Are you where you wanted to be?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 28, 2004
Are you really doing what you want to be doing right now?

I went to an art school for four years and I'm working in a bank. I call it my "mean-time" job. I am going to find some illustration work, but "in the mean time" I'm working for this bank. I've sold a few pieces of flash to people, for tattoo work they wanted. I've drawn up things for people who wanted ink, and a few got some of my art work done. I've also done a few wall paintings for friends and family. However, I never charge friends that much if at all. So, No, I am not where I want to be right now. I am trying to work out a way to get there with out digging myself into debt.

Are you at the job or place you wanted to be at by now? Did you go to school for something and you're doing it? ( or not ) What did you see yourself doing right about now when you were 16 or 17..?

If you're not where you want to be, do you have a plan?

May 14, 2002
Not at all.. when I made the decision for school I didn't know what I wanted to do for a living, and I still don't know what I want to do for a living. I'm 23 now. All I knew back then when I was 16, 17 I wanted to do "something" with computers that's why I'm in IT support right now.. at the moment I'm working at T-Mobile with a job that's less responsible then I had when I was 17 when I was still working via school as an interm (sp?)

Now I'm at a point I know I don't want to have anything to do with computers and I want to escape the office, not knowing what else to do so I'm stuck here for the moment.. but I'm not planning to waste my one life away doing something for a living I don't like or is mentally killing me slowly like working in a office is..

My plan is: quit this job go to spain for 2 months to learn spanish. Come back here and work a bit (any kind will do) register for school in Feb. 2007 I still don't know what I want to do so I don't know which education yet. But I have until then to figure it out and a few months before feb go to South America alone or with a friend of mine to travel around a few months before going to school.. and after all that.. maybe start something of my own in Spain or another country where the weather and economy is better then in Holland.

but money is a fucking bitch

Jan 1, 2006
You're going to spain to learn spanish? That's like jumping in the deep end and learning to swim.

Besides, in Latin America, we barely speak Castillian anyway. Get Spanish Hooked on Phonics and play dominoes outside the bodega every night. You'll learn much quicker.

May 12, 2002
^^^lol, true.

in my case, i got a good job, bought a house, have a new car, get my son every saturday. but in return i live in a city that i had never heard of until i met my sons mother. its fucking depressing!

reza

Sicc OG
Jun 9, 2005
Hell no...I'm working in retail right now.

I graduate from college this spring with a degree in Accounting. I'm trying to find a part-time job involving acct. but i can't find shit. I can't stand retail. I'm just waiting for june till i earn my degree then i can work full-time.

Apr 25, 2002
fuck no i aint any were close to were i want to be. took me too long to get my HS diploma and too long to get a shitty full time job , hopefully this is for now cuz i plan to go to jc in the summer and try to play football next spring

Oct 9, 2004
i wanted to be a radio dj when i was 16 or 17 but i saw that producing & makin music is way better.... im half way where i want to be... give it a few more years and i'll be there.

Aug 4, 2005
www.flossalini.com
Hell yeah... I'm well on my way to where I wanna be, due to sticking to the script and never settling. Shit, I work in the mortgage industry so I can learn about houses and real estae, own 2 whips, just bought a house... and in my hood so I own a peice of my block, I'm CEO of my own entertainment company, run my own website, make my own DVD's, and just made a beat that Keak Da Smeak rapped on for a mixtape... and I aint even a producer. This is life... and like I said before, I was happy trying to get to Too Short's status in the 90's, so untill I get there... I aint worried with trying to go platinum yet... That's the next phase. So name a couple local rappers that own they own home... shit name some that even got a home. And more than anything... I did it all by myself with no one elses money... not even drug money, just connections and established relationships with the right people.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
not at all , I spent a grip of money on a recording school but had too many bills to take on an internship so I now work at a real estate company. At least its a respectable job that pays half decent but it isn't what I particularly want to do. At least I'm making enough money that I can buy my own gear and do it on the side.

Apr 5, 2005
I'm far away from where I want to be. I'm 23 turning 24 in July. I have maybe a few college credits under my belt. I just got a shit job and start on monday. But I'm still looking for a better job as we speak to generate more income. I will be going back to school in the fall while working full-time. My goal is to earn a degree before I am 29. Yeah to most people think 29 is pretty old, but it's better than being a 29 yr old man looking for a stable job without a degree. Atleast I would have a degree with a good paying job.

I'm telling you guys. Get your degree while you are young and don't waste your time partying. You may think you're in your prime but when you get older you wont have shit to show for! I have my regrets. You will know when you are actually in your PRIME.

