MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
André "Dida" back on fighting... but in 2009

With only one fight in 2008, when he lost to Eddie Alvarez at Dream’s GP, Andre “Dida” Amade was contacted to face Buakaw Por. Pramuk at K-1 World Max, but an injured toe scrapped him of the event. “I was going to fight Buakaw at K-1, but I broke a toe and couldn’t fight. I was at Canada, and they spoke with me close to the fight”, said Dida, who now trains in Canada. “They called me and offered to teach Muay Thai at a Canadian gym, and I accepted. My brother will teach MMA and I’ll do the Muay Thai classes. This gym is associated to Saulo Ribeiro’s gym and we do our ground training with Jorge Brito… It’s great”, said the athlete. “I use my time to do some hard training, because it’s the time to make the difference. On my last two I’ve lost because of the ground game, so now I’ll work more this part”, said Amade, who plans fighting in some BJJ championships in Canada. “I wanna be in one of Saulo’s tournaments that he does here in Canada. I wanna get the best of BJJ, and I’m sure that I’m with the best of the world in the ground game”, guarantees. Maurício Shogun’s partner at Universidade da Luta, Dida made his bets to the UFC 93 bout between the Brazilian fighter and Mark Coleman. “It won’t go through the first round for sure. It’ll be a great fight, Shogun is training really hard for that in Brazil and getting ready to do a one round fight”, revealed the athlete.

Feb 7, 2006
After Losing Election, Osterneck Unbeaten In The Cage

The “rich kid.” The “white boy.” The alcoholic. The failed politician.

Nissan Osterneck has worn each of those labels, whether he liked it or not. Now, determined to make a name for himself in the mold of an Arnold Schwarzenegger or Jesse Ventura, the reformed wild child is steeling himself for the greatest challenge of his professional life – a showdown with former three-time NCAA wrestling champion Jake Rosholt.

“I just know he’s a decorated wrestler,” Osterneck said of Rosholt, another unbeaten middleweight who boasts a 4-0 record compared to Osterneck’s 5-0 mark. “He’ll probably be strong. My wrestling is decent, but it’s a fight, it’s not a wrestling match. So if he pins me I’m not going to lose. He may be a better wrestler than I am but he’s definitely not a better fighter than I am.”

Osterneck, 28, trains Muay Thai under the tutelage of Maurice Travis and holds a purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Relson Gracie. One of Rosholt’s trainers happens to be Marc Laimon, who in the past has criticized Rorion Gracie’s abilities as a teacher and also publicly disparaged the jiu jitsu skills of MMA pioneer Royce Gracie (during a media interview Laimon once called Royce’s jiu-jitsu “sh--“ and estimated the legend was “maybe like a good blue belt, maybe a purple belt.”). Given the lingering bad blood between Laimon and members of the Gracie family, does Osterneck feel any extra motivation to beat Rosholt?

“I don’t put any thought into it,” said Osterneck, adding he doesn’t yet know whether Relson Gracie will be in his corner for the fight. “I’m sure the guys in my corner and his corner will think of it. But my job is to focus on my training and continue to do my best.”

While he isn’t buying into any Gracie versus Laimon subplot hype, Osterneck, who lives in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina most of the year, is eager to represent the southern state’s largely unheralded MMA scene.

“I’m definitely carrying the torch for South Carolina,” Osterneck said. “MMA is not sanctioned here yet, we can’t have fights here. In South Carolina there’s really nobody. Maurice is from Myrtle Beach and he’s a former Muay Thai world champion. He’s fought like 70 pro kickboxing matches across the world and I was lucky enough to meet him. Without him I wouldn’t have developed. He has world-class Thai-training skills. There’s not a hotbed of fighters here in South Carolina, but we have some good, strong warriors that both of us are turning out. I teach the jiu-jitsu and MMA class and Maurice does his Muay Thai and MMA class and we’ve got some good fighters that are coming up. I think that when MMA comes to town (and becomes sanctioned), which should be some time next year, a lot more guys here will start training.”

Unlike many fighters, Osterneck has not had to juggle a full-time job with his MMA training. As the son of a wealthy businessman, Osterneck has worked in commercial real estate, owns his house and numerous properties. He works when he wants to. He earned a college degree in business administration from Coastal Carolina University and is well-connected to elite movers and shakers in Myrtle Beach and Maui, Hawaii, where he was raised and grew up surfing, diving and playing golf.

