Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 12, 2010
COACH SING IS GONNA KILL ONE OF THESE SMART ASS REPORTERS

Thoughts inside coach singletary: if another one of these dumb ass reporter talks about the rat im going to have look for new places to hide the bodies

Oct 23, 2009
I'm bored and its all the same reports everywhere...

LMAO

from "@JimmyRaye" twitter:

just bought a few coloring books on this internet from a guy named amazon

@DZeigler17 Z i need you to sell the 9 route on 3rd and 10, we'll be running lots of draws

@NateDavis7 nathan there is no page 2 in the playbook, only half a page

tomorrow me and mike are goin to have an arm wraslin tournament

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
O'DONNELL IS THE WORST BAY AREA SPORTS GUY BY FAR, I HATE EVERY GAME WHEN I HAVE TO LISTEN TO HIM.

THANK GOD WHEN I GOT THE BLACK OUT GAME IT WAS A RAIDER STATION AND I GOT TO LISTEN TO GREG PAPA INSTEAD.
I like greg papa, best caller in the NFL in my opnion

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
LMAO

from "@JimmyRaye" twitter:

just bought a few coloring books on this internet from a guy named amazon

@DZeigler17 Z i need you to sell the 9 route on 3rd and 10, we'll be running lots of draws

@NateDavis7 nathan there is no page 2 in the playbook, only half a page

tomorrow me and mike are goin to have an arm wraslin tournament
rofl

theres more

was watchin saints film with sing but got bored so he put passion of the christ on instead

@NateDavis7 son you should be usin those flash cards we made for you

Oct 23, 2009
I was wondering why Spikes was out of the game and Bowman was in on Monday, looks like Bowman will start Sunday.

SANTA CLARA – The 49ers have been on the lookout for a backup inside linebacker since they made their final roster cuts Sept. 2.

Their search, however, became a little more urgent Monday night when starter Takeo Spikes left the game with a bruised knee.

Rookie NaVorro Bowman entered the game and played well, finishing with five tackles and drawing praise from one former Pro Bowl linebacker, Mike Singletary, and a current one, Patrick Willis.

"He came out there and he had everything down like he was supposed to," Willis said of Bowman's performance Monday. "And that's what a pro does. When his number's called, he comes in and is ready to go. And he was."

Still, Bowman was the team's only reserve at the position. Spikes did not practice Wednesday, and Bowman said he thinks he'll start Sunday in Kansas City.

Last year, the team signed free agent Matt Wilhelm off the street when Spikes was injured at midseason. Wilhelm was familiar with coordinator Greg Manusky's defense, having played under Manusky in San Diego. But the team reached an injury settlement with Wilhelm earlier this month, and because of that they cannot re-sign him until later this year.

Singletary, meanwhile, said the 49ers are being particular about whom they bring in and will not rush the process.

"We're trying to keep from just going out and grabbing a body," Singletary said. "But we are aware of (Spikes' injury) and just continue to talk with our trainers and make sure we stay on top of it."

More Gore – In the first two games this season, Brian Westbrook and Anthony Dixon have each carried the ball once. The rest of the running back carries have gone to Frank Gore.

Singletary has talked in the past about limiting the wear and tear on Gore this season, but it sounded as if the current dynamic will continue over the next few games.

"Frank really hasn't carried the ball a lot," Singletary said. "You know in the first game it was less than 20 carries. This game, he carried the ball well, but we're trying to be careful about what we're doing. We're trying to be smart. We do want to have him the whole season and be as healthy as he can be, so we are keeping an eye on him."

Et cetera – Singletary said return man Ted Ginn Jr. (knee) was day-to-day and the team hoped rookie wide receiver Kyle Williams (toe) would resume practicing this week.

