Would you pay for a "underground artist verse" and how do you decide

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 4, 2004
www.infamousent.com
...How much to charge

Im just curuious, I've seen some cats post up on here their prices for verses and Im wondering how do you come to these figures. Is it kinda like Beat Makers who jus kinda randomly come up with figures or does it make sense like the trackheads who charge 300 a track cuz its 3 of them, and its bascially just 100 a person. Let me know, i personally aint knocking no ones hustle but for example I dun seen sum undaground cats charging like a g for 16..lol...or beat makers charging 1500 for a beat...and then I wonder...do these cats care about tha actual product or jus tha beat...like if u a beat maker...do u rather see a dude SHINE on ya beat and then lose some money on the actual price but maybe pick up some thru word of mouth, cuz dude is nice..or get all ya money off the beat, but never hear anything back from it...cuz dude is trash...or charge for a verse for someone u respect..for example...i got mad respect for cats like byrdie,livio,un-expected arrival,badluck and 151..and i would neva charge them for a verse...but then i wouldnt neva PAY them for a verse either..not saying that thier not WORTH it..cuz all them spit...but i just aint ballin like that...so

someone "school" me to how this shit works...

May 4, 2002
The point of payin someone for a verse is so hopefully there fan base will buy the record, well thats the point for most people that get features, But I know from my view point I would buy a verse from an underground artist #1 to network with different artist #2 to sell cd's to there fan base......
But in my opinion there isnt that many people out here that have a (huge) fan base. So there is only a hand full of people that I would pay for a verse......

Feb 4, 2004
www.infamousent.com
The point of payin someone for a verse is so hopefully there fan base will buy the record, well thats the point for most people that get features, But I know from my view point I would buy a verse from an underground artist #1 to network with different artist #2 to sell cd's to there fan base......
But in my opinion there isnt that many people out here that have a (huge) fan base. So there is only a hand full of people that I would pay for a verse(quote)

exactly..thats the point I think I wuz tryna to make...the fact that I understand y u would pay a kurupt or a nas...lol...cuz they got a fanbase in the millions...but lets say jus for example...if byrdie is the biggest rapper in the northwest....its still not even 30 people at my school (highline) who know who he is....although to people familar with the seattle music scene...he'z ranking up thurr

Nov 30, 2002
I wouldnt pay... but thats me... i think you should just work on it yourself not pay someone to do it for you... its called stayin on the grind... but to all his own.. good luck with finding people with that.. im sure theres a couple cats who are lookin for that help

pz

Apr 25, 2002
HERE IS THE PROBLEM. TOO MANY ARTIST THINK THEY NEED TO CHARGE. I SEE TRE-8 WANTING LIKE 500 A VERSE!? GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE.

HOMIE IF YOU LOOKING FOR FEATURES HOLLA AT ME. TOO MANY PRODUCERS AND ARTIST ON SUM HOLLYWOOD SHIT. I CAN GET YOU 100 A BEAT BY THE SAME MAN WHO PRODUCED THE 8BALL ALMOST FAMOUS CD. I CAN ALSO GET YOU SOME FEATURES BY SOME NATIONWIDE ARTISTS.

NOT TO TRY TO BE A DICK, BUT THE WEST COAST CATS ON SOME HOLLYWOOD SHIT. I KNOW YOU GOTTA EAT AND I GOTTA EAT TOO. I'VE FUCKED WITH CATS FROM DOWN SOUTH, EAST COAST, AND THE MIDWEST AND NONE OF THEM ARE AS BIG HEADED AS THESE CALI CATS. I'M NOT SAYING THATS EVERY CALI CAT.

IT JUST TRIPS ME OUT HOW SOMEONE SOUNDSCANNING UNDER 10,000 WANTS 500+ AND MY HOMIE FROM DIPSET WHO WAS ON DIPLOMATS FIRST CD, ALL THEIR MIXTAPES AINT COME AT ME WITH NO MONEY, CUZ HE KNOW WHAT NETWORKING IS. HOLLA AT COOL NUTZ HE ON SOME GOOD SHIT.

SO IF YOU NEED "ACTUAL" ARTIST GET AT ME.
one

Mar 11, 2004
i think its fully reasonable to charge. especially in the northwest where alot of cats say they are putting out something and never do. i have done this along with countless other people. its just the way alot of cats are when they first get into the buisness. i have learned though.

there is no reason why an artist shouldnt charge for his work. and i also feel an artist should charge whatever he feels he is entitled too. if he is tight, he will make his money if he networks correctly.

i think people should stop being so cheap. if you cant afford what people are asking then you need to step your hustle up. i mean its not like people are asking for astronomical prices. you need to realize that if you are fucking with the right people you are actually getting top quality for a discount.

Apr 25, 2002
Dak iller said:
[QUOTE

SO IF YOU NEED "ACTUAL" ARTIST GET AT ME.
one

so if somebody wants to charge for a verse there not an actual artist?[/QUOTE]

NO, BUT WHY PAY SOMEONE 500-1,000 WHEN THEY AINT EVEN SCANNING OVER 2,000?

I'M JUST SAYING, I GOT SOME PLUGGS WITH SOME CATS THAT WILL DO SHIT FOR FREE WHO HAVE BEEN ON SHIT THAT HAS SCAN OVER 100,000. THEN I ALSO KNOW SOME CATS WHO ARE GONNA HIT YOU FOR 200-1,000, BUT THEN AGAIN THEY ALL SCANNING 20-50,000. NO NEED FOR A RESPONSE.
one

Dec 2, 2002
I don't understand how some folks can charge as much as they do, it seems they don't understand the concept of networking. I think thats part of the reason why some areas are still not as blown as they should be. But then again I understand that folks need to get paid on a reasonable level.

Sep 17, 2004
MARCH 15th

BaneTheTerrible said:
one thing that bothers me is the lack of actual product that gets released around here. there is only a handful of people that you can count on to release stuff.

sup bane!!!

march 15 im dropin a northwest meets midwest comp cd!!!!

shitz gone be hott!!

holla dubbz

Nov 30, 2002
Dak iller said:
^^inasense I dont get what your sayin....what do you mean you would rather do it on your own, and its called stayin on the grind?
instead of taking the easy way out and having someone do it for you... YOU should do it... which its not stayin on the grind i worded that poorly.. my bad

pz

May 5, 2002
@DIGGZ DIME IVE BEEN BUMPIN THAT REIGNCRAFT 4 ON THE DAILY SINCE I GOT MY COPIES AND I GOT TO SAY YOU A LYRICAL SAVAGE PLAYER.YOUR SONG ON THERE IS CRACKIN.
WHATS UP ON AN ALBUM TRADE MY CD FOR YOUR CD PIMP.REAL CHOP.

DONT SLEEP ON DIGGZ DIME YALL.DUDE GOT FLAMETHROWERS.

Jan 24, 2004
www.twitter.com
BaneTheTerrible said:
i think people should stop being so cheap.
no, people should just not fuck with somebody charging them out the asshole.. if it ain't in the budget.. move the fuck on. if somebody really wants a verse or beat.. they'll find/make that money to get it.. especially if they know it'll get em somewhere. what I see is these artists playing the cool role and saying they're "networking" and once they throw a price at whoever's comin at em and the dude can't afford it.. they play like that muhfucka ain't about his business or gotta get their weight up to fuck with them like they're big time. we're all in the same boat right now regardless of who's got the pressed up album or the burnt copy. anybody charging over a G out here is out of their mind. muhfuckin' Spice-1 charges like $500 a verse and he's a veteran in this. shit, Raekwon outta Wu-Tang does too.