Zuffa sends Strikeforce CEASE and DESIST on Mousasi/Fedor fights

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Quote:
TJ DeSantis on Sherdog radio just mentioned UFC has sent Strikeforce a C+D letter in regards to the Babalu/Mousasi fight. Strikeforce's Mike Afromowitz responded by saying Babalu is Strikeforce's property and has been since 2007 but didn't say anything about Mousasi.

- Rumor is Zuffa is pissed that Fedor signed with the UFC, so because of the Affliction deal Zuffa made (which gave them the Affliction contracts), Zuffa is claiming they have have the rights to Mousasi's and Fedor's next fight. It seems that Zuffa is more than willing to tie these guys in a court feud to prevent them from fighting in Strikeforce

Zuffa has just sent Strikeforce a cease and desist regarding the Babalu versus Mousasi fight... expect the same for Fedor's engagement.

The war already started between Zuffa and Showtime years ago and this is simply a different chapter in the same saga. Showtime's new proxy: Strikeforce... EA and potentially CBS coming into the mix - there are multiple fronts in play.

Zuffa's pay scale has already been gearing up to preempt this and many don't realize the Affliction "collaboration" has more implications than meets the eye.

With Zuffa's warchest increasing by the minute and more revenue streams being added by the day expect the payscale to continue its increase.

My bloody elbow brothers probably expected an apology from me as "I guaranteed Fedor's next fight would be in the UFC"... and rightfully so after hearing the strikeforce/fedor announcement.

But pay heed my brothers as you've only seen half (Zuffa's amazing offer) of why I guaranteed it... The other half - the stick - is yet to be pulled out.

Always bet on Zuffa. "

Jan 2, 2004
This is what I was worried about when fedor signed with strikeforce. Strikeforce and ufc have always had a good relationship and this probably put strikeforce on danas shitlist. And now he's not gonna stop until he puts strikeforce out of business.

I really like strikeforce but they don't want to try to compete with the ufc.

Feb 12, 2004
This is what I was worried about when fedor signed with strikeforce. Strikeforce and ufc have always had a good relationship and this probably put strikeforce on danas shitlist. And now he's not gonna stop until he puts strikeforce out of business.

Agreed! I have a feeling Danas out for blood now..

Jul 24, 2005

I wonder how much help the UFC is getting from Affliction in all this cease and desist mess it looks like dana and the boys are trying to keep this held up in court

Jul 24, 2005
but strikeforce has showtime and cbs behind them it should be a wild fall /winter if this ever take place in court this year

Jun 19, 2004
I can see Strikeforce hanging around for a while, they don't have a glass house like Kimbo was to Elitexc. I'd love to see Fedor in the Ufc but he can get some decent competition at Strikeforce.

ESFCE

Sicc OG
Dec 4, 2004
But Fedors brother already said the deal he had with Affliction was a Deal between them and M1, not a contract between Fedor and Affliction. Basically saying he has no ties to them. This should be interesting.

Jul 29, 2008
I wonder how much help the UFC is getting from Affliction in all this cease and desist mess it looks like dana and the boys are trying to keep this held up in court
But Fedors brother already said the deal he had with Affliction was a Deal between them and M1, not a contract between Fedor and Affliction. Basically saying he has no ties to them. This should be interesting.

Well, from what I understand, those were not exclusive contracts.

Truth is, UFC wants to run MMA period... so sooner or later clashes are gonna happen. UFC likes to pass down its premier fighters after they've used them up. Arlovski, Silvia, Monson... But anyone that has a pretty good name and active in the fighting ranks, it seems UFC wants them under contract.
--------------------------------

If Fedor wasnt the a ranked fighter or even a questionable fighter, then why persue him that bad or even try to run him out or force him to join the UFC?

Dana shouldnt even give a shit really. I know he wants the best fighters.. but trying to hold a fighter out of his fights or bad mouthing just makes you look stupid... which everyone agrees.

Dana should make the UFC appealing to Fedor by showing that it has that competition he seeks. I know Fedor wants it... but the UFC should have co promoted with M1.. really, UFC dont have shit to worry about. They are a house hold name... so why even trip on it.

ESFCE

Sicc OG
Dec 4, 2004
I can see Dana and the UFC's stance on co-promoting. They have grown over the years and co-promotion would not benefit UFC that much, it's all pretty much benefiting M1. Also they dont NEED Fedor to keep growing, when they've already hit a million buys, I know a Fedor vs Brock headlining event would probably do more, but a split down the middle for M1? That's asking a bit much. maybe 1/3.

