De La Hoya Vs. Mayweather Jr. is on!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
I don't know how people can just count DLH out.

They are fighting at 154. PBF just started his 147 session. Jumping to 154 to fight DLH is not an easy task. Add 6 more pounds to that and you are fighting Jermain Taylor. PBF is pushing it.

The odds will open in PBF's favor though...for sure.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
2-0-Sixx said:
Pffft.

Oscar doesn't stand a chance
I'm picking DLH by KTFO....

Floyd's best chance is to "try" to outbox DLH and hope that DLH fights his fight. Floyd needs to turn this into a peek-a-boo defensive chess match much like DLH's fight against Whitaker.

All DLH needs to do is man up and pressure Floyd.
He needs to turn this into a brawl....

Judging by how strong DLH looked against Mayorga and judging by how weak Floyd looked against Baldomir, I gotta go with DLH.
Floyd was quick compared to a slow Baldomir, but punched like a bag of feathers at 147. It's even worse for him at 154. In fact DLH doesn't even have to respect his punching, and I get the feeling that DLH won't.
If so, I picture DLH not falling in Floyd's trap of turning this into a boxing match. He's going to brawl against him. I think DLH truly believes he can match his speed (I agree there) at the very least. However it's DLH's power that will make the difference in this fight....

May 5, 2002
enserio said:
Speeds is negated by timing. This fight will not be as one-sided as some might think.
lol u cant time if u dont have speed. lol cmon now

how u gonna time 4 a target u to slow to hit if its moved by the time ur punch reaches the point u aimed it @

May 5, 2002
714KaliHydro said:
I don't know how people can just count DLH out.

They are fighting at 154. PBF just started his 147 session. Jumping to 154 to fight DLH is not an easy task. Add 6 more pounds to that and you are fighting Jermain Taylor. PBF is pushing it.

The odds will open in PBF's favor though...for sure.
Im not counting DLH out.
I didnt say it wouldnt be a fight. But a victory is a victory. And Floyd will put on a show to beat DLH, because he'll HAVE TO put on a show to beat DLH, simply because he isnt a pushover or journeyman.
But i think Floyd is continually growing. And to compare DLH to B Hop is stupid (when u want to discuss why u count age is as a factor). Thats why DLH got KO'd by B Hop. Lol just cuz one 35+ year old did it doesnt mean they all can, cmon now thats common sense. ANd look at B Hop's last losses. ANd to put Floyd on the same level as Tarver is dumb as fuck. He lost to B Hop because B Hop is a master boxer, as is Floyd!

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
4fif,

He's talking about the ability to neutralize speed with a jab.
Much like Tarver did against Roy Jones.
It takes one hell of a well trained jab to get the job done though.

But I wouldn't put too much stock in the speed argument.
DLH is very fast at 154, if anything, Floyd's speed will take a small hit as he moves up.

May 5, 2002
miggidy said:
4fif,

He's talking about the ability to neutralize speed with a jab.
Much like Tarver did against Roy Jones.
It takes one hell of a well trained jab to get the job done though.

But I wouldn't put too much stock in the speed argument.
DLH is very fast at 154, if anything, Floyd's speed will take a small hit as he moves up.

LOL RJJ didnt have ANY SPEED by that fight. So to time that shit wasnt hard to do. Mayweather can also fight going backwards as well as sideways. Have any of you ever seen my boy Emmaual Burton fight because he's the prime example why speed neutralizes power and timing. RJJ also left his hands down because he thought he had a jaw as strong as Jesus. Floyd DOES NOT do that! Lol Floyd speed is not slowing down is the thing. Also what people never seem to talk about is Mayweathers advantageously long arms

Nov 1, 2005
QUOTE FROM MAYWEATHER SR. ....."This is a case of greed overcoming common sense," Mayweather Sr. said. "He's going to pay for getting greedy. He sees those dollars, but it's not about him wanting to fight Oscar, it's about him wanting to hurt his daddy.

"But he's going to have a surprise, because little Floyd is going to wind up on his ass. Little Floyd is fighting out of his weight class. Oscar definitely would knock him out.

"Once in a while, the good little man beats a bigger man, but that's usually when the little man has way, way, way more talent. But that's not the case here."

