MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Nakamura wants to KO Sasaki with right hook

Kazuhiro Nakamura invited the press to his training at J-ROCK workout studio on Oct 27. After the training, he answered questions.
" I was very concerned weather I could make 83 kg or not last time. I'm doing fine losing weights this time. I had only a month to prepare for this fight. Although, I couldn't concentrate on training mentally, and it took a while to motivate myself to prepare for this fight. "

" I didn't have enough time to gain new techniques; therefore, I'm practicing how to give my full ability efficiently."

" I would like to KO him by my right hook. "

Feb 7, 2006
Liddell: ‘I Just Want to Fight’
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Liddell-I-Just-Want-to-Fight-1801
It was a stunning sight to see Chuck Liddell lying unconscious in the Octagon.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion had made a career of knocking out opponents, but he was the one beaten in September after Rashad Evans had connected with an overhand right in the second round of their bout at UFC 88.

The loss marked the third defeat in the last four fights for the future Hall-of-Famer. Much of the criticism following the Evans bout, however, was aimed at Liddell’s longtime trainer, John Hackleman.

In a recent video interview with Sherdog.com, Liddell defended Hackleman and took the blame for the loss.

“We had a good game plan,” Liddell said, “and I got overzealous. … [Hackleman] told me before we went out for the second [round]: ‘Don’t chase him. Just take your time. Make him come to you.’ I didn’t listen. How are you going to blame him when I’m not listening?”

Liddell, who will turn 39 in December, acknowledged that he has some bad habits that must be worked on. He also discussed with Sherdog.com whether there is a blueprint for beating him that his opponents are following as well as whether another title shot is still realistic.

Feb 7, 2006
Nate Diaz unlikely to fight until 2009, UFC 94 return possible

"The Ultimate Fighter 5" winner and rising lightweight contender Nate Diaz (10-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will not fight at the Dec. 10 UFC Fight Night 16 event as was first expected, and instead, will likely sit out of competition until early 2009.

The news comes from GracieFighter.com, the official website for Cesar Gracie's fight team.

According to the report, Diaz was tentatively scheduled to meet veteran lightweight Clay Guida at the December event, but a foot injury sidelined Guida and has now put Diaz on the shelf.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) spoke to Guida during an Oct. 10 ShoXC event in Hammond, Ind. Guida, who was there to corner main-card fighter and brother Jason Guida, was wearing a walking boot at the time but declined to comment on the status and nature of the injury.

"With every viable UFC contender having already been paired for fights in the next couple of months, it became clear that Diaz would not have an opponent ready for the rest of 2008," the GracieFighter.com report stated. "Nothing has been signed as of yet. However, we are hoping to see Nathan fight early in 2009 possibly on the same card as [Georges St. Pierre] vs. (B.J.) Penn in Las Vegas."

That event, UFC 94, takes place Jan. 31 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Diaz, 23, entered the fifth season of "TUF" as a favorite and didn't disappoint. Since cruising to the live finale, where he defeated runner-up Manny Gamburyan (due to a shoulder injury), Diaz has pushed his UFC win streak to five straight. Diaz posted four consecutive submission victories before defeating veteran Josh Neer via split decision in the main event of September's UFC Fight Night 15 event.

Feb 7, 2006
"Cro Cop" says Alistair Overeem rematch set for K-1 DYNAMITE!! 2008

After struggling against Alistair Overeem (28-11) at the Sept. 26 DREAM 6 event -- only to be saved by a no-contest after being struck with a fight-ending knee to the groin -- former PRIDE and UFC fighter Mirko "Cro Cop" (23-6-2) says the rematch is set for Dec. 31 in Japan.

Filipovic confirmed the rumored K-1 DYNAMITE!! 2008 bout with Croatian site dnevnik.hr.

Filipovic also confirmed that he'll enter the fight with a knee injury and will undergo surgery soon after the event, which is scheduled to feature five MMA bouts and five K1 kickboxing matches.

The event takes place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

In their first meeting in September, Overeem connected with early knees from the clinch and easy takedowns. He then tagged Filipovic and caused a cut near his left eye, but it was checked and hw was cleared to continue.

In subsequent exchanges, though, Filipovic was caught with two knees to the groin. Overeem was issued a warning, and after the second, Overeem was issued his second yellow card of the fight.

