MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Renzo Gracie considering comeback as a lightweight

A return to active competition by one of MMA’s true legends may be on the horizon.

Renzo Gracie revealed this past weekend that not only does he consider himself not retired, but he has been contemplating returning to competitive fighting as a lightweight.

Gracie made the revelation during a panel discussion that proceeded the world premiere of the documentary Renzo Gracie: Legacy at the United States Film Festival in Philadelphia this past Saturday.

Gracie has not competed since EliteXC’s first-ever event in February of 2007 in Southaven, Miss. Facing fellow legend Frank Shamrock in a middleweight bout, Gracie was declared the winner after Shamrock was disqualified for delivering illegal knees to the head.

Since the Shamrock fight, Gracie has consistently stated to the media that he has not retired. However, he also had expressed little interest in a possible return, until this past weekend. Citing the drive of some of his younger students training out of his MMA gyms in New York and New Jersey, the 41-year old said working with them has not only motivated him to fight again but that he wants to drop two classes in weight and compete at 155 pounds.

Gracie did not offer a specific timetable for his return and added that when and where he fights again will depend on the quality of offers he receives.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction’s Atencio confirms recent talks with the UFC

Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com on Monday afternoon that a reported September meeting between Affliction and UFC officials in which the UFC tried to stop Affliction from promoting shows did in fact take place.

The story was first broken by MMA Weekly last Wednesday and quoted unnamed industry sources.

“It was just a basic meeting to help get Xtreme Couture on Randy (Couture) since Randy is our partner, so that’s what the meeting was really about,” Atencio initially responded when asked if he could verify reports of the meeting.

Atencio would later confirm that the UFC in fact had expressed an interest in getting Affliction to stop promoting mixed martial arts events. However, when asked just what the UFC was offering in order to entice Affliction to cease MMA operations, Atencio said talks never progressed.

“It didn’t really get into any details like that,” he stated.

The promotion, which is scheduled to hold its second show on Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif. expressed that the idea of no longer promoting shows was never taken seriously.

“No, there was no offer made, so why would we give it any consideration?”

Feb 7, 2006
Exclusive: Kimbo Slice's Manager Talks Future, TUF Offer And EliteXC's Demise

It's been a week since news broke that EliteXC was closing up shop for good. Since then, not many questions have been answered as to what the future holds for its fighters.

One of the biggest questions is what becomes of Kimbo Slice. The former street fighter now turned mixed martial artist was the most hyped and promoted fighter on EliteXC's roster but seems to have little options when it comes to a future in MMA.

UFC president Dana White has often said that he is no fan of all things Kimbo, he did manage to raise some eyebrows this weekend when he cooly offered Slice a spot on an upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter.

"He can be on The Ultimate Fighter," White said at the UFC 90 post-fight press conference. "What's he done other than get 10 million hits on YouTube, what's he done to deserve to be in the UFC? Nothing. I don't consider him a real athlete. He won't win The Ultimate Fighter. The offer's out there if he wants to take it, but he won't win it."

However, not-so-surprisingly, Kimbo Slice's manager, Icey Mike, tells MMARated.com that no formal offer has been made to Slice just yet.

"We still need to go through our shit with EliteXC," Mike said. "Until that is all finalized it's kind of hard to even think about that (but) we are open to anything.

I think more people would watch it if he was on it, (but), honestly, I don't even know what they pay."

So, while it's safe to say that the chances of Slice showing up on TUF are pretty slim, Mike maintains that despite the demise of EliteXC, the 3-1 fighter is still very interested in continuing a career in MMA.

"By no means is he done," Mike said. "He is in the gym training now."

Some have attributed Slice's loss to Seth Petruzelli on October 4th and all the subsequent "Standgate" drama that ensued as a major factor in the demise of EliteXC.

"If he would have won against Shamrock, I think (EliteXC) would be still around," Mike said. "I don't think him winning against Seth would have made a difference in the long run."

Mike mentioned that he has been in contact with former EliteXC staff members but, as of right now, has no idea as to when Slice will be cleared to negotiate with other fight promotions.