“I didn’t have any tragedy. I was born into like a perfect scenario. I lived in paradise with loving parents,” he said. “My family has definitely given me the opportunity to do whatever I put my mind to. My mother won’t watch any of my fights, but my father is supportive. He sees how hard I train and he’s behind me on it. I’ve been fortunate with a good family upbringing and coming from a well-off family. They have helped me achieve the goal I have put in front of myself because I don’t have to worry and live a paycheck-to-paycheck kind of lifestyle.”

Osterneck very nearly became a politician about three years ago after hosting an annual Fourth of July bash at his house. Through the grapevine he heard that the city’s mayor had taken note of the mega-shindig.

“It’s kind of funny how I decided to do that,” Osterneck said of the incident that jumpstarted his political ambitions. “I’m someone who has done a lot of different things so wherever I live everybody knows me just because of all the different ventures I’m in. I know all the professionals in Myrtle Beach and I heard that he (the mayor) was at a cocktail party making comments about me and the party that I had, which is the best party of the year, there’s like a thousand to 2,000 people who come and we have a live band to celebrate our country’s independence. Nobody was out of control or anything, but it is a huge party. In the middle of the night a bunch of cops came and made sure everything was under control. They broke it up after 2 o’clock. I was like, ‘You know what, (forget) that guy, I’m going to run for mayor and show him.’”

A few months later, Osterneck, at the tender age of 25, announced his candidacy for Myrtle Beach’s city council. The rookie candidate wrote speeches and delivered them in front of crowds. He and his team posted large signs around the city that read “Nissen Osterneck for City Council” along with the slogan

“The Future Is Now.” He campaigned for two months.

“I realized after that that nobody was going to take me seriously,” Osterneck said. “It was something I had never really thought about but I do want to help people in my life because I think I’ve been so fortunate. I think I could reach a large amount of people, sharing my ideas about government. I saw the people in Myrtle Beach that are making the decisions … either a trust fund lady who has never had a real job … and they should not be there. There were just no real people that were on the board to make (good) decisions. The focus of our platform was to get young people engaged in politics. I ran against three incumbents and they all got elected. I lost by 400 votes out of 5,000. It cost me a lot of grey hairs. It was a very stressful crash course into politics. I didn’t want people to take me as a joke. I did my research and practiced my speeches and I spoke almost every day for a month. I took it serious and I think one day that might be something I revert to. But right now it’s MMA and that is another thing where I can build credibility for my name, I can become a champion and people will know who I am. That will give me more bargaining power to do something like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Jesse Ventura, something like that.”

In hindsight, Osterneck sees value in losing the election.

“I thought that deep down inside, if I had won, I would have put 100 percent of my effort into it for the city’s sake,” he said. “But when I didn’t win it was a blessing in disguise because I’m not ready to work on city issues. I’m glad I didn’t win because now I’m taking my time in my physical prime to compete in the sport I love. So it was a lesson learned and I got my name out there. I might be fighting but I wouldn’t obviously be as good as I am because I wouldn’t have as much time to do it.”

He said his first name, Nissen, means “Nathan” in Yiddish, and that he was named after a great uncle. Osterneck doesn’t use a moniker or nickname when he fights.

“People are always trying to stamp a name on me, but people can call me whatever they want,” he said. “I think eventually I’m going to become just like Madonna, Prince or Pink.”

Growing up in Maui, Nissen took Karate classes at a young age. He attended private schools until fourth grade, when he attended a public school, where he sometimes became a target for being a white kid in a state where Asians and Pacific Islanders are a majority.

“In the fourth grade I went to public school and the first day of school I got punched in the mouth by a Hawaiian kid,” Osterneck recalled. “I didn’t back down from him. I think I said, ‘You do that again and I’m going to kick your a--’ He just kind of walked away after that. Ever since then I’ve kind of had this need for personal security. Fist fighting is a huge part of Hawaiian culture. They respect fighting and surfing in Hawaii more than anything. Every single party I went to (as a teenager) there was at least one or two fights. In other places people get shot or stabbed; in Hawaii there is just fist fighting. I just needed that security deep down inside to be comfortable and confident in my surroundings and not be a coward or insecure being around these guys. I just wanted to be ready for whatever came at me. I didn’t want to be a coward.”

After seeing a couple UFC shows in the early 1990s, and how Royce Gracie dominated foes much larger than him, Osterneck enrolled in jiu-jitsu classes with a local Gracie affiliate. He was 15 years old and estimates he was 5 feet 5 and 125 pounds at the time. He trained for three years, until he went off to college.