During a lengthy recovery time, Filipovic's corner alerted Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten, who were calling the action for HDNet, that Filipovic's right testicle had been knocked up and inside his body. For a full 10 minutes, the fighter lay on the mat while grimacing in obviously agonizing pain. Eventually, the pain was too much, and the fight was ruled a no-contest.

"I'm sorry this great fight had to end this way," Overeem said after the fight. "It was a mistake to make early in the fight. I wanted to finish the fight with Cro Cop with a KO or submission in a fair way."

Since signing with the UFC in late 2006 and debuting with a first-round TKO of Eddie Sanchez in February 2007, Filipovic is 1-2 (with one no-contest), which included a knockout loss to Gabriel Gonzaga and a unanimous-decision defeat to Cheick Kongo. His lone victory was over little-known Tatsuya Mizuno (4-4) at DREAM 1 after Filipovic left the UFC.

Overeem, meanwhile, has rebounded from a three-fight losing streak in early 2007 with a 4-1 record (with one no-contest) in his past six fights. In November 2007, he defeated Paul Buentello with a second-round submission via strikes to win the first-ever Strikeforce world heavyweight championship.

Feb 7, 2006
Pulver Talks About Leaving the Miletich Nest

Jens "Little Evil" Pulver is the latest of the original Miletich Fighting Systems crew to leave the revered gym for a different perspective.

In preparation for his fight with Leonard Garcia at WEC 36, Pulver moved to Kirkland, Washington to train with Matt Hume at AMC Pankration.

Pulver spent his early years in Maple Valley, Washington, just outside of Seattle.

Pulver described the change during a media teleconference on Tuesday for the Nov. 5 show in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

"Spencer Fisher was like you gotta go out here, you gotta do this," Pulver told reporters. "My wife, she's like, 'hit the road, you gotta go train.' It's time to get out of here."

Pulver had trained with Pat Miletich and the boys of Bettendorf, Iowa for the better part of eight years, beginning in 2000. At his apex, Pulver put the first-ever UFC lightweight championship on the Miletich mantle.

But Pulver needed a change, and hearing Fisher's glowing recommendation sealed the deal. Hume had cornered more than a few of Pulver's opponents, and Pulver was tired of always seeing him in the opposite corner

"All these years, he's always broke me down for other people," he said. "And I'm like, here, help me this time. Stop always trying to find my weaknesses. Let's switch that up.

"Rolling with him one day, it was terrible. he just broke the donkey, dude. He just killed me."

Pulver says he's back in school, learning for the first time in a long time.

"All I've got is a bedroom, time, and a place to train," he said. "That's it. It's changed everything. Matt Hume's got amateurs out here that dish me the biggest beating of my life."

Before the move, Pulver spoke to his coach about the choice.

"He had to ask me at one point, 'Are you going out to Hume?'" Pulver said. "I'm like, yeah, I need a change. Plus I haven't been home in about twelve years. He knew. It wasn't like he was my father, we're grown adults. I just needed a change."

Miletich was a father of sorts to Pulver, but eventually, kids have to leave the nest. Fellow Miletich originals Matt Hughes, and Robbie Lawler left the camp earlier this year to form their own gym, HIT Squad, in Illinois. Results have been mixed. But Pulver will certainly know whether change is good when he meets Garcia on Nov. 5.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC ADDS VIDEO ON DEMAND WITH VERIZON DEAL

Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, on Wednesday announced it has launched into the video on demand (VOD) spectrum of entertainment with Verizon FiOS TV.

“As UFC continues to thrive in sports, we constantly look for new ways to deliver the UFC experience to our loyal fans around the world,” said Dana White, UFC President. “The VOD program will provide more information on the UFC, training techniques, and some of the greatest fights in history available 24/7 through UFC On Demand.”

“Verizon’s FiOS TV customers are getting the ultimate entertainment experience with our industry-leading video-on-demand library,” said Terry Denson, vice president – FiOS TV content and programming. “And now our FiOS TV customers have access to all of the best ultimate fighting action from UFC, available at any time.”