"I hope it's not too long," Mike said. "We really don't know what is happening right now. It's in the hands of the lawyers."

And what about our old friend Jared "$kala" Shaw? Surely, Mike has been in constant contact with the former EliteXC vice president, right?

"We talked once after the news came out but not since then," Mike said. "Honestly, I really don't think he is in the loop anymore. Everything is kind of in disarray."

On the topic of disarray, Mike doesn't believe Petruzelli was ever offered more money to stand with Slice.

"I think (Seth) was offerd a KO bonus and misconstrued his words," Mike said. "I think he was in shock from his win (but) it's a good thing the Florida commission cleared (EliteXC) from any wrongdoing."

Feb 7, 2006
SHONIE CARTER: "KIMBO, I STILL WANT YOUR AUTOGRAPH"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3686.html?PHPSESSID=83da95387596a4297a0244e4561894aa
"You laid your eggs in a basket that had holes in it. They had a good thing going and they fucked up. You can't lay your eggs on a street fighter...Kimbo gets knocked out and they go out of business. I give him credit for doing what he did. He went from street fighter to real fighter and fought a few bums and made a half million dollars each...Kimbo, I still want your autograph," stated mixed martial arts veteran Shone "Mr. International" Carter as he shared his thoughts on EliteXC going out of business. Check out what else he had to say as he talks about Kimbo Slice, Anderson Silva, UFC 90 and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Cage Rage lives on, says O'Donnell

British MMA promotion Cage Rage has survived the meltdown that engulfed EliteXC and will continue staging events, it has been announced.

Dave O’Donnell, promoter and owner of the organisation, has established a new company (Cage Rage UK) that will own the brand from now on.

“I can confirm that, having had a bad accident, Cage Rage has dusted itself down and walked away from the wreckage unhurt but wiser, harder and more focussed than ever,” he said earlier.

“This will be the ultimate challenge to take us back to where we rightfully belong. We are all about the UK fans and UK fighters.”

Cage Rage was bought out by EliteXC last year when the American company went through a phase of buying overseas promotions.

When EliteXC collapsed last week, it was speculated that the Cage Rage brand name would be buried with it.

But O’Donnell today laughed that speculation off. “All I can say is, it’s back, its British - and better than ever,” he said.

Feb 7, 2006
Patrick Cote knee injury surgery to result in lengthy recovery

Patrick Cote tore the meniscus in his right knee during the third round of his main event fight against middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., this past weekend, according to SportsNet.ca.

“The Predator” will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery to repair the damage next week and possibly be out of action for up to eight months.

The report indicates that the Canadian actually suffered the injury just four weeks out from the fight and decided to push through it and challenge “The Spider” rather than withdraw from the card, which had already been ravaged by injuries.

He took a cortisone shot to dull any discomfort prior to the showdown and all seemed to be good until Cote tweaked the knee in the second round. Cote then came out for the third round and lasted just 39 seconds — he collapsed in a heap when the meniscus finally gave way.

Referee Herb Dean waived off the action, ending perhaps one of the most bizarre title fights in recent memory. In fact, the antics of Silva before the stoppage combined with the freak injury has numerous critics nationwide lambasting the pay-per-view (PPV) event despite solid action on the main card.

It also appears to have struck a nerve with Silva who typically shows up, takes care of business in less than 10 minutes and collects fat bonus checks for his destruction. Not on Saturday night, however.

The silver lining in all of this is that the champion will likely be eager to return to the Octagon sooner rather than later having suffered no damage and wanting to redeem himself fast. Of course, the Cote injury means that there will be no rematch anytime soon — a prospect that likely would not agree with most fans at this time, anyway.

Feb 7, 2006
Bigfoot sad about the doping case

A bad week for the Brazilian fighter Antônio “Bigfoot”. The EliteXC heavyweight champion, the giant of American Top Team was surprised with the news that the event had closed the doors after the last event, and that it’s out of MMA’s market. Trying to prove his innocence at the drug test allegation, the Brazilian had an audience with the Athletic Commission, with his manager, Alex Davis, and a lawyer – but the news were not good.

