Your Top Albums of 2006 [revisited] (Non Rap)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 20, 2004
Nuttkase said:
Damn I forgot about Dirty Three and Do Make Say Think. Great fucking bands. Never heard of the other ones...off to scour the internet for songs by them lol.

On a side note aren't members of Do Make Say Think in Broken Social Scene?
Broken Social Scene is dope. And Do Make Say Think is one of my favorite bands right now.

Heres who is in the group and band they are origiinlly from:

KC Accidental - Kevin Drew and Charles Spearin
Apostle of Hustle - Andrew Whiteman
Feist - Leslie Feist
Jason Collett - Jason Collett
Do Make Say Think - Charles Spearin and Ohad Benchetrit
Junior Blue - Justin Peroff and Dylan Hudecki
Metric - James Shaw and Emily Haines
Raising the Fawn - John Crossingham
Stars - Evan Cranley, Amy Millan, and Torquil Campbell
Valley of the Giants - Brendan Canning and Charles Spearin
The Weakerthans - Jason Tait
FemBots - Jason Tait and Julie Penner
Reverie Sound Revue - Lisa Lobsinger
k-os - Kheaven Brereton
The Dears - Murray Lightburn

May 15, 2002
Damn, I didn't know the genre was so large..I liked what I heard from This Will Destroy You, especially "There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease". I couldn't find any Pelican samples anywhere, but I'm downloading one of their albums right now.

Is it customary for these bands to use drum machines?

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
RedStorm said:
Damn, I didn't know the genre was so large..I liked what I heard from This Will Destroy You, especially "There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease". I couldn't find any Pelican samples anywhere, but I'm downloading one of their albums right now.

Is it customary for these bands to use drum machines?
I can't speak for This Will Destroy You because I just found out about them but none of the Post-Rock bands I listen to really use drum machines, they are full bands.

There are lots of post-rock bands. Here is a list from Wikipedia if you want to check some more out (a lot aren't on this list though.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-rock_bands

Here is a link if you want to read up on exactly what post-rock is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_rock

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Gringo Starr said:
Broken Social Scene is dope. And Do Make Say Think is one of my favorite bands right now.

Heres who is in the group and band they are origiinlly from:

KC Accidental - Kevin Drew and Charles Spearin
Apostle of Hustle - Andrew Whiteman
Feist - Leslie Feist
Jason Collett - Jason Collett
Do Make Say Think - Charles Spearin and Ohad Benchetrit
Junior Blue - Justin Peroff and Dylan Hudecki
Metric - James Shaw and Emily Haines
Raising the Fawn - John Crossingham
Stars - Evan Cranley, Amy Millan, and Torquil Campbell
Valley of the Giants - Brendan Canning and Charles Spearin
The Weakerthans - Jason Tait
FemBots - Jason Tait and Julie Penner
Reverie Sound Revue - Lisa Lobsinger
k-os - Kheaven Brereton
The Dears - Murray Lightburn
Good looking out on that list Jae. I have only heard limited BSS but I did like what I heard. I know you already know about Do Make Say Think but out of that list of members you should really check out Valley of the Giants (Post-rock band) and Metric (kind of like Ladytron) a lot of the others I have never heard of so I'm about to go check them out now.

Mar 9, 2003
Circle of Ouroborus - Shores
Be Persecuted - s/t
Odor Mortis - Shining Substance
Zahrim - Ia Zagasthenu
Elhaz - Malemort
Coldworld - The Stars Are Dead Now
+ A lot more, 2006 has been a great year.

Aug 20, 2004
Nuttkase said:
Good looking out on that list Jae. I have only heard limited BSS but I did like what I heard. I know you already know about Do Make Say Think but out of that list of members you should really check out Valley of the Giants (Post-rock band) and Metric (kind of like Ladytron) a lot of the others I have never heard of so I'm about to go check them out now.
Metric is dope, i cant thank you enough for that one.Grizzly Bear is dope too, thank you for that also. Matter of fact, alot of the bands listed in here are nice. I REALLY like Circa Survive.

I couldnt fine Valley Of The Giants anywhere, however. Ill keep looking.

