Your Top Albums of 2006 [revisited] (Non Rap)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Yeah i love Kidney Thieves, and Im listening to Leaves Eyes right now, Its tight.
Im gonna try Blackmore's Night too, cause I heard a song off their new album and it was fucking quality. It was really medieval/renaissance sounding, and there was like 12 different instruments going off, LOL, felt like I was in some sort of middle-aged celebration or something.

Thanks for the suggestions, ill try 'em out.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Some more albums I really liked that I just remembered once looking through my CD's or people mentioned that I forgot...

HeavyHeavyLowLow - Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching
TV on The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
Isis & Aereogramme - In The Fishtank 14
AFI - Decemberunderground
In Reverent Fear - Stomacher
Yndi halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
Sigur Rós - Sæglópur EP (four new songs, great stuff)
Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
Of Sinking Ships - S/T
Gregor Samsa - 55:12
Martian Memo to God - ...So Go the Dream of the Rough and Tumble
The Stokes - First Impressions of Earth
She Wants Revenge - S/T
Pretty Girls Make Graves - Élan Vital
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - Fear Is on Our Side
Film School - S/T
The Black Angels - Passover
The Album Leaf - Into the Blue Again
The Black Heart Procession - The Spell
Built to Spill - You in Reverse
Islands - Return to the Sea
Mogwai - Mr. Beast
Murder By Death - In Bocca al Lupo

Damn I had forgot a shit load of albums...and I'm sure I'm still missing some really good ones. I buy way too many fucking albums lol.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
^^ You forgot Portugal again haha. And The Sound Of Animals Fighting, if you actually dug it. It took me awhile to get into it and I still only like a couple of the tracks. I know what they were trying to do with the whole 'music has no limitations' thing, but some of it just got too out there.
You should check out Moros Eros too, I think you'd like them. They're kinda like modest mouse and the flaming lips. www.purevolume.com/moroseros

Aug 20, 2004
Nuttkase said:
Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
Yndi halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
Sigur Rós - Sæglópur EP (four new songs, great stuff)
Of Sinking Ships - S/T
Gregor Samsa - 55:12
Mogwai - Mr. Beast
These albums are nothing short of spectacular. I was just about to make a thread about Yndi Halda too.

Isis & Aereogramme - In The Fishtank 14
I was reading up on the Fishtank series. Quite intersting. The Black Heart Procession took part in that as well. I want to check out that Isis Fishtank series.

For those that dont know, heres some info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Fishtank

In the Fishtank

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In The Fishtank is an ongoing project of Konkurrent, an independent music distributor in the Netherlands. In this project, Konkurrent invites one or two bands to record and gives them two days studio time. The first four albums were recorded by individual bands, but seven of the last nine releases were the result of two bands (three in one case) teaming up to record. The Ex is so far the only band to appear on more than one album in the series.

[edit] Album listing
In The Fishtank 1. Nomeansno
In The Fishtank 2. Guv'ner
In The Fishtank 3. Tassilli Players
In The Fishtank 4. Snuff
In The Fishtank 5. Tortoise and The Ex
In The Fishtank 6. June of 44
In The Fishtank 7. Low and Dirty Three
In The Fishtank 8. Willard Grant Conspiracy and Telefunk
In The Fishtank 9. Sonic Youth, ICP and The Ex
In The Fishtank 10. Motorpsycho and Jaga Jazzist Horns
In The Fishtank 11. The Black Heart Procession and Solbakken
In The Fishtank 12. Karate
In The Fishtank 13. Solex and M.A.E.
In The Fishtank 14. Isis and Aereogramme

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I agree with you Jae about all those albums. This was a great year for Post-Rock albums. The only In the Fishtank albums I have is the Isis/Aereogramme one and the June of 44 one. I never really listened to the June of 44 one, I got it for free when I ordered some CD's a while back. I guess I should give it a spin lol.

May 15, 2002
So I finally gave Pelican a listen. I got their album "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw" and it's quite good. I've had it for about a week or two, but never got around to listening to it until this morning. It's some good ole stoner music..excellent!

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I like everything Pelican has put out thus far but my favorite is Australasia. You should check it out if you liked The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw Redstorm.

They have a split with Mono that is really good too. It was only released on Vinyl but you can more than likely find the songs on any P2P site or something of that sorts.

Here is the tracklist:

PELICAN: "Ran Amber"
PELICAN: "Angel Tears (James Plotkin remix)"
MONO: "Yearning"

The bassist and drumer of Pelican are also in another band named Tusk that is pretty dope IMO. Here is their myspace if you want to check them out...

http://www.myspace.com/tuskgrind

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I'm already a fan of Sleep (I like a lot of "stoner rock/metal") but I have never heard of Giant before. I'll have to check them out.

Crazy bit of trivia about Sleep's Jerusalem album. It was origanly one 63 minute song titled "Dopesmoker." When their label learned about it they droped them from their contract and chopped the album up into 6 songs and released it against the bands wishes. A couple years ago it was released as a one song album by a different label...it's much better the way the band wanted it IMO.

Of course I already know about M83...they need to drop a new album already. It's been almost two years since Before the Dawn Heals Us came out.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I liked (A) Senile Animal quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's their best release but it's solid none the less. I think Jared and Coady from Big Business were great choices for drums and bass on the album. I hope they work with them more.

Did you check out A Live History of Gluttony and Lust? It's a live recording of their classic album Houdini, it was recorded in either 2004 or 2005, it just got released in 2006 though. It's a great live recording and if you a big Melvins fan I suggest picking it up/downloading it.

May 15, 2002
Actually to be honest this is the first actual album I've heard of the Melvins. I know you've mentioned them to me in the past, so I gave the album a try when I saw it and I'm really enjoying it. It's a good album to chill out to. I've been so much into the viking stuff lately I've hardly listened to anything else, so this is a nice change. I'll check out that live album and Houdini, too.

Also, have you ever heard of a band called Bongzilla? I just heard them the other day and it's entertaining stoner metal, but the dude sings in almost a black metal voice..it's odd but works nonetheless.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Good shit Redstorm. The Melvins are great and they have a shit load of work. I'd recommened picking up just Houdini first and then if you like it pick up A Live History of Gluttony and Lust seeing it's just the same album live. They played in Seattle on New Years eve and I wanted to go hella bad but I had to work, that shit sucked.

I have heard of Bongzilla but I never heard any of their stuff. I'll have to check it out because I usually like stoner metal bands (actually any kind of stoner bands I usually like lol.)