After leave the audience, Bigfoot got in touch with TATAME to annunciate the result. “There was no appellation. The suspension stays. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. The Commission showed that doesn’t like MMA fighter, mainly Brazilian. Shean Sherk took nandrolone, it was proved, but they reduced his punishment, but with me they didn’t leave”, lamented the fighter. Revolted with the result, his manager insists on the innocence of the fighter.

“The commission didn’t prove Bigfoot`s fault, there are doubts, but anything proved, and then the facts pass to be unimportant, and the opinion of six or seven commissionaires, who doesn’t understand anything about chemistry, predominate. The Commission, although have not proved the facts, continue to keep the suspension”, protest Alex, who will study other solution to the athlete: ”we’ll sit down and see what we can do”. In the final decision of the Commission, Bigfoot keep impeded of fight in United States until July 26th of 2009.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction, The Media and MMA

Last week we told you about the gaff by the Affliction/ M1/ Trump media team, when a representative of the organizations asked that FoxNews.com, NBCSports.com and foreign media outlets remove their mic flags and replace them with Affliction branded mic flags.

The article received a few responses, but the one that stuck out was from No Hold Barred’s own Eddie Goldman, a combat sports journalist who has helped pioneer coverage of MMA from day one.

Email documentation provided by Goldman shows that after he RSVP’d to the intial press invitation, Jeremy Silkowitz of Swanson Communcations, representing the trio of companies responded: Unfortuntely, we will not be able to add you to the RSVP list for tomorrows event. I have received word from Trump Towers security that they were at capacity for this event prior to your name being added to the security list.”

Silkowitz also informed Goldman that a future Affliction press conference will be held in New York to announce an Affliction Entertainment fight and that there would be no space limitation.

Goldman’s response spared no expense: “Keeping me out of this event will only hurt your show by limiting coverage on the most prestigious show there is, No Holds Barred.”

Goldman also was in contact with Kelly Swanson of Swanson Communications, who insisted that it truly was a space issue that kept Goldman out of the event, held at Trump Tower.

MMAPayout has contacted both Silkowitz and Pamela Rogers, who is Affliction Entertainment’s PR representative and will bring you any relevant updates.

Sil

We will be back in New York to officially announce the next Affliction Entertainment fight, and for that event there will not be limited space. We look forward to your attendance.

May 17, 2004
i guess im the only one who wasnt impressed with anderson silva in the fight. he got a couple good shots but thats it. he didnt really engage. i guess i just expect way more out of him. at least cote was going forward pretty much the entire time.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I just rewatched the fight and I was guilty of having way too high expectations for Silva too. I mean, Machida fights that fight and he's a tactical genius, but since it's Spider everyone's trying to figure out why it went that long. I'd like to hear Anderson's take on it, but I'm not disappointed with him as much as I am the fight ended the way it did.

Feb 7, 2006
Fabrício Werdum Interview

Fabricio Werdum’s fight at UFC 90 wasn’t like the Chute Boxe athlete was expecting. Making plans to fight for the heavyweight belt, Werdum now needs to postpone more this dream, after the knockout suffered by Junior “Cigano” dos Santos at Chicago. Besides the loss, Werdum believes he’ll be back to top and revealed to TATAME he’s moving to United States. Check below the exclusive interview.

What do you think about your fight at UFC 90?
I didn’t go well to this fight, I was ready and focused, but everything happened so fast, the punch came fast and strongly. I punched him and down my head and he punched me in the same time. I twisted my knee when I fell down and opened a cut in my nose, but everything is all right. I couldn’t even feel the fight, but it’s ok, in fighting you only have two options: win or lose. Now it’s time to think in my next fight.

What do you think you did wrong in this fight?
I’ve never been knocked out or submitted in my whole life. We always have a first time, and it was my first KO. Cigano deserved that, I have to congratulate him, because he surprised me. A lot of people said he was a underdog, but I think he deserved that.

Do you think you came over confident to this fight?
He surprised me, it wasn’t to much confidence. I was with a great Muay Thai, ground game, but it all happened so fast. He deserved that, he said he respected me before the fight and I respected him and still do, confidence is a normal thing.

