Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Falcons Prepare for Unknown Against 49ers
http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/29/10/...ainst-49er/landing&blockID=320837&feedID=5936

The Atlanta Falcons do not expect the 49ers to enact a dramatic change in philosophy with new offensive coordinator Mike Johnson calling the shots after coach Mike Singletary fired Jimmy Raye on Monday.

"There will be some unknowns in terms of play-calling," Falcons coach Mike Smith said Wednesday morning.

"I don't think they can change 180 degrees. But I think in the situational down and distances -- the third downs, the red zone -- that's probably where we're going to have the most difficulty in terms of preparation because we don't have the history of the tendencies of the play-caller."

Smith said he has done his "due diligence" in trying to figure out how Johnson might call plays. One resource is receiver Brian Finneran, an 11-year NFL veteran, who was around for Johnson's four seasons (2002-'05) on the Falcons' coaching staff.

Johnson was a receivers coach for one season under Dan Reeves before spending the next three years as quarterbacks coach for Reeves and Jim Mora.

"Mike is a competitor," Finneran said. "He played quarterback in this league for a minute and had a cup of coffee (1990 training camp with the Arizona Cardinals). He's just a competitor.

"When he was here with us, running the West Coast offense with Coach Mora, he installed our third down and red zone for us and did a great job with it."

In 2005, the Falcons ranked second in the NFL with a third-down conversion rate of 43 percent. Through three games, the 49ers' conversion rate of 24.4 percent (10 of 41) ranks 31st in the league.

"Obviously, playing quarterback, he probably has that attack-you-throwing-the-ball mindset," Finneran said. "But with that running back (Frank Gore) you have over there and an offensive line that's so talented, he'll have a lot of options running the ball and play-action and stuff like that.

"So it'll be interesting to see what he comes up, whether they change their M.O. or stay with what works."

Johnson took over play-calling duties in the final two games of the 2003 season after Wade Phillips took over as interim head coach after Reeves' firing late in the season. The Falcons won those final two games, and Finneran caught a touchdown pass.

"I've been trying to remember after I read an article in the paper that he took over," Finneran said. "But it's hard for me to remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

"The fact that he played the position of quarterback, and usually when guys did that they're pretty savvy offensive minds and like to take advantage of matchups. They have a talented tight end, Vernon (Davis), and (Michael) Crabtree at receiver and some different guys. He'll find a way to match those guys up the way he wants them and try to make some plays against us. I think matchups will be key for him."

Feb 12, 2009
Where are those niners at... 0-5 guaranteed 0-6 on the 17th!
Who you guys gonna take with that first pick in the draft???

League Leaders - Offense

Total Offense (YPG) Complete List

1. San Diego Chargers 461.3
2. Denver Broncos 417.0
3. Indianapolis Colts 412.7
4. Houston Texans 407.0
5. Dallas Cowboys 391.7

Passing (YPG) Complete List

1. Denver Broncos 350.0
2. San Diego Chargers 345.0
3. Indianapolis Colts 331.3
4. Dallas Cowboys 311.7
5. Chicago Bears 277.0

Rushing (YPG) Complete List

1. Kansas City Chiefs 160.7
2. Atlanta Falcons 160.3
3. Pittsburgh Steelers 150.0
4. Oakland Raiders 147.3
5. Houston Texans 146.3

League Leaders - Defense

Total Defense (YPG) Complete List

1. Baltimore Ravens 244.3
2. Green Bay Packers 260.7
3. Oakland Raiders 260.7
4. San Diego Chargers 272.7
5. Minnesota Vikings 276.3

Passing (YPG) Complete List

1. Baltimore Ravens 116.7
2. Oakland Raiders 127.7
3. Green Bay Packers 144.0
4. New York Giants 169.3
5. Tennessee Titans 178.3

Rushing (YPG) Complete List

1. Chicago Bears 39.7
2. Houston Texans 54.3
3. Pittsburgh Steelers 59.7
4. New York Jets 61.7
5. Seattle Seahawks

Mar 12, 2010
pfffft this team looks poised for greatness yeah right anyone else see there are no changes being made at positions somebody please teel these guys michael can cover anything that moves lewis and chilo cant block anything rachal need to be on the sideline not the field

Feb 12, 2009
Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com

Jimmy Raye, whom 49ers coach Mike Singletary fired as offensive coordinator Monday, told Comcast SportsNet that he was carrying out the head coach's vision for the offense.

