Alot of people are happy being stupid and selfish....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 21, 2010
Heresy, I am not vouching for the validity of individuals, but for the fact that everyone has the ability to change how they perceive their life and therefore either enjoy it or not.

I personally know of saints that have only had a "life of suffering" as you have described, and with a lot of care and patience for themselves and others and what some call God, they realized that they only need to change what they see as suffering, and now live with only love as their only concern.

I guess Jesus, Buddha, and millions of others throughout history of the human race are just crazy people for adopting this philosophy. It's ok, I'm not the one suffering here.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Heresy, I am not vouching for the validity of individuals, but for the fact that everyone has the ability to change how they perceive their life and therefore either enjoy it or not.
Everyone has the ability to change how they perceive their life and therefore either enjoy it or not? You look at the following picture and tell me if this CHILD covered in flies has the ability to change how they perceive life and can enjoy it.

http://maramenasyka.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/starving_baby.jpg

I personally know of saints that have only had a "life of suffering" as you have described, and with a lot of care and patience for themselves and others and what some call God, they realized that they only need to change what they see as suffering, and now live with only love as their only concern.
Aside from the NFL team, saints don't exist, and I hate when I go to comedy hour (church) and hear niggas say, "Praise Da Lawd Saints!!!!!" BTW, can you count how many flies are on the child?

I guess Jesus, Buddha, and millions of others throughout history of the human race are just crazy people for adopting this philosophy. It's ok, I'm not the one suffering here
What philosophy are you claiming they adopted?

Apr 21, 2010
This argument has now become void and nulled, because you continue to bring the discussion back to how you interpret suffering and the justice you perceive of it.

What if I told you I have been a child much like that one covered in flies? Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't it mean that others who have will come to the same conclusion that you have.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
The argument isn't null and void based on anything I've done. The argument is null and void because people like you continue to make claims, or imply that all people have the power to change their life or "transcend" this reality and become a demi-god of sort. This has nothing to do with how I interpret/perceive suffering and justice but everything to do with the facts and what we do know about the universe, science and the human body.
What if I told you I have been a child much like that one covered in flies?
I’d ask you how you changed your life. Did you crawl into the arms of a health worker and ask them for help? Did you decide to pick up a book and teach yourself how to read? I’d ask how you knew your current situation was not a good one. I’d ask you what YOU did since you’re claiming that it is a fact that everyone has the ability to change how they perceive their life and therefore either enjoy it or not.
Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't it mean that others who have will come to the same conclusion that you have.
Crack smokers think the same thing. I think it is bad yet they come to the conclusion that it is good. Why? Because it feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels gooooooooooooooooooooood…

And that is part of the problem...everyone wants to feel good instead of looking at reality for what it is.

Nov 24, 2003
Yes because regardless if you feel the pain or not third degree burns lead to death.

No, it isn't a red herring as all we're dealing with here is the subject of pain. Regardless of what yourself and others may think, pain involves tissue damage. So ultimately, all this talk about transcending this or that, and not feeling pain is useless if the person can't even stop the damage from taking place. He may be able to stop the sensation but he can't stop the end result which is tissue damage and possible death.

Your claims of red herrings just got flushed, better luck next time.

See above.

See above.

He hasn't transcended shit if he can't stop his flesh from peeling off his body.

My claims of red herring did not get flushed and in fact your statement;

No, it isn't a red herring as all we're dealing with here is the subject of pain.
just corroborated my point!

This debate has been about an individual's ability to transcend beyond the stimuli that originates in our brains.

First, not all "pain" is physical in nature. Pain can be both physical and emotional, and emotional pain does NOT involve tissue damage.

Secondly, our original discussion was about the ability to transcend emotional pain and originated with SerioulyThug's post;

desire is all that breeds suffering.
Suffering in the context of desire again does not cause tissue damage, so your argument that pain causes tissue damage and death and therefore negates our ability to transcend it is short-sighted, and in the context of our discussion, inaccurate.

As you said in your own post "all we're dealing with here is the subject of pain". The fact the Monk will die from the burns is completely irrelevant.

We are discussing the ability to transcend past feelings
We are not discussing the ability to transcend past death.

My example of self-immolation was used as an example of an extreme case of an individual's control over a particular reaction that we regard as absolute and innate.

The example was used to illustrate ONE instance of a human's ability to transcend a feeling. It was not meant to be the definitive case on transcendence.

