Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
Niners on mine! Not just today, but for the rest of my motherfucking life!! We could go 0-16 for the rest of my life and I would never think twice about where my loyalty lies. Straight niner ridin 4 life!!

Oct 23, 2009
LOL @ Sing not shaking hands after L

SANTA CLARA – The reinforcements are on their way.

Mike Singletary on Wednesday said three players who mostly have been lost to injuries this season are back on the practice field for the winless 49ers.

Perhaps the most significant returnee is wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., who has been out since spraining his knee late in a Week 1 loss against Seattle. Ginn, one of the fastest players on the team, should provide an immediate lift to a kick-return game that ranks 31st in the league.

He also promises to add pop to a passing attack averaging only 6.1 yards a reception, 27th in the league. Running back Frank Gore had the longest reception – 19 yards – in Sunday's loss to Atlanta, but even that was a short toss that Gore turned into a big gain.

Among the wideouts, Michael Crabtree's longest catch was 15 yards. Josh Morgan's was 10. The team's only trip into the red zone came courtesy of a 34-yard pass interference call in the first quarter.

Quarterback Alex Smith said Ginn has "very unique speed, first of all, and he can take the top off of a defense. I think he's someone that (defenses) really are going to have to respect and should respect. And if they don't, he's a guy that can really stretch the defense and give us another dynamic that we maybe haven't had."

Singletary said Ginn's presence won't necessarily translate into 80-yard touchdowns. But he said the wideout should at least loosen up the defense for his teammates.

"If he can get down the field, and you have a Crabtree and a Josh Morgan and a Vernon Davis, it makes the other teams really have to pick their poison," Singletary said.

Meanwhile, neither center Eric Heitmann, who has been out because of a broken leg since Aug. 9, nor cornerback Will James, who sprained an ankle Aug. 15, is on the injury report this week. Singletary said Heitmann still must get into "football shape" and hedged when asked if he would return to the starting lineup.

Shaky finish – Singletary admitted Wednesday that he did not shake hands with Falcons coach Mike Smith after Sunday's loss in Atlanta.

Singletary acknowledged that he was "ticked" after the 49ers lost the lead in the final seconds.

"It was poor sportsmanship on my behalf," he said. "That's all it was."

After last year's game against Atlanta, Singletary got into a sideline shouting match with Falcons guard Harvey Dahl and afterward said he needed to control his emotions better. Singletary also used all three timeouts at the end of the 2009 game, even though the score was 45-10 at the time.

"I don't know if any of you guys ever get ticked," he said. "I'd be the first to tell my kids, 'That's wrong.' I should've gone over and shook his hand. … I chose not to for a number of reasons. But nothing else was on my mind. But I was disappointed, and that was a very honest feeling after the game."

The Falcons declined to comment on the snub.

Et cetera – Singletary continues to support Alex Smith. Asked when he'd consider making a change at quarterback, Singletary said, "I'm nowhere near that point."

• Backup tight end Delanie Walker has a high ankle sprain, which promises to keep him out several weeks.

• Punt returner Kyle Williams was limited in practice because of a finger injury.

Dec 4, 2006
Fuck Singletary and his "Alex Smith is the QB for our team" mentality ...

he needs to realize the only reinforcement he needs...is from a vet QB that can execute passes.....

Dec 4, 2006
I wouldn't mind him as part of the team right now...

Singletary fucked up in so many ways...he could have gotten Vick, McNabb ...and right now he needs to go after a vet QB....like Garcia.

Some people think he doesn't have it in him anymore, I say he do....

Feb 12, 2004
I posted around February that we should have traded for McNabb, drafted Mike Iupati and Bulaga, Davis or Williams. Unfortunately, I only got 2 right.

edit - found it

Would you guys trade a 2nd round pick for Donovan McNabb? I was reading that's what the rumors are saying that he might go for. We take 2 OL with our 2 1st rounders like Iupati and Bulaga. We already have all the offensive weapons and our O line would be upgraded by a lot. With Donovan throwing the ball behind a good line our O would be pretty deadly. Plus he'd help the niners groom Nate Davis the entire time.

Dec 4, 2006
Mike Iupati was my only pick ...I had Taylor Mays, but removed him....

but what can we do now? all we can do is *SIGH* everytime the 49ers take another L...

hopefully this weekend they turn it around for the best...

Oct 23, 2009
49ers Gameday Live is Now Available

Shit would be ill for instant replays
------------------------------------------------

The 49ers official mobile application, 49ers Gameday Live, is now available for iPhone, Android and Blackberry devices. 49ers Gameday Live allows fans at Candlestick Park, through a Wi-Fi connection, to view multiple camera angles and watch the NFL RedZone live on their smartphones. All fans will have the ability to follow real-time statistics (including drive-by-drive stats, box-scores, standings and player statistics) and catch the latest news and twitter feeds on the team, regardless of their location.

“49ers Gameday Live is another way we are improving our game day experience at Candlestick Park for our fans,” said Paraag Marathe, 49ers Executive Vice President of Football and Business Operations. “The application provides our fans with another avenue into the latest information about the team and gives them the opportunity to follow the game even closer while at the stadium.”

