WHITENESS, WHITE PRIVILEDgE

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
YEAH I AIN'T BEEN HERE IN A MINUTE. I WAS JUST SEEIN' IF N-E-BODY HEARD OF TIM WISE AND THE MESSAgE HE IS PUTTIN' OUT THERE. AND IF YOU AgREED OR DISAgREED.

Apr 25, 2002
Good to see that you still post here

There will always be Whites who don't get it or are in denial of White privileges. I don't think we could ever change that, however real progress is shown when you can rise above any present circumstances you're confronted with.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
Here is an essay I read and posted here:

http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=258708

Wake Up, White America!
by Tim Wise http://www.timwise.org/

I can think of no other way to say this, so here goes: white people need to pull our heads out of our collective ass.

Two more white children are dead and thirteen are injured, and another "nice" community is scratching its blonde head, utterly perplexed at how a school shooting the likes of the one yesterday in Santee, California could happen. After all, as the Mayor of the town said in an interview with CNN: "We're a solid town, a good town, with good kids, a good church-going town…an All-American town." Yeah, well maybe that's the problem.

I said this after Columbine and no one listened so I'll say it again: white people live in an utter state of self-delusion. We think danger is black, brown and poor, and if we can just move far enough away from "those people" in the cities we'll be safe. If we can just find an "all-American" town, life will be better, because "things like this just don't happen here."

Well bullshit on that. In case you hadn't noticed, "here" is about the only place these kinds of things do happen. Oh sure, there is plenty of violence in urban communities and schools. But mass murder; wholesale slaughter; take-a-gun-and-see-how-many-you can-kill kinda craziness seems made for those safe places: the white suburbs or rural communities.

And yet once again, we hear the FBI insist there is no "profile" of a school shooter. Come again? White boy after white boy after white boy, with very few exceptions to that rule (and none in the mass shooting category), decides to use their classmates for target practice, and yet there is no profile? Imagine if all these killers had been black: would we still hesitate to put a racial face on the perpetrators? Doubtful.

Indeed, if any black child in America -- especially in the mostly white suburbs of Littleton, or Santee -- were to openly discuss their plans to murder fellow students, as happened both at Columbine and now Santana High, you can bet your ass that somebody would have turned them in, and the cops would have beat a path to their doorstep. But when whites discuss their murderous intentions, our stereotypes of what danger looks like cause us to ignore it -- they're just "talking" and won't really do anything. How many kids have to die before we rethink that nonsense? How many dazed and confused parents, Mayors and Sheriffs do we have to listen to, describing how "normal" and safe their community is, and how they just can't understand what went wrong?

I'll tell you what went wrong and it's not TV, rap music, video games or a lack of prayer in school. What went wrong is that white Americans decided to ignore dysfunction and violence when it only affected other communities, and thereby blinded themselves to the inevitable creeping of chaos which never remains isolated too long. What affects the urban "ghetto" today will be coming to a Wal-Mart near you tomorrow, and unless you address the emptiness, pain, isolation and lack of hope felt by children of color and the poor, then don't be shocked when the support systems aren't there for your kids either.

What went wrong is that we allowed ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of security by media representations of crime and violence that portray both as the province of those who are anything but white like us. We ignore the warning signs, because in our minds the warning signs don't live in our neighborhood, but across town, in that place where we lock our car doors on the rare occasion we have to drive there. That false sense of security -- the result of racist and classist stereotypes -- then gets people killed. And still we act amazed.

But listen up my fellow white Americans: your children are no better, no nicer, no more moral, no more decent than anyone else. Dysfunction is all around you, whether you choose to recognize it or not.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, and Department of Health and Human Services, it is your children, and not those of the urban ghetto, who are most likely to use drugs. That's right: white high school students are seven times more likely than blacks to have used cocaine; eight times more likely to have smoked crack; ten times more likely to have used LSD and seven times more likely to have used heroin. In fact, there are more white high school students who have used crystal methamphetamine (the most addictive drug on the streets) than there are black students who smoke cigarettes.

What's more, white youth ages 12-17 are more likely to sell drugs: 34% more likely, in fact than their black counterparts. And it is white youth who are twice as likely to binge drink, and nearly twice as likely as blacks to drive drunk. And white males are twice as likely to bring a weapon to school as are black males.

