

That's because Bethel- Thompson and fellow rookie Colin Kaepernick are the only quarterbacks on the roster. Not only that, they likely will be the only 49ers quarterbacks who can participate in training camp practices for the next six days.

While veteran Alex Smith is expected to sign a one-year, $5 million deal at 3 p.m. today, he, like every other veteran free-agent signee, is not allowed to participate in any practices – neither those in full pads nor walkthroughs – until the new league year begins Thursday.

Furthermore, the team released quarterback David Carr on Thursday. Unless it's through a trade, any veteran quarterback the 49ers bring in to replace Carr will be in the same situation as Smith: He can sit in on team meetings and classroom sessions, but he can't participate in practice until next week.

Kaepernick became the heir to the starting job when the 49ers drafted him in the second round in April. During the lockout, Kaepernick learned Jim Harbaugh's offense during the workouts and practices Smith ran at San Jose State.
Now Harbaugh will be on hand, and Kaepernick will get a six-day head start on Smith as far as operating the offense. Does that even the playing field with the veteran?

"Well, I don't know about leveling the playing field," Kaepernick said. "Alex has about six years on me. He definitely has a greater knowledge of defenses and the schemes and stuff. But at the same time, I think getting those extra reps will help me develop a lot."

Kaepernick on Thursday heaped praise on Smith for mentoring him during the three months after the draft. He said his coaches have been impressed by what he learned over that span.

But the rookie also left no doubt that he was gunning for Smith's job.

"When you come into a situation, you want to be the starting quarterback," Kaepernick said. "I don't feel I got drafted here to be a spectator."

Kaepernick and the team's other nine draft picks signed contracts before training camp officially started at 8 a.m. Thursday. Under the new labor agreement, all rookie deals are four years, although teams have the option of extending first-round picks, such as linebacker Aldon Smith, an extra year.

Bethel-Thompson has a background with Harbaugh, who recruited him out of Balboa High School in San Francisco when Harbaugh was the coach at the University of San Diego.
Bethel-Thompson, who's 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, opted for UCLA. He spent twoyears there before transferring to Sac State. Two of his three seasons with the Hornets were cut short by injuries. He played quarterback in six games in 2009, completing 64 of 110 pass attempts for 746 yards with four touchdowns and five interceptions.

Earlier this year, he signed with the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena Football League and has played behind starter Mark Grieb.
Kaepernick and Bethel- Thompson were mentored by Bay Area quarterbacks coach Roger Theder, who said Bethel-Thompson has the potential to be more than just a so-called "camp arm."

"He reminds me a little of Jim Plunkett," Theder said. "He's got the same sort of tools, maybe a little quicker arm. I think he'll be a good addition for the 49ers. He's smart, and he's tough, and those are the things you want in a quarterback."

Theder also said Bethel- Thompson has a big right arm – too big, in his opinion, for the Arena league.

"It's not quite as strong as Colin's, but he can throw it," Theder said.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/29/3802499/49ers-sign-former-sac-state-qb.html#ixzz1TVnmZqGd

Dec 12, 2006
Props to your boy, it was sick when he had J Hill and D Strickland on the 9ers, SH and Riordan,

anyway tho

weve lost 5 defensive starters, no center, gore is holding out, crabtree is out for a month and some change

This could be a really really ugly season

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
The 49ers are in the mix for Antonio Cromartie, according to the NFL Network.
Matt Maiocco of Comcast SportsNet Bay Area has reported the same. The Niners have pulled out of the Nnamdi Asomugha chase, but still have a hole at cornerback. They've been linked to Cromartie, Chris Carr, and could also bring back Nate Clements at a cheaper rate.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
More Bad News.....

Seventh-round CB Curtis Holcomb ruptured his Achilles tendon in the first practice of training camp Thursday.
It's a tough break for a developmental prospect with an iffy shot at a long-term NFL career. Holcomb will undergo surgery and miss the entire 2011 season.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
More Bad News.....

Seventh-round CB Curtis Holcomb ruptured his Achilles tendon in the first practice of training camp Thursday.
It's a tough break for a developmental prospect with an iffy shot at a long-term NFL career. Holcomb will undergo surgery and miss the entire 2011 season.