UFC On Demand is a unique and innovative VOD program designed to educate new and casual fans about the sport, while giving hardcore fans access to more UFC content. The service consists of a triple-tiered offering of three distinct services, with UFC Free Zone, UFC Fight Zone, and UFC Event Zone:

UFC Free Zone is an on-demand free service offering informative and entertaining short features on mixed martial arts rules, fighting disciplines, styles and techniques. The highly popular Countdown UFC shows and UFC event previews are also available via UFC Free Zone.

UFC Fight Zone offers single UFC library fights in their entirety, at $2.99 per fight with a 24-hour viewing period. UFC Fight Zone features fighters who will be competing in an upcoming UFC pay-per-view event, offering fans the opportunity to see these champions and challengers in some of their most legendary fights and prior matchups.

UFC Event Zone offers full UFC events and specials, starting at $4.99 per title for a 24-hour viewing period. Offerings include recent UFC pay-per-view events that feature fighters who will be competing in an upcoming UFC event, as well as the original and rarely seen “UFC Classics” from 1993-1998, along with UFC’s hottest selling full-length DVDs, UFC compilation specials and video-on-demand replays of current pay-per-view events.

For scheduling and programming information, UFC fans can visit ufcondemand.com. Verizon’s FiOS TV customers will have access to all three UFC On Demand folders, available in the VOD library under “All Movies and Events.” Customers can simply press the “On Demand” button on the remote control to access the on-demand content.

FiOS TV is currently available to more than 8.2 million homes in 14 states: California, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

Feb 7, 2006
Scott Smith offers a fighter’s perspective on the fall of EliteXC

Former EliteXC middleweight contender Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith was set to face Cuban Judo Olympian Hector “Shango” Lombard at Elite XC “Night of Champions” on November 8 live on Showtime from the Reno Events Center in Reno, Nevada.

It was supposed to be the last event for Elite XC in 2008 … and it was shaping up to be perhaps the promotion’s best offering to date. Two world title fights were on the line, including a 185-pound showdown between division champion Robbie Lawler and Joey Villasenor and a 160-pound dream match up between Nick Diaz and Eddie Alvarez for the vacant lightweight crown.

Smith had trained hard and was prepared to make the most of the opportunity, until a late night phone call changed his career forever.

“I was hearing rumors and I actually got a call from a guy that works for the UFC and he was like ‘Hey, what’s going on?’ and I was like I don’t know, you probably know more than I do. Then my manager called and said it was pretty much a done deal.”

Little more than two weeks after its biggest star, Kimbo Slice, lost in just 14 seconds to replacement journeyman Seth Petruzelli in front of 4.5 million people on CBS, Elite XC was forced to close its doors forever.

“When I saw Kimbo lose (to Seth Petruzelli) I thought oh this isn’t good for EliteXC, they’ve got all their eggs in one basket. Then when I saw the controversy I knew it was just a matter of time at that point. We were kind of hoping for the November card just to get one last payday but everybody knew it was inevitable, it was just a matter of when.”

That payday was one that not only Smith, but hundreds of other EliteXC employees were probably counting on. What made it even more difficult for Smith was the timing of the collapse. The closer he got to ‘Night of Champions,’ the more hopeful he became about the event still taking place.

“I’ve been in camp for over eight weeks and I’ve been pushing myself hard. It’s one thing if [it happens] two months out from a fight, but two weeks? It’s devastating. Even if I lost, worst case scenario, (including sponsorship money) I would still be out close to $40,000. Until all the paperwork and everything is done I’m not going to be cleared to fight somewhere else before the end of the year. It’s close to the holidays, I got a mortgage to pay, I’ve got two kids, it’s tough.”

The company dug a deep $60 million hole of which it was never able to climb out. Obviously, no money — investors who were supposed to keep the company alive at least until the end of the year never materialized — equals no events, especially when there’s not even a pay-per-view (PPV) deal to fall back on.

“It was purely financial.” Smith explains. “They had to have funding by a certain time, I believe it was Sunday or Monday night. If they didn’t get that funding the next day they were filing for bankruptcy. Everybody pretty much knew they weren’t going to get the funding. Supposedly CBS backed out because of the controversy with the [Petruzelli] fight, they were going to buy the company, but I personally think it was because of the whole Kimbo thing. He’s not nearly as marketable now that he got exposed. I think they’re using the controversy as an excuse. I talked to Showtime and they invested too much money in EliteXC and they had to draw the line and this was the line and they couldn’t put another penny into it.”