Do you think about a rematch?
It’s gonna be tough to UFC give me a rematch, but it they want so I’ll fight again for sure.

How this loss frustrate your plans in UFC?
When you win you go three steps forward, but when you lose you back there steps too. My goal still is the belt, this loss won’t change anything. Everything I dreamed my whole life and put as a goal I’ve accomplished, the BJJ World championship, ADCC, and now I’ll go after the UOF belt.

What are your plans now?
I’ll stay a week in Los Angeles, at my friend Marcus Vinicius Di Luccia gym, the Beverly Hills Jiu-Jitsu, and then I’ll go to Chute Boxe in Hungtinton Beach, with Rafael Cordeiro, because I wanna stay in US for two or five years with him.

So you’re moving to US?
I’m happy at Curitiba, but I’ll stay in USA to stay closer to my family, that’s the reason. I think it’ll be great for my career too, because I can get a sponsor and train with Rafael, one of the best MMA coaches. Now I live in Porto Alegre, but passed the whole week away from my wife and daughter… We now decided to move to US and I wanna bring them here too. I’ll meet Rafael, see where I’m gonna live here and then I’ll come back to Brazil for my daughters birthday, and then I’ll go to Spain to do some seminars and follow my friend “Mamute” at M-1 in Barcelona at November 8th.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
I just rewatched the fight and I was guilty of having way too high expectations for Silva too. I mean, Machida fights that fight and he's a tactical genius, but since it's Spider everyone's trying to figure out why it went that long. I'd like to hear Anderson's take on it, but I'm not disappointed with him as much as I am the fight ended the way it did.
he was gun shy, cause of cote's scary knock out power, so was picking him apart slowley, a couple of those DEVASTATING leg shots anderson landed, are why his leg gave out. A couple of the kicks, in slow motion, you saw his legs hyper extend, after forrest vs rampage, your gonna see alot more blown out acl's, Forrest also blow shogun rua's knee out.

Feb 7, 2006
'Ruthless' Free in Days, Says Manager

Former EliteXC middleweight king “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler could be a free man in a matter of days, says his manager Monte Cox.

Cox, who represents a slew of top-ranked fighters in nearly every active weight division, said the collapse of Pro Elite Inc. last Monday sent the wheels in motion to place the hard-hitting slugger with another promotion.

Under his lawyer’s recommendation, Cox filed a breach of contract notice last Wednesday with Pro Elite -- parent company to EliteXC, Icon Sport and Cage Rage -- prior to the company’s pending bankruptcy filing and the closing of its Los Angeles offices on Friday. Cox said the letter was received by Jeremy Lappen, head of fighter operations for EliteXC, and passed on to the appropriate parties.

“There’s a warranty clause in the contract that you can challenge if they have enough money to fulfill the contract,” Cox said. “Obviously, right now, they do not. I notified them of what I considered to be breach of contract and they have 30 days to respond. They have to prove they can fulfill it or we’re a free agent.”

In a contract passage obtained by Sherdog.com, the “warranty clause” stipulates that “EliteXC Live is able to perform its promotional and payment obligations arising under this Agreement or any extension thereof, and there are no legal or professional proceedings, arbitration, mediation, or litigation pending or threatened that would affect EliteXC Live or that would or could interfere with EliteXC Live’s full and complete performance.”

A second paragraph states that the fighter can give notice for breach of contract, and if “EliteXC Live fails to cure the alleged material breach within thirty (30) days of receipt of Fighter’s written notice, then Fighter may seek to terminate this Agreement or any extension thereof and seek redress for any outstanding compensation owed to Fighter hereunder.”

Last Wednesday, Pro Elite CEO Chuck Champion notified the Nevada State Athletic Commission that the company had yet to apply for bankruptcy, though the move seemed imminent.

Pro Elite’s demise has left debt of more than $55 million in its wake, at least $6.5 million of that owed to broadcasting partner Showtime, which also had a 20 percent stake in the promotion. It has been speculated that Showtime, a subsidiary of media conglomerate CBS, might attempt to collect on the unpaid loans, using the fighters contracts as collateral.

