common smashing drake again !

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
its funny though...since most of commons catalogue after 1996 = "sweet" stuff bruh
You must be talking about a different COMMON. COMMON always comes with heat. Don't be fooled by that made up image of him being "conscious" or "safe". His lyrics have always been sharp and now his knife just got sharper. WHEEL CHAIR JIMMY betta STAND UP!!! HA HA HA HA

Apr 25, 2002
fuck drake.. Common way better...

but Ludacris... already killed drake on the mic..
he can't battle anyone.. he's weak sauce..

FACT : Drakes real name AUBREY(bitch name) started his carrer as a actor on Degrassi (a teen show) FACT: Drake was born in Toronto, Canada (NOT HOOD) FACT: This nigga raps about shit he aint capable of.!! (i.e CATCH A BODY)FACT: This nigga is the fakest rapper out now!!!!

lol

but you think Common was capable of physicaly throwin down with WC or Mack 10? Cube at that? who gives a fuck if Drake aint hood and talkin bout catchin bodies. Common was on Rick Ross song. is Ross the most "realest" rapper.

Common just sound butt hurt that Drake makin more in less than 25 than Common made in 30+.

Apr 25, 2002
You must be talking about a different COMMON. COMMON always comes with heat. Don't be fooled by that made up image of him being "conscious" or "safe". His lyrics have always been sharp and now his knife just got sharper. WHEEL CHAIR JIMMY betta STAND UP!!! HA HA HA HA
so the conscious/safe rap Common came up on is fake? thats the same way he raps still. i dont think thats fake. its his shit. hes a soft rapper with no mainstream appeal, though i like his acting skills. the dirtiest i ever heard him was on "Make Her Say".

Mar 11, 2011
but you think Common was capable of physicaly throwin down with WC or Mack 10? Cube at that? who gives a fuck if Drake aint hood and talkin bout catchin bodies. Common was on Rick Ross song. is Ross the most "realest" rapper.

Common just sound butt hurt that Drake makin more in less than 25 than Common made in 30+.
Rick Ross is pretty authenticate from what I can gather. He lost a little credibility when Kreayshawn almost put mittens on his fat ass but other than that dude seems solid as them bricks on the wall

Apr 25, 2002
Rick Ross is pretty authenticate from what I can gather. He lost a little credibility when Kreayshawn almost put mittens on his fat ass but other than that dude seems solid as them bricks on the wall
from what i gather Ross was a prison guard. with that said, i dont care if he did that and is a boss rapper now. its just funny style when you combine that aspect with Common, the soft rappin cinima-goon gettin on Drakes ass.

thass all my dude.

Apr 25, 2002
i agree with pretty much everything in this:

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/0...mon-versus-drake-the-silliest-rap-battle-ever

Drake’s a lover, not a fighter. And if Common never attacked him on “Sweet” it might have been better for everybody.
Written by Touré. (@Toure)

In R&B it’s said that we separate the adults from the kids by how well they sing ballads. In hip-hop the proving ground is the battle rhyme. That’s where we find out something about you that we can’t see any other way. When MCs are barking at each other on wax and trading disses, we see another level of intensity and grit. A particular portrait of an MC’s true character emerges when he battles, and how you fare in a big battle becomes a permanent part of your image.

I like Common. He’s got hip-hop cred and crossover love. He can act in an AMC western like Hell On Wheels and perform at the White House and record with Maya Angelou. So how does battling anyone help his brand?
But that doesn’t mean everyone has to battle. Many of my favorite MCs have never battled and I’m fine with that. If battling’s not what you’re about, if it doesn’t fit with who you are as an MC, I won’t hold it against you that you haven’t. It’s a great, fascinating part of the culture but it’s not a necessary rite of passage for every single MC.

Common’s 1996 battle against Ice Cube aided his career by showing us another side of him and injecting a new level of respect into his image. But if he’d never battled Cube I wouldn’t have thought less of him. And if he’d never attacked Drake I think it might’ve been better for everyone.