And yet I would bet a valued body part that there aren't 100 white people in Santee, California, or most any other "nice" community who have ever heard a single one of the statistics above. Even though they were collected by government agencies using these folks' tax money for the purpose. Because the media doesn't report on white dysfunction

A few years ago, U.S. News ran a story entitled: "A Shocking look at blacks and crime." Yet never have they or any other news outlet discussed the "shocking" whiteness of these shoot-em-ups. Indeed, every time media commentators discuss the similarities in these crimes they mention that the shooters were boys, they were loners, they got picked on, but never do they seem to notice a certain highly visible melanin deficiency. Color-blind, I guess.

White-blind is more like it, as I figure these folks would spot color mighty damn quick were some of it to stroll into their community. Santee's whiteness is so taken for granted by its residents that the Mayor, in that CNN interview, thought nothing of saying on the one hand that the town was 82 percent white, but on the other hand that "this is America." Well that isn't America, and it especially isn't California, where whites are only half of the population. This is a town that is removed from America, and yet its Mayor thinks they are the normal ones -- so much so that when asked about racial diversity, he replied that there weren't many of different "ethni-tis-tities." Not a word. Not even close.

I'd like to think that after this one, people would wake up. Take note. Rethink their stereotypes of who the dangerous ones are. But deep down, I know better. The folks hitting the snooze button on this none-too-subtle alarm are my own people, after all, and I know their blindness like the back of my hand.

Tim Wise is a Nashville-based writer and activist and can be reached at [email protected]

Jan 17, 2008
Blah blah blah, another person who blames "white america" when its in fact everyones problem. The drug dealing stat is a little off. What is failed to be noticed is that different drugs are more likely to sell in different communities. Crack sells in Black communities. LSD sells in white communities. Weed sells in both. Its not really true that white people sell more drugs. Its almost 50-50. Because I have met black people who sold/sell crack. I have not met many white kids that do. Its the same with LSD more white kids sell it then black kids. Iam not buying into what this guy is saying. He thinks he "knows" what is really going on......I hate to tell him...he does'nt. Its far deeper then a race issue. Iam white and I have worked for everything I own. There is always two sides to every story. Some of things this guy said are accurate; however, some of things stated are not.

For instance, most rappers are portrayed as being thugs. While most rock and roll singers are potrayed as harmless kids looking to blow off steam. I think music plays a heavy influence on peoples perceptions of other cultures. Most mainstream rap music is ignorant. When people see "thugs" on the television they may think that all black people are like this. So in the case of a black male talking about killing/shooting up a school, a person who has not seen a real black person (Besides the "thugs" in rap videos) is quick to pass judgement.

An example that I think is great for this topic. Imagine the following.

Say a couple of white kids (15-17) go to the hood to buy weed. If they get jumped by a group of black kids, (they have never met a black person outside of the person they knew to get the weed) and they inturn have a dislike of black people, is that their fault? Picture the same situation for a black kid who gets jumped by racist white people. Is it his fault if he dislikes white people for that?

The above example was told to me from a friend of mine (black male) who witnessed his friends jump a white kid.

America is a funny place.

Jan 17, 2008
^^^^Nice shit talking. I speak based on personal experience, you are just being disrespectful. Move it long "superego".

Oh yeah nice use of Freudian theory. Don't you have some children to molest as indicated by the comic that you have in your sig. I bet that will satisfy your "superego needs."

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
WHAT UP TENKAMIN? IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR. I JUST THOUgHT I DROP SOMETHIN'. gO TO MY MYSPACE PAgE.

BUT gOOD LOOKIN TONY206.

THE PRINCE,
YOUR FORSHORTENED VIEW IS WHAT THE MAIN POINT IS.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
The way I see it, shit's gotten way worse in our society since the civil rights era. Any minority bringing up race is going to get attacked by white folks no matter what, and any white person bringing up race is going to get attacked by colored folks no matter what.

Instead of looking at these issues with change and improvement in mind, people are stuck playing the "you're race has it better than mine" game. People seem to fight over who gets oppressed more, but the fuckin point is that WE ARE ALL oppressed, just at different levels. The bottom line should be to unite and destroy the system that oppresses ALL of us, but instead, people fight amongst eachother arguing over stupid shit.

I noticed white people especially getting offended over anything that has to do with minorities, as has been obvious on several occasions on this website. Y'all still have it better, institutions favor your kind. There is no argument you can make, the evidence is emperical. Just look at the distribution of wealth in this country in regards to race...

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
^^^^Nice shit talking. I speak based on personal experience, you are just being disrespectful. Move it long "superego".