• Quarterback Alex Smith said the wristband he wore Monday contained 180 plays. Each play call – they often have 10 or more variables – is represented by a single number on the wristband, which cuts down on the amount of time it takes to relay the call to him.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
In the wake of last week's tense interview with coach Mike Singletary, Dennis O'Donnell, the host of the "Coach's Corner" segment on KPIX, has been replaced by Kim Coyle. Coyle takes over starting with today's taping.

Because the show is done as part of a contracted partnership, the 49ers have editorial input. 49ers spokesman Bob Lange said changing hosts was a "joint agreement (with KPIX) to give the interviews a better dynamic going forward."

The key, Lange said, is that Coyle will be able to do the interviews face-to-face with Singletary at the 49ers' team headquarters in Santa Clara. O'Donnell asked his questions from the KPIX studio in San Francisco.

O'Donnell and Ron Longinotti, the KPIX general manager, did not return phone calls.

Oct 23, 2009
Bend but Don't Break D

That shit is killing them right now. The OLB's aren't containing the plays and its leaving the safeties and corners to take down the RB's on the screen plays.

Haralson just looks like shit in pass coverage....teams have learned that we do 1 thing very good..stop the straight up run.

Feb 12, 2009
Ray Ratto
CSNBayArea.com

So it’s settled, then. Jimmy Raye did this to the 49ers.

Pathetic. Also, predictable. And most of all, spectacularly impulsive.

This is Mike Singletary’s legacy -- believe with all his heart about something, and then swing wildly in an 180-degree pivot when his first instinct proves wrong. Tuesday morning, the offense ran well against New Orleans. Sunday evening, the offense was a shambles. Time to blow something up.

In short, Raye is a scapegoat, and nothing more. Perhaps a well-deserving scapegoat given the results, but a thoroughly scaped goat nonetheless.

He did what he was told as best he could, and to get canned a day after Singletary stood so stridently behind him and front of him means that his dismissal was, barring some explosion in a meeting room or plane that Comrade Maiocco doesn’t know about, simply a cover for a grander problem.

And we expected more of Singletary than that. Our bad, ultimately.

Raye was an easy target, because he wasn’t the prototypical young, spry, precise coach. Also, because what he did (at Singletary’s behest) didn’t work with this team.

So before you get your delicates in a knot, understand that Raye’s firing is not without justification on the merits.

That said, this was a problem Singletary should have recognized before training camp, based on a clear and unambiguous vision for the offense. Singletary does not have that, between the ball-control-turned-spread-turned-ball-control offensive scheme, the drafting, coddling and non-usage of Michael Crabtree, and the acquisition of Brian Westbrook which has gone so well that Westbrook may as well still be a Philadelphia Eagle.

In short, Singletary’s main lack as a coach is not his lack of technical expertise, or his over-reliance on motivational speechifying, but the fact that his offensive core beliefs aren‘t really core beliefs at all, but theories he believes in right up to the point in which he doesn’t believe in them any more.

The message? He doesn’t coach so much as thrash about for a solution that as often as not doesn’t come.

There is a school of thought that this was a decision forced upon him by his superiors, of which there are only three -- Jed York, Paraag Marathe and (I guess) Trent Baalke -- but the result is the same. He either caved to pressure, in which case he is not the all-powerful man the players and staff can rely upon, or he turned from Raye to Mike Johnson after a sleepless night of film study, in which case he is not the implacable rock upon which the players and staff can rely upon.

Singletary was the too-solid-for-words foundation upon which the Jed 49ers could be built. That was the plan, and when the 49ers were wretched, it worked.

But going from wretched to mediocre is the easy part for any coach. It’s the next step that proves a man’s value in the job, and struggling to master that has exposed Singletary not as a man of iron, but a bottle on the sea.

And if you can’t rely on a guy for the reason you hired him to begin with, you probably can’t rely on him to believe in the next thing, or the thing after that.

In short, it’s one thing to declare victory over Dennis O’Donnell. It’s another to get grown men and employees to follow and believe week after week, and if the players sense they cannot believe in a man whose words become inoperative so quickly, you’ll see more games like Sunday’s, and more seasons like the last seven.