Mar 9, 2003
on the Circle of Ouroborus cd I mentioned they did a Joy Division cover of 'She's Lost Control' It's pretty good if you're into experimental bm/raw rock. I think most JD fans would hate it though.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Syk0tic said:
on the Circle of Ouroborus cd I mentioned they did a Joy Division cover of 'She's Lost Control' It's pretty good if you're into experimental bm/raw rock. I think most JD fans would hate it though.
I usually don't care for JD covers but I'll check it out for sure. Good looking out Syk0tic.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Tool - 10,000 Days
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode
Incubus - Light Grenades[SIZE=-1]B[/SIZE]rand New - TGAD
AFI - Decemberunderground
Evanescence - Open Door
Built to Spill - You In Reverse
Tech N9ne - Everready (rap, I know)
Ice Cube - Laugh Now (rap, I know)

some more that I can't think of.

Who knows bout Lacuna Coil though? im gonna make a post soon about them and show people whats up.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
I thought Karmacode is their least good CD, but after listening to it like 50 times, I started understanding their changes. They really went a lot harder, and I think America played too much of an influence in it (the "american" rock sound, that is, really thick guitars), They arent as dark as they used to be which annoys me. Comalies was like one of the best *hard* rock cd's ive ever heard. er, IS, i mean. I saw them live and now im fucking obsessed with the lead singer Cristina, hahaha. i loooove them dark metal chicks.

But i know what you mean by not liking it much. It took me a while, and if i wasnt a hardcore fan i wouldnt have made it to the point where I now like it.

Aug 20, 2004
a star impaled said:
^^^I was just about to make a post in this thread that I thought it was funny no one named Evanescence or AFI but then you posted haha.

I like Lacuna Coil, specific songs more than albums. I thought Karmacode was pretty damn weak though. :(
I mentioned AFI as one of the best of the year, and that Karmacode is OK, not their best work.

Evanessence is hit and miss with me. This last one was their best effort, but not on my list as best of the year.

DNI

Sicc OG
May 5, 2002
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors (so out of place aha)
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Goatwhore - A Haunting Curse
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption
Fantomas - Suspended Animation

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
DNI said:
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors (so out of place aha)
Not really, it's on my list too on the first page lol. Morrissey/The Smiths have been one of my favorite artists/bands for as long as I can remember.

I liked that Mastodon too but it was a step back from Leviathan IMO. Still a good album though.

Fantômas - Suspended Animation came out in 2005 FYI. Really great album though I agree. Then again I'm biased because I think everything Mike Patton touchs is great lol. With that being said I don't know how I forgot to add the Peeping Tom album to my list of best of 2006. What did you think of the album DNI?

DNI

Sicc OG
May 5, 2002
Yeah, Moz is the absolute shit I was considering 'Who put the M in Manchester' but since it's a live album I didn't add it..
And that Peeping Tom, honestly it wasn't what I was expecting but I definitely dug it, not enough to make my favs of the year but still good..I'm sure that next Tomahawk album (whenever it comes out) will be high up on the list though..Also read something bout Patton doing something with some Italian Orchestra got me really curious how that's going to sound.

Aug 20, 2004
a star impaled said:
^^^I must have missed it.

Psilo

Try:

Leaves' Eyes
Queen Adreena
Forever Slave
Storm of Passion
Lullacry
Kidneythieves
Scarling
My Ruin
Collide
Rhea's Obsession

You probably dig some of those alot.
I got a Leaves' Eyes album awhile back, it was intersting to say the least.

I cant find Queen Adreena anywhere, id like to hear some of their stuff. Also, id like to hear Kidneythieves, but I couldnt find their album to DL anywhere. Can you upload a song if you get a chance Smurf?

Heres a fun tidbit. Tairrie B, of My Ruin, used be a rapper and was signed to Ruthless Records (yes, THAT Ruthless Records). Anyone remember her?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tairrie_B

Aug 20, 2004
a star impaled said:
^^^I must have missed it.

Psilo

Try:

Leaves' Eyes
Queen Adreena
Forever Slave
Storm of Passion
Lullacry
Kidneythieves
Scarling
My Ruin
Collide
Rhea's Obsession

You probably dig some of those alot.
Try some Bardo Pond too, Psilo. THats some drug induced, sludged-out psychodelic rock. Its sounds like some shit that people got high on acid and recorded in there garage. You just might like it.