Oh yeah nice use of Freudian theory. Don't you have some children to molest as indicated by the comic that you have in your sig. I bet that will satisfy your "superego needs."
Obviously you need to learn what superego is.

Freudian theory? Nah, I was using Prince logic..."what little I have encountered, correctly represents the entire population."

And that is my personal experience, actually.

Classifying persons or races based on personal experience with them, which is very limited in terms of the whole population, is extremely bias and prejudice.
The way I see it, shit's gotten way worse in our society since the civil rights era. Any minority bringing up race is going to get attacked by white folks no matter what, and any white person bringing up race is going to get attacked by colored folks no matter what.

Instead of looking at these issues with change and improvement in mind, people are stuck playing the "you're race has it better than mine" game. People seem to fight over who gets oppressed more, but the fuckin point is that WE ARE ALL oppressed, just at different levels. The bottom line should be to unite and destroy the system that oppresses ALL of us, but instead, people fight amongst eachother arguing over stupid shit.
Exactly. People just point fingers and make excuses all damn day. They don't live up to their responsibilities and take ownership for themselves. I never blame anyone or anything for my shortcomings or mistakes.

Jun 27, 2003
Blah blah blah, another person who blames "white america" when its in fact everyones problem. The drug dealing stat is a little off. What is failed to be noticed is that different drugs are more likely to sell in different communities. Crack sells in Black communities. LSD sells in white communities. Weed sells in both. Its not really true that white people sell more drugs. Its almost 50-50. Because I have met black people who sold/sell crack. I have not met many white kids that do. Its the same with LSD more white kids sell it then black kids. Iam not buying into what this guy is saying. He thinks he "knows" what is really going on......I hate to tell him...he does'nt. Its far deeper then a race issue. Iam white and I have worked for everything I own. There is always two sides to every story. Some of things this guy said are accurate; however, some of things stated are not.

For instance, most rappers are portrayed as being thugs. While most rock and roll singers are potrayed as harmless kids looking to blow off steam. I think music plays a heavy influence on peoples perceptions of other cultures. Most mainstream rap music is ignorant. When people see "thugs" on the television they may think that all black people are like this. So in the case of a black male talking about killing/shooting up a school, a person who has not seen a real black person (Besides the "thugs" in rap videos) is quick to pass judgement.

An example that I think is great for this topic. Imagine the following.

Say a couple of white kids (15-17) go to the hood to buy weed. If they get jumped by a group of black kids, (they have never met a black person outside of the person they knew to get the weed) and they inturn have a dislike of black people, is that their fault? Picture the same situation for a black kid who gets jumped by racist white people. Is it his fault if he dislikes white people for that?

The above example was told to me from a friend of mine (black male) who witnessed his friends jump a white kid.

America is a funny place.
You don't got to buy it fool, those are quoted stats collected by the government of America fool. What do you mean, "black ppl use crack" according to those statistics, its WHITE ppl who are 8 times more likely to use crack than blacks... so wtf are you talking about??

It's "almost 50/50" because you've met black ppl that sell crack and not whites? So because you met maybe one black doode that sells crack, it must mean that all blacks sell crack and whites don't. wtf are you talkin about fool, you didn't collect data on a sample population of America did you? shut the fuck up, you have no argument here when you're making your "50/50" statistics up.

Good for you if you had to work for everything you own. That doesn't negate the fact that there's white privilege in America. Whether you acknowledge it or not, there is. Even if you're not the richest of rich white folk in this world, you've still got it better than the average black, hispanics or other non-white person who net worth equals yours. That's just the way it is, even if you personally don't think you've benefited from white privilege, you have.

You pulling statistics out of your ass and trying to use them as the basis for your argument just shows that you missed the entire point of what was written, how about you go back and re read the damn thing and get your facts straight.

Oct 6, 2005
Tony206, nice post... Tim Wise made a lot of valid points... Those on the margins expose the faults and cracks in our system first... When we collectively decide to ignore those faults they expand and grow... Slowly moving from the margins to the center...

Apr 25, 2002

That's because the issue in this country is class and privilege and not race. Example: I work with a black male who added 100 hours to his monthly hours he did not work. A white male, me, did all the work he claimed to do. He was rotated off our shift but was not fired. Why? Because his mother is a big shot in a related business. He, according to management "had to be hired" and "can't be fired." When I asked management if I could be fired for that, they said "in a second!"

