Would you pay for a "underground artist verse" and how do you decide

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
djbuttnaked said:
Example of a good business collaboration Byrdie and Reggie Watts from Maktub
Byrdie is a well known emcee on this board but not a lot of people really knew who he was til this track.
Reggie voted in the Stranger as one of the most noticable faces in the Northwest and is part of Maktub who sells out whatever venue that they play in Seattle and will probably have the hottest album to drop from a Northwest since Nirvana's Nevermind album. Good business move for Byrdie yep I think so...
You're kidding me, right? Nobody knew who Byrdie was until he hooked up with Reggie who? What a joke.

Feb 4, 2004
@D-Sane what I meant by the statement was people who don't or wouldn't normally listen to Byrdie. Lets face the obvious here I think Reg and the dudes from Maktub are doing a little bit more as far as fanbase is concerned. This is not to discredit Byrdies talent because dudes got skillz as do many members of this board. I still wouldn't pay them for a verse though.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
djbuttnaked said:
@D-Sane what I meant by the statement was people who don't or wouldn't normally listen to Byrdie. Lets face the obvious here I think Reg and the dudes from Maktub are doing a little bit more as far as fanbase is concerned. This is not to discredit Byrdies talent because dudes got skillz as do many members of this board. I still wouldn't pay them for a verse though.
You must be a Maktub fan? I don't know a single person that listens to them or has been to a show......or even knows who they are for that matter. I think Maktub and Byrdie have entirely different fan bases that are too far apart demographic-wise to be of any influence on Byrdie's business. Basically.....Maktub fans don't give a shit about Byrdie and Byrdie fans don't give a shit about Maktub.

Maktub = Adult Contemporary - Byrdie = Hip-Hop........how is that a good business move? Puttin' Nate Dogg on that song would have been a good business move. Not some cats that are gettin' play on "103.7 The Mountian".....lol.

Feb 4, 2004
Wow man sounds like your a little high strung today. Yes I am a Maktub fan as well as a Byrdie fan as well as a Street Level fan and any other hot stuff coming out of the Northwest. I would suggest checking out one of Maktub's shows if you get the chance you might find it interesting. I don't think the fanbases of the two of them are that far apart but hey thats just my opinion. I will end my statment with this: It was a good move for Byrdie to get as much exposure as possible for his music hip -hop or not he hooked up with the hottest band in Seattle right now hands down. There aren't to many local acts in Seattle that are doing bigger things (touring, shows, album sales, ect) than them right now except maybe a couple of Punk Bands and Dave Matthews. Who cares where or what station the music is being played on as long as its getting major spins right? I really don't like the song choice or production they decided to do on the song (Byrdie and Reggie) but whatever the case there should be more collaborations of this nature. Shit, maybe you could produce a track **** just an idea I think it would be dope.

Feb 4, 2004
www.infamousent.com
nah..i feel butt naked...cuz lets see...maktub got a huge white fan base...and if u want numbers u have to get white people to buy ya shit...its a proven fact that thats where the majorty of record company sales come from...y else would nelly do a song with tha country singer...or eve do a song with that chick from no doubt....thats that cross over power...i kno a lot of dudes who rap...who dont know who 151,byride,unexpected arrival,etc...are....shi...on this board cool nutz is is giving hella props...but i aint neva even heard a cool nutz song...

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
Niggaz just need to shut up and pay me for a verse. I'm over here slashing prices as the lyrical WALMART, and you cats are missing the great deals that are going on over here.

All these rap dudes out here need to stop complaining about our prices and pay the FUCK up. It's time to get Cool Nutz, Syko, 151, Byrdie, Gangsta Nutt, E-Dawg, and all the rest of us hot NW niggaz on your albums.

Money ain't shit. These dope raps that all of us have will take you to the top. I brokering deals on the hottest cats in the NW:

Cool Nutz: $45,525.00+7 plane tickets
Syko: $38,645.56+3 plane tickets+2 bottles of Cristal
151: $52,285.35+2 jet skis+1 Suite 5 star hotel
Byrdie: $32,421.49+2 cans of caviar+2 tour buses
Gangsta Nutt: $31,879.94+G4 private jet
E-Dawg: $67,767.48+1 Maybach Silver in color+2 Jakob The Jeweler custom watches

Get at me if you are ready to get some of this NW heat. All of the artists listed above are open to reasonable offers.

Mar 7, 2003
Cool Nutz said:
Niggaz just need to shut up and pay me for a verse. I'm over here slashing prices as the lyrical WALMART, and you cats are missing the great deals that are going on over here.

All these rap dudes out here need to stop complaining about our prices and pay the FUCK up. It's time to get Cool Nutz, Syko, 151, Byrdie, Gangsta Nutt, E-Dawg, and all the rest of us hot NW niggaz on your albums.

Money ain't shit. These dope raps that all of us have will take you to the top. I brokering deals on the hottest cats in the NW:

Cool Nutz: $45,525.00+7 plane tickets
Syko: $38,645.56+3 plane tickets+2 bottles of Cristal
151: $52,285.35+2 jet skis+1 Suite 5 star hotel
Byrdie: $32,421.49+2 cans of caviar+2 tour buses
Gangsta Nutt: $31,879.94+G4 private jet
E-Dawg: $67,767.48+1 Maybach Silver in color+2 Jakob The Jeweler custom watches

Get at me if you are ready to get some of this NW heat. All of the artists listed above are open to reasonable offers.

Yup. And I got beats for a wet booger sealed in a winterfresh wrapper + 1melted ice cube.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
djbuttnaked said:
Wow man sounds like your a little high strung today. Yes I am a Maktub fan as well as a Byrdie fan as well as a Street Level fan and any other hot stuff coming out of the Northwest. I would suggest checking out one of Maktub's shows if you get the chance you might find it interesting. I don't think the fanbases of the two of them are that far apart but hey thats just my opinion. I will end my statment with this: It was a good move for Byrdie to get as much exposure as possible for his music hip -hop or not he hooked up with the hottest band in Seattle right now hands down. There aren't to many local acts in Seattle that are doing bigger things (touring, shows, album sales, ect) than them right now except maybe a couple of Punk Bands and Dave Matthews. Who cares where or what station the music is being played on as long as its getting major spins right? I really don't like the song choice or production they decided to do on the song (Byrdie and Reggie) but whatever the case there should be more collaborations of this nature. Shit, maybe you could produce a track **** just an idea I think it would be dope.
lol....I'm always high strung my friend. I hear what you're sayin'.......but I still don't agree. Unlike other people I know who Maktub is. I've heard their music. Is it my cup of tea? Not really (and I do listen to other types of music besides Hip-Hop). But I'm glad they're enjoying the success they've been working hard for. But saying that just because Byrdie did a song with Reggie Watts now all of a sudden people know who he is is funny to me. Especially since the song wasn't that great.

Reggie Watts is a great singer....I won't argue that. But do I think Byrdie gained any fans or more recognition because of the collabo.....I would say minimally if at all.

And honestly.....I would love to work with Byrdie again. But his EGO and PRIDE would never allow it. His new album lacked the spark that his first album had. He needs to go back to the formula that got him recognized in the first place....the formula that got him in rotation without having to take Eric Powers out to dinner and butter him up. N-Flight was mediocre. Fuck it.