However, in an attempt to strengthen your position in the debate, you are focusing only on the feeling in that particular example and disregarding the entire spectrum of other possible feelings derived from the infinite possibility of other situations.

Here is the point:

If the monk in the example was in an entirely different situation that was providing him pleasure rather than pain (sitting in a warm bubble bath), and he was transcending past his feelings of pleasure into a state void of feelings and emotions then what would your position be? That we should "forget all this transcendence talk" because bubble baths lead to tissue damage and death?

Your argument doesn't hold up if we change the variables in the situation; yet the Monk has done the same thing in both situations.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
My claims of red herring did not get flushed and in fact your statement;
It got flushed and I’ll flush your points again.
just corroborated my point!
No I didn’t just keep reading.
This debate has been about an individual's ability to transcend beyond the stimuli that originates in our brains.
Now read the following from SeriouslyThug which can be found on pg 3:
millions of people including people who have realized their "Self" still feel bodily pain and sickness as that is a natural part of the physical cycle of life and death.
Wave your point bye-bye!
First, not all "pain" is physical in nature. Pain can be both physical and emotional, and emotional pain does NOT involve tissue damage.
You need to start reading for context, following the flow of discussion and refrain from using bold points.

YOU were the one who mentioned physical pain when you said: “I think that people continually pushing their bodies beyond the limits of what is considered scientifically possible is testament to our growing ability to eliminate our own self imposed limitations. Self-immolation by Monks who use to set themselves on fire and sit silently until they died is evidence of our innate abilities to transcend pain.”

I never said all pain was physical in nature. When I said what I said it was in context to what you said about the monk setting himself on fire. Dhadnot then proceeded to reply to your post, and after that you responded him. I then responded to your response to him and told you to forget everything you were talking about and directed you back to what Dhadnot originally replied to and asked “Can the guy stop himself from being burned?” and then said “No he can't so what is all this transcending talk?”Again, start reading for context and follow the flow of discussion.

Secondly, our original discussion was about the ability to transcend emotional pain and originated with SerioulyThug's post;
Wrong. The original discussion can be found in the OP (make sure you read the last paragraph.) Also, you’re putting words in the mouth of SeriouslyThug and not following the flow of the conversation. You quoted ST and you make it seem as if he said what he said and was solely referring to emotional pain. However, you fail to consider that ST made that statement in response to Dhatnots post. So what was Dhadnots post? Read it:
I honestly believe that but the suffering of the flesh is unbearable
How’s that toilet looking now Mr. Nice Guy?

Suffering in the context of desire again does not cause tissue damage, so your argument that pain causes tissue damage and death and therefore negates our ability to transcend it is short-sighted, and in the context of our discussion, inaccurate.
But was Dhadnot talking about suffering in the context that Seriously Thug was? Hmmmm….let us take a look at some of his responses:
Reality is what a mind perceives, or how a mind interprets stimuli, but the actuality of things is that we are in a flesh chasis that feels pain and no amount of transcendence talk can destroy that actuality and the effects it brings about.
My point is the human condition is "suffering", as most of us know it, not those into science, transcedentalist, bodis and other assorted "specials", we need a practical way to minimize this suffering.
Now here is a key statement Dhadnot made and this is key. Why is this key? Because he understands what I’m saying to ST and shows that I know what point ST was trying to make.

But still transedence comes after you master the physiacl and mental, and to think that the masses of people can do this with the ease of saying transcend is asinine, this is why I side with Heresy's views on this topic.
How’s the water in the toilet?

As you said in your own post "all we're dealing with here is the subject of pain". The fact the Monk will die from the burns is completely irrelevant.

We are discussing the ability to transcend past feelings
We are not discussing the ability to transcend past death.
Wrong. Please refer to the flow of conversation and read everything I’ve typed up to this point.

My example of self-immolation was used as an example of an extreme case of an individual's control over a particular reaction that we regard as absolute and innate.
Physical pain…

The example was used to illustrate ONE instance of a human's ability to transcend a feeling. It was not meant to be the definitive case on transcendence.
The feeling of physical pain…

However, in an attempt to strengthen your position in the debate, you are focusing only on the feeling in that particular example and disregarding the entire spectrum of other possible feelings derived from the infinite possibility of other situations.
Wrong. I’m not focusing only on the feeling in the particular example. Why don’t you try reading my replies to the other people in this thread? The things you’ve presented have been openly covered with others or they have been implied.