“From the time I was about 18-20 I didn’t train at all, I kind of just lived the college life,” he said. “But I had this exterior pressure put on me because of the success my father, he was so successful and smart. He’s so well respected and everybody knows him, so I was kind of put behind this huge obstacle of trying to live up to his success. I kind of think that is what drove me to alcohol and drug use in high school and college. It was like, ‘God, there’s no way I can be as good as this dude.’

“Then I got sober when I turned 21. I quit drinking. I’m still a recovering alcoholic. I took all that energy I put into partying and put it into my training.”

Since the WEC is scrapping the 185- and 205-pound weight class, and relocating those fighters to the UFC, Osterneck is faced with the opportunity of a lifetime. The only thing standing in his way is Jake Rosholt.

“It’s about time,” Osterneck said of his shot with the WEC and UFC. “I’m not taking anything away from the UFC fighters but I know I can compete at that level. I’ve known that for a few years. I’m ready. I want to see how far I can go and push myself to the limit. I think I’m a good combination of a smart fighter and hard worker. I just love to compete and learning about myself in times of enduring pressure. Ever since I was young and surfing, I was always the craziest one, taking off on the biggest wave at the latest time. Just to get that Fear Factor involved, that’s the way I am. Being scared is where I put myself because I’m not comfortable being comfortable. I like being pushed outside my comfort zone.”

Feb 7, 2006
Sherk Wants Florian-Stevenson Winner

Not long after his unanimous decision victory against Tyson Griffin at UFC 90 on Saturday, former lightweight champion Sean Sherk made his next target known. When Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson collide next month at UFC 91, Sherk will have a vested interest in the outcome.

“Hopefully, I get to fight the winner of Kenny and Joe next,” said Sherk, whose bid to recapture the UFC 155-pound title failed in a technical knockout loss to B.J. Penn in May.

Based out of the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, Sherk already holds a decisive victory over Florian. He earned a unanimous decision against the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt in a bloody five-round title bout at UFC 64 in October 2006.

An accomplished amateur wrestler, Sherk relied mostly on his underrated boxing skills in his riveting match with Griffin. The victory, Sherk’s third in four fights since moving to lightweight, came against one of the UFC’s young lions and re-established the Minnesotan as a major player in the division.

“The lightweight division’s stacked,” Sherk said. “That’s the reason I asked Joe [Silva] to fight Tyson. I know Tyson’s a top contender. Everyone likes him. He’s exciting. I thought that we’d make a great fight, and I thought the winner of this fight would hopefully be lined up for another shot at a belt.”

Sherk (33-3-1) -- whose three losses have come against Penn, reigning UFC welterweight king Georges St. Pierre and future hall of famer Matt Hughes -- handed Griffin just the second defeat of his career. Using lightning-quick combinations and well-timed takedowns, he outpointed the 24-year-old Californian by scores of 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28.

“I thought this was a great opportunity for me to come out and show some stuff that people haven’t seen before,” Sherk said. “I want to show everyone that I’m growing as a fighter. I want to show everyone that I’m three-dimensional, and I thought I did that.”

Feb 7, 2006
Dos Santos Makes Profitable Debut

Brazilian heavyweight Junior dos Santos did more than raise a few eyebrows with his stunning first-round knockout against Fabricio Werdum at UFC 90. He fattened his bank account in the process.

Santos (7-1) pocketed a $65,000 “Knockout of the Night” bonus after he landed a devastating right uppercut and buckled the favored Werdum 1:21 into their match. He caught the ducking Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt on the chin and finished him off with unanswered ground strikes.

“My coaching staff and I studied his fights a lot, and I knew I had a better chance of winning the fight standing up than I did on the ground,” dos Santos said. “It played out like I expected. I noticed in his fights that he would duck down once in a while. I threw a jab, he ducked and I landed the upper[cut]; that’s how it went.”

Believed to be among a handful of elite heavyweights under UFC contract, Werdum -- who survived earlier bouts with Alistair Overeem, Sergei Kharitonov and Aleksander Emelianenko -- had never been knocked out previously.

Santos was not the only beneficiary of the post-fight cash flow.

Sherk and Griffin received matching $65,000 “Fight of the Night” bonuses, and lightweight Spencer Fisher banked $65,000 for “Submission of the Night” after he coaxed a tapout from Shannon Gugerty with a third-round triangle choke.