When Raye interviewed with Singletary for the 49ers' vacant offensive-coordinator position in January 2009, Raye said he made no demands of what he needed on offense. Raye said he agreed to go to work for the 49ers with the full understanding of Singletary's offensive philosophy.

"I was carrying out the head coach's wishes," Raye said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "I was doing what I was brought here to do under his philosophy he wanted installed. I tried as best I could to carry that out with the quarterbacking and the personnel that we had. I didn't come in and say, 'This is my offense, and I'm running this, and if you don't like it, you can get somebody else.' I was doing what was given me to do."

Singletary fired Raye early Monday morning, less than a day after saying Raye would be the offensive coordinator for the remainder of the season. Singletary explained what happened during his press conference on Monday at the team's headquarters in Santa Clara.

"After I got back here I went home, and I said, 'You know what, I'm just going to go back and look at the film," Singletary said. "So, I came back here and basically spent the night looking at film. And just kind of looked at the overall view of where we are, and looking at where we need to go, and felt that I needed to make the change."

The 49ers had gotten off to a 0-3 start with an offense that ranks 20th in the NFL in total offense. But the 49ers are 31st in scoring (12.7 points per game) and third-down efficiency (24 percent). In Raye's 19 games as offensive coordinator, the 49ers kicked six field goals but never scored a touchdown on the opening drive.

Here is the full transcript of my interview with Raye:

Question: Did it surprise you when coach Mike Singletary told you he was letting you go?
Raye: "I think that's a bit of an understatement. Yes, it did."

Q: Did you think the offense was on track to where you thought it would be?
Raye: "I thought we were a work in progress. Coming off of last year, we were competitive. I thought there was improvement in the play of the offense. I thought with the new center (David Baas), a new right tackle (Anthony Davis), a new left guard (Mike Iupati), (Michael) Crabtree missing all of training camp, I thought we were a work in progress. But we showed signs of getting on track in the New Orleans Monday night game. I thought we were making strides. The continuity wasn't where it should be because of the changing, but I thought we were heading in the right direction."

Q: Was there ever any debate inside the building, philosophically, between you and Mike Singletary about what the offense should be doing?
Raye: "No."

Q: Were you given full power to do whatever you wanted with the offense?
Raye: "I was carrying out the head coach's wishes. I was doing what I was brought here to do under his philosophy he wanted installed. I tried as best I could to carry that out with the quarterbacking and the personnel that we had. I didn't come in and say, 'This is my offense, and I'm running this, and if you don't like it, you can get somebody else.' I was doing what was given me to do.

Q: Do you think the decision for the 49ers to part ways with you came from above Mike Singletary?
Raye: "I don't know. I don't know and I'm not going to speculate on that. I worked for him. He's the guy I talked to who told me he was relieving me. You know me well enough to know I deal in the facts. And he was the guy I communicated with. I never communicated with management since I've been here about anything football-wise. He was my superior, so he's the one who made the decision, as far as I'm concerned.

Q: After the game, Mike said you'd be the coordinator for the rest of the season. Did he ever express the same thing to you?
Raye: "I wasn't aware of that. I fully expected that. They've had a different offensive coordinator for the past seven years, and we'd started to get something going continuity-wise. I thought that. But, no, I wasn't aware that was said."

Q: Was there a pre-scheduled meeting for Monday morning between you and Singletary?
Raye: "No, there wasn't a meeting scheduled. I went in like my normal routine at 6 o'clock Monday morning to start working on Atlanta, and Mike came in and said he wanted to talk to me. We had the conversation and that was it.

