How much $$$ would you spend on a verse -Messy Marv/Lil B/Ap-9/E-40

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
@ dirt e. needlez

I was actually gonna say that too. The first time I really noticed this was on the Messy Marv Turf Politics album. I'm sure it had happened before but that was the first time it stuck out to me. The song Center of Attention with 40 and B-legit is one of my favorite rap songs in at least 10 years but you know 40 would always throw hella adlibs on there and there was an actual chemistry he'd have with people he knew or had worked with. There was none of that on that song at all. It was kinda hard to believe and it definitely took away from what the song coulda been.

Now you take a rapper about 1/4th as good as any of the rappers I just named on that song and imagine the quality

Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM
yeah you can spot an "emailed verse" from a mile away in music now....its funny at times when the verse has nothing to do with the song, yet they still use it and brag about getting *insert rapper name here* on a track.

lmao @ rappers with 25 features, 10 cd's, and cant even afford gas money, but in every rhyme there a "made man"

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
yeah you can spot an "emailed verse" from a mile away in music now....its funny at times when the verse has nothing to do with the song, yet they still use it and brag about getting *insert rapper name here* on a track.

lmao @ rappers with 25 features, 10 cd's, and cant even afford gas money, but in every rhyme there a "made man"
"ridin 24's but still can't pay rent, 4 kids around the city, still don't parent"

Apr 23, 2006
I tell you what I WOULD pay a truly established artist to do... and that would be to put one of MY verses on HIS album. See, if you really want to get some exposure, THAT is what you would REALLY want spend your hard earned money on. Instead of paying a Cat 10 racks to spit a couple of verses on YOUR album and praying that those few lines are gonna be fire enough to get you enough exposure to help you sell some units to HIS fan base, go directly to the well to get your water and you'll get an entire album worth of verses that he undoubtedly believes are his BEST material.

i really hope that never happens... there are enough wack features on my favorite rappers albums already with out some burlingame rich kid buyin his way onto it also

FROM MY EXPERIENCE ON THE PROJECT THAT IM PUTTIN TOGETHER, I KNOW ALOT OF DUDES SO I GOT SUM GOOD CONNECTS BUT I ALSO KNO ITS NOT A CERTAIN ARTIST THAT WILL MAKE A RECORD A GOOD RECORD .. THATS HOW I SEE MUSIC, IN MY EYES IT AINT ABOUT THE ARTIST THAT HAS EXPOSURE, ITS ABOUT THE ARTIST THAT HAS TALENT AND WILL FIT THE SONG. WHEN U BUY A VERSE FROM A ESTABLISHED ARTIST ALL U DOIN IS BUYIN "SOME" EYE CANDY FOR UR PROMOTION. I KNOW FIRST HAND THAT AINT NUTHIN FOR FREE SO I UNDERSTAND WERE ARTIST ARE COMIN FROM ESPECIALLY IF YOU PLAN TO MAKE MONEY ON YOUR PROJECT YOUR PUTTIN TOGETHER, LOL WHAT KINDA SHIT WOULD THAT BE TO GET FREE VERSE AND MAKE MONEY OFF OF THEM WITHOUT THEM SEEIN A PROFIT

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
I hope people like The Jacka aren't charging full price for spitting the same exact verse he's used on other songs. I've seen him do that with a couple of features, I hope those people got it on the joog at least lol. I guess that would make people more inclined to pay the full asking price tho.

Apr 25, 2002
You shouldn't. I, personally, am a fan of your work... Mostly due to your originality, skill, and overall mindset. Although you're not as established as many of the rappers most would die to fuck wit, you're one of the few I'd work with for free... Although as you know, I am not a rapper, but a producer...

PS... By the way... The Subsidiary deal fell through. I'll be getting at you again. Keep your ears open...
fa sho...good lookin out

Apr 25, 2002
Houston
I USED TO eat strictly off music back when people bought CD's.
I have lost 40 lbs since then. ha
I aint complainin tho, I embrace dat struggle. There is still money to be made...and it's becoming clearer every day where it's at.

If you are an Indie rapper, 9 times outta 10 you aint eatin shit.
If you are an Indie rapper/Businessman, you have a chance.
Well, when was the last time you or your record label released an album? You can't make money if you're not putting anything out there.