Sherdog.com has received early indication that both Showtime and CBS wish to pursue future MMA programming on their channels, but will not launch a promotion of their own to fill the void and would not be in need of the contracts themselves. With outlets like Affliction Entertainment and Strikeforce said to be under consideration for the coveted slot, lengthy asset sales auctions only slow down getting marketable fighters, which could include Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and Gina Carano, back into circulation on TV screens.

“We’ve done everything we can do,” said Cox. “Now, they may fight [the claim of breach of contract], but we can’t do anything at the moment. Right now, there’s no one at Elite to even talk to us. If I wanted to ask, there’s nobody there.”

Calls to Showtime and CBS for comment were not immediately returned.

Not one to sit by the wayside, both Cox and Lawler (16-4) attended last weekend’s UFC 90 at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill. Lawler -- who was discovered by UFC President Dana White seven years ago at an event in Hawaii -- fought for the promotion seven times between 2002-2004 and collected wins over Chris Lytle and Aaron Riley before losing to Nick Diaz by knockout and the late Evan Tanner via triangle choke.

The 26-year-old Iowa native has flourished outside the Octagon’s gates since, however, racking up two key victories in Icon Sport before gaining national exposure on two of EliteXC’s three “Saturday Night Fight” installments on CBS, which netted over 8 million viewers for Lawler’s fights alone.

But before visions of Lawler and yet-to-be-tested UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva trading leather-wrapped gifts between each other start to dance through fans’ heads, Cox said he had no talks, informal or otherwise, with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva over the weekend due to time restrictions. Though the pair have a strong working relationship, Cox is mindful that the UFC might not want to pay Lawler’s price tag, which was $100,000 for his July win over Scott Smith, not including the $80,000 Lawler received in sponsorship monies.

“Unfortunately -- and I don’t know if this is the case or not -- the UFC has tons of stars,” said Cox. “There are a lot of organizations that don’t have any stars. A guy like Lawler might be worth a lot more money to someone else other than the UFC. It’s supply and demand.”

Cox said a Japanese associate has reached out to the nation’s two upper-echelon promotions –- Fighting and Entertainment Group’s Dream and World Victory Road’s Sengoku. Stateside, Affliction Entertainment was also named as a possibility. Cox said salary numbers wouldn’t be discussed until EliteXC gets its 30 days to reply.

“Right now, it would be hard to get people to want to talk numbers anyway,” said Cox. “If I were the other groups, I’d want to wait the 30 days too.”

The hard-nosed Lawler, who took up shop with former Miletich Martial Arts teammate and two-time UFC champion Matt Hughes at his H.I.T. Squad gym in Illinois earlier this year, hasn’t voiced any preferences to where he might want to nest in the future.

“He never does that,” said Cox, who calls Lawler and Jens Pulver two of his most easy-going clients. “He called and asked ‘What’s going on? Where we going?’ I told him we we’re shopping around and he said ‘Alright.’”

Feb 7, 2006
SILVA APOLOGIZES FOR UFC 90 PERFORMANCE

Being highly regarded as the best pound for pound fighter on the planet doesn't give Anderson Silva much room for error whenever he fights because somehow the entire MMA world has questioned his performance in the win over Patrick Cote last Saturday night at UFC 90.

While many seemed to criticize Silva's performance, the champion was in complete control of the fight, landing the only real power shots of the bout.

If anything, Silva showed great composure and control to avoid an all out slugfest against a heavy handed opponent in Patrick Cote, and the 185-pound king said as much following the fight.

"I didn't come here to play. I didn't come here to put on a show. I came here to do my job," Silva stated at the UFC 90 post fight press conference. "I didn't become a champion and defend my title as many times as I have not doing my job or playing round. So, I hope everybody understands that. And I hope all my future opponents understand that. I'm not here to play. I'm here to win."

Following the lead of teammate and training partner Lyoto Machida, Silva used a counter striking clinic against Cote, but unfortunately for the duration of the two full rounds that happened in the fight, the Canadian played much of the same gameplan.

