Martial arts

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
at 6 years old is like the best time to start him, best time for him to learn respect, and he'll always be impacted with that style..i miss doing MT but it got to the point where i moved out to cali and really didnt see the point in spending top $ for something ive been doing for 8 yrs by a different bunch of dudes plus in Sac i dunno really any MT places that are true MT

Jan 5, 2006
that's awesome man. There are very few good JKD schools out there. Most of what I learned I had to teach myself. It's kind of incomplete in my opinion but still effective. I think katas are generally pointless too, especially if you're a practitioner of JKD lol Karate is still very effective and really underrated this day and age after MMA got popular, people think it's obsolete or something which couldn't be farther from the truth.
Yeah I think it depends on the instructor but most tend to focus on one art the most which is a bad idea.

at 6 years old is like the best time to start him, best time for him to learn respect, and he'll always be impacted with that style..i miss doing MT but it got to the point where i moved out to cali and really didnt see the point in spending top $ for something ive been doing for 8 yrs by a different bunch of dudes plus in Sac i dunno really any MT places that are true MT
Dude.. if you're ever in SF or near SF... check out Gilbert Melendez's gym "El Nino" the Muay Thai instructor there is Jongsanan Fairtex... best kept secret (not so secret) On top of that... Jake Shields and the Diaz brothers train there.

EVERgREENRIDER

ResidentRocketScientist
Dec 18, 2008
At the Pump
Yeah I think it depends on the instructor but most tend to focus on one art the most which is a bad idea.

Dude.. if you're ever in SF or near SF... check out Gilbert Melendez's gym "El Nino" the Muay Thai instructor there is Jongsanan Fairtex... best kept secret (not so secret) On top of that... Jake Shields and the Diaz brothers train there.
Is learning from Jake Shield's striking coach really the best idea though? Lol

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
For a young child I'd recommend Aikido. Non aggressive but effective way of combat.
I actually disagree with that. At a young age, a style like Aikido is less effective in my opinion because you have to be really precise with the movements, whereas with Karate, wrestling, muay thai, etc... it teaches you how to throw a good kick or punch, or how to defend yourself if someone tries to take you down. Even if you don't hit the perfect spot with a good karate punch or kick, it still hurts. If you miss where you tried to grab someone's wrist or something for a move in Aikido, it's a total fail.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I think judo is a very good place to start.
I did that from 7 until 10 and stil benefit from it.
After I started moving a different direction.
I would definitely consider it as an option but the only real judo school over here is pretty steep. They charge over $70 per month if I'm not mistaken and they mainly only teach adults. It's a really good school from what I hear, but money talks.

mouth_my_nuts

🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻
Feb 16, 2006
I actually disagree with that. At a young age, a style like Aikido is less effective in my opinion because you have to be really precise with the movements, whereas with Karate, wrestling, muay thai, etc... it teaches you how to throw a good kick or punch, or how to defend yourself if someone tries to take you down. Even if you don't hit the perfect spot with a good karate punch or kick, it still hurts. If you miss where you tried to grab someone's wrist or something for a move in Aikido, it's a total fail.
In my opinion only an idiot would put a 6 year old in a highly combative martial arts like muy Thai. Aikido derives from jujitsu techniques but uses the opponents momentum against them without causing heavy injury to the attacker which is why I recommend it for a child. If you want your kid to know how to defend himself well put him in aikido or boxing.

May 6, 2002
I did Shotokan since I was a kid, probably about 4 years old. Up until I was about 21, at which I really got into lifting weights so that took me out of the martial arts scene. Started boxing again at 26 (while still lifting). Then started Muay Thai at 29 up until now (32). Still lifting as well. I train 3 or 4 days a week, lift about 3 days a week. Depending on how my body is holding up. Trained all my life I guess...

Jan 5, 2006
Also I forgot to add that Judo is probably the cheapest yet effective martial art.

I've seen some dojos that are $50 a month, here in the expensive Bay Area. Other places much cheaper... history has it back in Japan, Karate was for the rich and Judo for the people who couldn't afford Karate.

May 14, 2002
I would definitely consider it as an option but the only real judo school over here is pretty steep. They charge over $70 per month if I'm not mistaken and they mainly only teach adults. It's a really good school from what I hear, but money talks.

Fuck paying $70 a month, I think your kid is just as well off with a school that focusses more on the sport aspect of judo on that age.
He'll learn a lot either way at that age. And don't forget he also should have fun doing so. Or else it would be pretty pointless because he won't keep it up anyway.

Also I forgot to add that Judo is probably the cheapest yet effective martial art.

I've seen some dojos that are $50 a month, here in the expensive Bay Area. Other places much cheaper... history has it back in Japan, Karate was for the rich and Judo for the people who couldn't afford Karate.

I am so fortunate to live in a country where there is so much and such a high standard for matial arts. Keeps the prices low. Except for krav maga but if I want to learn how to run away from a fight I'd pick up running. Probably stepped on some toes there!
That history about rich and poor got pretty much shot down when most martial arts made it to the west.
I pay about 20 euro's each month but I also get private lessons from my teacher at least twice a week for what I pay absolutely nothing. He is one of the few that still maintains this mentality of not accepting money to teach this art.

Personally I am not such a big fan of Muay Thai or Thai boxing, it's a beautiful art and yes you can kick someones ass probably (if you are trained better then your opponent) but it relays heavily on speed and strength, both of which diminish when you get older so you are more likely to lose a fight of a younger but stronger and faster while less experienced guy the longer you train. While in fact the longer you train the better you should become.
At this moment I train a lot of mechanics for punching and hitting, it's all technique, a decent punch has actually nothing to do with strength. You should also not even be in a fight, ever. When someone comes at you with aggression hit first and hard knocking him out with one punch but throw three just to make sure and talk after. My teacher always tells me if you can't knock someone out in one punch you just can't punch lol