what keyboard i need to make west coast beats

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 22, 2004
Kem1kal said:
yo im wondering what keyboard i need to make westcoast basslines or beats
Damn near every keyboard has the same sounds, or similar sounds. You can probably find what you're looking for in any of em.
Try the Triton or Fantom S

Jul 12, 2003
yeh crack up, who cares? best to learn what i need to know while im still young, im saving up about 4k so i guess thats bout my budget, savin up my paychecks when i get my job

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
4 grand is enough for 2 workstations , MAYBE THREE IF YOU BUY USED AND GET AN EXCELLENT DEAL. Do you want 88 keys or 61?

MOTIF/MOTIF ES (TWO DIFFERENT BOARDS)
TRITON STUDIO/EXTREME (TWO DIFFERENT BOARDS)
ROLAND FANTOM X/S (TWO DIFFERENT BOARDS)
KURZWEIL 2661
XP6 60/80 (SAME BOARD DIFFERENT AMOUNT OF KEYS)

:HGK:

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
like the others were saying every board generally has the same kind of sounds, you just need to teach yourself the innerworkings of these boards or whatever and learn how to tweak them.

just a side note, workstations are totally over priced and overrated and quickly getting phased out. with 4gs you can have a killer software setup that would shit on a workstation if you ask me

recording software 300-700 bucks and as low as 100
a very high end midi keyboard 400 bucks
sample tank (VST) 300-400 bucks
decent set of monitors (speakers designed specifically for monitoring sound) 300-600 bucks
solid audio interface 200-400 bucks
reason 3.0 500 bucks

if you already have a decent computer with like 512 mb of ram (the more the better) and a decent HD my little list would be a wiser investment than a workstation which wont nessisarilly make you a good producer. Plus my route is way more expandible than a workstation, you can add sound modules VSTs, turntables etc etc the possibilites are only limited by how much ram and disc space you have. Do your reaserch, dont just get a triton cuz you think its the quick fix to sound like Dr Dre cuz that shit aint gonna happen just like that. Then again you might fall in love with a workstation, who knows. Play with shit, go to guitar shops and just fuck with stuff. Thats what i did and thats how I thought up the route i want to go with it. i personally like the software environment cuz i dont like the workstation sequencers that ive fucked with. I like to be able to see my work live and in living color on my computer screen and not have to squint to look at the triton for examples small blue screen.

Mar 15, 2005
you can always use both as well....get a triton and a good sequencing program and you can do a lot more than wit jus the triton alone....

wit me its a toss up...i felt the same way as you for a long time jayda....but then once i actually started using a triton i found some things about it to be better.....but if i had my choice id have a good hybrid setup and use software and hardware together....

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^thing is you can easily get as many keyboards as you like and implicate them in a set up like im talking about. you ever think of messing with sound modules??, all those happy sounds and synth tweaking without the keys and the hefty price tag, good space saver too. you also have the ever so popular MPC route which alot of people like as well.

Feb 10, 2004
www.soundclick.com
you should look into "rack modules" like the "mo phatt" "motif" "triton" "proteus2000" and shit like that.
the triton rack has more sounds than the work stations and you can hook up a simple 200$ midi controller to all of em.

Mar 15, 2005
aye Jayda....ive finally started to use reason....its pretty simple and i can see why many folks like it.....only thing i have a problem with is the fact that i cant use VST's in it....which is a big deal cuz piano and strings and other natural sounding instruments dont sound as good in sample format as they do when generated from a vst like the edirol hyper canvas and orchestral vst's that i use wit fruity loops.....i did like the subractor synth though....but to me Reason is mainly a synth tool....i dont like the sound of sampled pianos that cut off instead of naturally releasing and decaying...and as much as i messed wit the decay and release n such knobs i couldnt get a satisfactory sound.....

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
True cctyzo, Reason is best used as a slave in another program like sonar, pro tools etc but it is pretty solid as a self contained production tool comapared to other shit like it. I never have that clicking sound unless Im using a sound font wav or some shit like that, there are ways around that shit though, you can manipulate the playback of a sample pretty succesfully in reason. The new versian should be alot more versityle with that new combinator rack which you can make your own sounds by mulitlayering any device in the program, i cant wait to get to fuck with that shit! My secret weapon with that program is definatly the malstrom synth though, you can make some real kick ass basses and leads with that thing.