NEW X-men 2012

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 17, 2004
Since I have been a fan of X-men since I was a kid, this sounds a little bit interesting but from a movie standpoint I would have to say that X-men without Wolverine is complete fail. He is really the reason why any of those movies did so well.

And yea I know Wolverine wasn't part of the first class...

X-men was pretty lame until they started introducing more intriguing characters.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I don't understand this first class nonsense. I don't understand why beast would be a blue hairy thing if its set in the 60s. I don't understand who Azazel, Angel something or another, or moira mctaggart are besides killable characters. I don't understand why havoc is in x-men before his older brother. I don't understand why angel is a bitch, instead of a guy with wings who eventually has them cut off and turns blue. I don't understand why x-men, with as many people and storylines as it has, continues to be destroyed. Regardless, I'll most likely watch, although I ain't trippin if I see the unfinished screener a la Wolverine, the hilarious unfinished portions made the movie halfway watchable. They been fucking up X-Men since they started making movies out of it.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
I don't understand this first class nonsense.
It's the first class that Professor Xavier assembled to teach.

I don't understand why beast would be a blue hairy thing if its set in the 60s.
You got me, too. Beast was a human for a short while during the birth of the X-Men, but it's possible to accelerate it for the role in this film... or, he could be part of a future cast and portrayed while they're having flashbacks. Ian McKellan is rumored to be narrating the film, so it's possible to have an interweaving storyline past and present.

This particular story is actually the fusing of the now defunct X-Men Origins titles for Professor Xavier and Magneto. Instead of making stand alone stories that would begin to weave together through both stories, they've written an arc for both characters into one film while showcasing characters unfamiliar with casual fans.

I don't understand who Azazel, Angel something or another, or moira mctaggart are besides killable characters.
Azazel and Mystique are Nightcrawler's parents. Azazel also fathered other Marvel characters throughout the universe.

Angel:
Driven out of home by her abusive step-father, fourteen-year old Angel Salvadore slept in the woods, where her mutant nature manifested itself in the form of a protective cocoon. Emerging, Angel was shocked to discover she had grown fly-like wings. She was found by the U-Men, a group of humans who harvested mutant body parts to graft onto themselves. Before they could make Angel their next unwilling donor, she was rescued by Wolverine and taken to the Xavier Institute. Angel reluctantly enrolled as a student, and was soon forced to help the Stepford Cuckoos and Beak oppose an assault by the alien Shi'ar Imperial Guard. Angel was subsequently placed in the Special Class taught by the mutant healer Xorn.
Later, during a flight class, Angel accepted a dare to kiss Beak, unintentionally causing him to fall in love with her. To her own surprise, Angel began to fall for him as well, and on a school camping trip they snuck away to have an intimate encounter before they were attacked by U-Men. With Xorn's help, the U-Men were defeated, and the Class returned to the Institute in time to help quell a riot fomented by Quentin Quire. Angel subsequently told Beak she was pregnant, and laid eggs on the ceiling of a shack on the school's grounds. She was implicated in an attempt on the life of teacher Emma Frost just before her eggs hatched, but it was ultimately revealed that she had been mentally controlled by rogue Stepford Cuckoo Esme.
Soon after, Xorn was coerced by an unknown party into believing he was the X-Men's nemesis Magneto, and the Special Class were convinced by Esme, one of the Stepford Cuckoos, to serve as his Brotherhood until his defeat by the X-Men. Later, Beak became unhinged from time and joined the reality-hopping Exiles team, leaving Angel and the children to believe he had abandoned them. During the Scarlet Witch's reality warp, Angel lived a life as a successful and childless plus-sized model with no memory of Beak. She was briefly possessed by the reality-altering mutant Proteus before he was forced out of her body during an encounter with the Exiles. Near death, Angel was healed by a regenerative serum the Exiles had obtained. After reality was restored, both Angel and Beak discovered they and all of their children, excepting Tito, had lost their mutant powers.