The problem with Singletary isn’t intellect. It’s that he doesn’t possess the abundance of strategic foresight that coaches with more experience tend to have. Other coaches who have fired coordinators quickly tend to fail spectacularly because they couldn’t fashion the strengths-versus-weaknesses equations soon enough to avoid the chaos that results.

He couldn’t see Raye as a problem in March or June because he thought it was more important to give Alex Smith continuity, and he used fierce loyalty and unwavering belief as the reason to keep him in place. And that’s plainly no good, especially when the loyalty and belief are eradicated so quickly.

And while we’re at it, what happened to the need for Smithian continuity during his all-nighter? Gone, in a snap.

And now, without loyalty or belief to buttress his arguments, Singletary has to find another gift, and it isn’t as an offensive tactician. Or a strategic thinker. Or a dominator of minds. As of the end of his press conference, he said he still hadn’t told the players he had canned Raye. Now that seems to any logician to be an obvious detail.

So what comes next for Singletary, save an ignominious season and his ultimate firing for not being what he purported to be?

One, he can either become a coach/CEO without portfolio, leaving the defense with Greg Manusky and the offense with Johnson. That gives him little to do except deal with the media and look like the guy in charge, hardly a sensible use of his time, or ours.

Or he has to redefine who he is and what his strengths and contributions are. And Singletary, who likes to live in an unambiguous world without many shades of gray, does not seem the sort for reinvention, let alone shades of anything.

That combination of gifts normally doesn’t end well.

Maybe it can with Singletary; he is at his best when underestimated, and he is unlikely to be estimated much less than he is right now.

But his first job is to prove he really is in command of his own impulses, because he is giving off the unmistakable vibe of a man who isn’t sure what he thinks, and for a man who claims to be secure in his convictions, that plays worst of all.

Read more: Ratto: Singletary Talks One Game, Plays Another
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Dec 12, 2006
They beat up Singleterry in The Examiner today too

Glenn Dickey says, "The season is already prolly lost, but after that the 9ers need to make sweeping changes, starting at the top. Get a real coach, not a motivational speaker."

Dec 9, 2005
I'm starting to feel the same way. I knew X's and O's were not Singletary's strong point from the get go, but the fact that he likes to keep his hands in everything really annoys me. Let the coordinators do their jobs.

Oct 23, 2009
After that press conference it looks like he's gonna ease up on that run first mentality. Sing knows he's not gonna get another shot coaching for a while since he's not an X's and O's guy or have much experience. He's gonna try to buy some more time for himself by giving Mike Johnson room to be creative with his play calling and hoping for the best.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
sing's in game decisions are atrocious. he wasnt this bad of a coach last year.

if sing doesnt get hit shit together he deserves to be canned mid-season.

his alex smith fetish has been a mollywhopper this year, those 2 bad games he shoulda been pulled once we all saw the defense give up on alex - which was pretty early in those games.

sing's words are meaning less and less. from talking about the scheme of the offense, to talking about almost anything else now. he previously talked about how valuable carr was. -- then why not bring him in to try to spark the team when alex is having 1 of his signature games?

sing is making cable look like a genius.

sing isnt who we thought he was. he is a glorified motivational speaker. we thought being a super bowl winner and a hall of fame player would have left him with more knowledge of the game. we were fooled. we thought sing could make tough decisions, the ones that nolan wouldnt make - like realizing who sucks and shouldnt be on the field. we were half fooled - sing has been inconsistent at best.

if sing doesnt win next week, i say can him before we drop to 0-5. promote either manusky or johnson and let them ride out the season while we try to recruit gruden.

Dec 4, 2006
I don't believe in anything Singletary says tho.....he pretty much hasn't done shit...

and I still don't know why Alex Smith still be playing? like seriously...bench his ass and give Carr or Troy Smith a fucking chance...

If I see that shit at the Eagles game...I will jump in the field and get on his helmet...