What motivates atheists?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 29, 2002
If you believe that there is life after death and that life on earth is just a test, then you have a fairly obvious motivation regardless of how life is going for you.

but if you are an atheist, what motivates you? Now if life is good and you are not struggling then wanting to go on living is not a problem. but my question is for the atheists that are struggling or have struggled in the past?

Is the thought of this being the end motivation enough to keep going? but what if life is just not going your way at all. living paycheck to paycheck working two jobs cannot be easy on anyones mind so what motivates you to keep on going with your life?

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
i tend to be more goal oriented. make short term goals and work towards though. dont take the big picture in too much. everything on my mind are things within a year or so. handle things as they come. not one to think 25 years down the line,what i am going to do when i old,dying,any things along those lines

thats just my personality,have no idea if it is a product of my lack of religion

Mar 18, 2003
I asked myself a question similar to this just the other day. I came to the conclusion that perhaps Atheists are more centered towards self-gratification as opposed to living their life believing there is something more in the end. I put myself in the shoes of an Atheist and if I do not believe there is anything after life then I am going to use my time on earth to make it as enjoyable as possible, as well as the others around me. And if I was struggling, I would press forward in hopes that in time I will find myself in a better place. If there is only one chance at life then being down and out on your luck is no reason to give up.

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
well said...have to live this life to the fullest cause its the only one you have.

when i die,thats it

Mar 18, 2003
TONY206 said:
So atheists can't believe in some form of life after death?:rolleyes:
I wouldn't know. Personally I have never known an Atheist to believe in life after death. It seems to me an "afterlife" is supernatural and hints towards a higher power, which opposes Atheistic beliefs.

May 29, 2002
TONY206 said:
It was directed towards bayGIANTS who is inferring that the lack of belief in a god equals the lack in belief of life after death.
nitro put it well. but I am assuming you believe something different. please speak on it

May 29, 2002
Snubnoze said:
The fact that this is most likely our only opportunity to exist...
but thats too vague. sometimes people might feel like not existing would be better than having to go through the struggles life brings us. what would an atheist turn to for motivation in those times?

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
bayGIANTS said:
nitro put it well. but I am assuming you believe something different. please speak on it
Example: Buddhism can be described as atheistic but they believe in reincarnation. As for me, I'm not sure at this point in my life if I can define myself as an atheist or just agnostic. I believe in positive and negative energy but that is beginning to get tested as well.

May 5, 2002
bayGIANTS said:
but thats too vague. sometimes people might feel like not existing would be better than having to go through the struggles life brings us. what would an atheist turn to for motivation in those times?
Happyness? Who would want to go through their only chance to live UNHAPPY?

Dec 25, 2003
Nitro the Guru said:
I came to the conclusion that perhaps Atheists are more centered towards self-gratification as opposed to living their life believing there is something more in the end.
This is patently false. Atheists believe in material reality, and that of course, includes other people. Most atheists I know have a very well-developed sense of the importance of their actions and interactions with other people.

Christians, on the other hand, could be seen as being the self-centered ones, concerned with their own soul and their own possible eternal torment that they must avoid at all costs. In fact, if I were to sorth through friends and acquaintances and pick out who is genuinely concerned for others and who is generally accepting to other people, inviting of new experiences and chances to learn and grow, and open-minded in general, Christians would rank last on the list.

Is this because my social circle is too small, I dont know the right people, my perception is tainted, etc? Perhaps. But I think the more valid explanation is that there is something inherent to Christianity that causes people to write off and devalue the opinions and viewpoints of the "non-initiated".

Jun 15, 2005
Even though I'm not an atheist, I still wanna drop my two cents here.

To me, it wouid seem that nothing more than existence and living life in the present is enough motivation for anyone, let alone specifically atheists.

And, my belief in God doesn't mandate my religious actions are solely to gain me some kind of position in an afterlife. I am motivated strictly by what is going on at this point in time, and a relatively immediate future.