What movie did you just watch and what did you think?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Every now and again a movie comes along that when you see the trailer you are not the least bit interested. And most of the reviews on it are pretty bad along with a fairly low raiting on iMDB. Then, someone whose opinion you value tells you it was a great movie. And so you watch it and are really taken back at how good it was. For me, recently, it was this:

I lovvee a good sci-fi movie and I found out a friend of mine thought the world of it. I decided to watch the movie and I thought it was fucking awesome. It's funny though cause the movie looked like shit in the trailer, and when I looked up the thread in this forum pretty much everyone thought it was awful. The one thing to note was that I knew ZERO about the original. Nada. When I thought of Tron I thought of Dave Chapelle. So I went into this considering it to be an original (for all intents and purposes).

I found that mostly those who obsess over the first film hated the story. I really thought that was one of the highlights. The visuals were obviously awesome. Idk I'm sure everyone in this forum disagrees with me. But this is one of those rare occasions when something so put off by society just impressed the shit out of me. And I'm sure it was the low expectations that allowed me to enjoy it so much. I'm reluctant to recommend this film to anyone based on the fact that I've only come across a few people in my life who actually like it. But if you REALLY enjoy sci-fi movies, I say go for it.

8.5/10

Nov 7, 2006
Watched Chronicle. Bought it as a blind buy since it went on sale on blu-ray for 9.99. worth every penny and was shocked by how good it was considering it didnt even seem that good in the trailer. Highly recommended

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
MONSTERS

Critics loved the film, however I thought it was contrived and lacked any real life or death consequences for the characters. The guy was a perv, the girl was quiet, and there was a lot of that "stare off into the distance" nonsense that a lot of critically-acclaimed films have.

The only redeeming quality to the whole thing was realizing the beginning of the film was actually just after where the film ends, and you couldn't really tell because you hadn't been a part of the character development.

2/5

Mar 18, 2003
I'm disappointed I wasn't able to see this in IMAX when it came out. I thought it was pretty good, but would have enjoyed it more in that setting.
I take it you didn't care much for the sequel? I'd be interested in the numbers of those who disliked Tron: Legacy who were fans of the original, and those who, like myself, have only seen Legacy. I'm actually pretty excited to watch the first one even though the effects look like ass. I think there's a great story here. Full disclosure: I am a computer 'nerd'.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
The only redeeming quality to the whole thing was realizing the beginning of the film was actually just after where the film ends, and you couldn't really tell because you hadn't been a part of the character development.

2/5
Wait...what? I don't get it. I watched that movie some time ago and thought it was boring and don't remember anything like you describe above...

May 4, 2002
Watched Chronicle. Bought it as a blind buy since it went on sale on blu-ray for 9.99. worth every penny and was shocked by how good it was considering it didnt even seem that good in the trailer. Highly recommended
really? i red boxed this and was baffled how i sat through the whole movie, knowing from the start the emo kid would fuck everything up. i gave it a 1.5/5. ive never heard anyone speak highly of this film. whatever tho

Mar 18, 2003
I liked it, but I would have enjoyed it more if I were able to experience it with a big screen and big sound.

I liked the OG Tron movie when I was a kid just fine too.
Oh okay, I thought when you quoted me you were refering to the original. That's cool though. I never knew about the first film growing up but in hindsight, the movie really was ahead of it's time when you consider the technology up to that point. I haven't seen it, but from what I've read there are concepts written into the movie that were not even conceivable at the time. At least not to the general population. Computers were damn near calculators back then.

Nov 7, 2006
really? i red boxed this and was baffled how i sat through the whole movie, knowing from the start the emo kid would fuck everything up. i gave it a 1.5/5. ive never heard anyone speak highly of this film. whatever tho
That's strange because i only bought it because everyone spoke highly about it. every movie site i go to gave it great ratings and even a ton of people here said it was real good. Spoilers dont effect me. I'm rarely watching a movie to be su8rprised at the end, i watch movies cause they're good and this was very good IMO. just my opinion.

May 4, 2002
we got a east coast west coast beef or what? jk. but really u didnt know what was gonna happen withing the first 30 mins?

movies are so sad these days im glad that theres a redbox, i dont buy dvds and i dont pay 12$ to see movies either.

Nov 7, 2006
we got a east coast west coast beef or what? jk. but really u didnt know what was gonna happen withing the first 30 mins?

movies are so sad these days im glad that theres a redbox, i dont buy dvds and i dont pay 12$ to see movies either.
I knew exactly what was going to happen right down to who dies. but i dont let spoilers ruin it for me if it's a good movie. some movies need that surprise at the end to be better and usually you watch them once and thats that. some movies may have a fanatastic ending but even after watching it was so good you can watch it again, like Se7en or The Godfather 2. I know comparing this movie to those are far fetched but i'm just trying to m ake the point that i thought the movie was good regardless of what i knew was going to happen. the story was good, the acting was good, the special effects were great and the character building was great aswell.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Cape Fear

Never knew Scorsese directed this, so I gave it a chance. Not his best work by a long shot and it's pretty hard to tell what are genre tropes he's harking back to and what parts are genuinely cheesy lol. Pacino's southern accent irked me and Nolte or the rest of the main cast didn't give particularly strong performances. 6/10

Inglourious Basterds

Finally got around to this. Contains some of Tarantino's best work as a director to date, also some of his shoddiest. Pretty uneven and that unfortunately holds it back from being as great as it could be imo. The first act and the bar scene are outstanding tho. Christoph Waltz was to this film as Heath Ledger was to the Dark Knight. Probably his 3rd best film to date but I still want to see the long cut of Kill Bill 1 & 2 put together they were showing in LA for a while.
7/10

The Silence of The Lambs

Classic, not much to say, great pacing, plot & character development. Parts do seem a bit cheesy but it's hard to tell if it just didn't age well or it's because they've been spoofed and parodied countless times over the years.
9/10

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Wait...what? I don't get it. I watched that movie some time ago and thought it was boring and don't remember anything like you describe above...
SPOILER ALERT

The people at the beginning that are filmed with the night vision camera: That's the group of soldiers who picked up the two travelers at the end of the film. The two civilians on the ground, the man holding the woman in his arms, are the same two boring ass people you follow throughout the entire film. It's possible the girl is dead. It's so sporadically filmed, I'm not surprised you didn't catch it.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
TROLL HUNTER

Foreign language film, I almost turned it off... With that said, I'm really fucking glad I didn't. The movie was awesome! I was totally hooked in the mythology behind it, and the human element added with the veterinarian. I can't really say enough good about the film. The trolls are really cool looking, too. It's Shaky cam and has a few things it trips over, but overall a fun movie to watch.

4/5

Dec 2, 2011
Mhu thulan
illuminatiguy.tumblr.com

love exposure is sion sonos epic and wierd 4 hours long comedy action drama. easy to watch in one sit, doesn't feel like its 4 hours, so much shit happening all the time. this dude yu and his gang are takin voyeur panty photos, so he can sin and confess to his dad who is catholic priest. and he is looking for his true love thru the girls. one day he looses "who took best photos last week" contest to his gang and yu have to dress up in drag and kiss random girl in the street. they see this girl yoko in trouble, she fights with some gang. yu in girls clothes helps her out and calls himself miss scorpio. they fall in love, yoko with miss scorpio, yu with yoko. then theres this fucked up girl koike who is planning something against yu and yoko and their families. plot in all shortness. amazing movie, funny and touching. sion sono, right now, hand down best thing from japan