why are rappers in general so horrible on stage? how can we improve this?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
Man Miami Tha Most was a great Hype man . Tech 9 puts on a great show , AP-9 , Yuckmouth , Mac Dre (RIP) , E-40 .

Yeah no - Hey put on # 3 no no wait # 2 - common man , were payin money .

BOTTOM LINE IF THE CROWDS DANCING OR SINGING ALONG YOUR DOING SOMETHING RIGHT -

Aug 6, 2008
i think the whole problem has to do with lack of professionalism, go see stevie wonder or some oldschool legends perform and them shits be off the hook, fuck a rap concert, they always have been trash

Nov 14, 2002
A COO PERFORMANCE TO ME NEEDS ONE HYPMAN TO PICK UP THEM LAST FEW WORDS WHILE YOU CATCH YOUR BREATH.. THATS ALL I EVER REALLY GOT FROM A HYPE MANE. THAT WAS HIS PURPOSE TO ME... A SHOW CD SHOULD HAVE ONE AB LIB AND VERSE WITH NO DOUBLE UP BEING THAT YOUR RAPPING THOSE VERSES YOU WILL BE THE LIVE DUB.

thats it right there.i leave one ad lib and leave the hooks in because sometimes the verse your rapping melts in the hook and when the hook comes in that will give you some time to amp the crowd and sing the hook at the same time.i chop my songs up and blend them together so i can put on a good show instead of that looong pause and walking back and forth then the "ay dj,play track 5" bullshit.the only rapper i seen get away with the "play track 5" shit was Too Short. his performance is based on what the crowd want to hear and he rocks that shit.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
Just imagine if those 100 people on stage were to actually stay in the crowd. It would make the artist look more legit. Potential fans would be more interested in the show if theirs a CROWD actually watching you, not performing with you.
this is always a big problem... especially in the Bay. i dont want to bust anyone out but ive seen a lot of "big-name" bay acts rock shows with as many ppl on stage as there are in the crowd, not even rapping just dancing and yelling a couple lines here and their as the speakers play the song right off of their album.

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
On some real shit the problem is reflected by the state of hip hop in general. people think because you have money, a nice car, some hoes, and a chain your skills dont matter anymore. the way i came up rappin, you had to have breath control, know how to talk to your soundman (and make it to sound check!!), have your show CD right, interact with the crowd, rehearse, and let your music stand for itself.

Apr 14, 2006
Im sorry but if you think Andre Nickatina puts on a great show, youve never seen a great show before. All nickatina does is stand there while someone plays an instrumental track of his song. Just because he actually raps live and doesnt have a hype man doesnt make it a great show.
Go watch some punk or metal bands live and then compare again

Of course.....but I think most of us are talking about rappers here. Nickatina is the best rapper I've seen in concert. Rock groups in concert are miles ahead of rappers......

Nov 2, 2002
can we start naming names of groups that put on bad shows? Just want to know who i should avoid seeing. Ill start
The Hustle Boys
Most people on thizz and thizz latin

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
I was in Sac for a Nickatina Mac Dre Show a while back...And when Mac Dre came on the cutthoats flooded the stage.....First Degree was performing at that show..He did his thing and was bolo, doin it.........

Ive been to about 4 nickatina shows...And he never had hella cats onstage at any of them shows.....The thing that makes me say Dre Dog puts on a dope show is his energy.....He gets shit rockin...

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
Most of the dudes aren't in good enough shape for one. Hype men were introduced to do the ad-lib or punchline portion of songs. You have to perform the songs louder, more voice inflection plus moving around A LOT more than you ever would in a studio. Same reason that pop singers that dance don't sing on stage either.

Prince is one of the most incredible performers ever, if not the best ever. That dude is all over the place but still sings like crazy the whole show. If you plan on performing it, you should consider the size of the venue, the types of venue's you'll have and it starts with how it's written. I personally know I couldn't possibly perform some of the songs I've written without a show edited cd to be my hype man which I prefer to an actual hype man

Dec 11, 2005
Jay-Z puts on a dope ass show.

The Game puts on a dope ass performance here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USape6NACEM

But I've also seen the game perform live and he sucked balls. He just played the songs over the speakers, yelled the words, and had like 30 of his blood niggas on stage standing there. Not to mention he started pulling girls on stage which crowded the stage even more. This was a concert for University of California San Diego, so he probably didn't give a fuck if he performed well or not.

Aug 6, 2008
U MUST OF NOT SEEN A WILLIE JOE SHW THA BEST BY FAR HOODSTARS PUT ON 2
i forgot about dem hoodstarz, they put on a good ass show, they opened for too short and had the place jumpin then too short came out and put on a boring ass weak ass show lmao

but very few rappers give you your moneys worth

Mar 18, 2008
Ugly Nigga is without doubt "The Greatest Performer The Bay Area Has Ever Seen." Reason for this claim of greatness...because he is concious of his audience. To see Ugly Nigga perform is like seeing a young Mike Tyson. You remember the rush you felt when he entered the ring? You expected the unexpected. You knew he was gonna knock it out. The question was when. In 3 rounds? 2? 1? or 30 sec. Ugly Nigga is that unbridiled force on stage. There is no comparison "I Am The Greatest."

Mar 18, 2008
Dvd coming soon of my BDay Tour. I'll take snippets of the performances for promotions on the internet. Lucky I got a show in Modesto on June 25th cause I would come to your show at the Time Out Bar. Only need 1 song and shut it down. All you gotta do is ask the Bar tenders bout me. I am the greatest show and I don't even have to be on stage to accomplish that. Actualy ask the Dj if it's the same dude that djs on Thursdays that will be on your Friday. Ugly Nigga..."I think they playin wit the wrong man."