Who knows their funk music?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
was just throwin that out there....this is what you wanted rit

Negative!...again this is all just ordinary funk music,..parlimant is played out,.the strikers is koo,but that track is alil more like disco still,..the other ones are just sum 70's funk,confunkshun is cool too but that ffun song is easy to find!..they got later songs that hit hard tha are out of print and cant find to easily!.. thats wut i meant,.u posted really nothing to get the party started,.if i heard that parliment song come on at a party,id get bored real quick and think its played out,which in a way it is!...im talking bout that rare ol skool funk shit that was made when all the synthisizers was in demand and fresh,..those type of bands!...that era only lasted from about 83-86 87,..after that it all changed!...songs like the one homie posted up by the limit!...now thats a cut i can get down to right there!

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003

yes,..like this,..if it dont sound like this,..that smooth tempo shit,..it aint ol school rare funk maynnee!

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
Quit posting so much unless your going to take those nuts out of your sig! I get the idea, but another man's sack is the last thing I want to look at when clicking into a Funk Thread! How about another broad's puss or even her carmel eye replacing that on the other's face!

Apr 18, 2005
since we're on the topic, i've asked but never got an answer. At 7:15, what's that tune? it's got a funky, jazz vibe to it, original of peaches & cream. anyone know????

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Negative!...again this is all just ordinary funk music,..parlimant is played out,.the strikers is koo,but that track is alil more like disco still,..the other ones are just sum 70's funk,confunkshun is cool too but that ffun song is easy to find!..they got later songs that hit hard tha are out of print and cant find to easily!.. thats wut i meant,.u posted really nothing to get the party started,.if i heard that parliment song come on at a party,id get bored real quick and think its played out,which in a way it is!...im talking bout that rare ol skool funk shit that was made when all the synthisizers was in demand and fresh,..those type of bands!...that era only lasted from about 83-86 87,..after that it all changed!...songs like the one homie posted up by the limit!...now thats a cut i can get down to right there!
alright, well obviously you are on a hole other level than us. Your definition of FUNK is different than mine. The thread was made to discover the name of a sample used then it evolved from there. Now, you are heading in a different direction looking for specific LOST or FORGOTTEN tracks from a certain time frame. I dont see why you get all worked up about shit folx post that doesnt match your sound/time frame, relax. Share some tracks and be cool instead of tearing down each song posted....

Feb 9, 2003
that shit aint ol school funk P.E. that's boogie funk wit all that 80's synthesizer shit
He obviously doesn't know funk if he's dismissing Parliament and music from the 70's as played out and "jus some 70's funk."

Funk is music being played on the one. Funk is having a tight brass section. Funk is a funky bass line. Funk is Curtis Mayfield type wind instruments. Funk is primal African drum beats.

He's obviously too stupid to realize, that although more popular, 80's synth funk is not the true funk. And it's weird that he keeps calling it that old skool funk when it's more like 3rd generation funk. The true funk is groups like Sly and the Family Stone, Parliament, Jimmy Castor Bunch, Tower of Power, Issac Hayes and Curtis.

Oh...and James Brown.

80's funk is, like I've said very much removed from the original funk sound. Is it funky? Yes. But it ain't stripped down funk.

Listen to Parliament's Motor Booty Affair. Then go and listen to George Clinton's Cinderella Theory. One of them was worked under the influence of Prince. But even with the 80's influence it was very much funk.

Now, take for example...I don't know, anything from Cameo after the group slimmed down and lost their brass section or just about anything from The Whispers. Their sound is incredibly different to what primal, basic funk should be. P-Funk kept their original funky sound. It's why they're originators. And the fact that PE is calling them played out shows he knows nothing on the subject.

Parliament/Funkadelic/P-Funk all Stars/George Clinton "solo" records are varied and much more than just "atomic dog." Go on little peewee P.E, go check out some of their more obscure classics like "do fries go with that shake," "french kiss," "quickie," and "bullet proof."

You may be able to dismiss the funk opinion of others on this site because only about 3 people know anything about funk but I obviously am a funk guru to you.

So do the following:

1.keep your mouth shut unless you're going to contribute to this thread because for all the talking you're doing you ain't posted nothing up.

2.never dismiss 70's funk as jus some 70's funk. 70's funk IS FUNK.

3.don't talk like you even know about "rare" funk. that just makes you into a funk elitist [btw do you know who the Day-Z's are? THAT is obscure funk]. Any true funk fan knows that if you fake the funk, your nose will grow, bubba. Now, if you want to delve into really rare funk then you'd be familiar with latin funk. Latinos, Whities and Afro-Cubans reinvented the genre. And although groups like Sapo, Azteca, and Ocho never got the same sorts of commercial success that groups like The Isley's did, they're much funkier than the majority of anything you could even dream of posting. Which, of course you wouldn't because you seem to think that funk was at it's funkiest in the 80's.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I need to expand my funk collection on my ipod....I got records and shit but I can't play them now....this thread is dope tho

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
FUNKFEST 2010!!!......2morrow night,...greek theatre in L.A!

MORRIS DAY AND THE TIME!....THE BAR-KAYS!.....LAKESIDE!.....SLAVE!....KLYMAXX!

ALL I KNOW IS THAT IF STEVE ARRINGTON SHOWS UP AND COMES OUT WIT SLAVE,..ITS ALL OVER!

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Finally, the Sicc's very own Lisicki & R8R teamed up and put together a MUST have Funk MixCD! Scrolling through this thread I see some great funk tracks and folx like us that enjoy that shit so check out this video, track listing and get at either myself or Lisicki to get your own copy of Funk 101 Hosted by the Legendary Kokane. $10 shipped or $7 digital. Pay pal to ([email protected]) or ([email protected])

01. Kokane * From The Funk To The Back
02. Mtume * Hip Dip Skippdabeat
03. George Duke * Dukey Stick
04. Larry Graham * I Feel Good
05. The ADC Band * Long Stroke
06. Yarbrough & Peoples * Don't Stop The Music
07. The Fatback Band * Gigolo
08. The Bar-Kays * You Made A Change In My Life
09. Ozone * Strut My Thang
10. Starpoint * I Like It
11. West Phillips * I'm Just A Sucker For A Pretty Face
12. Tom Brown * Thighs High