Will that be paper or phone?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
I thought this is rather an awkward / stupid question, but it could also make good conversation.

I've noticed that a lot of rappers today when writing verses do it on their phone. And not that it makes a difference nor makes anyone any tighter in that sense, but writing with a pen & pad seems to be more personal & get the best out of an artist.

Maybe artist of today write verses on their phone & that loses the touch of real feeling without the pen & pad? Could that be the cause of continuous whack music?

Is that the missing link to writing with much more emotion in today's music industry?

Real or physiological?

Your thoughts?

Mar 6, 2006
I thought this is rather an awkward / stupid question, but it could also make good conversation.

I've noticed that a lot of rappers today when writing verses do it on their phone. And not that it makes a difference nor makes anyone any tighter in that sense, but writing with a pen & pad seems to be more personal & get the best out of an artist.

Maybe artist of today write verses on their phone & that loses the touch of real feeling without the pen & pad? Could that be the cause of continuous whack music?

Is that the missing link to writing with much more emotion in today's music industry?

Real or physiological?

Your thoughts?

do you also think books lost quality when typewriters were invented?

May 16, 2002
do you also think books lost quality when typewriters were invented?
They did lose quality when computers & audio books came into play. How many people actually read books today?

In the 80's if you walked into a home they had bookshelves full of books. Encyclopedias were high priced & showed you to be on top of your education game.

Now you walk into a home & bookshelves are gone & replaced by a computer and Encyclopedias are replaced by Google.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2011

Real or physiological?

Your thoughts?
I think that when rappers type on their phone it does take a little bit of emotion out of the writing process, and my reason why might sound stupid, but i think its because of how easy it can be deleted and re-typed.. when youre writing on paper with a pen you put more thought into it because when you erase or scribble out it makes it look like shit... just a thought to add to the discussion im not a rapper by any means so i dont know the truth

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA

Real or physiological?

Your thoughts?
Do you think you'd be able to tell the difference by listening to what they record?

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I write super slow with a pen. If I write any lyrics with my phone, it's cause I'm in the car and don't have anything to write with so I'll jot down the main ideas that pop into my head or the rhyming words and stuff. As far as recording, all pen and paper before I spit it.

Props: Gemini
May 4, 2007
www.myspace.com
ill type lines in my s3 cuz it's convenient when I'm out and don't have a pad if something comes to mind but I still like the pen and pad. this is an interesting topic because a lot of rappers I know now take their phone in the booth when dropping. New days new method I guess. good topic.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
I'm always a bit suspicious about seeing industry cats writing verses on their phone. You almost never see them start from a blank page. Almost like they are getting verses sent to them by their ghostwriter via text.

But to answer the original question, no, I don't think ditching the paper makes any difference. If you are wack, you are wack.

mouth_my_nuts

🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻
Feb 16, 2006

Real or physiological?

Your thoughts?

I don't think this is dumb there's some validity to it. Kind off topic but technology is dumbing society down and cell phones have a lot to do with it. They're just a distraction, and I'm not a writer/rapper but I could see it being much harder to focus writing some bars on a phone when you have messages/emails/calls/ads/ a million other distractions on that bitch. If you're gonna write turn your phone off and use your brain. We're in the age of information, not knowledge. Smart Phones are a big ass distraction for anyone, that's the cells true purpose. Silicon Valley came from WW2, off topic but cell phones are designed to distract people from real shit going on.

Nov 14, 2002
I think that when rappers type on their phone it does take a little bit of emotion out of the writing process, and my reason why might sound stupid, but i think its because of how easy it can be deleted and re-typed.. when youre writing on paper with a pen you put more thought into it because when you erase or scribble out it makes it look like shit... just a thought to add to the discussion im not a rapper by any means so i dont know the truth

aw man,back in the days i used to write some shit that only i could read. scribbly scratch rap all over the paper. lol

but to the topic.i dont think it matters cause once it written you got the option to put all the emotion you want into the song.most of these rappers stay in the "safe zone" and play it cool in songs cause besides just rhyming a bunch of words they have no creativity and scared to use their imagination to come up with dope concepts.

Dec 28, 2009
Cmon. It doesn't matter if you use pen and paper or phone. That's like saying I write Bette raps with a pencil compared to a pen. I would say the first time I saw someone writing raps on a phone I was like look at this cool guy. It has its ups and downs too like a built in light so no extra lifting is needed but on the flip side ill bet someday well see a bunch of people with fucked up thumbs from always typing that shit. I will say that younger people would be quick to go for this option and I do notice younger people prefer to communicate via text but aren't able to hold conversation as well as those brought up before texting. It's like its dumbing down society and bringing people together virtually while keeping people apart physically. Like the uverse commercial..... Kids these days have it so good. But anyways I think there's a lot of wak music cause there are a lot of wak artists. Everyone think they got talent nowadays on some American idol bullshit. Most the people I know doing music think their music is so much better than everyone else's but when I hear the shit I'm just thinking how wak it is but no use telling them cause they're their biggest fan. LOL. Also see people supporting wak artists on here maybe they like the image but the music is still lacking. Only a few I see that are doped than the rest yet still lacking. Maybe the bar has just been lowered through the years. There is no industry standards

Mar 6, 2006
They did lose quality when computers & audio books came into play. How many people actually read books today?

In the 80's if you walked into a home they had bookshelves full of books. Encyclopedias were high priced & showed you to be on top of your education game.

Now you walk into a home & bookshelves are gone & replaced by a computer and Encyclopedias are replaced by Google.
come on, i know your smarter than these comments.