Cuttoff Age For Rappers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 23, 2008
First person comes to mind is "e40", being that he's 43.. then i think about too short (age 45), c-bo (age 38), richie-rich (age 43) and spice-1 (age 41). it makes me wonder, "do these rappers really plan on rappin' until they're in their 50's or will they retire and just do tours?" i'd like to know the thoughts on age and should it play a factor in one's career when r u too old??or is the general consensus that age is not a factor.. THOUGHTS?

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
I think if there's a cut off age for rappers that's like saying Raps not a real genre. Nobody says 40 year old country and rock singers should retire. Plus if E40 retires ill never listen to a new rap album again. Also some of the old dudes are still better than young rappers so fuck that.

C-4

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
E-40 has stood the test of time better than any other rapper ever, period. While some rappers as they get older, their style gets older, it gets boring, stale, and played out, E-40 has time and time again reinvented himself, not only keeping himself fresh to his core audience, but he is still very much a relevant factor in the music industry.

B.C.

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2005
I was just thinking about this question the other day. There isn't a certain age but some rappers over 40 years old should definitely think about being behind the scenes. I think that 40 should keep doing it until he's ready to retire. Plus some of these young dudes need to be laced with game so why not get it from one of the best game spitters ever.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
No Age Limit....Their Is Always A Market Out Their Where Fans Will Support Their Artist!! Age Is Just A Number Talent Is Not Given Its A Gift

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
there's no cutoff because if you're making music people wanna hear and if you can create the momentum behind your name there can always be an exception to any rule.

it's just hella hard to stay relevant when you're old. the cards are stacked against you.

Apr 25, 2002
E-40 has time and time again reinvented himself,
i wouldnt say 40 has re-invented himself. he sounds like an aged version of his 90's self. he just understands the business and understands what the youngians want. even tho its relatively on a regional scale, he knows what to make to have'em buy.

however. i think theres a cut off age for "nobodys". not sayin a nobody cant be a somebody in the industry. just be realistic. unfortunatly, underground arent realistic about the music industry.

emma

Sicc OG
Apr 5, 2006
i don't think there's any cutoff age for talented artists who are already established in the rap game.

however, i do think that at a certain point, for people who haven't already "made it" by the time they're in their 30s or so, they should probably give up on trying to make that a career, because it's probably not gonna happen at that point.

but even so, there's nothing wrong with continuing to make music as a hobby at any age.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
When older rappers try to hard to jump on younger generation styles and swagger - It's kinda like the college guy, at the high school party.

BUT when they just do themselves, and push there OWN creativity there is no limit at all. E40 can make music until he's on his death bed... I'ma still listen, like when ppl still listen to any legendary greats in music, acting and comedy.

HIM

Sicc OG
Sep 27, 2002
Rap is relatively a young genre..back in the days you were only hot for a few years then someone else replaced you...These days rappers have the chance to last several decades...The Dr. Dre's, E-40's, Snoop, etc. have the best chance a being able to make music, tour and still be able to make money in rap....I dont even know if I would want to go to my favorite rappers show or buy his music talking s--t about killin, thuggin, etc. when he is in his late 40's...after a while, its like "ok now brotha...you have grandchildren now..."..im not saying stop rapping or making music, but I would hope at that age you're not still talking about the same s--t...I expect a "young" rapper to talk wreckless in his music, but not a 40 something year old rapper, still talking about moving major weight, or gang banging, but still aint caught a case....hopefully by then he has enough money to sick back and live off his investments or rapping as a hobby instead of a necessity to live...

Then again, as I get older, perhaps my favorite rappers wont be catering to my age demographics anymore....Although I still listen to rap these days, I also find myself listening to more soul, jazz, easy listening etc. music anyway....Rap is still entertaining, especially the older stuff, but i've calmed down a lot over the years so rap just doesnt play as important role....