In the end, the talent was there near the top … it just wasn’t enough to compensate for all the other shortcomings and struggles that upstart mixed martial arts promotions face attempting to get off the ground.

Especially one that builds a promotion around a fighter that has never been tested against real competition - something that Smith believes was their downfall from the beginning.

“[Kimbo] was getting a lot of attention. He was definitely worth fighting and putting on cards and promoting, but they were getting too much away from the Robbie Lawlers and the Jake Shields of the company and just focusing too much on Kimbo. I’ve remained friends with a lot of people from the UFC and they were really upset about [the Kimbo push] calling it a joke. All I can do is support the company I’m working for and hope for the best. I do like Kimbo as a person, he’s a great guy. I have no problem with them promoting Kimbo and building him up because he does have potential to be a great fighter but it was [too much, too soon].”

For a company that was plagued with rumors of poor decision making and gross mishandling by its executives, Smith defends the EliteXC management’s handling of the fiasco, specifically by Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen.

“Jeremy Lappen actually called me last night. He was very professional, very nice. He apologized for having to cancel the card and I kind of felt bad for the guy, that’s a tough phone call to make. (Lappen) said they even offered for upper management not to get a paycheck for this fight to try to make (the November card) happen. I consider Jeremy a friend and I really appreciated that phone call, it was very professional of him.”

Despite the financial loss, the sudden end and subsequent unemployment hasn’t soured Smith on his experience under the Pro Elite banner. In fact, Smith considers his tenure with EliteXC to be one of the best of his career.

“I’m happy I did it. Everybody from EliteXC treated me great, they took care of me, they paid me well - better than what I was getting at the UFC. I got great exposure, gained some great sponsorship including Affliction which I would have never gotten had I stayed in the UFC. Even how things turned out, I would do the same thing again. I made more money in 2008 then I made - ever.”

With the experience behind him, Smith must now concentrate on an uncertain future. While he has been approached by smaller organizations who are interested in his services, Smith still has to wait for the paperwork to be sorted out.

In the interim, he’s optimistic that one of the bigger promotions will be ready and waiting for him when that time finally comes.

“The hard thing is I just don’t know what’s going to happen. All I can do is keep training. And if I’ve ever said anything bad about Strikeforce or the UFC or Affliction, I take it all back. I love all those guys!”

Feb 7, 2006
WEC Quick Quote: Leonard Garcia wants Jens Pulver to throw in the towel

Jens] reaction time is a little slower than it used to be. I’m a little younger, a little quicker and a little stronger. My goal in this fight is to break him mentally. I don’t care about knocking him out, I don’t care about submitting him - my perfect night is him turning to the referee and telling him he doesn’t want to fight anymore.

Feb 7, 2006
Rudimar Fedrigo and the EliteXC’s end

EliteXC’s end left many athletes unemployed. In Chute Boxe, Cris Cyborg, Marlon Mathias and Fernando Bettega are looking for a new event to fight. Leader of the team in Curitiba, Rudimar Fedrigo spoke with exclusiveness with TATAME about the failure of EliteXC. “It’s a very sad notice, the failure of EliteXC, because it’s important have others events to make counterpoint and not the domination of only one event, that’s the reason why we’re sad. I’m surprised with this news, although the event hadn’t gone well… We’re going now try to put the athletes who were fighting there in others organizations. We already have others organizations interested in the athletes and, mainly, in this fight that everybody wants to watch, between Cris “Cyborg” Santos and Gina Carano. Certainly some organization will want this fight. But we’ll have to wait more to see how it’ll stay”, finished.

Feb 7, 2006
Cyborg’s recovery

On September 28th, Evangelista Cyborg entered to ring at Sengoku in Tokyo to face Siyar Bahadurzada. At 22 seconds of the first round, the Brazilian fell on his arm while stuffing a takedown. There was nothing more to be done, Cyborg was injured and his opponent left with his arm raised.

Today a month has passed since the Brazilian’s injury. GRACIEMAG.com hunted down the Chute Boxe fighter to find out how his recovery has been going.

“Thank God I won’t have to go under the knife. I just had an MRI, a few days ago, and I’m recovering well. I believe I’ll be ok again in January. I’ll start training again in about two weeks. I started physiotherapy on Monday. I want to be active again. In January I’ll be competing again,” stated Cyborg, who will be cleared for light training on November 17th.