Q: Being in this game as long as you've been, I'm sure you've seen a lot. Was this more difficult to take?
Raye: "No. I told the team when we cut to the 53-man roster, I told them that the expectations have gone up and it would not be business as usual. The scrutiny would be swift. So, I guess, when you go 0-3 and you start off with the expectations we had, with everybody saying we were going to be this dominant team in the NFC West, and we start off 0-3, lost a division game in Seattle, it didn't surprise me that something happened. I was still a little stunned and disappointed, but if we'd been 1-2 or 2-1 and even won the Monday night game, I think this conversation wouldn't be taking place. I think with the level of expectation and, three weeks into the season, the presumed failure that a young team is trying to germinate and find itself is a little, I think, a little rushed. It's a journey -- a 16-game journey. And you can still win your division and do the things you set out to do. It was a reaction. I wasn't aware of what you said earlier about that statement (Singletary's vote of confidence), but it really doesn't matter now because I was terminated.

"The only way I look at it, I feel OK about what I did here, the development of Alex Smith and the development of Vernon Davis, the play of the offense over the last 10 games or so of last year, the infusion of the new talent of offensive linemen, the change at center, the loss of Ted Ginn, the change there . . . all the things that go into a pro football season. We were taking that on and trying to combat it. But you have to win, and I understand that. We didn't win, and I paid the price for that. I'm not going to let what I've stood for over 33 years in the National Football League be affected by the 19 games I coached for the San Francisco 49ers. I did a standup job for them. I feel good about what we were able to accomplish. Would I've liked to have been 3-0? Yes. But it wasn't the case. It's not going to dissuade me from what was accomplished, and what I think was in the making if we'd been able to continue doing what we were doing."

Q: After Seattle game you said the offensive coordinator and the quarterback have to take a lot of the heat, rightly or wrongly, after the offense struggles. How would you say Alex Smith did, as far as carrying out what you wanted him to do?
Raye: "I think he did well. It's a work in progress. There were signs . . . it's like raising a child. There were signs of the things you taught and the maturity. And there were times when it was just OK. In the long run, it was at the point where the adjustments were not as difficult or the things you talked about weren't as difficult to correct. They were not as far-reaching as they were a year ago. That part of it was OK. We went into Kansas City, it was a 10 o'clock start for us, Pacific Time. I don't know if our guys handled that very well. We didn't play with a lot of pop. They played with a lot of zest and energy. They beat us. We didn't play very well coming off what was anticipated a step forward against New Orleans, so I was taken aback at that. But it's one step in 16, as I viewed it. I was just ready to go on to the next game. You learn in this business that you have to move on to the next opponent. You can't dwell on 'coulda, woulda, if.' I was moving on. I was OK with where that all was."

Q: When you look at the offense, it seemed you guys had become predictable with the inside running game and the short-passing game and were never attempted to stretch the field. Is that a fair assessment?
Raye: "No, it's not. We feed and dial off the run. That is the backbone of the structure that was in place. Kansas City was a good run defense team, and that will prove itself out over the course of the season. They're very good against the run, and early on we anticipated that was going to be the case. Because of the crowd nose and what had happened in Seattle, we didn't want to get into a throw-throw-throw situation of holding the ball and letting No. 91 (Tamba Hail) and No. 50 (Mike Vrabel) get up the field on us. Some of that was by design to get the ball out quickly. We didn't think, 'We're not going to throw the ball down the field.' I saw a couple go-routes fail over the top of Crabtree's head out of bounds. It's in the eye of the beholder, and because I look at it more from a technical aspect than a layperson, people's judgment is what it is, and I'm going to try to dissuade that."

Q: Did you feel you had the full support of your coaching staff? As MIke Singletary said, did you feel like there was a rat in the building?
Raye: "The guys I worked with, I enjoyed the time I spent with them. I think they're quality football coaches. I didn't spend any energy in trying to find out if somebody in there was uncomfortable or whether somebody in there had a different agenda. I never spent any energy on that. I thought they all did an admirable job.

Q: Now, Mike Johnson takes over as coordinator. Have you spoken to him since this has happened? And what kind of job do you think he'll do in that role?
Raye: "No, I haven't had an opportunity to have a conversation with him. I think he'll do fine."

Raye, 64, began his NFL coaching career in 1977 with the 49ers under Ken Meyers. He coached in the NFL every season since. This was his 34th season.

Q: What's are your plans now?
Raye: "Foremost on my plate is getting to my grandson's basketball game on Friday in Houston, Texas. Short of that, getting myself moved back home to the East Coast (Pinehurst, N.C.). Take a deep breath and look back on it with a non-emotional state and make some assessments and go from there.