Feb 7, 2006
Akiyama is criticized in Korea

Korean press was always in favor of Akiyama. However, Kamipro reported that Korean Newspaper now criticizes his action.

" Akiyama has fought fighters who were obviously weaker than him since the last NYE event. In fact, he refused to fight competitive fighters DREAM offered. Now he wants to fight Yoshida. He knows it's apparently impossible, but he said that to grab an attention. Now many fans are disappointed at seeing his action. He is just afraid of getting damaged his reputation by losing"

Feb 7, 2006
Mo Lawal Interview: A star in the making

Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal won a Division II national championship in wrestling in 2002. After winning the title, he transferred to Oklahoma State where he placed third at the 2003 NCAA Championships. He also won the U.S. Nationals and was the No. 1 seed at the U.S. World Team Trials in 2006 before losing in the semifinals.

In other words, the guy can flat out wrestle.

That said, MMA is a different sport. Sure, wrestlers tend to do well in MMA, but they don’t often take on guys with 65 professional fights under their belt in their MMA debut. Of course, that’s why MMAFighting.com’s Robert Rousseau decided to interview Mo Lawal in the first place. He’s not your everyday fighter, and anyone that saw his victorious TKO debut victory over Travis Wiuff knows that.

So as Lawal readies to enter the ring against Fabio Silva at Sengoku VI on Nov. 1, we were lucky enough to get the chance to speak with him about his background, his confidence, Fabio Silva, and more.

MMAFighting.com: I know it was a while ago, but congratulations on your win over Travis Wiuff.

Mo Lawal: Oh, thanks man.

MMAFighting.com: You know, most guys don’t end up fighting a guy with over sixty professional MMA fights in their debut. Wiuff is a guy that’s defeated Ricco Rodriguez, Jason Guida, and Fujita in the past, so tell me how that fight ended up happening.

Mo Lawal: I took it on short notice. (I) threw my name in there to fight maybe like Roger Gracie, but Roger Gracie didn’t know who I was. And I guess he wanted to make a name for himself, so he picked Travis. He ended up getting injured, so they called me up saying they needed somebody to take his place. It was more than welcome. Really, I can fight at 184 pounds; I can fight at 205; I’m confident anywhere as long as I can make weight. So I was like, ‘alright, let’s take it.’ I thought it would be a good fight for me because my whole life, you know what I’m saying, I’ve never done anything the right way. It’s always been backwards. Same with wrestling. I started wrestling real late and I won state my second year of wrestling.

MMAFighting.com: Were you concerned at all about his MMA experience advantage coming in or no?

Mo Lawal: No. Here’s the thing, right. I take it like this, after every fight you’re 0-0 again. It’s like your debut, I think. It’s a lot of experience, but each fight is a new fight. You can be 100-0 and go to a fight and lose. So you’re pretty much 0-0 coming into each fight.

MMAFighting.com: It’s a good attitude to come in with for sure. You seemed very calm in that fight. Were you that calm?

Mo Lawal: Yeah, I’m always that calm. I was more concerned about my entrance into the ring than the fight. I’ve trained so much for the fight—well, not so much—I trained maybe for a good solid two months. . . But not for Travis, just training. I train hard so I was just excited about that fight. I just know I’m always prepared and I’m always ready.

MMAFighting.com: You also looked very good on your feet. I know that you have a background in wrestling, but do you have a background in stand up?

Mo Lawal: Here’s the thing: when I was in high school I used to go to a boxing gym a little bit and just play around. But I never had a steady boxing trainer ever. I used to show up, put the gloves on, and just play around. I learned the jab, the cross, the hook. I learned one, two, three. . . Then I just kept on wrestling. . . and people call(ed) me up and play(ed) around with boxing gloves. (Now) I’ve probably had about two and a half months of solid training with Melchor Manor and about a month and a half with Justin Fortune.

MMAFighting.com: So you do have some background in striking. It looked like you did. How is it training with Team Quest, and who are some of the guy that you end up training with most?

Mo Lawal: I train with Team Quest, but right now I am currently not with Team Quest. I trained with Josh Barnett, Hector Lombard, Benji Radach. . . Babalu, Chael Sonnen, Matt Lindland, Ryan Schultz, the list goes on—Dean Lister, Jayson “Mayhem” Miller, Ryo Chonan.