Feb 7, 2006
Lesnar is 'major threat', says Couture

Brock Lesnar may have just two UFC bouts under his belt, but heavyweight champion Randy Couture is not underestimating the challenge that he poses.

Speaking to Fighters Only Magazine this week, Couture said sheer size and athletic ability are Lesnar’s key assets.

“He is still fairly new to the sport, but his physical tools make him a major threat, particularly his quickness for a man his size,” he said.

And he revealed that, in addition to “intensive” strength and conditioning work, he has spent “hours on the mat with 250 to 300 pound opponents to acclimate myself to moving around such a large body”.

“Come fight night, I will be ready to take the fight to Brock for five straight rounds.”

Couture will face Lesnar in the headline bout of UFC 91, which takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada on November 15th.

Feb 7, 2006
I dotn watch any UFC or any MMA shit...but i will watch Lesnar/Coture...im eager to see Lesnar fight someone that can really challenge him.
You should watch MMA it's a really good combat sport with very many different fighters from many countries around the world. Lesnar Couture will be interesting especially since this will be lesnars fourth fight.

Feb 7, 2006
PALASZEWSKI VS KARALEXIS IN WEC 37 ON DEC. 3

As World Extreme Cagefighting gets ready to close out 2008 with its Dec. 3 show in Las Vegas, MMAWeekly.com has confirmed that Bart Palaszewski is set to make his promotional debut against former “Ultimate Fighter” season 1 cast member Alex Karalexis.

The fight was confirmed by sources close to the situation.

Palaszewski makes his move to the WEC after spending the last couple of years fighting for the now defunct International Fight League, amassing a record of 8-4 with the promotion, 29-11 overall. By the time of the fighter, it will have been nearly six months since he last saw action, defeating UFC veteran Jeff Cox by TKO at the inaugural Adrenaline MMA event.

His opponent, Alex Karalexis, has not competed since December of 2007 in a fight that he lost to Ed Ratcliff by TKO. He is a UFC and WEC veteran riding a four-fight win streak before being derailed by Ratcliff.

The main event for the WEC 37 card will feature bantamweight champion Miguel Torres defending his title against Manny Tapia.

Feb 7, 2006
CURRAN OUT OF BANTAMWEIGHT DEBUT AT WEC 37

Jeff Curran, who is currently ranked at No. 7 in the featherweight division by MMAWeekly.com, had been planning move to bantamweight on Dec. 3 at WEC 37 in Las Vegas.

Sometimes the best-laid plans go awry, however, as have Curran's. Walking around UFC 90 in Chicago this past weekend with his hand bandaged, a source close to the fighter's camp has confirmed that Curran's injured hand has forced him to withdraw from his planned 135-pound debut.

He will now sit out the rest of 2008, looking to bounce back as soon as possible in 2009.

Always a small lightweight fighter, where Curran had to spend much of his career due to the economics of the fight game, he signed with the WEC where the focus has been on the lighter weight classes. He immediately emerged as a contender to current 145-pound champion Urijah Faber, but lost to him and a subsequent bout to Mike Brown, who faces Faber on Nov. 5.

Rumors had circulated pitting Curran against Chase Beebe on Dec. 3, but that fight is obviously off the table now.

Curran was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

Feb 7, 2006
Chase Beebe to Japan

MMAInsider has learned that former World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight champion Chase Beebe is weighing offers from Japanese promotions Dream and Sengoku.

The wrestling standout won the title at WEC 26 in the revamped organization, but lost it on his second defense to Miguel Torres at WEC 32. In his last appearance, Beebe dropped a split decision to Will Ribeiro at WEC 34.

Beebe was due to face Jeff Curran at WEC 37 on Dec. 3, but Curran had to pull out due to a broken right hand, and Beebe's Japanese offers were already on the table.

"The Dream contract they offered me was pretty sweet," Beebe said.

Beebe wants to fight around December, but said the K1 Dynamite! New Year's Eve card was not on the table. In that respect, Sengoku was a closer fit, with an event featuring a lightweight Grand Prix scheduled for Jan. 4.

Beebe says a decision will be made in the upcoming weeks.