Common vs Drake is one of the silliest battles ever. I mean, really? I know Common. I like Common. I respect Common. He’s an elder statesman and a thoughtful dude, a great guy and a musical seeker who’s intelligently explored new sonic avenues throughout his career. He’s got hip-hop cred and crossover love. He can act in an AMC western like Hell On Wheels and perform at the White House and record with Maya Angelou. So how does battling anyone help his brand? And does battling Drake in particular help his brand at all? I think not.

Drake’s a lover, not a fighter. He’s the Ladies Man, a hip-hop/R&B hybrid. Is he “sweet,” as Common alleges? Well, yeah. But he’s never claimed to be hard. One of the best possible disses in a battle is a variation of “You’re not who you say you are.” That unmasking is embarrassing.

Drake’s the Ladies Man, a hip-hop/R&B hybrid. Is he 'sweet,' as Common alleges? Well, yeah. But he’s never claimed to be hard.
Hip-hop’s supposed to be suffused with honesty and integrity and when someone reminds me an MC is actually more of a professional wrestler playing a role, that damages how I feel about them. It sticks in my mind and as I listen to their rhymes I perceive them differently.

But Drake is indeed “sweet”—as in, emotional, sensitive, un-hard. That’s what he’s trying to be! His fans love him for his emotional openness, so calling him “sweet” is pointless. It would make about as much sense as someone calling The Weeknd or Maxwell sweet and trying to battle them.

This battle is silly—even if Drake was first to send out subliminals, which would also be ridiculous. Drake shouldn’t be dissing anyone. That’s not what he’s about and it’s not what he needs to be about. Chasing ladies and baring his soul works for him. Playing the dozens with other MCs is unnecessary. Subliminals (whether real or perceived) happen all the time and just because someone sends a subliminal your way doesn’t mean you have to say, “Well, allow me to retort!” and pull out your lyrical weapons.

Drake vs Common is kinda like two Harvard graduate students in those letter H sweaters placing down their books and putting up their dukes to throw soft punches at each other. Or maybe like two cute puppies woofing at each other.

Does Common actually score points on “Sweet?” I always feel that in a battle you score points by saying embarrassing things about the other guy. If you make him look ridiculous, and make the crowd laugh, you score points. If you can express such a deep level of disdain for your enemy that the audience is forced to see him in a new way, you score points. Ultimately, disses must have the force of truth behind them to really work.

Think of Ice Cube in “No Vaseline,” making it hard to take N.W.A seriously when you recall their white manager Jerry Heller is in control—“White man just ruling/The Niggas Wit Attitude?/Who you fooling?”

In a battle you score points by saying embarrassing things about the other guy. If you make him look ridiculous and make the crowd laugh, you score points... If the audience is forced to see him in a new way, you score points. Ultimately, disses must have the force of truth behind them to really work.
On “Second Round K.O.,” Canibus reduces LL Cool J to a lesser rapper with, “Mad at me cause I kick that shit real niggas feel/While 99% of your fans wear high heels.”

On “Ether” Nas literally sonned Jay when he said, “My child, I’ve watched you grow up to be famous/And now I smile like a proud dad, watching his only son that made it.”

On “The Bitch In Yoo” Common unmasks Cube as “a Muslim drinking brew” who’s not nearly as hood as he presents himself: “Hypocrite, I’m filling out your Death Certificate!” So what from “Sweet” could be added to this litany?

Not much. It’s mostly a resume song, a chest-beating rhyme about how great Common is, how long he’s been around, how hard he used to be. His best diss in the song is, “hip-hop Master Cleansing/I’ma get my shit off.” It’s a nice double entendre and a smart, funny metaphor that posits hip-hop as a body and Common as the cleansing agent that enters the body and makes it better, healthier, stronger, and clears out the toxic elements. Following the metaphor to its literal end Common makes hip-hop go to the bathroom and shit out Drake.

