Anyone play guitar?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
some of my gear is second hand and some i got brand new.

guitar center has good deals on stuff. remember to take your guitar with you when looking for an amp so u can hear EXACTLY what the amp will sound like with your guitar. play through a lot of amps at your budget so u can really find the sound you like.

Dec 18, 2009
I play both guitar and piano, having started off on piano (I now favour the guitar).

The biggest difficulty I found is the technique and coordination but, like any instrument, that will come with time. The good thing about guitar is you can start off learning chord shapes (whilst working through the scales and notes) so you can learn to play songs really quickly.

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
Ok so like, I been playin' on and off for a few years now. I'd still consider myself a beginner. Anyway... I dated a guitar player for 3 years and he'd get frustrated tryin' to teach me how to play. He just didn't have the patience to teach a beginner like myself. He's a pretty technical player... plays a lot of classical and shreds and all that so I can totally understand why he was just like "Blah, are we done ye?t" with me, lol.

Anyway... I wanted to share this site with you guys because I've learned more from this site in the last 3 days than I have in the last 3 years trying to teach myself or having someone else try to teach me.

It’s Fretplay.com

The best thing about that site is they've got just about any song you ever wanted to learn. A lot of good “beginner” songs too. People record videos and show you step by step on how to play the track, they make it so simple. It goes into further depth for beginners, like how to strum, hold your guitar, how to hold and use a pick correctly, etc. It has video editorials for everything! I really enjoy it and the best part is... IT’S FREE! People who pay for guitar lessons these days are morons. Some of the video instructors are actual guitar teachers. And the site just isn’t for beginners either… they go into teaching how to shred and play arpeggios, etc.

Anyway... its def. worth checking out. I'm learnin' all kinds of new shit now. I like that you can pause and replay the videos over and over and over if need be... they're patient with me and don't expect me to learn it the first or second time through... its GREAT! Check it out!

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
That's awesome I'm glad you revitalized your interest in playing guitar!
For real! I'm so excited to start playin' again. I go home now everyday and play for like 5 hours straight. My fingers were so fuckin' raw at first, but they're good to go now. Lots of tips and pointers on that site that really helped me a lot to not just play better, but to sound better too. I'm def. improving each and everyday I practice, its theraputic and really exciting. Super pumped to become a good guitar player now! YEE! LOL.

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
Yep dude, after work its straight guitar time until I go to bed pretty much. I don't have a boyfriend anymore so my life is pretty lame during the week, lol. I put in at least 4 hours every night, or at least I have been for the last week or so. I gotta get my Ibanze new strings and restring it. I'm using this Acoustic Epiphone I got from a pawn shop right now, but I miss playing my Ibanez, it seems a little easier to play for me.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Is the Ibanez electric? Just stick with the acoustic, it'll make your fingers way stronger. I can't wait until school is over forreals. My classes are really spread out through the day so finding time is kinda hard and at night i'm just too tired to even start a 2 hr guitar session.
Do you have guitar pro? that's a good practice tool to learn songs by tab.

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
Is the Ibanez electric? Just stick with the acoustic, it'll make your fingers way stronger. I can't wait until school is over forreals. My classes are really spread out through the day so finding time is kinda hard and at night i'm just too tired to even start a 2 hr guitar session.
Do you have guitar pro? that's a good practice tool to learn songs by tab.
Yeah, my Ibanez is an electric/acoustic and I've only plugged in once and well, I don't think I'm that good to be playing electric quite yet anyway, lol.

I have this disc I bought a long time ago called Guitar Method for the computer, which at the time was a pretty penny. And now that I've found fretplay.com I feel like it was a total waste of money all together because that site bascially goes through the same shit that disc did if not more so, except for free. Fretplay actually probably has more info./help than that disc offered. But yeah you can pretty much learn anything and everything you need to know right online these days. You can get guitar tabs/chords for just about any song too. I learned a new one this weekend... its only like 4 chords but its always exciting learning a new song. I learned that Guns N Roses track... "I Used To Love Her." Learning the tabs to INTRO of Guns N Roses version of "Knockin' On Heavens Door" too as well as Metallica's "One"... fairly simple tabliture for a beginner.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
Yep dude, after work its straight guitar time until I go to bed pretty much. I don't have a boyfriend anymore so my life is pretty lame during the week, lol. I put in at least 4 hours every night, or at least I have been for the last week or so. I gotta get my Ibanze new strings and restring it. I'm using this Acoustic Epiphone I got from a pawn shop right now, but I miss playing my Ibanez, it seems a little easier to play for me.
good to hear you started playing again.

I am getting my new guitar next week, 100% gonna be a fender electric, either a strat or squire whatever its reasonable and sounds good.

I'm checking out that website you linked but I can't see where I should be looking first.