W-4 tax form? What to claim?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 16, 2004
I'm single, have one job and no one else can claim me, or can they? I added up A-F and got 2, what does that mean in terms of tax taken out of my checks? No one else is claiming me. I just need to know what is best, 0, 1 or 2. I put 2 because they said put a 1 if no one else will claim you as a dependent and put 1 if you are single and have only one job. Both questions I believe apply to me and put 2. I just don't want to pay any taxes come April. Take that shit out now and I'd actually want a refund. Someone please explain, I had a hard time with google.

Jun 8, 2004
www.myspace.com
If you don't have any kids or your parents aren't senile and dependent on you to live, then you have no dependents. (I actually don't even know if your parents would fall into that category, because you don't have to take care of them).

Jun 23, 2003
you need to only claim yourself man. so the total should be one. I know what your talkin bout how it adds to 2 though. I dont fuckin get it.

But it needs to be 1 total. Just to claim yourself. Depending on how much you make at your other job you could claim zero which I think they take nothing. but then all the tax you pay at the other job, you probably wont get back. it all evens out.

Hope that helps.

You can only be claimed by your parents if you live with them for most of the year I think. If you are over 18 and live alone then you stautus for federal is single and you only claim you.

and like dude said below \/\/ I meant to say expemt. not zero. Im high.

Nov 16, 2004
I don't have no kids, my parents don't depend on me. But what does 0-2 mean? What if I claim nobody? What happens regarding the amount of tax taken out of my income and 2?

Nov 16, 2004
TONY206 said:
Single 0 withholds the most, if you don't make more than $7825 you're not taxed anyways. You gonna make that much between now and Dec 31?
Yeah, I'll make over that. I don't understand the concepts of personal/withholding allowances in terms of taxes.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
smeezy said:
Yeah, I'll make over that. I don't understand the concepts of personal/withholding allowances in terms of taxes.
You are single and take care of yourself, so you claim yourself on your tax return. By claiming Single 1 on your W4, you will have money withheld on an estimate of what a person claiming that will owe in taxes, but it is usually over that amount so you get a refund. If you supported a kid, you would claim Single 2 on your tax return, claim them, and pay less tax for the year. So if you put Single 2 on your W4, you would have less tax withheld because they estimate you owe less.

Dec 12, 2006
The less you claim, the more they take out each month, but you'll get more back at the end of the year. You can claim single and 0 if you wanna get a bigger tax return, which isn't very smart because you're basically letting the government hold your money interest free. What I do is figure out what I need to claim based on my salary to break even at the end of the year, meaning not owe anything and not get anything back, and instead get my money during the course of the year and invest it. You know what I mean? But if you dont have the self discipline to save during the year and you'll just spend it anyway, claim 0 or 1 and just look at it as an interest free savings account.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
TONY206 said:
Single 0 withholds the most, if you don't make more than $7825 you're not taxed anyways. You gonna make that much between now and Dec 31?
You sure thats the #?

When I was 17, I pulled in exactly $13,500... I remember it clearly.. my first year of college..

.. and they didnt tax me one single penny.

I havent heard of any changes since the 5 years since then.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
Yeah I'm tired, I meant taxable income. He's gonna take the standard deduction $5,350 so that's $13,175.

If you had $13,500 of taxable income you had to have been taxed. 5 years ago in 2002, I'm assuming, anything over $6000 was taxed. There was a standard deduction of $4700 that year, so if you made more than $10,700 with no other deductions, you were taxed.

Apr 5, 2005
Claim ZERO! You get taxed more, but you'll end up getting it right back when you file your taxes! Thats the way to go!

I filed zero last year and had additional deductions and got back $3000.00

This year I think I should be getting or back....i'm deducting an additional $50 from every check....thats $1200 a year....chea!

Jun 15, 2005
Seriously, people think getting money back at the end of the year is the way to go.

IT IS NOT.

If you get money back at the end of the year, that means you didn't get all that you could during the year.

THE IDEA IS TO BREAK EVEN

You can change your w-4 as many times as you want throughout the year.

For instance, this month I am working intersession, so my check is gonna be a fat one. I wanna keep ALL my money this month, so I changed my w-4 to 99. Next month, I change it back to 1.

All this means is at the end of the year, I won't get back as much as when I just left it as 1 for the whole year.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
better hope your parents don't claim you as a dependant...

if you have issues with your taxes, all the 1-800 # in the booklet you should have gotten...and tell them you can't figure it out and need help...they should walk you through EVERY SINGLE step....i was lazy one year and just decided to call and they did it for me in 5 minutes...and you don't have to pay them like H&R block or any of those fuckin places....

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Psilo707 said:
You sure thats the #?

When I was 17, I pulled in exactly $13,500... I remember it clearly.. my first year of college..

Dont' you get taxed differently when you're a minor and a dependent? or were you not a dependent?

Nov 16, 2004
2-0-Sixx said:
Try to claim like 12 or 13.
OH FUCK I MISSED THE FIGHT. Dammit. I hella wanted to see Pavlik and Taylor fight. New job got me busy than a mug. Anyway I got my first check, it was $800, after taxes it was just above $600. I want to break even, fuck getting a refund at the end of the year. I guess I'll stick with 2...