Why are these new unsigned rappers so lazy?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2003
The more important question is do you want someone like Nipsey Hussle or Stat Quo to blow up big. I personally don't, not because I have anything against them in particular but because they are the kind of run-of-the-mill MCs that while competent, don't really bring anything new and unique to the table. Wacka Flocka is a lot more original than Stat Quo...

fuk wat you talking bout. stat quo can spit and he original

Apr 25, 2002
I'm not superstitious, so I meant he odds ended up in his favor. Of course that's how you could get signed, but my point was that he didn't work as hard as some have.
i see what your sayin......i mean he was recordin shit, back when it wasnt as cheap....i dont know if he was grindin music or what not, but as far as being lucky, i think Snoop, Em, and 50 were all equally as lucky to sign with Dre......

i feel you tho on your point, i dont know what Snoop was actually doing to break into the biz prior to Dre, other than recording.......

Apr 25, 2002
Snoop Dogg is tight though. He is not wack and never been wack. He can make "hits".
he makes hits cus he's a good artist.....

he is a terrible rapper......he was dope as fuck in the Doggystyle/ Chronic era.......compare his rhymes and delivery now to back in the day........the "hits" come from a good artist, that doesnt automatically make you a good rapper.....

theres not many "good rappers" in the mainstream, but there is a lot of good artists......and thats where the money is.......

Apr 20, 2005
i dont know what Snoop u be listening to. He is the King of the west to me. Not too much competition for him but he's the King of the west unanimously.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Snoop got as "lucky" as anybody else. he was recordin songs and got signed by someone who heard them. thats what you do....thats how you get signed........
Isn't that's what all those rappers do too? I would say they do even more of it, they have a dozen of mixtapes in their "discography" on average ...

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
fuk wat you talking bout. stat quo can spit and he original
I didn't say he was garbage on the mic. But when I listen to him without knowing it is his track, I can't say "That's Stat Quo", because he sounds like thousands of other rappers do. Which, BTW, is a general very negative trend that developed over the last 10 or 15 years. If you go back to the early 90s, there was an explosion of MCs with absolutely original styles that you recognized immediately once you heard them - Snoop and E-40 are some of the best examples. You pretty much don't see it anymore as the vast majority of rappers sound exactly the same - the same kind of slowish, unvaried, mixtape-style flow. Stat Quo belongs precisely to that category - it is not as if I haven't listened to any Stat Quo song, but if I listen to a song of him that I don't know it's his, there is no way I can tell it's Stat Quo I am listening to. That's most definitely not what I call "original".

Feb 8, 2003
I didn't say he was garbage on the mic. But when I listen to him without knowing it is his track, I can't say "That's Stat Quo", because he sounds like thousands of other rappers do. Which, BTW, is a general very negative trend that developed over the last 10 or 15 years. If you go back to the early 90s, there was an explosion of MCs with absolutely original styles that you recognized immediately once you heard them - Snoop and E-40 are some of the best examples. You pretty much don't see it anymore as the vast majority of rappers sound exactly the same - the same kind of slowish, unvaried, mixtape-style flow. Stat Quo belongs precisely to that category - it is not as if I haven't listened to any Stat Quo song, but if I listen to a song of him that I don't know it's his, there is no way I can tell it's Stat Quo I am listening to. That's most definitely not what I call "original".

man shut the hell up you making this more then what it really is.

He dont rap about the same thing as everyone else either. i know stats voice his voice is unique and can be indentified he sounds the same on all his songs just different topics and he raps about real shit and got funny shit too. u must be some foreigner or just some tone def muhfucka square that dont know what the fuck u talkin about. fact is music isnt gonna go back to the 90s so get over it and accept it.

nobody in here can say stat voice dosent sound the same on all these songs.

Dec 19, 2006
I agree.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
man shut the hell up you making this more then what it really is.

He dont rap about the same thing as everyone else either. i know stats voice his voice is unique and can be indentified he sounds the same on all his songs just different topics and he raps about real shit and got funny shit too. u must be some foreigner or just some tone def muhfucka square that dont know what the fuck u talkin about. fact is music isnt gonna go back to the 90s so get over it and accept it.

nobody in here can say stat voice dosent sound the same on all these songs.
I never said he is not a good rapper, I just said there isn't much that distinguishes him from the thousands others such rappers. I don't think you get it

Apr 25, 2002
Isn't that's what all those rappers do too? I would say they do even more of it, they have a dozen of mixtapes in their "discography" on average ...
thats how you get signed nowadays, but recording mixtapes over peoples music is not the same as when cats were recordin original demos......a mixtape for the most part is you gankin a beat and a concept, theres no creativity in that......

i cant stand Snoop anymore as far as his music goes, but i rather listen to 4-track recordings done by him in the early 90's over any up and comers mixtape..........