Regardless of the result, Silva's strategy worked as Cote never connected with any heavy shots, but the overall action was lacking throughout the contest.

"I came in here. I did my job. My strategy was working," Silva stated. "Patrick couldn't find me. And it's unfortunate that his knee went out."

The end of the fight could not have been predicted, as previously mentioned, Cote's knee buckled in the third round causing the fight to be stopped and Silva was declared the winner.

Despite picking up his eighth victory in the UFC, Silva still stayed humble and apologized to the Chicago crowd who did not get the performance out of the champion that they were hoping for.

"I apologized because I've trained really hard with my trainers for five rounds," said Silva. "I dropped down from 230 pounds to 205 pounds to 185 pounds. So, I worked my butt off. I had a long training camp to prepare myself for this fight. So I really feel like I owe everyone an apology for this fight. I owe you guys an apology; I owe the fans an apology and Dana (White).

As for a rematch between Silva and Cote, that remains to be seen. It's possible that Cote could be out for an extended period of time with the knee injury and Silva has been rumored to move back to 205 pounds for his next contest.

Feb 7, 2006
BISPING TALKS ULTIMATE FIGHTER 9 COACHING ROLE

Michael "The Count" Bisping won season three of The Ultimate Fighter and will coach season nine of the popular reality show on Spike TV. Armed with the experience of having gone through it, Bisping is excited about his role as coach.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to be involved with TUF again," Bisping told MMAWeekly.com. "I think it's a great tool for the UFC to discover new talent. Obviously, for my career, it was amazing. I've got some very, very fond memories and I can't wait to get involved with it again."

Season nine will feature a United States vs. the United Kingdom theme consisting of lightweight and welterweight fighters.

"As far as the talent in the U.K., there's a lot of great talent," said Bisping. "I've seen a lot of people on the Internet saying things like England couldn't compete with a team from America. I don't see that as the case at all. I think we've got some fantastic talent."

Bisping feels he'll be able to relate to the unique situation of living in The Ultimate Fighter House having been there himself. And that he'll be able to draw on that experience to benefit the fighters on his team.

"I've been there myself, so I'll know some of the feelings they're going through," stated the British middleweight. "One of the main things I will tell them is what Dana (White) used to tell all of us, my season and every season. It really is the opportunity to change your life. Until you live it, you don't realize how serious it is. It really does change your life. That's one thing I'm going to implement to the people on there. Listen, this is your shot."

While Bisping has been announced as the coach for the U.K. team, current rumors place the winner of the upcoming UFC 93 fight between Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson slated for Jan. 17 as the other coach.

Feb 7, 2006
New Machida interview about Thiago Silva fight

Portuguese to English translation:

Question: What do you think about Thiago Silva's game?

Lyoto: He is a complete fighter, he can fight very well standing, he has good takedowns and a strong ground game, but as he can, I can either do very well the 3 elements of the fight (wrestling, striking and grappling), so I believe it's gonna be a very competitive and disputed fight.

Question: How do you want to finish the fight: KO, submission or decision?

Lyoto: I always want to finish the fight before the end, no matter if by KO or submission, but this is a competition and a lot of stuff gets involved. Anyway, I always look for a finish and the result is an outcome of the fight's strategy.

Question: Who is training/preparing you for this fight?

Lyoto: My preparation is being done here in my family's academy with my father and brother (Shinzô Machida) and my training partners, and I'm not gonna change anything, my trainings keep going and we will see how this fight is gonna end.

Question: What's your gameplan for this fight?

Lyoto: My gameplan for this fight is always the same: beat without getting beated finishing as the winner. This is always my stragegy and I'll put on my game.

Feb 7, 2006
"WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown" fight card finalized

The fight card for "WEC 36: Brown vs. Faber," an event originally scheduled for Sept. 10 but postponed due to Hurricane Ike, has been finalized.

The WEC confirmed the Nov. 5 card, which features a main event between WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber (21-1) and challenger Mike Brown (19-4), today.

