How do you feel about local radio stations in KC??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 24, 2004
I was talking with a radio rep and we had quite a discussion about Kansas City radio( Hot 103.3 & 95.7)...I would like some feedback from anyone in KC thats trying to get music played. I know we now have Underground Heat ( actually I was suppose to be a part of the show actually cut my drops at chapman back in '04 for it..But when we decided NOT to produce for the group that a certain member was a part of well..U know the story)

any feedback would be appreciated...Im just courious about how KC artist feels about there stations here.

Jun 17, 2006
So just people who are trying to get played? It would not be necessary for instance for me to come in here and comment on how much cock they both suck? Oh well.

Jul 7, 2002
Radio is dead in KC, at least as far as local artists go. It'd be dope if they had a local show that didn't just play shit from whoever is boys with host, a little variety would be nice. It would also be cool if it was more than a little show that's on in the middle of the night.

I think one of em should do like an hour show on like Sunday evening or some shit. I think a good idea would be to have a weekly like top 8 or some shit and have the winner get put into minimal rotation for the following week.

Any way you wrap it though the key is to make sure it's not just a host playing all of his boy's material. Being an engineer I think there needs to be some quality control as well...like no basement recordings. I'm like if you want to get play you should have pro recorded material.

I don't know, that's just my thoughts.

May 9, 2003
www.soundclick.com
Radio is dead in KC, at least as far as local artists go. It'd be dope if they had a local show that didn't just play shit from whoever is boys with host, a little variety would be nice. It would also be cool if it was more than a little show that's on in the middle of the night.

I think one of em should do like an hour show on like Sunday evening or some shit. I think a good idea would be to have a weekly like top 8 or some shit and have the winner get put into minimal rotation for the following week.

Any way you wrap it though the key is to make sure it's not just a host playing all of his boy's material. Being an engineer I think there needs to be some quality control as well...like no basement recordings. I'm like if you want to get play you should have pro recorded material.

I don't know, that's just my thoughts.
yeah exactly how i was thinking...

hey matt u ever get my messages
just curious whats up on that.holler back

Jun 12, 2005
I agree. One if not both stations needs to do something for the local artist. KC will never pop nationally like STL, Houston, or any other city did without highlighting local talent.

I'm an Assistant Program Director for a station with a different format and I know radio is fixed. By fixed I mean nothing but Top 50 songs being played all day. If 103.3 or 95.7 don't break the mold and take a chance, the KC music scene wont blow up in the national market.

I also understand that radio is powered by advertising. If they can't sell it they wont do it. They need to be shown that they can sell ads for a local artist show so they wont be as against it as they are now.

If they need a jock to run the show... hell I'll do it. I have been on air for 6 years and Assistant Program Director for 2 years now. tell them to send me an e-mail... [email protected] haha

KC NEEDS A LOCAL SHOW!

Aug 22, 2005
Real talk Fuck the Radio!!! Kansas city Radio aint never did shit for no Kansas City Artist you name me one??? Go head i'll wait................ dude while im at work in the morning i listen to big boy's neighborhood and johnny dare's morning show and that's all the radio i do... Kansas City Radio sucks dick!! hot 103.3 is too old school i mean i would never want for anyone to lose there job but they need some new blood in that bitch! some muthfuckas that can get shit crackin maybe influence them to play more then whatever the fuck they play 57 times a day!

Oct 12, 2002
www.myspace.com
i work 12 hour shifts and they have the radio on the whole time and it is the same o same o every hour repeated . there has not been a good radio station in KC since Z Rock but it even sucked cause they weren't on FM . i wish they had a rap and rock mix going on but as long as it was local shit , a online local station would even be coo.

Dec 30, 2002
www.geocities.com
I jus drank a 12 pack of Tall Boys.. so excuse your boy if i Go a lil ---- on yall..

But,,,,

Besides 90.1 and Underground Heat... The Farthest KC radio has done for Artist is playing a Intro for a Show.
I made a Intro for shorty n the Boys Morning Show Last year. and they Still play it 4 times a day at the top of the hour from 6 ta 10.Mon-Fri..

and then i hear Local artist on 103's intro to the Hot 8@8 sometimes...

but as far as Say How L.A. or ATL ta NYC does it...they Spin Local shit constantly.