Basically, she comes from the New X-Men timeline.

Moira McTaggert

The daughter of a powerful Scottish nobleman, Moira Kinross' marriage to Royal Marine Commando Joseph MacTaggert proved disastrous. Whilst studying at college, Moira met and fell in love with Charles Xavier. They became engaged, pending the annulment of Moira’s marriage, but soon after Xavier was drafted into military service. Moira promised to wait until he was released, however while he was recovering from battlefield injuries she broke off their engagement without explanation. Later, whilst in New York City, Joe MacTaggert beat and sexually assaulted Moira, causing her to be hospitalized for a week and leaving her pregnant. From then on, Moira lived apart from her husband, although he refused to grant her a divorce, and she kept the fact that he had a son secret from him for twenty years. Moira forged a brilliant career as a leading geneticist, earning a Nobel Prize, and founded a Mutant Research Center on Muir Island off the coast of Scotland. After renewing contact with Xavier, they discussed the possibility of establishing a school for training mutants. Moira became Xavier’s silent partner in founding the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters and its’ first team of mutant students, the X-Men.
When Moira’s son Kevin began to manifest destructive superhuman mutant powers, she attempted to “cure” him, but her efforts were in vain and she was forced to keep him imprisoned. Moira also came to take a young mutant Scottish girl named Rahne Sinclair as her ward, sending her to study at Xavier’s as a member of the New Mutants.
Moira finally met the X-Men while claiming to be their new housekeeper, but they soon learned her true profession. During her affiliation with the X-Men, Moira fell in love with Sean Cassidy. Meanwhile, Kevin escaped Muir Isle and began to possess the bodies of others, draining their life energies to power his ability to warp perceptions of reality. As Proteus, Kevin terrorized the town of Edinburgh and was confronted by the X-Men. Kevin attacked and possessed his father’s body, killing him, before being killed himself by Colossus.

I don't understand why havoc is in x-men before his older brother.
You got me, too. It's probably from a story arc that casual fans aren't familiar with.

I don't understand why angel is a bitch, instead of a guy with wings who eventually has them cut off and turns blue.
It's simply not the same Angel.

Angel possessed several superhuman abilities akin to those of the common housefly. She had a pair of veined wings growing from her back that allowed her to fly and which she could vibrate at high speed to create a deafening ultrasonic sound. She possessed a reproductive system that involved laying eggs with a complete gestation period of only five days from conception to birth. Angel was also able to vomit a highly acidic substance that she used to partially digest her food prior to consumption.

I don't understand why x-men, with as many people and storylines as it has, continues to be destroyed. Regardless, I'll most likely watch, although I ain't trippin if I see the unfinished screener a la Wolverine, the hilarious unfinished portions made the movie halfway watchable. They been fucking up X-Men since they started making movies out of it.
We'll see if this holds true to the characters. As long as they have a general basis for direction, I'll take my chances. At least the costumes aren't fucking leather. If this movie is filmed in a correct period and style, the tights and colors will work just as well as Kick-Ass.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
New Images: A Much Better Look at Kevin Bacon and the Cast of ‘X-Men: First Class’

Posted on Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 by Russ Fischer

So yesterday we saw a leaked version of an image that artlessly photoshopped the lead characters of Matthew Vaughn‘s X-Men: First Class into a hero lineup. We’ve now got a much higher-resolution version of that image, along with a couple of new looks at the cast in costume. And the new images are so much better than yesterday’s that they almost seem to be from a different film.
Above is the first look at Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, aka one of the villains of the film and the one major character that wasn’t in yesterday’s image. Despite looking a bit like a promo still for a chat show, it’s a serious improvement. That’s January Jones with him as Emma Frost, looking far better than she did in yesterday’s shot. Hit the jump for more pics.
The LA Times presents these images. The shot below is a much better ‘class photo’ of the hero cast. It looks a lot more appropriate to a ’60s-set film, and also looks rather like something that could have come out of Mr. Vaughn’s earlier film Layer Cake.