Q: Do you plan to remain on as president of the NFL Coaches Association?
Raye: "I haven't made that decision. At this point I don't want to deal with that. I didn't anticipate third week of the season not doing football like I've done for the last 34 years, so I want to take my time and let this all settle and make some decisions going forward once I get back and settled."

Read more: Raye's Exit Interview: He Followed Coach's 'Wishes'
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Johnson plans to utilize existing playbook
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/30/SP991FLS3K.DTL

New 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Johnson handed out his first game plan Wednesday morning.

Those expecting a radical change from former offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye's book will not like what running back Frank Gore had to say.

"Really, it's the same thing," Gore said. "I think now coach Johnson may use more personnel to give defenses different looks, that they can't just sit and know what's coming.

"But it's the same stuff. It's just using everybody and giving different looks."

Johnson couldn't rewrite the playbook if he wanted to, not three games into the season. It isn't about installing a new offense as much as using all the elements of the existing playbook and getting all of the players involved.

Raye's playbook had multiple formations and spread-offense elements in it. He just didn't use them very much.

That, everyone seems to agree, will be the biggest difference between what Johnson will do that Raye did not before he was fired Monday.

"It's being able to be flexible," quarterback Alex Smith said. "You have to know what the defense is doing to you and combat that, know how to attack that. It's just trying to find those opportunities to get everyone in a position to make plays."

Standing pat: Coach Mike Singletary said there are no changes to the starting lineup after promising to make "hard decisions" this week.

Looks like Raye is the only one losing his job after an 0-3 start. Singletary said he never considered changing play callers before Sunday's 31-10 loss at Kansas City.

"I think Jimmy did the best job that he could in terms of what I want," said Singletary, who reiterated he wants a physical offense that is balanced and detailed.

Briefly: Singletary is undecided if Johnson will remain on the sidelines, where he has relayed the plays to Smith, or assume Raye's seat in the coaches booth. ... Center Eric Heitmann practiced for the first time since breaking his leg in training camp.

Mar 12, 2010
ME SMELLS DECEPTION THERE WILL BE CHANGES ON THE O-LINE AS WELL AS THE DEFENSE. I DONT THINK THERE WILL BE A CHANGE IN TERMINOLOGY BUT THERE WILL BE PLAYS USED DIFFERENTLY AND POSSIBLY WITH A FASTER TEMPO

Oct 23, 2009
^What possible changes that would really be an upgrade though? Best case scenario is Heitmann will be good to go and maybe shifting Baas to RG.

Snyder and Rachal are inconsistent at best.

Mar 12, 2010
HERE IT IS...
My break down

offensive line: with two rookies and a second year player that isnt producing getting the chemistry going could make or break this team. I.e. Putting snyder back at guard and letting rachal learn how to harness his strength before putting him back in there

quarterback : i believe give this guy some time and it will calm down his happy feet enabling him to make better throws or you could go with having him roll out but that kind of eliminates half of the field unless you are flooding the side you are rolling out to. They believe alex is our best option unless he absolutely shows no progress expect him to be there.

running backs: look we have gore in the back field along with westbrook and dixon somebody has the speed to hit the edge and make people miss running to the outside is not a crime although that could have been the reason why coffee really left was because he liked to bounce it outside. For crying out loud can we keep gore fresh by bringing westbrook on the field and letting him get a couple touches and not just on screens so frank doesnt have to take all the abuse. Dixon can run the rock as well. Enough about our backs

tightends and receiverslain and simple get our play makers the ball give alex time to throw to these guys and we will be golden. Crabtree if you want to be one of the greatest you are going to have to play like one of the greatest and go across the middle and catch across the middle. Morgan was looking very good so far hopefully his injury doesnt keep him out too long and once ginn is back we will be able to stretch the field alot more with him and vernon davis using their speed to keep the defense from stacking the box a couple of big plays from these two burners and gore no longer has 8 in the box to contend with.