The event takes place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla., and airs live on Versus.

In addition to the Faber vs. Brown title fight, WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho (16-0) returns from an extended layoff for a rematch with Chael Sonnen (20-9-1). The two fighters first met in December 2007 at WEC 31, where Filho picked up his 16th consecutive victory. However, Sonnen, who dished out a considerable amount of damage, claimed he never intended to submit from Filho's arm-bar submission (despite an audible grunt of pain) with just five seconds remaining in the second round.

The Filho-Sonnen bout will be the final middleweight title fight in the WEC. The division, as well as the light-heavyweight class, will be folded into the UFC by year's end.

In a key featherweight bout, former top contender Jens Pulver (22-9-1) meets title hopeful and fellow UFC veteran Leonard Garcia (11-3).

The full card includes:

MAIN CARD

Champ Urijah Faber vs. Mike Brown (for featherweight title)
Champ Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)
Leonard Garcia vs. Jens Pulver
Nissen Osterneck vs. Jake Rosholt
Donald Cerrone vs. Rob McCullough
PRELIMINARY CARD

David Avellan vs. Aaron Simpson
Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Brookins
Steve Steinbeiss vs. Alex Schoenauer
Danny Castillo vs. Ed Ratcliff
Yoshiro Maeda vs. Rani Yayha

Feb 7, 2006
Randy Couture says size won't matter with Brock Lesnar at UFC 91

The belief of many MMA experts leading up to Randy Couture's comeback fight against Tim Sylvia in March of 2007 was that "The Natural," gifted as he was, just couldn't overcome Sylvia's massive size advantage.

Couture was giving up six inches in height and some 40 pounds in weight, along with 13 years in age, in fighting for the first time in more than a year. At the time, the analysis made sense. After all, Couture's difficulty in sizing up against super-sized heavyweights in losses to Ricco Rodriguez and Josh Barnett helped convince Couture to move to light heavyweight to extend his career.

However, Couture used the time away from mixed martial arts to reinvent himself and retool his game -- an over-40 renaissance that landed him on top 10 pound-for-pound lists after scintillating victories over Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga.

Some 18 months later, after dispatching Sylvia in one of the most dominant performances of his career, Couture is hearing the same song, only a different verse.

When Couture faces Brock Lesnar in the main event of UFC 91 on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas, the 45-year-old Couture will once again be the smaller man in the octagon. While he'll be able to look the former WWE star in the eye, Couture will likely give away more than 45 pounds.

It's a scenario that Couture has attempted to simulate in his preparation for the fight.

"I brought Josh Hendricks in. He's actually fighting on the same card against Gabe Gonzaga," Couture told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He's a 245-pound guy with a wrestling background -- a collegiate wrestler at Oklahoma State, my alma mater. I've got guys like Mike Whitehead and a bunch other guys that walk around 240, 250 with good, solid wrestling backgrounds. ... We've got a good crew. They're pushing me and ganging up on me. It's hard to find guys like Brock that are that size and move the way he moves."

Lesnar represents an entirely different challenge for Couture than the one posed by Sylvia. Lesnar is quick and athletic. He also has wrestling skills on par with Couture's. Sylvia had none of those attributes, and Couture took full advantage by initiating the striking with Sylvia, getting him to the ground in the first round and completely baffling and frustrating the champion. Couture expects to draw up a similar plan for Lesnar.

"The more I can make a big guy like that move and make him work, and threaten to take him down ... just because he's 270 pounds doesn't mean I can't take him down. I've taken down bigger guys," Couture said. "So, I can create that threat and that fear in his mind that he's going to end up on the bottom, which is someplace he's not used to being. Those are things that I can focus on, and use speed and mobility and those things as advantages for me."

While the match-up with Lesnar isn't the one Couture -- or many fans -- coveted during his rift with the UFC, Couture's desire to get back in the cage outweighed his craving to tangle with Fedor Emelianenko.

"You have to keep things in perspective," Couture said. "At 45 years old, the window is closing all the time, and that's a realistic view. I'm the best fighter I've been right now, and I need to use these tools while they're still here."