MMAFighting.com: You’ve been training with a lot of the best guys going.

Mo Lawal: Yeah, because it goes back to. . . When I first started wrestling, I pretty much learned the one- two (boxing) and played around with people. When I got to a high level of people it worked. I started to figure out how to do everything right.

MMAFighting.com: We all know that you’re a national championship caliber wrestler and that wrestlers do well making the transition to MMA. But what has been the biggest challenge for you in making the transition?

Mo Lawal: I don’t know because it’s my dream job. My dream was to be a fighter, a world champion. The challenge is probably stand up, I guess. I have no idea because I love everything. There’s no challenge for me. I love everything that comes with MMA, injuries and all. I don’t care. I love it all.

MMAFighting.com: How has your jiu jitsu been coming along?

Mo Lawal: See the thing is I don’t work off my back really. I just want to get off my back. I train with Dean Lister, Babalu, Josh Barnett, Erik Paulson. I’m not a jiu jitsu specialist, but I know my thing; I’m pretty aware. I’ve got great jiu jitsu awareness.

MMAFighting.com: What’s next for you? Are you signed long term to WVR? Are you able to fight for other organizations? What’s the deal now?

Mo Lawal: Well, I’m starting with Sengoku but I can fight anywhere else but Asia. I’m fighting Fabio Silva Nov. 1. That’s going to be a good fight. He’s a Chute Box guy, 11-4 record, which is crazy because I’m only 1-0 (laughing). It’s a challenge. To me, it’s 0-0.
MMAFighting.com: How’s training been going for that fight?

Mo Lawal: It’s going great. I’m just ready to fight. I love fighting.

MMAFighting.com: You said you’ve trained with Josh Barnett. What’s that like?

Mo Lawal: Oh man, me and Josh Barnett. . . When we’re training, we fight! I’m not going to lie, I’ll take him down, I’ll try things (but) he gets the best of me. It’s so fun. He beats the breaks off of me, but it’s fun.

I hold my own. I love the challenge. He’s a great fighter. I think he’s athletic. I think he can honestly beat Fedor. He’s a bad man. Fedor is a great fighter himself, but Josh Barnett can move. . . he’s athletic, good wrestling. He’ll take me down once in a while and I’m a takedown specialist, you know what I’m saying?

MMAFighting.com: Yeah. What do you think of your upcoming opponent?

Mo Lawal: Aggressive, Brazilian, a fighter from Chute Box. He’s kind of like Wanderlei, tries to be like Wanderlei, but he’s not Wanderlei. I’m looking forward to having a good fight with him and looking good and smelling good and feeling good after the fight.

MMAFighting.com: (Laughing) Any predictions for that fight?

Mo Lawal: No, just predict me looking good. . . I’m just going to go out there and fight. I’m gonna stay looking good, though.

MMAFighting.com: Anything you’d like to say to the fans.

Mo Lawal: I appreciate your support. . . Let’s go out there and support all contact sports. If you get a chance to watch a Taekwondo tournament, go watch it. A wrestling tournament? Yeah (that too). Just watch everything so you can learn more about everything about the combat sports.

MMAFighting.com: Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to me. Good luck in your fight.

Mo Lawal: No problem, bro.
Posted By:
Robert Rousseau

May 10, 2002
lol @ "I fucked him up"

What the hell did he do except take some knees, some kicks and one of the stiffest straight lefts I've seen in a while.

That knee in the second (or was it the first round) hurt him and if Anderson didn't slip, he would've been done.

Dec 30, 2003
lol @ "I fucked him up"

What the hell did he do except take some knees, some kicks and one of the stiffest straight lefts I've seen in a while.

That knee in the second (or was it the first round) hurt him and if Anderson didn't slip, he would've been done.
haha he didnt fuck him up but he did frustrate anderson i could tell... he landed a few solid elbows... and the way he taunted silva back was pretty funny... cant wait for the rematch.

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
haha he didnt fuck him up but he did frustrate anderson i could tell... he landed a few solid elbows... and the way he taunted silva back was pretty funny... cant wait for the rematch.
ANDERSON WAS JUST TOYING WITH HIM. HE DIDNT EVEN ENGAGE OR FULLY COMMIT. HE JUST PICKED ON HIS OPENINGS. I DIDNT SEE ANDERSON BEING FRUSTRATED. I SEEN ANDERSON BEING A SMART FIGHTER AND SEEING WHAT DUDE HAD TO OFFER.