defense line and linebackers:i am grouping these together because here is the niners strong point the only problem i see is our olbs not playing football. What i mean by that is they are not reading and reacting which is why we are getting burned on screens. It would be a different thing if they were sent on a blitz and somebody was covering the flat but thats not the case (the play where travis laboy got burned by mccluster he looked lost and didnt have the speed to recover). As much as us fans think patrick willis can be everywhere, he cant but he does a great job covering as much of the field as he humanly possibly can. Our other linebackers have to help by wrapping up and making the tackles. Getting to that defensive line the only thing i can say they need to do is gett a better push and finish the play they look gased and look to give up right when they are so close to bringing the quarter back down in the backfield or even the runningback. Better conditioning or a better rotation of defensive lineman to keep those hawgs fresh should shore up that problem.

safeties and cornerbacks: this is a group of guys that i hate to say need to back off and not be so aggresive. Jumping routes and not playing their positions is really killing this team. We have guys that can bang with the best of them but you have to know your role. When was the last time you seen a double reverse option pass work that well. I will say this those trick plays have burned the niners real good the past couple years. The colts game for example. Case in point again where the defensive backs came up to tackle the running back leaving a streaking receiver wide open in the endzone. If these guys just stay on their man or zone imagine the how the opponents scores will drop.

These are just some of the things that i have seen watching the 49ers play. They definately have the players to go out there and hang with anybody but it is up to the coaching staff to put these guys in the position to succeed in making the plays they are suppose to make. I am optimistic that this very well could be a turning point in the season and very well could make or break this season but it is up to the coaches to come into the game with a well thought out plan and the players to execute the plays.

Dec 4, 2006
I think the only Offense change that should made is Alex Smith ...time to give Carr or Troy Smith a fucking change...

I don't know what Singletary see's in Alex Smith that we don't?

The guy has basically failed in 3 games as much as Singletary .....

Oct 23, 2009
Looks like Reggie Smith will be the man

SANTA CLARA -- The 49ers boarded their team flight to Atlanta on Friday without respected veteran safety Michael Lewis on board.

And Lewis will not be coming back to the team, said Lewis' agent, Rodney Williams.

"The relationship is beyond repair," Williams told Comcast SportsNet on Friday. "We've asked to be released."

The 49ers have yet to release Lewis, 30, who has started 50 games for the organization after signing as a free agent in 2007. Lewis agreed to a dramatic pay cut -- from $4.1 million in base salary to $1.7 million, plus a $400,000 roster bonus -- in July to play one final season with the 49ers.

The 49ers told Lewis on Friday there would be a reduction in his play time to get "the young guy" -- presumably rookie Taylor Mays on the field. This came after being told earlier in the week there would be no change to Lewis' status, Williams said.

Mays, the No. 49 overall draft pick, has been the 49ers' No. 4 safety. He did not see any action on defense in the 49ers' first three games behind Lewis, Dashon Goldson and Reggie Smith. Mays said it has been difficult for him to watch from the sideline after being a four-year starter at USC.

"A little bit, but at the same time I'm trying to learn what I need to do to be successful and successful in this defense," Mays said. "The guys who are playing are very deserving of what they're doing. I'm OK with the situation."

Coach Mike Singletary indicated that Mays practiced more with the first team Friday because Smith is already familiar with the 49ers' defense.

"The thing is Reggie has been here for three years, so Reggie has a good feel for what we're doing," Singletary said. "Taylor, in case he has to play, whether it's a sub situation or base situation, it's just a matter of him knowing as much as he can and we want to get him all the reps that he possibly can."

Said Mays, "I know Michael Lewis wasn't here today, but I don't know what the reason was. I'll be ready to play. I'm approaching this the same way. It's the same situation."

When Lewis missed five snaps in the 49ers' 31-10 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs with an ankle sprain, Smith took over for him.

"I just need to be ready," said Smith, a third-round draft pick in 2008. "I know I'm on all the special teams and what-not, so I just got to be ready for anything."

Singletary said Lewis skipped practice Friday for "personal reasons." He declined to elaborate. The NFL Network reported on Monday that Lewis and veteran inside linebacker Takeo Spikes had been benched. But Singletary denied that report, saying there were no changes to the 49ers' lineup for Sunday's game at Atlanta.

According to Williams, he and Lewis have heard different things from different people within the 49ers' organization.

When asked who is calling the shots for the 49ers, Williams answered, "That's the problem. I don't know, and I don't think they know."

The 49ers were unavailable for comment Friday evening, as the team was en route to Atlanta.