Bigbosstalk stop with the lies....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2002
Real Cost of iPhone: Service Plan Revealed

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:14PM EDT

At long last the final shoe on iPhone has dropped: The cost of voice and data plans that you'll have to buy from AT&T when you purchase the device. The good news: It's not as bad as some had feared. The bad news: It's still going to cost you a pretty penny if you're used to paying $40 a month for a basic service plan.

Here's the damage: $60 a month for 450 minutes. $80 for 900 minutes. $100 for 1350 minutes. If you need even more minutes, plans continue to climb up to $220 a month for a whopping 6000 minutes. The good news: All plans include unlimited email and web, rollover minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and 200 text messages a month. All except the cheapest plan include unlimited nights and weekends minutes; the cheapest plan includes a mere 5000 of those. Contrary to earlier rumors there is no voice-only option for the iPhone: Remember you need data service to do all the cool email/web/mapping business that makes iPhone an iPhone, otherwise you've pretty much got a pretty brick in your pocket that can play Avril Lavigne tunes. Additional details are here.

Is this a good deal? Let's compare. AT&T's cheapest voice-only plan costs $40 a month for 450 minutes, 5000 nights and weekend minutes, and no data services at all. (Even text messages are about 15 cents a pop.) Adding $20 a month for unlimited web isn't a bad deal. For the $60 of the iPhone's cheapest plan, you can get AT&T's 900-minute plan with no data service.

Looking at it another way, AT&T's Messaging Unlimited plan (unlimited MMS/SMS messages) costs $20 a month extra. Its unlimited messaging and media plan (which gives you access to cellular video as well) costs another $40 a month. The company has a variety of data plans for web browsing phones. The closest to what the iPhone gets you is SmartPhone Max, at $30 extra per month.

Whew, that's a lot of numbers. Putting it all together, designing a comparable plan to iPhone's $60 service on AT&T with a non-iPhone device would actually cost about $70 a month. Believe it or not, iPhone service is actually a bargain!

On the other hand, $60 a month or more isn't cheap. Over the life of the phone that equates to $1,440. Add in the price of the phone and activation fees and the cheapest amount you'll spend on an iPhone over the next two years is $1,975. You can almost buy a brand new MacBook Pro for that outlay. And don't forget the cancellation fee you'll pay on your old phone...

Overall I'm pleased. AT&T could have gouged consumers with a $100/month plan and few people would have flinched. Instead the company is offering an affordable option that should help to ease the sting of that initial $500 or $600 outlay. That said, I'm sure many will still find the plan too expensive. As always, I await your thoughts, opinions, and rants on the topic.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/31534

Jun 5, 2004
Lamberto Quintero said:
Honestly, what is the big deal about a cell phone? Even if he did have one or got to play around with one, who the fuck brags about that type of shit? That's like some elementary school type of shit.

LOL @ grown people who make such a huge deal about a cell phone.
who knows? i just know that a lot of people are gonna get JACKED for it, just like i went on ipod stealing sprees when they dropped. ima cop one as soon as i see somebody with one, lol

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
rose town ryda said:
who knows? i just know that a lot of people are gonna get JACKED for it, just like i went on ipod stealing sprees when they dropped. ima cop one as soon as i see somebody with one, lol
LOL, that's what I'm saying. Everybody's making a big deal about this and paying 600 dollars for a fuckin cell phone, only to either have it jacked or drop it and break it. A phone is a phone for crying outloud!

Jun 5, 2004
Lamberto Quintero said:
LOL, that's what I'm saying. Everybody's making a big deal about this and paying 600 dollars for a fuckin cell phone, only to either have it jacked or drop it and break it. A phone is a phone for crying outloud!
i feel u. unless it has a flip-out blowjobber or a built-in ass whiper with moist towelette... its just a dam phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.