Crabtree or Heyward-Bey

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Which Rookie WR Will Have The Most Productive Season In The Bay Area?

• Micheal Crabtree:49ers

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • Darrius Heyward-Bey:Raiders

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Crabtree is the guy you don't want on your team because he thinks he's better than he really is. Most of his TD's came off of that same bubble screen play from the spread formation. How will he do going against these DB's on the professional level? I can't see him beating man coverage that often at this level. We don't even know how fast this cat is... Plus he was injured and didn't want to be a Raider anyway.

Jan 18, 2006
^^^ damn good points Tony, Crabtree is as overhyped as it gets. Not only do i think hes not gonna beat cornerbacks really but i really wanna see how hes gonna be coming of this injury. I think hes as risky as of a investment as it gets and he swears he can get hella money just cuz of his name.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Seriously, I am not trying to talk bad about the dude because he's gotta have some kind of talent but when you watch the vids, he's not beating or burning people. He's running in the open field all the time. I'll give him credit for setting up and reading his blocks but that's it. He didn't run the 40 yard dash and like you said he's coming off of a foot injury. Why would the Niners pay all that money when he'll probably listed at 3 on the depth chart anyway? He's not beating out Bruce and Morgan is hot (from what I've been hearing/reading) I agree it's risky and the Niners know it. That's why he's not signed yet. The Niners did him a favor by drafting him and now he wants to act like a sucka. Crabtree is living up to that diva hype.... Cleveland was interested but then got turned off after meeting with him. Now we're beginning to see why!

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
Tony, Mike showed last year he wont put up with big ego's so that is reason enough to believe his attitude wont be a problem.

May 30, 2006
Most of his TD's came off of that same bubble screen play from the spread formation. How will he do going against these DB's on the professional level? I can't see him beating man coverage that often at this level. We don't even know how fast this cat is..

Slow mothafuckas don't make mass amount of touchdowns off screens....To take off on a screen requires u to out run and zig zag thru a whole lot of mothafuckas.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
True that, but that was at the collegiate level and he set up his blocks pretty good. Reggie Bush used to do the samething at the collegiate level but once he hit the pros those big plays slowed down. Crabtree won't be zigging and zagging through NFL defenses like that. How will he do going up against some of the best DB's in the NFL in straight up man coverage? We already know he's not all that fast....

Jan 12, 2006
Heyward-Bey dropped four spirals Monday in the Raiders' first padded practice with actual contact since training camp opened six days earlier in Napa. He also caught his fair share, including two deep throws over the middle with touchdown potential.

But oh, those drops. It's hard to notice when little-known Jonathan Holland puts one on the grass. It's hard to ignore when it's a No. 7 overall draft pick who just signed a contract with $23.5 million guaranteed and plenty of critics to disprove.

Apr 25, 2002
I can't see him beating man coverage that often at this level.
Luckily, the people who get paid to know about football don't agree with you.

^^^ damn good points Tony, Crabtree is as overhyped as it gets. Not only do i think hes not gonna beat cornerbacks really but i really wanna see how hes gonna be coming of this injury. I think hes as risky as of a investment as it gets and he swears he can get hella money just cuz of his name.
Overhyped? I'll agree he was seriously hyped up before the draft, but for good reason. Had the raiders not fucked up and taken Heyward-Bey AND if Crabtree weren't on the Niners, you two wouldn't have anything bad to say about the guy. But since your dumbass owner chose the fast guy over the guy everyone actually thinks will be GOOD, you have to hate on him.

I don't think Heyward-Bey is very good. He will be a one-trick pony. But I'm not gonna sit here and talk shit about the guy just because he's on the raiders. If he turns out to be successful, good for him. If not, then nobody except Al Davis will be surprised about the fact that he was taken WAY too early. He was not the best receiver in the draft.. Hell, he was not even the 2nd best receiver in the draft (Maclin > Heyward-Bey) and you can even make an argument for Percy Harvin being better than him.

It's funny how only raider fans think Crabtree won't be any good. Analysts and draft experts as well as fans of every other team in the NFL think he will be a very good receiver, but the all-so-knowledgeable (*sarcasm*) raider fans don't agree.

Oh well, not a big deal.

Why would the Niners pay all that money when he'll probably listed at 3 on the depth chart anyway? He's not beating out Bruce and Morgan is hot (from what I've been hearing/reading) I agree it's risky and the Niners know it.
He's not expected to beat out Bruce or Morgan. He will be Josh Morgan's backup no matter what happens this year (by the way, not every receiver position is the same.. Brandon Jones is Isaac Bruce's backup, Crabtree will be Morgan's backup and Jason Hill will man the slot). The plan is to groom him and allow him to take over Morgan's spot when Morgan takes over Bruce's spot next year. The Niners won't be paying him just for his rookie season, genius. He's not even expected to be a big-time contributor because of the depth we have at WR (supposedly the best depth we've ever had).