But I don’t relish seeing Common in this posture at this point in his career. If you are attacked by an MC like Ice Cube you have every right to respond. If you feel like your city has been dissed you have every right to respond. If you want to jolt yourself up the fame ladder by attacking a top-level lyrical MC—ie, KRS vs MC Shan or Canibus vs LL—that’s cool. If you want to attack the King of New York to puff yourself up—as Tupac did or as Jay-Z did (back when Nas was the King of New York)—that’s cool. But if you want to remind us how bad-ass you are by beating on Drake, what does that really prove? Just say no.

Common’s respect and attention levels are high. He didn’t need this. Surely he knows how important it is to choose your battles wisely. You want to be battling people who it’s good for you to be battling. Common vs Cube was a great look for Common that improved his brand and became a sterling part of his resume. Common vs Drake is a smudge on his resume that he may one day wish he could erase.

Dec 14, 2011
but you think Common was capable of physicaly throwin down with WC or Mack 10? Cube at that? who gives a fuck if Drake aint hood and talkin bout catchin bodies.
Sir, I don't usually get into these "which rapper can beat up who" type of debates but.. Who's to say he couldn't physically throw own with WC or Mack 10? Not only is he from the Southside of Chicago, sir.. but he used to have a reputation for fighting and wilding out when he was younger.

Apr 25, 2002
my point, player. yeah, Common is physicaly capable of throwin'em. he got 2 arms with attached fists, fa'sho he's capable. but he aint, and he wasnt. just like Drake aint gonna catch a body.

Apr 20, 2005
common's reason for beefing is gay as fuck whether he can fight or not. but WC? sheeyit. WC wouldve knocked common off his berkenstocks D-Bo style. I dont care how much karate and yoga classes common took. thats a different story though.

Common and Drake are damm near the same. They rap about massaging bitches feet and eatin pussy from the back with strawberries and whip cream and shit. This beef is a straight pillow fight man.

Apr 7, 2004
I don't get why people are trying to say common is doing this for sales. Last time I checked common has a tv show and does movies year round. Movie money and tv money is way better then cd sales money. I thought the verse was coo and pretty much bait. He gone wait to see what drake come with and then give him a lesson in hip-hop.

Dec 14, 2011
A
my point, player. yeah, Common is physicaly capable of throwin'em. he got 2 arms with attached fists, fa'sho he's capable. but he aint, and he wasnt. just like Drake aint gonna catch a body.
Sir, What are you even talking about? Last I checked Cube, nor Mack 10, nor Dub C stepped to Common and those guys are supposed to be gangsta. ("I seen you, you ain't say shit in ATL"). So there's no way to tell if "he ain't" or if "he wasn't" willing to throwdown. Aside from that point, Common has never claimed to be a tough guy and he's always thrown shots at fake/thug rappers. . That's what you stans don't seem to understand.

Sir, I honestly don't know what it is.. It's like you "new" hip hop fans have just turned into a bunch of pussies who get your feelings hurt when your favorite rapper gets criticized. It's disgusting, sir.

And "throwin'em" and "catchin a body" are 2 completely different things, sir.

Apr 25, 2002
sir, throwin'em and catchin bodies is referin to what they both aint gonna do, in their respective situation. you dug too deep on that shallow comment. i also didnt claim Common to be a tough guy. you did.

it will take you more than 16 posts to see im far from a new hip hop fan.

Oct 21, 2002
A

Sir, What are you even talking about? Last I checked Cube, nor Mack 10, nor Dub C stepped to Common and those guys are supposed to be gangsta. ("I seen you, you ain't say shit in ATL"). So there's no way to tell if "he ain't" or if "he wasn't" willing to throwdown. Aside from that point, Common has never claimed to be a tough guy and he's always thrown shots at fake/thug rappers. . That's what you stans don't seem to understand.

Sir, I honestly don't know what it is.. It's like you "new" hip hop fans have just turned into a bunch of pussies who get your feelings hurt when your favorite rapper gets criticized. It's disgusting, sir.

And "throwin'em" and "catchin a body" are 2 completely different things, sir.
he has a point