De La Hoya Vs. Mayweather Jr. is on!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 7, 2005
Oscar-Floyd is on for May 5!

By Karl Freitag

Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather have reached an agreement to fight on May 5. The fight was finalized today. The bout will be promoted by Golden Boy Promotions. "We are not going to comment what the deal is," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told Fightnews.com. "It's a fair deal and if the pay-per-view hits the numbers which we anticipate it will, it will be new record payday for both guys.....It's going to be big. It's clearly the biggest fight in boxing and I think it's the kind of fight which will transcend and which will clearly capture the interest of the American public and the American sports fans, because it is Mayweather pound-for-pound number one fighter in the sport against Oscar, the most popular and biggest name in the sport. Actually I was looking today at my trophy case, Oscar's trophy case in our office and I was standing in front of one of the belts which was a ring belt that had 'Oscar De La Hoya, pound for pound' on it, and it was 1997. So here we are ten years later and the question is, can he do it again?"

"Oscar realizes this is a dangerous fight," continued Schaefer. "He realizes that he's going in as the underdog, but this is what exactly motivates him, this is what gets him going, this is what he is about and what his entire career is all about. Always going for the biggest challenges. I think that was what his active career was that what he'll be remembered for. The guy who always took on the biggest and the best."

Source: www.fightnews.com

Oct 18, 2003
who else is there to dodge he already dodged most all of them he just wants another pay day and no one will pay like this match up. de la hoya's gonna take it. he shows heart, determination and skill and he's fought the best of them. most of all he's a smart fighter and mayweather has'nt seen nothing of his caliber. i'm rooting for de la hoya. mayweather still has some respect to earn and may have bit off more than he can chew!

May 5, 2002
i think Mayweather comes in as an underdog. WHich i like for him. B/c DLH will press the fight and that sets up Mayweather for counter punching, sticking n moving all night. DLH is old. going from one weight class to the next is hurtin his body. Im sure his speed has decreased, and his body wont be able to take body punches, as we saw with B-Hop. Granted Mayweather doesnt have the pop of B Hop, when an old fighter is tired those fast punches will add up to equal a few big shots, and Mayweather really has nothing to lose.

Apr 7, 2005
www.myspace.com
surcaliman said:
wonder if f.mayweather sr. will be in oscar's corner for this one.
BLOOD IS THICKER THEN WATER....BUT NOT THICKER THEN MONEY!!

LMAO!!

Sr. could really be an advantage to Jr. if they get to choppin' it up about DLHs inside info, na mean.

I think it's going to be a GREAT fight, and if Jr. can keep his hand from breaking, he will BEAT THE MAKEUP OFF THAT TENDER ASS BEEZY!!

LMAO@"the brothas better watch out if Floyd wins"

I remember when DLH beat Chavez......the WHOLE bar I was at was scrappin'.....I miss that bar.

Apr 8, 2004
Didn't they already fight just last year or some shit?
I remember seein De La Hoya get wooped on HBO or PPV bout a year ago by somebody. I thought it was Mayweather.
But Oscar De La Hoya ain't finna woop Floyd Jr in May. Yall crazy.
De La Hoya ain't on nothin no mo'. He just want a check fa real, fa real.