49ers angling for Vick at QB

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
The San Francisco 49ers have decided to articulate with no ifs, ands, or buts -- they are not interested in acquiring quarterback Michael Vick when he's released from federal prison.

One day after all three of their big brain trust guys did non-committal verbal gymnastics on the topic at Monday's State of the Franchise speech, the team sicced a spokesperson on the Chronicle to put this one down for good. "The 49ers have no interest in Michael Vick," said the spokesperson.

The Michael Vick-to-San Francisco affair is a great example of the life cycle of an internet rumor.
This baby germinated in mid-January, when Singletary began interviewing replacements for Mike Martz. Dan Reeves had an interview, as did Ravens' quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson. Adam Shefter of NFL.com observed that both had worked with Michael Vick, who happened to be eligible for release in July.

Never mind that both Reeves and Jackson were interviewing for the same position, ergo no chance of both being hired. The nexus was that the 49ers were interviewing Vick mentors, thereby facilitating Vick's smooth transition from federal prison to NFL training camp.

The 49ers, nailed with tampering charges and losing a draft pick last year, has become dysfunctionally terrified of making public statements regarding players under contract with other teams (Vick is still technically an Atlanta Falcon). Whenever asked about players, team brass instead describes the vacuum which is their personnel decision-making process.

This method of communication does not effectively tamper down five-alarm, red hot rumors.

But by ruling out Vick, what the 49ers are really saying is... get used to Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. Yes, the same two guys who got beat out last training camp by J.T. O'Sullivan. Get ready for the sequel, minus the guy who won at the end of the last one. On any other team, niether of these two would even be sure to make the roster.

/thread.

Feb 23, 2003
Fresno, CALIF.
49ers, Vikings could pursue Vick

By CLIFF BRUNT, AP Sports Writer Feb 20, 6:34 pm EST

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Two teams with unsettled quarterback situations—the San Francisco 49ers and the Minnesota Vikings—might be interested in acquiring suspended Atlanta Falcons star Michael Vick.

Vick is in federal prison on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July. The Falcons have said they will try to trade him, though they could cut him and make him a free agent.

San Francisco coach Mike Singletary said Vick deserves the chance to play in the league, and believes he will be successful if he returns. He wouldn’t say if the 49ers would pursue him.

“He’s still under contract, you can’t really talk to him or have any contact with him,” Singletary said. “Right now, we’re just going to look at the quarterbacks we have and go from there.”

There might be questions about Vick’s sharpness and conditioning because he hasn’t played since 2006, but he’s a proven winner who led the Falcons to an NFC championship game and has been to three Pro Bowls. The dynamic athlete has the NFL single-season record for yards rushing by a quarterback with 1,039 in 2006, and is third all-time. He also has passed for 11,505 yards in six seasons, with 71 touchdowns and 52 interceptions.

Singletary said the team would likely enter training camp with Shaun Hill as the No. 1 quarterback. Hill passed for 2,046 yards and had an 87.5 passer rating last season, but that wasn’t enough to impress 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, who said the team clearly needs to upgrade the position.

“I’m not going to get into names,” he said. “The important thing now is which ones fit that (system). It has to be a chemistry where he fits in with everybody. There’s value out there, and it’s a position we need to address, whether it’s the draft or free agency.”

Minnesota coach Brad Childress said the Vikings are looking for someone to challenge Tarvaris Jackson, and are willing to make moves to ensure that it happens.

“We need to put somebody in place that will push him and compete with him,” Childress said. “I think competition is the nature of the game.”

Childress wouldn’t confirm or deny interest in Vick.

“I really don’t get into hypotheticals because I think there’s too much water that’s got to happen. I’d cross that bridge when I come to it.”

Veteran Gus Frerotte, who started for much of last season before getting injured, isn’t sure if he’ll return. The Vikings say they would welcome Frerotte back, though he has made it clear he wants to start.

Jackson began last season as Minnesota’s starter, but was benched for Frerotte after the Vikings began the season 0-2. Frerotte went 8-3 as a starter, but he suffered a hand injury, and the Vikings turned to Jackson again. Jackson led the Vikings to the playoffs and finished the season with a 95.4 passer rating, the best of his three-year career. He has 20 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions in his career.

“I think that Tarvaris has to continue to improve, and I believe he will,” Childress said. “I think he gave some glimpses, coming back in cold off the bench and doing some of the things he did. Obviously, he’s got to eliminate some of those turnovers.”

The New York Jets also will have a new quarterback after Brett Favre’s retirement, but they appear to be happier than the 49ers and Vikings with what they have. New coach Rex Ryan said the team feels comfortable with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Eric Ainge competing for the job.

“I think if you ask the organization, it’s probably split on who they think can do it.” Ryan said. “It’s definitely an open competition.”

Ryan said he’d lean toward choosing among his three quarterbacks. He said he’s not interested in selling the future for a quick fix.

“Right now, I’d rather have our draft picks,” Ryan said. “I’d rather not talk about any potential free agent out there, with the tampering rules and everything else the way they are.”

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
That AP report is hella wrong. They wrote it before both teams said no vick, and they still put it out after

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
NINERS SAY “READ MY LIPS, NO MIKE VICK”
Posted by Mike Florio on February 22, 2009, 12:10 p.m.

Several days ago, a spokesman for the San Francisco 49ers said in no uncertain terms that the team has no interest in Falcons quarterback Mike Vick.

Despite this clear-as-it-can-be statement, the Associated Press published a story on Friday night suggesting that the 49ers and the Vikings could be interested in Vick.

We dissected the article, explaining the various flaws and areas of incompleteness. But a headline suggesting that the Niners and Vikings might pursue Vick still showed up on the front pages of sites like ESPN.com and SI.com.

It prompted the Niners to repeat themselves on Saturday. “The 49ers are not interested in Michael Vick,” a team spokesman said on Saturday, according to Nancy Gay of the San Francisco Chronicle. (In a far more polite and charitable assessment of the AP piece, Gay writes that the news service “misinterpreted” comments from coach Mike Singletary.)

Let’s see if the AP picks this one up and funnels it to all of the major web sites.

Apr 25, 2002
I would love it if the Niners got Mike Vick just so they could piss off the PETA liberals and vegetarians and gays.

Everyone else gets a second chance in San Francisco, why not Mike Vick?

Aug 9, 2006
vikings are about to trade for sage rosenfals and sign him to an extension, lions got culpepper coming back with a restructered contract. which pretty much leaves the 9ers open.
if you think culpepper is projected starter no matter what your on one...he will be fighting for his job more then anyone with thier new hard nosed coach in place....

ive been hearing the sage to vikes shit since last year....i wont believe it till it happens