WHAT ALBUM PUT YOU ON TO BAY RAP???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 1, 2004
When I was about 12 and living in New Zealand I actually bought the The Source magazine and there was an article in there about Too $hort and they called him a 'Legend' with 15 albums or whatever at that time he had out.

I remembe thinking to myself 'Pfffft, legend! Whatever how come I had never heard about this guy' but I was intrigued because of the comments. This was 1996 and the Internet first came out so when my dad took me to work one day at the University he taught at, I jumped on and found Short's lyrics. I was mesmerized and kept printing and reading his lyrics because that's all I could find. While Short may have been big in the US, in the rest of the world at that time he was literally unknown. I had a folder with a printout of all his lyrics and it was like poetry to me.

I found his Cocktales CD later that same year in a $2 bin and copped it. To this day it I still one of m favourite albums ever...Motherfuckingshitgoddamnasshoe!!

I then got into other Bay Rap when I accidentally came across Baby Beesh, Jay Tee and Mac Dre on Napster - I remember being blown away and thinking "How is this stuff
not all over MTV"m
Interesting story, thanks for sharing!

adept1

Apr 14, 2019
I'm from Los Angeles, and I guess the first bay area rap I got put onto was Too $hort back in the late 80s.

Fast forward to 1992-93 I and got IMP Ill Mannered Playas and Spice 1's 187 He Wrote CDs after moving up to Santa Cruz. A couple years later I got into E-40, Celly Cel, Mac Mall, etc and it just snowballed completely out of control from there. I've been an addict ever since!

This is actually my first post on here. I used to be active on the orginal BART message board back in the days as well as 9-1-Siccness.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2014
Earth
I'm from Los Angeles, and I guess the first bay area rap I got put onto was Too $hort back in the late 80s.

Fast forward to 1992-93 I and got IMP Ill Mannered Playas and Spice 1's 187 He Wrote CDs after moving up to Santa Cruz. A couple years later I got into E-40, Celly Cel, Mac Mall, etc and it just snowballed completely out of control from there. I've been an addict ever since!

This is actually my first post on here. I used to be active on the orginal BART message board back in the days as well as 9-1-Siccness.

RIP BART