May 6, 2002
4fifteenRolla said:
Im not counting DLH out.
I didnt say it wouldnt be a fight. But a victory is a victory. And Floyd will put on a show to beat DLH, because he'll HAVE TO put on a show to beat DLH, simply because he isnt a pushover or journeyman.
But i think Floyd is continually growing. And to compare DLH to B Hop is stupid (when u want to discuss why u count age is as a factor). Thats why DLH got KO'd by B Hop. Lol just cuz one 35+ year old did it doesnt mean they all can, cmon now thats common sense. ANd look at B Hop's last losses. ANd to put Floyd on the same level as Tarver is dumb as fuck. He lost to B Hop because B Hop is a master boxer, as is Floyd!
I didn't say anything about age. I was talking about weight.
Nor did I put Floyd in the same sentance as Tarver.

If Mayweather is such a lock for you then drop some money on the line...
I would assume Floyd will open at a 2.5 to 1 favorite.

Dec 9, 2005
surcaliman said:
QUOTE FROM MAYWEATHER SR. ....."This is a case of greed overcoming common sense," Mayweather Sr. said. "He's going to pay for getting greedy. He sees those dollars, but it's not about him wanting to fight Oscar, it's about him wanting to hurt his daddy.

"But he's going to have a surprise, because little Floyd is going to wind up on his ass. Little Floyd is fighting out of his weight class. Oscar definitely would knock him out.

"Once in a while, the good little man beats a bigger man, but that's usually when the little man has way, way, way more talent. But that's not the case here."

Thank you. I don't see how people can just count Oscar out, he's the bigger, stronger fighter coming in to this. I don't even know if Floyd has the power at that weight class to even hurt Oscar.

May 6, 2002
Do people even realize that Floyd JUST started getting PPV fights about a year or two ago? That's because all he fought were class B fighters. He was always bitching about not getting the big money...well Oscar is finally giving it to him.

Gatti, Judah, and Baldomir...all B+ fighters gave Floyd his glory.
Until then he was still fighting on HBO Boxing after dark or as an undercard bitching about "I want bigger fights" but continued to duck Hatton, Tsyzu, Margarito, and anyone else who could pose a threat.

37-0 straight padded...

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=000352

Nov 7, 2005
714KaliHydro said:
Do people even realize that Floyd JUST started getting PPV fights about a year or two ago? That's because all he fought were class B fighters. He was always bitching about not getting the big money...well Oscar is finally giving it to him.

Gatti, Judah, and Baldomir...all B+ fighters gave Floyd his glory.
Until then he was still fighting on HBO Boxing after dark or as an undercard bitching about "I want bigger fights" but continued to duck Hatton, Tsyzu, Margarito, and anyone else who could pose a threat.

37-0 straight padded...

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=000352
I agree. I think the only "A" fighter that he's fought to this point was Jose Luis Castillo and I thought Castillo won their first fight. The second one I had 7 rounds to 5 for Mayweather, though. De La Hoya will be stronger and faster than Castillo with much better boxing skills. I can't picture Floyd hurting DLH either, he couldn't hurt Baldomir he definitely won't hurt Oscar. On the other hand Floyd was hurt by Demarcus Corley so Oscar can easily hurt Floyd if he catches him with something. I just hope Floyd doesn't try to potshot his way to victory like a couple of weaks ago , because if he was afraid of Baldomir's size and strength wait till you see Oscar next to him.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
2-0-Sixx said:
^^I'm not saying he hasn't took easy fights, but what about Diego Corrales? PBF straight whooped his ass
I remember seeing that fight and Mayweather made him look bad. Chico is a good fighter.... but he can be hit.

May 6, 2002
2-0-Sixx said:
^^I'm not saying he hasn't took easy fights, but what about Diego Corrales? PBF straight whooped his ass
Not trying to get too technical, but that was almost 6 years ago (Jan 2001), and rumors comming into the fight Chico was having serious managerial as well as family problems. Then shortly after his loss he beat his wife, his manager ditched him, and got locked up for 2 years. His biggest fight before PBF was Gainer (one dimensional stick) and Manfredy (props on that, Manfredy fan here).

Yes, it was a great win but in my opinion it is a bit diluted with the circumstances and the time of the fight.
It's like putting Vince Phillips up there for beating Tsyzu, it was a long ass time ago.

May 6, 2002
For the record, I think PBF will win a decision. He will lose a couple of the first 6, and most likely almost sweep the second half (116-112). But if DLH wins, I wouldn't consider it an upset.