Wherehouse Bankruptcy

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Wherehouse filed for Chapter 11 this morning!

Where does this leave you?

If you’re a better label it may just in fact be a blessing in disguise.
If you’re a boo-boo label then you may start to hear the distant cries of the fat lady getting closer to you.

Less stores will now mean that retail will become way more careful with what they bring in.

This will be like a stone thrown into the calm pond. There will be a ripple effect. And it can be devastating to those not prepared.

Musicland and Trans World are closing down WAY TOO many stores.

So be about your business!!!!
Gotta go for now!

Cuda

Apr 25, 2002
From wherehousemusic.com...

---

Wherehouse Entertainment, Inc. Files Chapter 11 to Achieve Capital Restructuring Initiatives

Torrance, Calif. – January 21, 2003 – Wherehouse Entertainment, Inc. announced today that in order to facilitate its capital restructuring initiatives and streamline its operations, Wherehouse and its subsidiaries filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. Since the installation of the Company’s current senior management team in June 2002, a comprehensive review of all operations including the corporate headquarters has been underway. As part of its program to improve its competitiveness and profitability, Wherehouse recently closed 30 stores and expects to close an additional 120 unprofitable or underperforming stores within the next several months. Wherehouse expects that its remaining approximately 250 stores will form a solid basis for a return to profitability. These stores will continue to operate as normal.

“After careful evaluation of various restructuring and recapitalization alternatives, we concluded that a voluntary reorganization under Chapter 11 presents the most effective means to restructure the Company’s operations, strengthen its capital structure and position Wherehouse to compete effectively in the new music industry,” said Wherehouse President and Chief Executive Officer Jerry Comstock.

He said the increase in illegal downloading music and CD burning, coupled with continued pressure from the major discount retailers to sell product below cost has resulted in significant sales declines for the specialty retailer.

“The retail music environment has changed dramatically in the last three years and through the Chapter 11 process we believe Wherehouse will be able to restructure its operations and exit underperforming stores while creating an appropriate capital structure that will support re-investment in our stores,” Mr. Comstock said.

As part of its restructuring initiatives, the Company intends to re-invest capital in its stores to create a more interactive environment for its customers including remodeling the stores, increasing listening availability and installation of interactive kiosks.

Mr. Comstock said that neither Wherehouse’s customers nor its employees at its continuing stores will notice any difference in operations as a result of the filing. During the reorganization process vendors will be paid for post-petition purchases of goods and services in the ordinary course. The Company has asked for Court permission to continue to honor its current customer policies regarding merchandise returns and to honor outstanding gift cards, so that there will be no impact on customers. Courts typically grant such requests and Wherehouse expects that the Court will do so here.

“Wherehouse has been in continuous operations for over 30 years and we anticipate that the vast majority of the music labels, as well as our other vendors, will recognize the value of doing business with us long term. With their support, the hard work of our employees and the actions we are taking to restructure our balance sheet, rationalize the number of stores, and continue initiatives to improve our product mix, we are confident Wherehouse will emerge from this process as a stronger, leaner, more efficient operation.”

The Company and its subsidiaries filed their voluntary Chapter 11 petitions in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware in Wilmington.

Based in Torrance, California, Wherehouse Entertainment, Inc. is one of the leading specialty retailers of prerecorded music, videocassettes, DVDs, video games, personal electronics and accessories in the United States. The company currently operates 370 retail stores in 23 states under the names Wherehouse Music, Tu Musica, and XChange

Wherehouse successufully recovered from Chapt. 11 bankruptcy a few years ago to become the largest chain before Best Buy bought Transworld. They might be able to do it again but in todays post-dot-com economy that may not be possible without securing a loan and/or serious finniacial restructuring.

I think they made their first mistake buying Blockbuster Music several years ago. Their second mistake was trying to expand much too quick.

You never know though they could squeek by like Tower has, but even Tower has its days numbered unless it makes huge changes in its management and finiacial decisions. It has already started doing that by firing a lot of the old management from the pre bancruptcy days and severeral people from the Bayside side of things.

The music industry is learning it isn't above the laws of economics. The laws of supply/demand do apply to music and
elasticity does not. And unlike Hillary Rosen would have you believe simple economics is more to blame than piracy.

I'm sure we will here of more of this uness the industry decides to remove their head from the sand.

Jun 29, 2002
www.sicflow.com
Shit, I've sold out of all my cds at all the Wherehouses in Arizona 4 weeks ago and they said they don't have the budget to reorder more for atleast another 4 weeks. Trust me I lost out on alot of sales. They will only be closing some stores and will be restructuring their organization over the next couple months.

Apr 25, 2002
Chapter 11 is difficult to come out of though unless the company is bought out by a more financially stable company, which results in a complete management overhaul.

I guess if Wherehouse has done it before, they might be able to pull out of it again. Consumers won't be affected, but employees of the company sure will. When you file Chapter 11, it makes most of the current debts very difficult to be paid quickly because everything has to go through Trustee approval paying the largest or most important debts first. The long wait for payment destroys a lot of business relationships that can't always be mended. This makes it more difficult for the business to operate from that point on, almost like it has to start fresh and build new business relationships.

Apr 25, 2002
I understand that less stores means less of an economy but in my opinion as a consumer you need to offer the best services to stay in the business and everyone who has bought a cd from the Warehouse or Sam Goody knows that they don't offer the best services...their prices were artificially inflated which drives away costumers who dont feel like paying 18.99 for something that way 12.99 five years earlier...
Hopefully the Indy stores will jump on this oppurtunity and make buying music a cheaper and better experience...could you imagine an Amoeba or Rasputin's in a hot mall location like where the Sam Goody was in Serramonte Mall!?

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
We may be possibly jumpin into the mom and pop biz...

