It's Official: Guru Has Passed

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
to not know who certain rappers are isnt a big deal. but GURU???? come on.
C'mon man. I know who GURU is. But just because you, me or the other one's dis'n the dude that doesn't know who he is doesn't mean everyone else has to know who he is. GURU wasn't a huge name in the rap game. I'm just sayin...not EVERYONE has to know who GURU is. He was pretty much just underground, and the one's that follow Gangstarr real well know him. Gangstarr may not be everyone's cup of tea. There's people out there that don't even know who Brotha Lynch Hung is that follow rap music. Are you going to give them the 3rd degree once they say, "who the hell is Brotha Lynch Hung", too?

I'm not trying to stick up for dude, but it's just rediculous to try to talk shit to a dude just because he doesn't know who one of YOUR favorite rappers is.

Certified is my favorite group, and if BG Church or Swindle passes, and I announce it on here, and someone comes on here and says, "Who the hell is BG Church?", I'm not going to trip. Because I know not everyone knows who he is.

Keep the B/S out of this R.I.P. thread for GURU and just pay respects to him.

R.I.P. GURU.

May 9, 2002
C'mon man. I know who GURU is. But just because you, me or the other one's dis'n the dude that doesn't know who he is doesn't mean everyone else has to know who he is. GURU wasn't a huge name in the rap game. I'm just sayin...not EVERYONE has to know who GURU is. He was pretty much just underground, and the one's that follow Gangstarr real well know him. Gangstarr may not be everyone's cup of tea. There's people out there that don't even know who Brotha Lynch Hung is that follow rap music. Are you going to give them the 3rd degree once they say, "who the hell is Brotha Lynch Hung", too?

I'm not trying to stick up for dude, but it's just rediculous to try to talk shit to a dude just because he doesn't know who one of YOUR favorite rappers is.

Certified is my favorite group, and if BG Church or Swindle passes, and I announce it on here, and someone comes on here and says, "Who the hell is BG Church?", I'm not going to trip. Because I know not everyone knows who he is.

R.I.P. GURU.
I hear you...but comparing BG Church and Guru in terms of what they have done for hip-hop is a joke. Gangstarr are LEGENDARY known around the WORLD.

As a hip-hop fan, you should KNOW WHO THE PIONEERS ARE, PERIOD.

Feb 14, 2004
Dude, I wasn't comparing the two musicians at all. I was just using BG Church as an example. If I was to compare anyone to GURU, I wouldn't choose anyone from the NW. GURU was was on a whole nother level, and I know better to compre anyone in the NW to him.

Apr 25, 2002
Because of the 90's babies association with the genre and their constant disrespect of it.

This doesnt happen ONLY on the Siccness.

Just listen to old shit and clown the 90's babies then.

I know what you mean, but it might be time to concede that Rap has gone the way of Jazz and Blues and other uniquely american genres of music with closely related sub-cultures. Sure there will be people making new music in the future that pay respect to the old school and have a foundation grounded in it, but you’ll have a lot that won’t, and things ‘ll never be like they were. Count yourself lucky for being around for it.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com

R.I.P. GURU.
Your "B/S" 15 chapter book you just typed up there is what is taking away from the thread.

RIP GURU.

May 9, 2002
Dude, I wasn't comparing the two musicians at all. I was just using BG Church as an example. If I was to compare anyone to GURU, I wouldn't choose anyone from the NW. GURU was was on a whole nother level, and I know better to compre anyone in the NW to him.
I understand that, but is was a very poor example. Guru is known around the world, therefore, people who listen to hip-hop SHOULD know who he is. BG Church is local as fuck...apples to oranges.

May 9, 2002
Just listen to old shit and clown the 90's babies then.

I know what you mean, but it might be time to concede that Rap has gone the way of Jazz and Blues and other uniquely american genres of music with closely related sub-cultures. Sure there will be people making new music in the future that pay respect to the old school and have a foundation grounded in it, but you’ll have a lot that won’t, and things ‘ll never be like they were. Count yourself lucky for being around for it.
I was being facetious in the first place. I was using hyperbole to express my frustrations with the lack of knowledge of a "hip-hop" fan that he should know.

However, I dont like about 95% of the new shit...so....

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
I agree with IFYM.

I can't see how you wouldn't know of Gangstarr. I can see how maybe you wouldn't know exactly who Guru was, but there's no excuse for not knowing Gangstarr.

I honestly think the BLH fan is just making his way through threads trolling anyway.

RIP to Guru. i was hoping he'd pull through.