Anyone play guitar?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I've been playing for a few months now. Just teaching myself right now. Shit is hella cool to just kick back and fuck with. I have a ESP LTD M-50 like this one:

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
when i get home i will take a pic. got 2 explorers at my house right now too(and no,not guitar hero ones)

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Cranky said:
I've been playing for a few months now. Just teaching myself right now. Shit is hella cool to just kick back and fuck with. I have a ESP LTD M-50 like this one:
I played for like 5 years but gave it up when I came in the Air Force. I never got really good but just had a lot of fun playing punk and gettin faded and just fuckin around. I sold my gee because I was desperate for cash but I sure do miss it. I had an electric Ibanez Talman. I'll probably get another one someday but when I do I'm going to take lessons because that's really the only way you can tear shit up, and if you play long enough you'll want to get good.

Apr 25, 2002
Yeah, I just took my first official lesson today. I had just been learning cords and shit on my own but I figured taking lessons would be the best way to really learn how to play the instrument. I wish I had learned when I was younger but it's my goal now to learn to play it really well. I need a goal of some sort........

Jake: You've been playing since you were a kid? What was the best way to really learn? Do you still play quite a bit?

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
^^^ You're question was directed to Jake but I'm a throw my 2 cents in anyway. A really good way to improve your skills is to find guitar players that are much better then you and try and jam with them. Ask for pointers and just playing with people that make you sound stupid will give you a bigger drive to be better and you'll actually notice yourself getting a lot better in a much shorter time then just playing by yourself.

That's one way to get better then by just taking lessons. Also you have to play a lot. 30 minutes a day or every other day just won't cut it if you want to get at the point where you can impress people. And if you're trying to learn other artists songs, try and learn songs that are really challenging. If you can learn an entire song in less then 2 days you're probably not going to gain a lot of skills from it. But it is nice being able to jam for hours and hours playing song after song.

That's all I got. *waits for Jakes knowledge

Apr 25, 2002
1 Deep said:
^^^ You're question was directed to Jake but I'm a throw my 2 cents in anyway. A really good way to improve your skills is to find guitar players that are much better then you and try and jam with them. Ask for pointers and just playing with people that make you sound stupid will give you a bigger drive to be better and you'll actually notice yourself getting a lot better in a much shorter time then just playing by yourself.

That's one way to get better then by just taking lessons. Also you have to play a lot. 30 minutes a day or every other day just won't cut it if you want to get at the point where you can impress people. And if you're trying to learn other artists songs, try and learn songs that are really challenging. If you can learn an entire song in less then 2 days you're probably not going to gain a lot of skills from it. But it is nice being able to jam for hours and hours playing song after song.

That's all I got. *waits for Jakes knowledge
Right on for the advice homie. Yeah, I think finding other people that play would be a great way to improve. I'm not too concerned with learning other people's songs (although that's cool too) but I'm more interested in learning how to play the instrument and understanding how it works. It's crazy because I see professional guitar players and they make it look so fucking easy. I would love to get to the point where I can just fuckin' play rather than stumbling through cords and shit. I'll get there though! I'm determined....

Dec 25, 2003
Ive been playing for about 5 months

Most people peg me at a couple of years

Im just really musical I guess

Learn scales, not just chords.

And learn how to make chords.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I've been fucking around on a bass for like 8 years. I couldn't tell you what I'm playing but I can play a lot of Nirvana and Alice In Chains lol.
It's a 70s Violin shape. I have no clue what it is, my uncle left it for me in his will.

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota

That's my guitar. Its an electric/acoustic Ibanez. I have another one, but its just a crappy Epiphone I picked up from the pawn shop for like 60 bucks. I take that one around to partys and shit and leave my Ibanez at home. I've been fuckin' around on it for almost two years now. I can mainly play three/four chord simple songs like Bob Dylan's Knnockin on Heavens Door... shit like that, but I'm still learning. I know a lot of chords, but I can't pick for shit. My BF plays in an Alice Cooper and Judas Priest tribute band, which isn't even his style, but I've learned a lot from him... even picked up some Cooper tracks. He's been playin 5 + years now. He's a classical kinda guy though... he's all over that damn fret board like a madman, its crazy. I love playin' though, def a hobby of mine.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
My close friend is a fucking amazing guitarist. His dad has been playing guitar his entire life, and my friend Ryan just started playing when he was young. The guy is impressive and his dynamics and knowledge of Scales is amazing. He can play some very difficult Jazz scales quite effortlessly. I'm helping him set up his home studio, so, soon we will collaborate, I want to sequence his guitar and add that flavor to my production.

