Dedicated to yall heads who use the term "Classic" loosely

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
i can't say nothing about Get Rich or Die Tryin, i didn't buy and never heard the whole album all of the way thru. but i do agree on the Chronic 2001 being a classic.

May 27, 2008
lol forealz i feel you on that since I am a big Wu tang head.

Wu Tang - Enter the 36 - classic
Wu Tang - Wu Forever - classic (imo also)
Raekwon - OB4CL - classic (reason of hearing, aye son! you got that purple tape haha)

wu notables

Supreme Clientele
Tical
IronMan
Enter the 36: Dirty version
WTF no mention of Liquid Swords!?

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
i dont agree. back in the days, rappers didnt drop albums any sooner than 2-3 years apart. so you had to wait alot longer for your favorite mc's to come around with material, thus the '5-7 year' rule.

now the games flooded with music and its impossible to keep up on whats considered a classic and what isnt

let alone our groups of rap was limited at one point
back then it was like east and west

i say give it a year tops

but when outkast came out i knew it was a classic
same w scarface albums

ive bought many albums that when i got done with it, i knew it was classic. like the liks 21 and over, prince pauls prince of thieves, ras kass's soul on ice, redmans whut the album, e-40 federal, season of the siccness, the list could really go on.

theres albums i dont even like that i consider classics, just because they arent a classic to me dosent mean they arent a classic

if someone said to me nas's 'it was written' was a classic i wouldnt be mad at that, even though i threw it out a car window like 24 seconds into the cd

edit: and an extra thing..magazines used to be alot more believeable when fans worked at the magazine office and not people getting payola...so like you saw ultramagnetic mc's on source get 4 1/2 mics you knew it was atleast worth bumping and quite possibly classic

i dont think everyone has he ability to percieve what it takes to be a classic rap albu, that should really be something set aside for damn near hip hop historians, and quite possibly someone who is the complete opposite

Stealth

May 8, 2002
can anyone name an album that they heard 5-7 years ago (2002-2004), but didnt realize it was a classic, or would go down as one.. until now?
The only two I can think of right now (high) are AZ - Aziatic and Murs & 9th Wonder - 3:16 The 9th Edition

Feb 7, 2006
can anyone name an album that they heard 5-7 years ago (2002-2004), but didnt realize it was a classic, or would go down as one.. until now?
cannibal ox - cold vein
camp lo - uptown saturday night

I know the camp lo joint is older than 7 yrs old cann ox might be too.

Nov 12, 2002
www.MSMOfficial.com
Chronic 2001 actually came out in 1999 i believe.....

and i seriously dont consider Get Rich or Die Tryin a classic.....that album has gotten worse with time. it really didnt age well....sounds dated and boring to me now....really only a couple traccs with replay value to me and its only on a rare occasion....

but everyone has an opinion

WayCide-Ridah

Evergreen Hustlah
Sep 13, 2005
Tha Eva Green
the only classics i like are the kind u get at wendy's, not at sam goody's and definitely not no lil wayne lookin' all gangsta in an emo hoodie...lol for real tho, that shit rhymed, i'm harder than that foo lil weezy

May 7, 2002
it's unbelieveable that anyone would mention wu-tang forever as a classic but not mention 36 chambers. everything wu has put out has been ass compared to 36 chambers with the sole exception being only built for cuban link niggas. Not saying they haven't put out quality releases (tical, ironman, supreme cliental....) but enter the 36 chambers shits on wu-tang forever so hard that fecal matter is smeared all over the cd inserts

/rant :rolleyes:
I didn't list it because I haven't heard it.

I was raised on underground West Coast rap. I was 11 years-old and bumping Brotha Lynch and X-Raided. Most of my friends at the time were older than me. These friends were my only source for music. Sadly, none of them bothered to listen to anything other than West Coast shit. So as I grew older, I've had to educate myself on any rapper from the East/Midwest/Dirty South. So I still have a lot of catching up to do.

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
i wouldnt go as far as to call them classics,or even think they ever will be but definitely albums i apreciate a whole hell of a lot more now

masta ace-long hot summer
brother ali-shadwos on the sun
blackalicious-blazing arrow
the last emperor-music magic myth
vakill-the darkest cloud
canibus-rip the jacker
people under the stairs-OST
cormega- the true meaning

Nov 5, 2004
You should make this question a thread. Siccness stimulus package.

But for that question I would say Nas - Stillmatic and Jay-Z - Black Album. But then those were really, really good albums, and I had a strong feeling that I'd be listening to these albums in later years, and I do.

cannibal ox - cold vein
camp lo - uptown saturday night

I know the camp lo joint is older than 7 yrs old cann ox might be too.
I believe that Camp Lo came out in 98. That's the one with Luchini isn't it?

Jan 11, 2006
grouchoweed.ipbfree.com
it's unbelieveable that anyone would mention wu-tang forever as a classic but not mention 36 chambers. everything wu has put out has been ass compared to 36 chambers with the sole exception being only built for cuban link niggas. Not saying they haven't put out quality releases (tical, ironman, supreme cliental....) but enter the 36 chambers shits on wu-tang forever so hard that fecal matter is smeared all over the cd inserts

/rant :rolleyes:

How about Return to the 36 chambers? ODB's first solo album?

Apr 8, 2005
i can't listen to both of them albums all of the way thru. a classic to me is an album that you can listen to all of the way thru without skippin tracks.
a classic to me is an album that most have heard that listen to rap. like everyone damn near has heard both those albums, and when you think of tech or twista you think of those albums. they stand out, maybe not to me musically, but they still stand out. so while i cant bump those albums all the way through, i respect them as classic.