Sep 24, 2006
^^^ i agree with the m1 part but as for saying they dont need fedor to grow then the ufc shouldnt issue a c&d order to prevent him from fighting I think if they do they are just gonna ruin any chance they ever would have had of signing fedor and thats a bad mistake on their part

Jan 2, 2004
I think danas given up on ever trying to sign fedor and now he's gonna want to see him buried. He's probably hoping to tie him up in legal litigation for the next year to prevent him from fighting.

May 17, 2004
Dana should make the UFC appealing to Fedor by showing that it has that competition he seeks. I know Fedor wants it... but the UFC should have co promoted with M1.. really, UFC dont have shit to worry about. They are a house hold name... so why even trip on it.
fedor obviously doesnt care about the competition. and how is it a smart business move giving m1 50% of the revenue?

how bout i come down to your job and help you for an hour and then you give me half your paycheck for the day.

Jul 29, 2008
fedor obviously doesnt care about the competition. and how is it a smart business move giving m1 50% of the revenue?

how bout i come down to your job and help you for an hour and then you give me half your paycheck for the day.
Dont take it personal. If you were a high paying name.. hell yeah. Bekuz that pay per view would be a high selling show... that probably would make history for the sport.

On top of that, look how Strikeforce (probably dont have the money like Zuffa) got Fedor to join. Strikeforce dont have the revenue, yet they were willing to co promote an event... look how quick that turn around was.

I personally dont know if Fedor cares or not.. I'm just saying, being a hardline about someone you dont OWN, TRYING TO STOP THEIR FIGHTS, IS BULLSHIT. And its gonna even make them even be more difficult if they dont like how you do business.

Then again, M1 doesnt deserve that much rep either. Fedor is co owner/partner of M1... and they work with other Orgs.. so I can see that they are trying to be smart on their part. If Fedor won and everyone became a Fedor fan (if they were casual), then m1 would get the more recognition.

Fedor=M1 and vice versa.

I think if the UFC has all the top talent in the world... Fedor (if he cares) will eventually go.

But you're right, he probably doesnt care. I'm just saying, make it more appealing to him besides being a dick.

Jan 18, 2006
It is what it is, Fedor probably does not like Dana anyways after the shit Dana has said about him in the past. When a company is going out of there way to stop a fighter from fighting thats not even with there company that is doing way to much and lol @ automatically thinking they have the rights to Fedor, what a joke.

May 17, 2004
Dont take it personal. If you were a high paying name.. hell yeah. Bekuz that pay per view would be a high selling show... that probably would make history for the sport.

On top of that, look how Strikeforce (probably dont have the money like Zuffa) got Fedor to join. Strikeforce dont have the revenue, yet they were willing to co promote an event... look how quick that turn around was.

I personally dont know if Fedor cares or not.. I'm just saying, being a hardline about someone you dont OWN, TRYING TO STOP THEIR FIGHTS, IS BULLSHIT. And its gonna even make them even be more difficult if they dont like how you do business.

Then again, M1 doesnt deserve that much rep either. Fedor is co owner/partner of M1... and they work with other Orgs.. so I can see that they are trying to be smart on their part. If Fedor won and everyone became a Fedor fan (if they were casual), then m1 would get the more recognition.

Fedor=M1 and vice versa.

I think if the UFC has all the top talent in the world... Fedor (if he cares) will eventually go.

But you're right, he probably doesnt care. I'm just saying, make it more appealing to him besides being a dick.
first, im not taking it personal since its not me being offered millions of dollars. secondly, we dont know how high selling a ppv with fedor is going to be. the 3 shows with affliction had somewhere around 300,000 buys combined. the pride ppv that was in vegas that he headlined had i beleive about 40k buys (and that even had wandy vs hendo). So we can stop assuming this would be the biggest ppv ever.

Of course strikeforce agreed to co-promote. They are getting publicity and the top ranked heavyweight in the world. Publicity with which they will hopefully expand their audience.
ufc already has an established name. they have so many of the top fighters in every weight class that fedor is not going to make or break them. so why from a business perspective should they agree to give m1 half their ppv revenue when fedor is on a card? how does that make any business sense?

Lastly, how can the ufc and dana white make themselves more appealing to fedor? lets see. give him one of the highest salaries of anybody. check. a cut of the ppv revenue. check. hes free to compete in sambo whenever he feels like. check. a contract with a set number of fights. check. looks like they caved into every single one of his demands except for one, co-promotion. so short of copromotion how can they make themselves more appealing.