I know there's a state of emergency in the industry...but we may still give it a shot... plus there's not a nicely priced and wellstocked mom and pop location within 40 miles of Merced... so maybe we can service a niche market.

oh yea... Wherehouse owes us bread right now ... and they put us off for like 3 months now... so i assume another 3 months is in order unless they jus gonna say they cant pay us.

Indie labels .. how many of u are willing to sell your product at dirt cheap costs to possibly maximize your central valley expozure?

let us know... becuz we're seriously contemplating entering the retail biz... and we'd like to know whoz down and who aint... I''m more interested in hearing what the established labels with 3 or more albums in there catalog have to say.

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
yup and between the two of those locations cds are $17.99 and up and they dont carry much of nuttin....
maybe we can cater to a niche market...

we'll know by Friday if we're gonna open up shop....

The long wait for payment destroys a lot of business relationships that can't always be mended. This makes it more difficult for the business to operate from that point on, almost like it has to start fresh and build new business relationships.
And if when they DO start paying back debts it won't be at face value. Usually it will be @ .25¢ - .50¢ on the dollar. And they will send their returns back at full price.

So all you labels/artists who have money owed to them by WH will have to wait a good 6-12 months if they do actually pay you back and then it will be only 1/4 - 1/2 of what they actually owe you.

A lot of times companies will only pay back the largest debts. So you labels that are owed only a few hundred or thousand will most likely not see anything.

Good luck with the store Keith. If you do it right and have a good biz plan you might be able to fill that void.

May 17, 2002
www.siccness.net
og MS said:
We may be possibly jumpin into the mom and pop biz...

I know there's a state of emergency in the industry...but we may still give it a shot... plus there's not a nicely priced and wellstocked mom and pop location within 40 miles of Merced... so maybe we can service a niche market.

oh yea... Wherehouse owes us bread right now ... and they put us off for like 3 months now... so i assume another 3 months is in order unless they jus gonna say they cant pay us.

Indie labels .. how many of u are willing to sell your product at dirt cheap costs to possibly maximize your central valley expozure?

let us know... becuz we're seriously contemplating entering the retail biz... and we'd like to know whoz down and who aint... I''m more interested in hearing what the established labels with 3 or more albums in there catalog have to say.
MS- Have you heard of a little PLACE CALLED MUSIC TREND?

Anyhow to run a MOM & POP is hard even tho their really isn;t that many spots here in the valley! But you got placres like BEST BUY,WHEREHOUSE (lol),TOWER,NOW EVEN TARGET,AND YES EVEN K-MART selling shit under wholesale price it is very hard to compete! Not enough margin of profit in it,Why lose MONEY!

Thats why alot of store closing eberyone is UNDERCUTTING EVERYONE.Read the BILLBOARD evryweek,Youll see what i'am talking about! Yeah BEST BUY was selling SNOOP DOG for $8.99 THAT MIGHT BE GOOD FOR YOU THE COMSUMER BUT WE WILL SEE HOW LONG BEST BUY will last for ding that,They lost ,,MILLIONS in SALES cause of that,They didn;t make any real
money! Thats how this whole thing is starting BEST BUY owns SAM GOODY,SAM GOODY stores are closing down,WHWEREHOUSE BOUGHT OUT BLOCKBUSTER MUSIC THATS WHY THEIR IS NO MORE BLOCKBUSTER MUSIC,AND FROM THE LOOKS OF THINGS THEY'LL PROBABLY BE NO MORE WHEREHOUSE!

Yeah it looks like the end is coming!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents!

MS YOU AND ROB GOOD LUCK IF YOU DECIDE TO OPEN ONE UP!

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
us bein a label with history involved... and with great relationships with other artists and labels we could use that as an advantage... I'm not sayin it won;t be hard... EVERY business is critical for the first year. If you can weather the storm of a first year business... things can pick up. I'm knowin bout all the marketing ploys on these large merchant 's behalfs.. Best Buy & Target will sell cds for $8.99 and lose money while gambling to draw consumers into their stores... and with the hope and possibility they'll say hmmm... I actually need another DVD player... or I need a DVD too... or damn I could use surround sound on my home stereo etc... they lose money on the small shit such as cds ... but they aint trippin becuz they make it up on the other shit most people buy on impulse while in there. Just like Target and Wal-mart.. they sell so much shit that it all adds up in the end. 25 cents here... $2.15 there... $5 here... $35.00 there...
dealin in bulk the money rolls in .. in all shapes and sizes. But around here... how many stores are carryin' various underground indie releases ? nobody... it's a niche market that can be tapped with the correct approach and we intend to approach it strategically. thanx for the love.

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
yea Doongie... you're over in Hanford which is tremendously far from here. You think we tryin to compete eh?? HAHAHAHA but to answer your question.. naw I'm not familiar with a place called Music Trendz....

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
THE EASIEST THING TO DO IS SET UP YOUR STORE ONLINE FIRST, AND HAVE PEOPLE SHIP YOU THERE UNITS ON A CONSIGNMENT BASIS..... THEN IF AND WHEN IT GETS SUCCESFUL ENOUGH, GO RENT A SPOT, AND OPEN UP SHOP.... I THINK THATS THE BEST APPROACH.... ITS LESS OF A RISK.... A WEBSITE AND HOSTING IS CHEAP..... BUT RENT ON A PLACE AND HIRING PEOPLE AND GETTING A CONSISTANT AMOUNT OF BUSSINES IS VERY HARD...... THERE ALOT OF MOM AND POPS STORES I BE IN FOR A COUPLE HOURS AND SEEN 1-2 CUSTOMERS.... AND THEY SPENT ABOUT $20.... THATS JUST DONT PAY RENT, UNLESS YOU GOT A PLACE PLUGGED ALREADY....