I feel Kansas City Radio is stuck in the Corporate Bullshit...
not giving artists a chance ta get in the mix of daily programing...
That shit makes it hard to get recognition .. and since the shit aint on the radio, it's harder to Sell CD's...and Fill out Shows...

hot 103.3 is too old school i mean i would never want for anyone to lose there job but they need some new blood in that bitch! some muthfuckas that can get shit crackin maybe influence them to play more then whatever the fuck they play 57 times a day!
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ EXACTLY WHAT THEY NEED BRO!! /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

They Play so much Garbage on the radio now .. and they Play the shit so much that if you do listen to radio.. You hear a song you hate at first.. but after hearin the shit 50 times you start to know it.. and then like it...
like some subliminal shit goin on...

So IF YOU CAN MAKE IT IN KANSAS CITY. YOU CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE!!
kansas city is the melting pot of melting pots.....
some like this type of music some like that type..
finding the middle ground of things is Hard...by doin that we will have our own sound.. and it's all allready in motion in the City right NOW...
it's all a matter of time...
everyone that makes music from kc needs ta keep making Qaulity Music..
Recorded and Mixed ta industry Standards.with InoVative Beats, Rymes. n Presentation...

Shit Will Get WorldWide...
We already got a few kc Natives OUT there..but still we need ta put more out there.

S.

Aug 31, 2005
POLITRIX!!! RADIO IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME EVERYWHERE...YOU GOTTA UNDERSTAND THIS HIP HOP SHIT IS A BUSINESS. THEY ALL PRETTY MUCH PLAY THE SAME SHIT. SOME MARKETS SHOW MORE LOVE TO INDEPENDENT ARTIST THAN OTHERS. IT HELPS THE WHOLE MARKET WHEN THEY DO SUPPORT LOCALS TOO...

KPRS HAS HAS ALOT OF ROOM TO GROW. DO I SEE IT HAPPENING? FUKC NO!!! YOU RIGHT THEY NEED A MAKEOVER...
1ST THEY NEED TO GET RID OF THAT BULLSHIT ASS STEVE HARVEY SHOW. HE SAYS HE DON'T FUCK W/ THIS RAP/HIP-HOP SHIT AND HARDLY PLAYS ANY MUSIC ON HIS SHOW. THE MUSIC HE PLAYS PROLLY MAKES UP 10% OF KPRS'S REGULAR PLAYLIST. HOW YOU SPOSED TO BR THE HOTTEST IN HIP-HOP & R&B W/ HIM STARTIN YOUR DAY???

THEY NEED SOME NEW ON AIR PERSONALITY'S ALSO...

TONY G., SEAN TYLER BEEN DOIN IT FOR A MIN AND THEY DON'T REALLY FUCK WIT THIS MUSIC SHIT EITHER. SEAN WILL TELL YOU HE DON'T LISTEN TO THIS SHIT. TONY BE A LIL OUT OF TOUCH W/ WHATS POPPIN TODAY ALSO IN HIP-HOP.
I THINK THEY ARE BOTH GRAEAT AT WHAT THEY DO, JUST NOT ON SOME BLAZIN HIP-HOP AND R&B SHIT. THEY DOIN IT CAUSE IT'S HOW THEY EAT AND YOU CAN'T BE MAD AT THAT...

JULEE JONEZ IS KOOL, I THINK SHE STILL GOT A FEW GOOD YEARS LEFT IN HER FOR THAT TYPE OF STATION.

J.T. QUICK IS PROLLY THE MOST IN TUNE ON-AIR PERSONALITY UP THERE. HE IS A ACTUAL DJ AND HE'S GOOD AT DOIN THIS RADIO SHIT. I'M SURE IF HE HAD SOME MORE FREEDOM, YOU GUYS WOULD LOVE THIS DUDE ON THE AIR. I WENT TO COLLEGE W/ QUICK AND WE BOTH HAD OUR OWN SHOW W/ 100% PERCENT CREATIVE CONTROL. HIS SHOW WAS OFF THE HOOK AND HE ALWAYS SUPPORTS LOCALS. I EVEN DID A INTRO FOR HIM BACK IN LIKE 94 WHEN I WAS SPITTIN. HE USE TO PLAY IT ALL THE TIME AND INVITE LOCALS MC'S UP TO THE STATION TO FREESTYLE LIVE AND PLAY THEIR MUSIC & DO INTERVIEWS. COLLEGE RADIO IS ALOT DIFFERENT THAN COMMERCIAL RADIO THO...