If the monk in the example was in an entirely different situation that was providing him pleasure rather than pain (sitting in a warm bubble bath), and he was transcending past his feelings of pleasure into a state void of feelings and emotions then what would your position be? That we should "forget all this transcendence talk" because bubble baths lead to tissue damage and death?
False Dilemma, Straw Man and Slippery Slope.

Your argument doesn't hold up if we change the variables in the situation; yet the Monk has done the same thing in both situations.
See above. If you change the variables you have a different situation altogether because under normal use, a warm bubble bath will not lead to any type of tissue damage or death.

BTW, you can find the air freshner next to the plunger.

May 20, 2004
www.rapbay.com
Btw Heresy, you were speaking of a very scientific materialistic world when you said that if you touch something scalding hot, then you will in fact burn. How do you explain meditative individuals who walk slowly on coals without any prior practice and walk off without any sign of the previous "trauma". What about the individuals who allow deadly poisonous snakes to bite them with only the belief that God will protect them, and they suffer absolutely no consequences?

If anyone wants, I can post stories and findings from anthropologists and other researchers who have witnessed some things that do not fall under "action, cause" understanding and will maybe help individuals who put their whole faith in scientific materialism understand that there is an entire part of their psyche that they are denying.
they turn the coals and get them to a minimal heat where the pain felt is bearable, it's an old trick like the bed of nails where the weight is placed evenly so there's no wounds being inflicted... the psychological effect of belief that a god will protect them can also aid in the reduction of pain thats felt. But for the most part they just turn the coals 'til they're cooler than they are originally... i saw an episode of real world or some shit where the nerds on that show did fire walking... its doable for anyone. And alot of those snakes that bite people are de-fanged as well.. so there is no venom in the bite. They just appear to be miraculously surviving what would otherwise be a fatal snake bite.

I don't doubt that the siddhis (psychic powers resulting from rigorous meditative practices) may exist but those aren't that.

May 20, 2004
www.rapbay.com
Precisely why I said transedence TALK...

But still transedence comes after you master the physiacl and mental, and to think that the masses of people can do this with the ease of saying transcend is asinine, this is why I side with Heresy's views on this topic.
SeriouslyThug said:
ok i understand that transcendence talk might not do much for the majority of people as in the end even transcendence becomes nothing more than a concept imagined by a perception submerged in a contradictory perspective.
I also understand why you would believe and say "to think the masses of people can do this with the ease of SAYING transcend is asinine"

but i do wonder, where did anybody speak anything about TALK of transcendence , or saying of transcendence ?
If you think you've transcended anything then you're still caught in illusion.

What the term transcendence is inferring isn't an appropriate representation of what appears to take place either IMO. And if anything once "transcendence" takes place, a pain-response stimulus arising in experience would appear even more intimate and powerful than before. What happens in these cases, is that the sensible feeling called pain appears in raw form as pure sensation which removes its malevolent nature ... the removing of its undesirable nature is due to the fact that it manifests as a spontaneous arising with no-where or no-one to attach itself to.

On the subject of pain though.... the "pain" felt is undeniably a response to anything that the organism would deem potentially threatening to the continuity of its existence and survival. The organism is hell-bent on survival and that (and reproduction) are it's only concerns. It's intent on activities which aid in the survival of itself and the species as a whole. Anytime an injury of any kind is sustained pain will arise to warn the organism that something isn't right.

But what happens in 'transcendence' which is again a horrible term to use for this is that the subject of the pain is removed. So then there would be in fact ONLY pain with no experiencer. The presupposed translation and division of the occurrence into experience and experiencer (due to conditioning) are removed and all that's left is experiencING.

And to clarify the transcendence thing: the act that the term transcendence points to is unfitting because upon the apparent arrival to the point which some of these spiritual traditions champion.. there is a total union of sensible phenomena. Or more that the illusory obscurations that would keep one from experiencing the seamlessness of sensible phenomena (reality) are seen to be mere illusion. That they always were illusion. So what is left (or seen to have always been the case) is an undivided unbroken non-dual totality that 'you' were never separate from to begin with.

And i'm not trying to make a point as if this is some truth that anyone needs to accept... believing this as a concept and me even writing it ruins the point to begin with. I just know there's some people on here who are obviously genuinely interested in metaphysical/spiritual type shit and this is my two cents.. or insane babble to most people who might read this.

But bottom line suffering is a part of our experience and we all know that first hand! Live with love and have compassion for all other sentient beings who suffer from any form of pain be it emotional or physical and do anything you can to alleviate them from that suffering.