I play acoustic guitar. I've been playing on and off for about 5 years. I really just do it because I love song writing and I love playing scales and chords and putting together melodies and bridging them. My passion is with the black and white keys though.

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
Yeah, my bf plays exceptionally well too. You wanna learn about some GENIUS guitarists I suggest checkin' out:

Jason Becker - Becker is amazing... if you don't know his story, check it out, its quite inspirational.
Steve Vai - Went and seen Vai this last Wednesday in concert... WOW fuckin' WOW! I recommend checkin' out the tour he's on right now if ya can... "Sound Theory" tour... shit was amazing!
Yngwie Malmsteen - I personally don't care for this dudes style, but I've never seen anyone play like him... incredible.
Mario Parga
Marty Friedman - Everyone knows Friedman from Megadeath, but no one really listens to his solo shit. I personally love his solo stuff.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
I've been playing for a year now, I became really serious about it this summer and I improved a lot! I have a Squire as you can see, which is not too good at all, but it suffices.

Few pointers...learn to play your favorite songs, that's the best way I think you'll learn how to play. Also learn some entry level theory, enough so that you'll enjoy to play chords. Also since you have an electric guitar, learn how to form a powerchord (really easy) and you'll have a lot of fun after that.
I have some really good resources that i'll give links to in a bit.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Good alternate Picking video, This is essential! Learn this technique now!

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm - Good beginner guitar lessons

http://guitarebooks.blogspot.com - Has a lot of useful ebooks to download.

http://chordmaps.com/ - I learned most of my music theory here. Highly recommend to just look through a couple of the first lessons.

http://www.justinguitar.com/ - Great place to learn stuff, has youtube video supplements.

This picture simplifies chord theory a bit,

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/ - Advance guitar room gives scales in several tunings, and the beginning room shows you chords spanning the fretboard.

http://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/ - After learning a scale, print it and put it in a binder or something with this tool.

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
To be honest, Im drunk right now, but i wanna tell you that i couldn't agree with you more. I'm at that point where i FEEL i HAVE a pretty good feel for chords. My bf is tryin' to teach me power chords right now, and I dunno if Imma tard or what but I find power chords more harder to play then regular chords. I dunno why, but i do know if you wanna get the basics and everything in between and after you gotta learn the power chords... why tho, why am I findin' this difficult? Dam dawg, id do anything to have my guitar right now. everyone is passed out like a lil bitch and i'm sittin' here with my teeth shivverin' like a lil' bitch. I'm rollin' balls right now, but i'd rather play guitar then do anything else right now...especailly to relate to some one.

hey check it out. i wrote this song on acoustic. i know you can't hear the music, but what do you think of the lyrics so far?

Who can I balme?
I can not change
I'm not the same
I feel deranged (sp?)

My thoughts are strong
Taking all control
I feel they're wrong
consuming all my soul

*I was thinkin' this could be part of or just be the solo... I guess its kinda hard when you can't hear the music to the lyrics though... um yeah, fuck it. Sorry guys im totally wasted right now...ha. Don't make fun.

they wont let go
I'm so alone
no one to know
im on my own

Carnage187 said:
I've been playing for a year now, I became really serious about it this summer and I improved a lot! I have a Squire as you can see, which is not too good at all, but it suffices.

Few pointers...learn to play your favorite songs, that's the best way I think you'll learn how to play. Also learn some entry level theory, enough so that you'll enjoy to play chords. Also since you have an electric guitar, learn how to form a powerchord (really easy) and you'll have a lot of fun after that.
I have some really good resources that i'll give links to in a bit.

May 1, 2007
I've been playing off and on for around 5 years now. I've learned chords and different scales, and have enough skill that I can make up certain solo's. I just don't keep up with it enough, and rarely practice anymore. I have a japanese fender strat custom with 2 humbucker pickups and 1 single coil, it has a really nice sound.

I play the drums now and that has taken a lot of my interest from guitar, but I'm gonna start practicing guitar again.