UNDERGROUND HEAT IS A GOOD LOOK... I DON'T LIKE THE LIL COMEDY SHIT AND SPORTS SHIT THO... IT'S ENOUGH OF THAT SHIT TO GO AROUND AND I FEEL LIKE HE'S WASTIN TIME THAT LOCAL MUSIC COULD BE PLAYED. HE MIGHT BE BIASED AS FAR AS WHAT HE PLAYS AND HAS THE RIGHT TO BE. THIS GAME IS BUILT ON RELATIONSHIPS AND POLITICS, SO YOU BETTER LEARN TO PLAY 'EM IF YOU TRYIN TO MAKE MOVES. KENNY DIAMONDZ SHOWS THE LOCALS CRAZY LOVE TOO, PLUS HE'S A MEMBER OF THA STREETMONSTA DJ'Z SO SUPPORT HIM(LOL)
NO DJ'S OR MIXERS ON THE AIR IS HURTIN US REALLY BAD IN K.C. W/ THE EXCEPTION OF A 10 MIN MIX ON UNDERGROUND HEAT, NO DJ IS GETTIN ANY WORK ON KPRS. HAVING BIG TIGGER AND THE BAKA BOYZ IS COOL, BUT THEY AIN'T DOIN ANYTHING FOR THIS MARKET. YOU GOT PEOPLE HERE THAT CAN GIVE YOU SOMETHIN SIMILAR TO THOSE GUYS.
I KNOW RECORD REPS THAT HATE THIS MARKET, BUT WANNA GET IN IT SO TUFF. THEY JUST USUALLY CAN'T CRACK THIS MARKET.

I'VE HAD MY HAND IN 3 LOCAL RECORDS THAT HAVE GOT ALOT OF BURN AND BEEN TOP RECORDS IN THE HOT 8 @ 8 ON KPRS FOR WEEKS, EVEN MONTHS...SO IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET PLAYED. A COUPLE OF THOSE RECORDS GOT LABELS CHECKIN FOR THESE ARTIST TOO... ALL BECAUSE OF THEIR BDS, MEDIABASE SPINS IN THIS MARKET. SO AIRPLAY WILL DEFINITELY TURN SOME HEADS IN THE INDUSTRY.(DON'T ASK ME THE RECORDS BUT TRUST ME, THEY HAVE BEEN SOME OF THE BIGGEST RECORDS IN THIS MARKET) ALL 3 RECORDS STARTED IN THE STREETZ/CLUBZ THO BEFORE THEY HIT THE AIRWAVES...HINT, HINT. BUILD A BUZZ AND SHIT WILL FALL INTO PLACE IF YOU HAVE YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.
OH YEAH IF YOU WANNA GET YOU RECORD POPPIN IN THIS MARKET , HOLLA AT ME!

I CAN'T REALLY SPEAK ON 95.7, CUZ I AIN'T HAD NO DEALINS W/ THEM. THEY MORE OF A RHYTHMIC STATION AND JUST CAPITALIZIN ON HIP-HOP BEIN A BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY

IF YOU CAN'T STAND LOCAL RADIO, GET SATELITE RADIO...SHIT IN KC WONT BE CHANGING ANYTIME SOON UNLESS THEY GET ANOTHER STATION TO COME IN AND COMPETE OR THEY GET ME UP IN THE BUILDIN SOMEWHERE!!!

May 25, 2005
my group is gettin dissed the hell out of on a 107.3 commercial offa song that wasnt made for radio and was a joke to begin with, lol!! kinda sucks cuz i swear its gonna hurt us out here...we did the joint cuz we was frustrated with the bs they play on radio and we did it as a funny way to say "is this the type of music u gotta do to get on the radio?"...i dont even know how they got a hold of it in the first place!

Dec 30, 2002
www.geocities.com
Man..
Im in Dallas right now... Spring break...
and i jus heard on the radio a Freestyle with rappers over the Phone.. 4 different MC's.. and they play local shit..!!.. Dallas is with it yall..

KC is so fuckin behind it makes me Sick...

S.