Martial arts

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I don't think I've ever seen a school that teaches wing-chun to be honest. Most of the schools around this way are centered around Karate or MMA. There's only a few reputable schools I know of.

If I had a choice at this stage in my life, I'd like to learn Krav Maga.

Jul 6, 2009
There's a dojo or studio whichever one is the correct word, that the instructor teaches wing-chun and Muay Thai. All of my favorite martial arts films are in these two styles

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I feel the same about boxing that I do about kickboxing, those don't feel like "self-defense" whereas most of the rest of the martial arts are primarily seen as self-defense. In my experience, kids tend to fight more learning boxing or kickboxing outside of the gym than other martial arts styles. It's not always the case, but that's just an observation.

Jan 5, 2006
Judo! and some boxing... your kid will be un-fuck-with-able.

Think about it... throw your ass while you eat these punches on the way down.

If you can find a Judo school that is traditional (Kodokan) it focuses more on self defense, whereas a lot of Judo schools focus on sport judo (olympic) but still be bad ass.

If you can find a Kyokushin Karate school (GSP trains in this I believe, pretty much MMA-style Karate)... also dope, probably the only form of Karate I would ever consider taking.

Then there's always Ju Jitsu (Japanese ) or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (which split off from Judo a long time ago and focuses mostly on the ground)

Muay Thai as seen, is pretty damn effective, when taught by a legit instructor.

If you have no other choice but Tae Kwon Do.. it's a good base for teaching your son how to kick real good, but I would then move away from that into something like Muay Thai or Kyokushin Karate.

I myself will be getting back into Judo/Jiu Jitsu within the next week with some Boxing and start competing by the end of this year... need to start exercising again.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I actually thought about putting him in wrestling too. Wrestling is huge over here but I honestly think he would just complain a lot and not want to do the exercises and all that because wrestling is pretty damn tough. I think once he learns the discipline of martial arts a bit, he might be more inclined to wrestle later on. The problem is, kids start hella early here with wrestling and he'll be behind the 8 ball if I go that route. I really want him to learn the discipline and self discipline of martial arts more than anything.
M @mike , I think TKD generally sucks, but it is one of the better styles to start out with for kids. I'm opting for Karate though because it teaches them to use their hands more than TKD

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
my man put him in Muay Thai but he may hate it for a while because you don't really learn the good shit right away, i did it for 8 years but i also wrestled as well after my first year in Muay Thai, how old is your kid? maybe mix up classes like Kickboxing and Wrestling let him figure out what he's into dont just throw him in one thing maybe he'll like all three and bang you'll be good when he's older and wont have to worry about him doing dumb shit because he'll be busy with his passion/ or even better yet why dont you take classes together

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
He just turned 6. The main reason he's going to be taking karate is the proximity to our house and the cost. This dude I went to school with since like 7th grade is the sensei there and he's cutting us a huge deal on the cost for 2 classes per week. I know more about other styles and learned a lot about JKD and I used to be a boxing trainer, and know some jiu jitsu/grappling techniques so I can always teach him what I know in addition to that stuff so he's more well rounded.

I was going to start a boxing ministry last year but just didn't have enough time. My daughter is going to be born soon so I won't have a ton of time to take him to a school farther away this year but figured it was a good start. The sensei has expressed interest in starting a joint venture though to teach kids boxing and Goju Ryu so that might be a possibility down the line too.

Jan 5, 2006
That's one of the overlooked factors too.. the best school is the one nearest and cheapest. Plus Karate isn't bad. If you notice your kid isn't paying more attention to you and is being less respectful then the Karate ain't working. I also used to train in JKD, I was 4th Generation under Bruce Lee (Bruce Lee > Dan Inosanto > My Instructor > Me) Only thing I hate about arts like Karate is katas (forms)... ain't nobody go time for that!

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
That's one of the overlooked factors too.. the best school is the one nearest and cheapest. Plus Karate isn't bad. If you notice your kid isn't paying more attention to you and is being less respectful then the Karate ain't working. I also used to train in JKD, I was 4th Generation under Bruce Lee (Bruce Lee > Dan Inosanto > My Instructor > Me) Only thing I hate about arts like Karate is katas (forms)... ain't nobody go time for that!
that's awesome man. There are very few good JKD schools out there. Most of what I learned I had to teach myself. It's kind of incomplete in my opinion but still effective. I think katas are generally pointless too, especially if you're a practitioner of JKD lol Karate is still very effective and really underrated this day and age after MMA got popular, people think it's obsolete or something which couldn't be farther from the truth.