Fans interested in downloading the free application should go to the Android Market, the iTunes Store or the MobiHand application store. HP TouchSmart screens with the 49ers Gameday Live Suite version are available in the Rambus Press Box for media to sample.

49ers Gameday Live is powered by YinzCam. YinzCam's products allow teams to leverage their digital-media assets and provide fans with new engaging in-game experiences on smartphones.

“As a die-hard football fan, I can imagine nothing better than following a game’s drive-by-drive stats and watch the RedZone Channel inside the stadium, on my own smartphone,” said Priya Narasimhan, Chairman and Founder of YinzCam, Inc., “YinzCam is thrilled to have an opportunity to work closely with the 49ers to launch this new fan experience.”

Oct 23, 2009
Can't dispute facts

Maiocco does a good job of breaking down stats here pointing out that Singletary's run first mentality won't work anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think the quarterback is very important. Do I think he's the most important? No, I don't. I think the rules of the NFL, I think there's certain things that have made the quarterback the most important thing, but once again the thing that I feel is this: If the only way that you could win football games is that you have to have a good quarterback or a great quarterback, then I would say that the quarterback is the most important thing in this game. A great example is the game we played on Sunday. I think Matt Cassel is a good quarterback. Do I think he's a great quarterback? Do I think he's the most important part of that offense? No I do not. But they won the game. So I feel that it's important for us, and I think every team is different. If I'm a passing team, yes, I think the quarterback could be. If I am the Indianapolis Colts, yes I think the quarterback is the most important part. If I am the New England Patriots, I think the quarterback is the most important part of that offense. The 49ers right now, I feel that the quarterback is very important, but I don't think he's the most important part of our offense. I think there are 11 guys, and in this offense, I want 11 guys to know that each and every one of them on every play are very important."
-- Mike Singletary, Sept. 29

"As a starting quarterback in the NFL, you are more responsible for wins and losses than any player on the field."
-- Alex Smith, Oct. 6

Recent history suggests Alex Smith is right. And Mike Singletary is wrong. In the modern-day NFL, teams typically can't succeed without a top quarterback. Oh, teams can win some games with guys like Matt Cassel. But teams with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady win more. A lot more.

This is not revolutionary. There's a reason nine of the past 12 top overall picks in the NFL Draft have been quarterbacks. Pick Manning -- Peyton or Eli -- and win a Super Bowl. Pick Tim Couch and set the franchise back a decade.

With this in mind, the answer to a popular question - Will the Niners turn it around? - is possibly quite simple.

If Alex Smith plays better, the 49ers will turn it around.

If Alex Smith - or his replacement - doesn't play better, the 49ers won't.

In other words, the Niners will be, like so many teams, only as good as their quarterback. That's simplifying things a bit. But perhaps not too much.

Consider these numbers from the 2009 season and, as you do, consider that Alex Smith's 66.1 rating this season ranks 27th in the NFL:

• Of the 12 playoff teams, 11 had a quarterback ranked among the top half of the league (top 16) in passer rating.

• Of the 12 playoff teams, five had a running back who gained 1,000 yards.

• Of the quarterbacks ranked among the top 16 in passer rating, 13 played for teams with a winning record. Teams with a top-16 quarterback had a record of 162-94.

• Of the quarterbacks ranked No. 17-32 in passer rating, two played for teams with a winning record. Teams with a quarterback ranked 17-32 had a record of 94-162.

• The 14 teams with a 1,000-yard running back had a record of 109-115. (Carolina had two 1,000-yard running backs and finished 8-8).

• The top four rated quarterbacks (Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers) played for teams with a combined record of 49-15.

• The top four rushers (Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Thomas Jones and Maurice Jones-Drew) played for teams with a combined record of 25-39.

In the opening, I said recent history suggested Singletary was wrong. But he was right about one thing - the rules of the NFL have made the quarterback the most important player on the field.

The Niners need to play by those rules. And hope Alex Smith can follow the directions.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Maiocco: Is Singletary the Problem?
http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/11/10/...he-Problem/landing&blockID=329036&feedID=5936

Niners president and CEO Jed York fired off a text message to ESPN's Adam Schefter Monday morning. He guaranteed the 49ers would win the NFC West title this season.

Oh, brother. Here we go again.

The 49ers have made a lot of promises and guarantees since 2003. I'm not sure they have delivered on any of them. The 49ers have repeatedly told their fan base of the great things ahead for the franchise.

The 49ers are 0-5. The Raiders, fresh off a victory over the San Diego Chargers, are next on the schedule.

Coach Mike Singletary is expected to take the lectern for his 11:45 a.m. press conference today. That would mean he'll remain in his position for at least another week -- at least through the 49ers' home game Sunday against the Raiders.

At this point, nothing could possibly come as a surprise around the 49ers. Quarterback Alex Smith might or might not be benched. Singletary might or might not remain as head coach for the remainder of the season.