Feb 7, 2006
Gilbert Melendez Returning to Strikeforce in January

Former Strikeforce Lightweight champion, Gilbert Melendez, has had a rough go of it lately. Melendez began his career with a very impressive 13-0 record but has lost two out of his last three fights, which includes a loss to Josh Thomson this past June which cost him his title.
Melendez admits that he hasn’t gone all out in training as he should’ve, telling MMANews, “I feel like I trained harder in the past and it showed in there.”

The former champion only has one fight left under his current Strikeforce contract, and he’s looking to make it an impressive one as he considers moving onto bigger things. “I will do this next fight and see where I am at, after that I will weigh out my options from there.” Melendez continued.

There’s no doubt that Melendez belongs with the best Lightweights in the world, but he knows that its up to him and nobody else. Melendez is anxious for his next fight which will probably take place sometime in January according to him, “I am going to take my time and I believe I will be fighting in January for Strikeforce.” Melendez confirmed.

Feb 7, 2006
"K-Taro,” Osawa, Urushitani, Monma on tap for Cage Force

Before its Cage Force bantamweight and featherweight tournaments wrap up in December, Greatest Common Multiple will head back to its familiar digs at Differ Ariake in Tokyo with one of its EX-Eastern Bound events, and a sterling line-up will be in tow.

The Nov. 8 card, which will follow the Valkyrie promotion debut in the afternoon, will feature several of Wajyutsu Keisyukai’s bigger names, as Keita "K-Taro" Nakamura, Kenji Osawa, Hidetaka Monma and Yasuhiro Urushitani will all be in action.

While Nakamura’s opponent has not been announced, Monma and Urushitani will see soft touches. Monma -- who was brutally punched out by Hayato “Mach” Sakurai at Dream’s debut event in March -- will take on the debuting Andre “Napao” Mafetoni, the cousin of stalwart heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga. Urushitani, who was shockingly submitted by Yuki Shoujou in the Shooto ring in September, will meet Kiyotaka Shimizu.

Osawa, owner of just one win in his last five fights and coming off of a unanimous decision loss to Scott Jorgensen in the WEC in August, will meet scrappy Deep regular Tomoya Miyashita, who has been beaten just once over his last 14 bouts.

The show was originally set to feature a Cage Force bantamweight tournament semi-final between Takeya Mizugaki and Taiyo Nakahara, which was postponed from the Sept. 27 card after Nakahara sustained an undisclosed injury in training. However, Nakahara will not be healthy enough to compete Nov. 8. As a result, Mizugaki will receive a walkover into the December final against Masahiro Oishi.

Feb 7, 2006
Hioki sets sights on Sato at Shooto ‘Tradition 4’

After a nightmarish 2007 campaign, Hatsu Hioki has rebuilt himself over the course of 2008 and will have the chance to end the year with a bang. The young featherweight will finally meet up with Shooto icon Rumina Sato at Sustain's Shooto “Tradition 4” card on Nov. 29 at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo.

Hioki sustained heartbreaking losses to Antonio Carvalho and largely unknown Jong Man Kim in 2007 but is undefeated over his last five bouts, four of them in 2008. His latest victory was a first-round submission of rugged Quebecer Thierry Quenneville on Oct. 3. Sato, Shooto's tragic hero, has lost four of his last five, having been choked out by former Shooto world champion Akitoshi Tamura in a crackling bout this past May.

Sato's May meeting with Tamura was originally scheduled to be against Hioki, but the lanky Nagoyan was unable to recover from a nagging knee tweak after his March thumping of Baret Yoshida.

Sustain has also announced a 115-pound bout between “ATCH Anarchy” Atsushi Takeuchi and Katsuya Murofushi for the bill. Takeuchi has lost three straight, including a split decision to Murofushi's younger brother, Shinya, in September 2007. Both fighters are coming off losses to Noboru “Shinpei” Tahara, who stopped Murofushi on a cut in May and armbarred Takeuchi just six weeks later.

The pair of bouts joins the already announced card, featuring the 143-pound world title fight between champion Hideki Kadowaki and former titleholder "Lion Takeshi" Takeshi Inoue. Bouts pairing Hiromasa Ogikubo with So Tazawa and Jin Kazeta with Yutaka Ueda are also on tap. In addition, Shooto world 154-pound champion Takashi Nakakura will compete against a yet-to-be-named opponent in a non-title affair.