I noticed white people especially getting offended over anything that has to do with minorities, as has been obvious on several occasions on this website. Y'all still have it better, institutions favor your kind. There is no argument you can make, the evidence is emperical. Just look at the distribution of wealth in this country in regards to race...
If you are latino, not in a gang, not in trouble with the law, minding you own business, going to school and/or work to pay your bills and do your thing, don't you feel kind of weird when white people look at you like you are a gangbanger just because you are latino and may have baggy clothes/tattoos or a look to you? "Those people" ruined our community, they probably say. Are you offended?

How do you think a white person, who never owned slaves, never took land from Mexico and whose family immigrated in the 1900s, whose pops worked in a union and whose mom is unemployed, who got good grades in high school and took out loans to go to school, who got their own job with no special privileges, works hard every day to keep that job, support a family feels about being blamed for the problems of minorities every day and every time race comes up? "Those people" ruined our community, the minorities probably say.

Of course some white people get offended, because not all white people are born into privilege, nor are they entitled to all the perks minorities may think. And when it comes to race, often that is the picture that is painted. The rich white are entitled to the same privileges rich blacks, rich latinos, and rich asians are.

White people are favored in the system, there is no disputing that, its a matter of opinion but I feel that is changing, and white people can't always be used as a scapegoat for everyones problems.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
That's because the issue in this country is class and privilege and not race. Example: I work with a black male who added 100 hours to his monthly hours he did not work. A white male, me, did all the work he claimed to do. He was rotated off our shift but was not fired. Why? Because his mother is a big shot in a related business. He, according to management "had to be hired" and "can't be fired." When I asked management if I could be fired for that, they said "in a second!"

If you are latino, not in a gang, not in trouble with the law, minding you own business, going to school and/or work to pay your bills and do your thing, don't you feel kind of weird when white people look at you like you are a gangbanger just because you are latino and may have baggy clothes/tattoos or a look to you? "Those people" ruined our community, they probably say. Are you offended?

How do you think a white person, who never owned slaves, never took land from Mexico and whose family immigrated in the 1900s, whose pops worked in a union and whose mom is unemployed, who got good grades in high school and took out loans to go to school, who got their own job with no special privileges, works hard every day to keep that job, support a family feels about being blamed for the problems of minorities every day and every time race comes up? "Those people" ruined our community, the minorities probably say.

Of course some white people get offended, because not all white people are born into privilege, nor are they entitled to all the perks minorities may think. And when it comes to race, often that is the picture that is painted. The rich white are entitled to the same privileges rich blacks, rich latinos, and rich asians are.

White people are favored in the system, there is no disputing that, its a matter of opinion but I feel that is changing, and white people can't always be used as a scapegoat for everyones problems.
You misenterpretted what I wrote. It's the SYSTEM that favors white males, and I am not "scapegoating" the race or the people as a whole. I am pointing out that the system favors whites, much like you admitted in the final paragraph you wrote. And I believe there is evidence that things are changing, but NOT FOR THE BETTER! Look at the levels of poverty for minorities, look at drop-out rates of minorities. Schools and prisons are included in what I refer to as the "SYSTEM".

Look at the prison system and the school system and show me how things are changing for the better.

And like I said, don't take what I wrote as a personal attack on the white people of this country. They are oppressed by the same system that oppresses me, it just oppresses us at different levels and that creates division within the working class and absolutely no unity, which helps continue the cycle because the fight is a fight for all people of this country and not just blacks by themselves fighting for black rights and Mexicans fighting for their rights. It's about the elites manipulating the global economy to only help themselves and their strategies to keep the masses divided.

This issue in America is class, but race is entangled in it and has been from the very formation of this country. If you believe that the issue in America is purely class with absolutely no race involved, than I strongly disagree with you.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Class and privilege are directly related to race. Your example means nothing to the statistics showing blacks being incarcerated more than ever, dropping out of school more than ever, and becoming more poorer than ever.

White people looking at me like I'm a gangbanger, fieldworker, Jack in the Crack employee, or whatever stereotype you wanna throw in doesn't offend me at all. On the other hand, a policeman (System) stereotyping me as a gangmember, handcuffing me and treating me as if I were one, THAT does offend me.

No special privileges? If you're white, you have special privileges point blank! Whether YOU accept them or not makes absolutely no difference. You didn't have to own slaves or take land from Mexico to get the benefits of a society that did.

There are some token blacks, asians and latino's, but the majority of those minorities live in poverty. A few minorities are allowed to join in the oppression of the masses and we have equality? I think not!

Change is happening, but towards the wrong direction.