Singletary's performance has come under a lot of scrutiny, and for good reason. The 49ers have progressively gotten worse under his watch. Singletary had a 5-4 record in 2008 after taking over when Mike Nolan was fired. The 49ers were 8-8 last year, and now they're 0-5. Singletary's record is 13-17. The club has shown an uncanny propensity for making critical mistakes at inopportune times.

But does sacking the head coach solve the real problem with the organization? After all, the 49ers' last winning season was 2002. The club won the NFC West with a 10-6 record, and won a playoff game. Steve Mariucci's reward as head coach of the 2002 team was a pink slip.

Under the direction of John York and, now, Jed York, the 49ers have not experienced success with three different head coaches that followed Mariucci and three different personnel chiefs. (Of course, Trent Baalke is still new on the job, so we should leave him out of it.)

Is changing the head coach really the answer for the 49ers at this stage in the season? Let's take a look:

The Case to Fire the Head Coach

--Singletary's vision for the offense seems archaic. He interviewed some quality candidates for the 49ers' offensive coordinator position in January 2009. But Scott Linehan and Clyde Christensen wanted no part of the restrictions Singletary put in place for the offensive coordinator.

Singletary hired Jimmy Raye, who said he could give the 49ers what the head coach wanted. Singletary fired Raye on Sept. 27, and replacement Mike Johnson -- while showing more variations -- is progressing with a run-first mentality.

--Singletary is hands-off as a head coach. His coordinators devise the game strategy. The 49ers' have shown an alarming lack of attention to detail. Singletary's primary contribution is motivational speaking. The 49ers have heard his message over and over, and he does not seem to have any answers.

--Singletary has not always been a good representative of the 49ers' organization in ways that do not involve winning or losing. He has made a series of emotional and immature mistakes.

He refused to shake hands with Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith after the 49ers' last-second loss on Oct. 3. And he got angry to questions from KPIX's Dennis O'Donnell during an interview in the second week. Singletary heard something in O'Donnell's questions that nobody else interpreted. Later, Singletary said he was "baited."

The Case to Retain the Head Coach

--How much of what's happened is Singletary's fault? Is Singletary really the main issue?

Was it his fault Frank Gore fumbled twice Sunday night and the defense couldn't tackle LeSean McCoy or Kevin Kolb? Was it his fault Joe Nedney missed a 40-yard field goal? Was it Singletary's fault that Alex Smith could not hold onto the ball before throwing it out of bounds to avoid a sack?

Should Singletary be held accountable for the bad individual plays that keep preventing the 49ers from winning games? (Or is he wound so tightly the players start pressing?)

--There is still time for the 49ers to make this season interesting. Of course, the 49ers are 0-5. The club would have to win eight of its final 11 games just to match last year's .500 record. We know the NFC West is not a great division, but the Cardinals are 3-2 after a home victory against the New Orleans Saints.

--The 49ers would not be able to hire a head coach from outside in the middle of the season, so the team would have to promote an interim coach from within to finish the season. Greg Manusky and Johnson have their hands full as the coordinators. Offensive line coach Mike Solari is preoccupied trying to mold two rookies into serviceable players.

Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula is the only coach who has head-coaching experience (Rhein Fire of now-defunct NFL Europe, 2006). Other veteran coaches on the staff are Johnnie Lynn (special assistant to head coach/secondary), Jerry Sullivan (wide receivers/senior assistant), Pete Hoener (tight ends) and Tom Rathman (running backs).

What is obvious, based on the crowd reaction at Candlestick Park on Sunday, is that the fans have finally had enough. And it's going to take a lot more than than a hollow guarantee to appease them.

Feb 14, 2004
Jed York is high lol

Jed York: 49ers will win NFC West

Even though the San Francisco 49ers are one of the NFL's three currently winless teams and mired in last place in the NFC West, owner and president Jed York predicted they are going to bounce back in historic fashion.

"We're going to win the division," York predicted Monday morning in a text to ESPN.

The 49ers fell to 0-5 after losing 27-24 at home to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday night.

If the 49ers do win the division, they will make history. Under the NFL's current playoff format adopted in 1990, no team ever has opened the season 0-5 and reached the playoffs, no less won its division. If the 49ers are going to reverse the trend, they need to start doing it Sunday against Oakland, which is 2-3 after ending a 13-game losing streak against the San Diego Chargers.

But consider that the 49ers have played only one divisional game, at Seattle in the opener, and still have five more games left against the NFC West teams they are trying to bypass. Arizona is in first place in the division with a 3-2 record, Seattle is 2-2 and St. Louis is 2-3.

Plus, in the weakest division in football, the 49ers' schedule in the final 11 games is not exactly daunting.

San Francisco hosts Oakland, plays at Carolina, plays Denver in London, has a bye, hosts St. Louis and Tampa Bay, travels to Arizona for a Monday night game and then plays at Green Bay, returns home for Seattle, plays at San Diego and at St. Louis, and finishes the season at home against Arizona.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5673466

Dec 4, 2006
The fuck Jed York is on? he smoking some good ass rocks..

he wants his team to win games?? he better dispose Singletary and hire a better QB or give Troy Smith or Carr a shot....