May 10, 2002
I read an article somewhere that made a good point about how some people don't feel they get their money's worth when watching a Silva fight (because they don't usually last very long).

Maybe that message has trickled down to his camp and they wanted to make the fight go a little longer than they usually do. Which lends to the idea that he was just fucking around with Cote and could have put him away whenever he wanted to.

Feb 7, 2006
Pete Sell credits increased focus for UFC 90 win

While the majority of the post "UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote" discussion has certainly focused on the strange behavior of Anderson Silva and the bizarre ending to his main event bout with Patrick Cote, much of the post weigh-in buzz was around the incredible look of Pete Sell (8-4 MMA, 2-4 UFC) at 170 pounds.

Despite four straight losses in the UFC, the slimmed-down Sell recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he never considered going anywhere else.

"I never wanted to fight in another organization," Sell said. "The UFC is the big show. It's where I wanted to be."

Rather than attempt to compete for smaller promotions, Sell chose to re-invent himself by dropping from 185 pounds to the welterweight division. Sell said he was able to trim to 180 pounds through a refined focus on conditioning, then drop the remaining 10 pounds through cutting water on the day of the weigh-ins.

"That's how I'm going to have to do it," Sell said. "The only other way would be to cut off my arm. I'm definitely big for that weight class."

Sell battled Josh Burkman on Saturday night in what many MMA pundits believed was a "must-win" bout for each competitor. Despite struggling early in the match, Sell was able to push forward for the entire 15 minutes en route to a unanimous decision victory.

The hard-hitting New Yorker knows he wouldn't have been able to earn the victory without recent changes in his life.

"All the competition is a lot better," Sell said. "It's an arms race. Everybody is trying to get better at everything. That's it.

"I feel so good that I trained hard for a while. I just feel like a new guy. My work ethic, everything. I live, eat, sleep and breathe the fights. All I do is train. I haven't had much time for a social life.

"I used to be always everywhere partying. Even people I used to bounce down to the bars with have been, 'Where the hell have [you] been?' I kind of lay low from the whole scene. I'm just focused, and I figure I can party when I'm on top."

It may take some time to reach the top of the UFC's talent-laden 170 pound division, but for a man that pushed through a stretch of just one win in five bouts, this win is energizing.

"I have love for this sport, and that's what I want to do," Sell said. "I just want to thank all the fans that stuck by me all this time through my tough experiences -- and getting through them and coming back.

"I would love to spread that message, that you just can't give up. You've got to keep going for your dreams."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC offers "Kimbo Slice" spot on "The Ultimate Fighter"

Despite UFC President Dana White's consistent publicly voiced disdain for EliteXC's use of Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson as a marketable MMA commodity, White did recently offer Slice an opportunity to join the world's leading MMA promotion.

With Slice out of a job after the recent collapse of EliteXC and parent company ProElite, White was asked about the possibility of bringing the former streetfighter into the UFC at the post-UFC 90 press conference.

"[Slice] can be on 'The Ultimate Fighter,'" White said.

Despite the offer, White's position on the skills of Slice have apparently not changed.

"What's [Slice] done other than get 10 million hits on YouTube?," White asked. "What's he done to deserve to be in the UFC? Nothing. I don't consider him a real athlete or anything. He won't win The Ultimate Fighter. The offer's out there if he wants to take it, (but) he won't win it."

The prospect of Slice appearing on the Spike TV reality show still seems a bit far-fetched.

Little is known of the exact status of the contracts the now-defunct EliteXC held with its fighters. Slice and others may be tied up in court battles for the immediate future. The UFC would also almost certainly not be willing to match Slice's $500,000 salary for his most recent fight.

But when asked if the UFC would be willing to feature a heavyweight edition of "The Ultimate Fighter" for the first time since the show's second season, White certainly didn't rule out the prospect.

"We might do that," White said with a grin.

Feb 7, 2006
Denis Kang makes quick work of Marvin Eastman at Raw Combat

Canadian resident Denis Kang (31-10-1) made quick work of UFC veteran Marvin Eastman (15-9-1) Saturday night at "Raw Combat: Redemption" in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Kang needed just 48 seconds to dispatch of "The Beastman."

A devastating right hand dropped Eastman, and a flurry of punches followed to force the stoppage.

After enduring a stretch of three losses in four bouts to top-10 caliber middleweights Gegard Mousasi, Yoshihiro Akiyama and Kazuo Misaki, Kang has now earned first round victories in his past two bouts.