So what’s the discrepancy between the image we saw yesterday and these new shots? The LAT piece suggests that this isn’t a film that is being born quickly or easily. The film opens on June 3, but is still shooting now. Matthew Vaughn says,
I’m at that stage where I feel like a boxer against the ropes. I’m just throwing punches and taking them as they come and making sure I don’t hit the canvas… I’ve never worked under such time pressure. The good thing about the independent world is I never even knew if I was going to get distribution. I’m used to finishing a film and then crossing your fingers that someone is going to like it. This is totally doing it the other way around. We’ve definitely got a release date and we’ve got to make it.
So the schedule has been rushed, reshoots and some reworking has reportedly been taking place. Will we see the costumes and makeup that were in that shot yesterday? (Large version below, via IGN.) Or was that an early test shot? We’re trying to figure that out, but in the meantime go forth int he hope that First Class will look a lot more like the images above, and that the story and characters will all gel by June.
Click the pic at bottom for a larger image.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
That was one hell of a trailer!

It's reminding me of how excited I was to see the first X-Men movie trailer.

Matthew Vaughn's crisp style is present in the film, and I hope it'll sell well to audiences, pending the film is actually as good as it's looking right now.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Off the heels of the trailer debut for Fox's Matthew Vaughn-directed X-Men: First Class prequel, The Los Angeles Times managed to get a few words with the former director Bryan Singer. Now only serving as producer, Singer discusses his view on competition with other guaranteed blockbusters of the year, the new mutant line-up and gets heavy on mutants hes proud to see grace the big-screen again & for the first time in their new portrayal.

On 2011 competition, “You can never think about that,” producer Bryan Singer said. ”That’s just something you can torture yourself with or stress out about, but you can’t do that and sit there and think, ‘What are they doing? We need to do that.’ That’s the worst thing you can do. You have to make your own movie. It needs to exist in its own universe in terms of perception. Your goal is to make a cool movie. You need to stay focused on that goal.”

When reminded of the prequel's fairly different line-up from the comics,“We have younger versions of Mystique and Beast, so I’m very excited about them and what they bring to the film. Jennifer Lawrence’s work [as Mystique] and Nicholas Hoult’s portrayal of Beast — these are characters that we’ve seen in the earlier films, but then these are very different portrayals and you have to bring a lot of attention to those.”

“I’m also excited about Jason Flemyng as Azazel, which is really cool character. It’s like this sinister alter ego of Nightcrawler in a way, which again brings some of the things that we like about that character but at the same time has a different quality. And I really, really like [Lucas Till as] Havok, who we’re bringing in [to the continuity] at a sort of a different time, relative to the comic book lore. It’s an extremely cool character. What’s great, too, about all of these characters is that they haven’t honed their abilities yet. Havok is a danger to himself and everyone around him. That’s where this movie is at — the recruiting of these mutants and bringing them together.”

When questioned of Havok & Cyclops' "brother" relation, “Yes, the time line is different,” Singer said. “It wouldn’t physically fit for him to be the brother of Cyclops. We take some liberties on that. There are notions, but, um, I don’t want to give away certain interrelations, but let’s just say there are some things that do adhere to the comic books and do so in a way the fans will get a kick out of. And those things can, perhaps, move forward into the future…. That’s one reason we wanted to call the film ‘First Class’ even though it isn’t the [Jeff Parker-penned story arc called] ‘First Class’ in the comics as fans know it. You couldn’t really tell that story without going even earlier and explaining how they got there and how it came to be. I liked the title, so we kept it, but this is a prelude in a way that will eventually lead to the [scenarios] that fit in more clearly with the ‘First Class’ comics and situations.”

Anyhow, X-Men: First Class is scheduled for the big-screen June 3!
Explains a good deal of the canon issues some have been having with the character selection.