We already know he's not all that fast....
Neither was Jerry Rice.

This isn't Madden. Speed is not the only thing that matters. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be.

Heyward-Bey dropped four spirals Monday in the Raiders' first padded practice with actual contact since training camp opened six days earlier in Napa. He also caught his fair share, including two deep throws over the middle with touchdown potential.

But oh, those drops. It's hard to notice when little-known Jonathan Holland puts one on the grass. It's hard to ignore when it's a No. 7 overall draft pick who just signed a contract with $23.5 million guaranteed and plenty of critics to disprove.
The main knock on Heyward-Bey leading up to the draft was his suspect hands. That is nothing new.

I am not trying to talk shit about the guy, but wouldn't you think good hands would be an important attribute to have when considering a WR? Apparently Al Davis doesn't think so, as long as the guy is fast.

Jan 18, 2006
Actually im not to high on either receiver and wish my team would have got Jackson (Eagles) last season if they were to draft a receiver. I mean he didnt get drafted till the late second round right? Im not being biased when it comes to Crabtree. Its always a gamble when you draft someone in the first round especially a receiver, seems its always the late rounders that actually become worth a shit. Are you seriously gonna say your not worried he might not perform as good as he did before the foot surgery?

Jan 4, 2003

ha at least he's out there practicing... where tha fuck is CRABTREES wannabe top 5 pick paid nigga at??"?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I like how Fatal is already building in an excuse for Crabtree.... 1st round picks are supposed to contribute immediately (unless you're a qb). Why even draft him if he's not going to play?

And for the record Jerry Rice was all that fast. How many times did Jerry get caught from behind? And he said it himself that he didn't even run the 40 yard dash so him running a 4.6 is a rumor! So throw those Rice/Crabtree comparisons away.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/72141/index.html?eref=sihp

"Rice also said he never ran a 4.6 40 before he was drafted. He said he didn't run at the NFL scouting combine. And besides, Rice pointed out players have a different gear when they're being chases."

I'll go on record right now and say Crabtree is going to be a "BUST"!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_12993594?nclick_check=1

Rookie wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey showed marked improvement in practice on the heels of a rough first five days in camp.

He caught 14 of 16 passes thrown his way in the afternoon session and had a few nice plays on errant passes in the morning practice. That helped offset two dropped passes and his inability to hang on to a tipped ball that bounced into his arms in the morning practice.

"He's getting better and better, day by day," Russell said. "He's a bit jittery. He would like to do so good to a point where he's making himself nervous. The best thing for him to do is relax. He knows what to do."

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/08/04/dhb-receivers-catching-on/

Quick hits following Tuesday’s second practice:

Looking for some good news about Darrius Heyward-Bey?

How about 16 passes targeted, 14 receptions. No. 11 was a one-handed snag near the sideline. One of the misses was on a low pass, the other could well have been a pass interference penalty on Chris Johnson, with the ball falling to the ground.

– DHB wasn’t the only one. It’s possible Will Franklin has dropped as many passes as Heyward-Bey since the beginning of camp, but no one knows it because, well, he’s Will Franklin. Franklin caught everything thrown his way Tuesday afternoon, including one sideline dart from JaMarcus Russell in front of Nnamdi Asomugha.

– Russell wasn’t as sharp in full team sessions as he was in 7-on-7 and drills, but there were sequences where he threw the ball very well. Better than at any open sessions during the offseason, and more consistently than any time during training camp last year.

– OK, there was one bad-hands sequnce during passing drills when Louis Murphy, Chaz Schilens and Jonathan Holland dropped passes in succession, although you could argue that they weren’t the easiest chances.

May 30, 2006
http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/08/04/dhb-receivers-catching-on/

Quick hits following Tuesday’s second practice:

Looking for some good news about Darrius Heyward-Bey?

How about 16 passes targeted, 14 receptions. No. 11 was a one-handed snag near the sideline. One of the misses was on a low pass, the other could well have been a pass interference penalty on Chris Johnson, with the ball falling to the ground.

– DHB wasn’t the only one. It’s possible Will Franklin has dropped as many passes as Heyward-Bey since the beginning of camp, but no one knows it because, well, he’s Will Franklin. Franklin caught everything thrown his way Tuesday afternoon, including one sideline dart from JaMarcus Russell in front of Nnamdi Asomugha.

– Russell wasn’t as sharp in full team sessions as he was in 7-on-7 and drills, but there were sequences where he threw the ball very well. Better than at any open sessions during the offseason, and more consistently than any time during training camp last year.

– OK, there was one bad-hands sequnce during passing drills when Louis Murphy, Chaz Schilens and Jonathan Holland dropped passes in succession, although you could argue that they weren’t the easiest chances.
AND?

Jan 18, 2006
lol @ Craptree, signing isnt sounding like the easiest thing for the Niners to do right now. Rich Eisen from the NFL Network was talking to Popovich about it yesterday on FSN