Before Kang's three losses, the PRIDE, DREAM, K-1, Pancrase and Spirit MC veteran had been undefeated for over three years -- a span of 23 bouts. Kang has notable wins over Akihiro Gono, Amar Suloev, Murilo "Ninja" Rua and Mark Weir, among others.

For Eastman, the loss was his second-straight first-round defeat. Eastman's last outing was a June defeat at the hands of Drew McFedries at "The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale."

"Raw Combat: Redemption" was the second event in 2008 for the organization. Resurrected from an 11-year layoff after the disbanding of Canada's Hardcore Championship Fighting, Raw Combat's June event featured David Loiseau, Dan Hornbuckle, Nabil Khatib and Travis Galbraith.

The full results of "Raw Combat: Resurrection" were:

Denis Kang def. Marvin Eastman via TKO
Bibliano Fernandes def. Len Tam via submission (triangle choke)
Trevor Stewardon def. Brendan Seguin via TKO
Tim Hague def. Miodrag Petkovic via unanimous decision
Ryan Ford def. Nabil Khatib via unanimous decision
Andrew Buckland def. Garrett Davis via KO
Hardeep Singh def. Bernie Antle via TKO
Nathan Gunn def. Jaret Evans via unanimous decision
Brad Cardinal def. Myles Merola via submission (triangle choke)
Matt Bagshaw def. Wes Jaya via submission (rear-naked choke)
Keto Allen def Mike Rowbotham via submission (strikes)

Feb 7, 2006
ULTIMATE FIGHTER 9 DRAWS RECORD TRYOUTS

A record number of athletes turned out on Monday at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Chicago to try out for "The Ultimate Fighter 9." Besting the previous record of about 500 in Florida for Season 5, according to Spike TV more than 700 fighters gathered in Chicago.

That number is in addition to the more than 200 respondents that swarmed the tryouts in London a week ago, giving Spike and the Ultimate Fighting Championship an ample number to choose from for Season 9.

The next edition of The Ultimate Fighter is slated to begin filming in January for a typical debut in April on Spike. The coming season will feature a Team U.S.A. vs. Team U.K. theme with Michael Bisping coaching the British contingent. The winner of the January bout between Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson at UFC 93 in Ireland is poised to head the U.S. team.

The UFC has gone away from its original plan to include middleweights as part of Season 9 – likely due to a number of WEC middleweights likely to join the UFC fold with the dissolution of the division in the WEC – and instead utilize welterweights and lightweights for its international battle.

Feb 7, 2006
Robbie Lawler Comments on EliteXC and Beyond

The last ever Elite XC middleweight champion, Robbie Lawler, recently updated his blog on his personal website, Robbie-Lawler.com, where he talked about the recent demise of the company and he had good things to say about his time with the promotion.

"As everyone knows Elite XC is no longer around. I enjoyed my time working for them and I was treated really well. Thank you to everyone at Pro Elite for the opportunity to fight in front of millions of fans."

The internet started buzzing over the weekend when Lawler was spotteed at UFC 90 and speculation began running that he may sign with the promotion where he basically started his career.

While Lawler did not confirm or deny anything, he believes his future is very bright.

"Last week I spent at the UFC with Matt Hughes. The atmosphere was awesome as usual. I spent time talking to Monte Cox about what my options are. I also had a brief conversation with the very busy prez of the UFC. All that said I think I will be just fine. I will blog when I sign with an organization. Until then I will keep myself in good shape."

Along with Elite XC welterweight champion Jake Shields, Lawler is one of the top prospects that will be rumored to end up with the UFC at the end of the day.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Fabricio Werdum ’surprised’ by knockout loss to Dos Santos at UFC 90

“… I was ready and focused, but everything happened so fast, the punch came fast and strongly. I punched him and down my head and he punched me in the same time. I twisted my knee when I fell down and opened a cut in my nose, but everything is all right. I couldn’t even feel the fight, but it’s ok, in fighting you only have two options: win or lose. Now it’s time to think in my next fight…. I’ve never been knocked out or submitted in my whole life. We always have a first time, and it was my first KO. Cigano deserved that, I have to congratulate him, because he surprised me … it wasn’t to0 much confidence. I was with a great Muay Thai, ground game, but it all happened so fast. He deserved that, he said he respected me before the fight and I respected him and still do, confidence is a normal thing.”