May 24, 2002
www.cinsityrecords.com
Well, when was the last time you or your record label released an album? You can't make money if you're not putting anything out there.
hahaha...
that's not true but I get your point loud and clear. lol
we going on 6 years now since our last release. but all of our catalog still sells and we still get paid for dat.

we releasing this year tho. even at the height of our releases, Playboy 7 da rapper wasn't getting crazy much money from being Playboy 7 da rapper. and the music business is DOWN across the board since then. Most of da money I made came from da fact that I did a bulk of the early producing / owned publishing / and the biggie was that I co-own Cin SIty Records and run the day to day operations

haaha, we are preparing NEW releases tho dog

Mars

Serial Killer / Rapist
Sep 14, 2002
Pittsburg, CA
www.madinsanity.com
An album doesn'st make you money, it gives you an excuse to go and get money. I haven't released an album since 2009. I eat off that album every day still. But I'm touring and doing shows off the success of that album. I'm selling collabs based off the hype off that album. An album ain't going to be your meal ticket. The oppritunitys that come from the album will be.

Mar 18, 2008
I will be putting together my album for release soon...I have a 10,000 cd sales projection based on roughly 100-150 stores...10 cities to 20 cities. 75% (7,500) of sales within the 1st 2weeks and the remainding 2,500 sales coming in the trailing 2months...so in a 3month time I look to make $60,000 off one project. If I get half the numbers then it's 30,000 in 3months and so the scale goes if I half it one more time.

Ugly Nigga...I Put That On My Life.

Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM
if you sell 7500 copies in 2 weeks and can show proof, i will buy your album

those projections are pretty impressive, but theres pioneers that arent even selling that much in these day and times, and while your business plan may be on point...i cant tell if your expecting stores to cash you out upfront or you are anticipating a HELLUVA lot of sales man....10k is a huge number to try and hit in independant music without a major deal, a GREAT advertising campaign, or a known artist presenting/collaborating your album..DJ Fresh is an example, while i dont have access to his numbers, he releases TOP QUALITY music with damn near every release, has a HOT product line and roster....andf I doubt even he breaks 7500 on a single album..and most likely not in 2 weeks..i may be wrong.

Apr 11, 2008
WWW.PLEASEATSOMESHIT.COM
I will be putting together my album for release soon...I have a 10,000 cd sales projection based on roughly 100-150 stores...10 cities to 20 cities. 75% (7,500) of sales within the 1st 2weeks and the remainding 2,500 sales coming in the trailing 2months...so in a 3month time I look to make $60,000 off one project. If I get half the numbers then it's 30,000 in 3months and so the scale goes if I half it one more time.

good luck with that, at least your ambitious

Mar 18, 2008

B]Ugly Nigga...I Put That On My Life.[/B]
When you have the money make it happen then it is a good chance of success...that's a no brainer...if you can make $100's at a time on lower level transactions then when you get to the next level the same system applies...your just selling more expensive product for greater gain...

In a nutshell your winning ways should take you to the play offs...always cross reference sports particularly football to business...you have to get together a team of investors with financial wherewithal...go out and purchase a state of the art stadium...hire a general manager, head coach, offensive co, defensive co and so on down to quarterback and other personnel. Package your product in flashy suits and hire your advertisement agency and develop your in-house agency and promote to the locals to come an support the team...give out family specials etc...season ticket discounts...

This is all the pre prepping...the next battle is on the field...build your team with a solid offensive and defensive line...let your skill players work form that point...identify exceptional talent then cater your offense or defense to that strength...sometimes it can work the other way. Repition is the key...the more you run your plays the better your execution.

For those of you who just want to be a rapper...your days maybe numbered...survival comes when you diversify your business...music has now become "advertisment" for other products you push to the public.

All business work like a football team and that is what Ugly Nigga takes into consideration with his thought process...that is why I gradually started to pull ahead of my peers...eventually I might start to pull ahead of you...

May 20, 2006

this is your 1st release???

my advice 2 u....... don't count ur chickens b4 they are hatched......

you banking on cd sales???

what's your plan to make $$$ off of selling downloads???

make sum connections in the Midwest and South....

Mar 18, 2008
I could sell 1,000 copies out of Rasputins alone and do the same with Dimples so that's 15 retail stores, so that's 2,000 cd sold and that is on a consignment deal...which doesn't make any difference the money will come my way front end or back. It will remain the same amount. I'm not gonna throw up a whole game plan for everybody but 10,000 on or around that is what I'm looking for. I have the promtional outlet's to do a significant national push. If you effectively promote your album before your targeted release date you should see your bulk sales within the first 2-3weeks.

May 20, 2006
I could sell 1,000 copies out of Rasputins alone and do the same with Dimples so that's 15 retail stores, so that's 2,000 cd sold and that is on a consignment deal...which doesn't make any difference the money will come my way front end or back. It will remain the same amount. I'm not gonna throw up a whole game plan for everybody but 10,000 on or around that is what I'm looking for. I have the promtional outlet's to do a significant national push. If you effectively promote your album before your targeted release date you should see your bulk sales within the first 2-3weeks.

it's a long bridge btwn puttin yo product on the shelf (on cosign) and folks picking it up and paying for it...... this is 2011, not 1997