KALYN

Sicc OG
Dec 11, 2002
Hmm.. good topic Crow.. I've been sitting here for about 10 mins just thinking.. thinking about where I am and where I thought I'd be when I was 16-17.. a couple things stick out in my mind.. I thought I'd be living somewhere else.. ANYWHERE else other than the city I was born in. And I thought for sure I'd be with my sons' father- but 11 years was MORE than enough with that guy.

If I look at my life now as compared to where I was 7 years ago.. I've accomplished so much more than I ever thought I would at that point in my life- things were definately rough for me, for my kids.. its like night and day but I've worked my ass off-- to the point of crying tears of exhaustion for days at a time.. I live in a brand new home, drive a brand new car and my boys are well adjusted and somewhat spoiled.. but theyre appreciative because they know what its like to go without. Am I where I want to be..? .. no.. not yet.. but I'll get there without a doubt.

As you get older.. the years only pass faster and faster... dont waste time.. try to learn from other's mistakes.. baby your credit, give to those less fortunate and spend quality time with your family and close friends.. dont wait only to have regrets..

Apr 5, 2005
KALYN said:
Hmm.. good topic Crow.. I've been sitting here for about 10 mins just thinking.. thinking about where I am and where I thought I'd be when I was 16-17.. a couple things stick out in my mind.. I thought I'd be living somewhere else.. ANYWHERE else other than the city I was born in. And I thought for sure I'd be with my sons' father- but 11 years was MORE than enough with that guy.

If I look at my life now as compared to where I was 7 years ago.. I've accomplished so much more than I ever thought I would at that point in my life- things were definately rough for me, for my kids.. its like night and day but I've worked my ass off-- to the point of crying tears of exhaustion for days at a time.. I live in a brand new home, drive a brand new car and my boys are well adjusted and somewhat spoiled.. but theyre appreciative because they know what its like to go without. Am I where I want to be..? .. no.. not yet.. but I'll get there without a doubt.

As you get older.. the years only pass faster and faster... dont waste time.. try to learn from other's mistakes.. baby your credit, give to those less fortunate and spend quality time with your family and close friends.. dont wait only to have regrets..

That's deep real deep. I'm glad you shared your experiences knowing that you are older than most of us. I have nothing but respect for you. I should have listened to my parents when I was younger. That's the only regret I have. But life goes on. And like you said, "learn from your mistakes".

KALYN

Sicc OG
Dec 11, 2002
All 4 the Bay said:
That's deep real deep. I'm glad you shared your experiences knowing that you are older than most of us. I have nothing but respect for you. I should have listened to my parents when I was younger. That's the only regret I have. But life goes on. And like you said, "learn from your mistakes".

I appreciate the kind words... if only it were easy to make the changes needed to take your standards of living to the next level.. unfortunately its hitting the bottom that makes you appreciate the top-- I've yet to reach the top but I hear its a beautiful place to be.. lol..
Life is what you make of it.. if you settle for what you have instead of driving for something better or fail to set goals and reward yourself for achieving them.. one day you'll find you have less than you truely deserve.

Sep 28, 2004
^^ I know the feeling. I'm 23, and I already graduated college. I didn't land work in the field I trained in. My job is Ok right now, and I make enough to pay the bills. But there's something I'd rather be doing. Problem is, the thing I'd rather be doing isn't going to put food on the table or keep a roof over my head. At least not right now. I'm going to start playing the lottery.

Oct 9, 2004
CannibalCrow said:
^^ I know the feeling. I'm 23, and I already graduated college. I didn't land work in the field I trained in. My job is Ok right now, and I make enough to pay the bills. But there's something I'd rather be doing. Problem is, the thing I'd rather be doing isn't going to put food on the table or keep a roof over my head. At least not right now. I'm going to start playing the lottery.
WHAT IS THAT YOU'D RATHER BE DOIN??????

Sep 28, 2004
^^ I want to be an artist for a living. I want to illustrate children's books, fantasy books.. I had wanted to work in creature design as well. Right now I am painting and trying to pawn off my work to people at various places. It all depends on the audience. My room mate and her boyfriend are going to this "Gothic Renn Faire" and I'm sending them with a few of my pieces. He has a table there, but I'm not going. Hopefully he can sell some of my paintings. I deliberately made a few depressed looking faeries. I'm sure someone there will scoop it up.

Just gotta get my name out there.

KALYN

Sicc OG
Dec 11, 2002
Por la Fuerza said:
Can we stop with the cliches? This thread reads like "Eye of the Tiger," and it's getting really shitty.

There are 501 other threads to post in... dont let the door hit ya......
Dont want to take a look at your life or where it is now..? dont. But dont come in and shit on grown folks conversations.