Feb 8, 2003
j
thats because he's a brand......

being a brand doesnt make you a good rapper, and it doesnt justify your crappy rhymes, it just means your gonna make money........
thats not always true. soulja boy a "brand" his last album only sold under 16000 units. snoop isnt shitty he pretty good he has longevity and stays in his own zone and do his own thing.

some yall(tha g) just talking blah blah in this thread. the problem is alot mofos on here think they record executives but dont know nothing about the business, have any friends in it or experienced parts of it. just be a fan

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
thats how you get signed nowadays, but recording mixtapes over peoples music is not the same as when cats were recordin original demos......a mixtape for the most part is you gankin a beat and a concept, theres no creativity in that......

Yes, and that's a very significant root cause of the problem - when mixtapes became the way you make it in the game, the end result was that people who spent a lot of time putting out mixtapes rapping over other people's beats lost whatever identity they had in the process. Because the beat often dictates how you rap over it, and by rapping over the same beats that were hot at the time, they ended up all sounding the same. Then when some of them did blow up, G Unit being the most notable example, they carried over that mixtape style of flow onto their major lable recordings, which became a hit, other people picked up on it, the feed-forward loop was closed, and we ended up with the situation today, where pretty much every rapper sounds pretty much exactly the same way 50 Cent sounded on those 2001-2002 mixtapes...

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
jsome yall(tha g) just talking blah blah in this thread. the problem is alot mofos on here think they record executives but dont know nothing about the business, have any friends in it or experienced parts of it. just be a fan
Well, that's what I am doing - I speak from the perspective of a fan disgruntled with the state of the scene, with how much time I have to spend finding music worth listening to and with how much I am bombarded with crappy ass music that makes my ears hurt.

Your mistake is that you are also doing exactly what you said - you think of it as a business. And when you do that the question "How much is it selling?" is the one you're asking, not "Is it any good to listen to?".

Which is very sad, because if I correctly recall who you are after all the name changes, you own rap career never made it past the very deep underground, and if the way you think is representative of the majority of artists in the very deep underground, which is supposed to be where the innovation comes from, then no wonder the rap game is in its current state

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
Some people had deals fall into their lap, some had to hustle relentless. Either way, you can't complain about not getting a deal if you're not eating, breathing, sleeping, and pushing hip hop every waking moment of the day.

A lot of these clowns think that they're gonna do it all on free mediums like myspace or youtube. It takes money to make money. Master P loaded up in a van and hit the southwestern US with free t-shirts and cd's outta pocket before people had any idea who he was.

I would say the game is harder now too since it's oversaturated so you have to work that much harder.

Feb 8, 2003
Well, that's what I am doing - I speak from the perspective of a fan disgruntled with the state of the scene, with how much time I have to spend finding music worth listening to and with how much I am bombarded with crappy ass music that makes my ears hurt.

Your mistake is that you are also doing exactly what you said - you think of it as a business. And when you do that the question "How much is it selling?" is the one you're asking, not "Is it any good to listen to?".

Which is very sad, because if I correctly recall who you are after all the name changes, you own rap career never made it past the very deep underground, and if the way you think is representative of the majority of artists in the very deep underground, which is supposed to be where the innovation comes from, then no wonder the rap game is in its current state
lets get something straight u dont know nothing about me i dont give a fuck about being a rapper yeah i did music in the past but i dont care bout that it like that now after seeing it isnt wat it used to be and everybody wanna be a rapper. im mature i had some good times w,, made money and had opportunities with music and after being exposed to some skept shit in music i decided thats not wat i wanna do with my life if i make music now it would be for the hell of it or because i still have fans that wanna hear something from me. i moved on ti bigger and better things im doing very well with my life i own a very successful business here and will be opening another in june. also im getting into films i have a new business partner im investing we making a map of shit now. im not a hoodlum with boy rapper dreams no more im a man with visions. so dont come at me crazy no more i know who u are. u that lame wanna be soccer player jewish dude.

u the one whos so worried about typin novels on here and acting like this a rap customer service site. its not that serious either u like the artists or u dont its that simple. in this era in music its not about the quality its more bout gettin rich. u can either live with it or listen to different genre of music bc nothing u can do will change it.

Jun 10, 2002
The reason I did this post was I am unhappy with the direction rap is headed. I mean its not very often that you can even hear a good cd anymore, I bought that Lbc crew cd and was disapointed there were only 3 goodtracks but I mean to each his own. I just wish alot of these rappers that claim they are going to bring hip hop back, bring the west back, would just put out a good damn cd I give a fuck about what your going to bring back. I just want something good to listen to. tired of getting my hopes up about a rappers cd dropping and then it never does, fuck that. I know im not in the business but as a fan Im gonna say how I feel, the fans are putting money in the artists pockets so of course they need to hear the fans out about what we are feeling, so I say this much lets take it back to the days when you could listen to a full cd, lets bring back the lyrical side and beats, make me want to run to the record store to pick your shit up instead of pass by it. I went from loving rap to not liking it so much, to kind of hating it. I want to love it again but I need something to love point blank.